Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Ethnic Profile: With or agaisnt it - Minitokyo

Ethnic Profile: With or agaisnt it

page 1 of 1 9 total items

I have this paper I have to do for my Critic Thinking. I having trouble writing it. We have list of topic to choose. The one that caught my eye was number eight. We have to choose one side. We either with it or against it.

"Ethnic profiling is an important tool for law enforcement in its efforts to keep us safe from crime/terrorism."

At first, I was against the idea of it. Using someone background to determine whatever their are crime or terrorist. No one want to feel as through they are untrustworthy. There has been many case someone or group is be blame when they didn't do anything. For example: 9/11, Arabs and Muslim were label as terrorism. A lot of them were beat, blame, arrest, etc.. . Not as individual person but as whole. Minorities and immigrant communities have reported discriminatory treatment by the police. I don't think there has been any evidence that ethnic profiling prevents terrorism or lowers crime rates and increasing evidence.

It make sense they use it for protection. People life will be endanger. Still I think is wrong, I can't seem to write them out.

I hope what I wrote make any sense. Any input on it. Wither you with it or against Ethic profile.

Thank you for your input.

Signature
Come and check out my group Neither-world for half-breed. or Gintama For yaoi stuff go to my Yaoi Channel Blog.

ArtificialRaindrop

ArtificialRaindrop

We're All Mad Here.

This is a touchy subject, so I just want to remind people to be level-headed when they talk about it.

There's a difference between ethnic profiling for the sake of questioning and rooting out potential threats and beating people on the streets because of racism. You have to be careful that ethnic profiling doesn't become racism, but they aren't necessarily the same thing. Looking at the Muslim community for questioning right after 9/11 was reasonable at the time because the acts of terrorism were from within that group. This does NOT mean that being Muslim makes you a terrorist (I have several Muslim friends, btw). Unfortunately people took it too far and used it as an excuse for exercising racism. And at the risk of sounding rude, it's ridiculous to say it should never be done. You wouldn't start pulling grandmothers aside at the airport simply to avoid racial profiling, right? It's effective when implemented to a certain extent, but people must be careful not to take it too far. This is especially true since we know from history that even if a group of a certain ethnicity commits an act in the name of their group, they aren't necessarily speaking for that entire group... and sometimes people who share their sentiments aren't even the same ethnicity.

Basically, it's not necessarily a bad thing when used wisely and carefully. It should NOT be as an excuse to outright mistreat people, however.

Signature ImageYou can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes you strong ~ Within Temptation, "Iron"
KHDownloads <-- Butterfly Chaser referred!

springheeljack

springheeljack

The Return

well Racial profiling is a form of racism and its generally used hand and hand with stereotyping..
it can take a variety of forms people are using racial profiling when they call all Muslims terrorist..and calling Black people lazy criminals and Hispanic people illegal immigrants.

You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
Bury my body in the fresh meat aisle
You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
And I will rise again like an exocet missile Signature Image

againist it

With a writing style like that, you are going to have trouble stringing together enough coherent sentences to make a conclusive argument.

The thing about "ethnic profiling" is that the broad meaning of the term covers too much for it to be considered bad or good. Moreover, it, as an action, can be used either for either the betterment or detriment of society, depending on intent.

Profiling, of every sort, is critical to any investigation, as well as a strong tool for proactively fighting some crimes. When done properly, it will be valid both logically and scientifically, and there is simply no valid argument against such evidence-based profiling that doesn't focus on personal views. It's common sense to use it to narrow down target populations, and it is hardly refutable that certain groups are more likely to engage in certain acts. And in fact, when it is ignored in the favor of political correctness, the refusal to give weight to a valid profile can result in consequences far worse than following it (ie: Fort Hood Shootings).

On the other hand, it can also be used as a weapon against ethnic groups. In such instances, the ethnic intolerance is invariably already present in the perpetrators, and simply used to disproportionally target certain groups. In that case, when it is based on prejudice instead of clear evidence, it is indeed a bad thing. However, in such cases, it must still be remembered that profiling, in and of itself, cannot be prejudice or racism, as those are thoughts. Misused profiling is the action that stems from them (aka: discrimination). And yes, discrimination is bad.

againist it maybe. dunno

In an absence of racism, there would be nothing wrong. But in reality, racism will always be present.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.