Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 US Dubbed Anime Promotes Trash Talking - Minitokyo

US Dubbed Anime Promotes Trash Talking

Is it

True
2 votes
False
4 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Wslasher

Wslasher

Lone Samurai

Ok so I recently compared the original Japanese dialogue & US dubbed of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's & I just realized that the US versions seems like the characters are trash talking.

I mean, there was a scene in the original Japanese version where Yusei is on the ropes & his opponent tells him to concede the duel. But when I watched the US dubbed, they changed the dialogue to the fact that his opponent is taunting him that he doesn't know how to play & he should return to basics or something on the lines of this.

I'm not saying the Japanese version does not do this kind of dialogue, but not to the point that it sounds like the person is insulting the other guy's values or beliefs.

In fact, Pokemon is guilty of this. I remember 1 time that Ash was about to lose & his opponent just kept making remakes that he's a bad trainer or something along this line. I never really watched a original Japanese version of Pokemon to clarify this (cuz subbed episodes of Pokemon is hard to find) but I do think it's not suppose to be that kind of dialogue.

What do you guys think?

5D's Caption: Vol.1

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

I think this is somewhere along the same lines as UK anime licensors "fifteening" scripts to make it appeal to older crowds by basically putting in liberal (if not ridiculous) amounts of swearing in the titles they released.

As for your examples, that might be more of a cultural difference thing. Ok, so we're talking shows like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon here, but it's still different way of expressing oneselves.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

yea this is normal...they try to match the scene and lips to words a lot these days, it's cheaper than redubbing the voice thus it sounds bad and rough...and then the kids start to pick it up and then it goes down hill from there -_-

BuBbLeS!

Signature

AirMaster

AirMaster

ZAKU ZAKU ZAKU ZAKU!!!

Come on, they trash talk a lot in the japanese versions anyway. You guys do know that words like "kisama" "temee" "onore" aren't the kindest ones around?

Signature
Sig by Vivid-Rein..ph34r them Zakus XP
Check profile for groups :x

Wslasher

Wslasher

Lone Samurai

Quote by AirMasterCome on, they trash talk a lot in the japanese versions anyway. You guys do know that words like "kisama" "temee" "onore" aren't the kindest ones around?

Read my 1st post carefully:

Quote: I'm not saying the Japanese version does not do this kind of dialogue, but not to the point that it sounds like the person is insulting the other guy's values or beliefs.

5D's Caption: Vol.1

fujyoshi

fujyoshi

half elf flame haze

ok first of all 5Ds is a marketing conspiracy although I do see what you mean and ironicly in more kid anime. Even in GX in japanese Judai dueled Manjoume and there was one part where he was laughing and Manjoume says something like "is there something wrong 110" or something like that and in the dub he disses him and says stuff like "oh are you gonna cry big baby or something" .

Quote by AirMasterCome on, they trash talk a lot in the japanese versions anyway. You guys do know that words like "kisama" "temee" "onore" aren't the kindest ones around?

/heh thems fightin words :O although they didn't say there WASN'T trash tawk in japanese. In english it DOES seem like they have a more immature way of doing it though. I mean to go all into that is just phail but meh

meh sig banners are overrated

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.