Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Trojan Email entitled 'Hi' - Minitokyo

Trojan Email entitled 'Hi'

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Wslasher

Wslasher

Lone Samurai

My dad got an email entitled 'Hi' w/c had no attached file whatsoever. Inside, it contained like a invitation to what seems to be a social networking site. My dad disregarded it but press Next instead of Delete.

Then I got an email w/ the same title. I opened it & decided to delete it because I was not interested. I ask my dad if he sent me anything but he said he didn't. I ask if he got the same email & he said yes.

It seems this so-called trojan hacks your email & sends the same content to other people in your directory. Because just now I got the same titled email from my mother w/c she denies sending. Not sure if it does something else besides what I stated.

I asked my friends if I sent them the same email but they said not as of the moment. How do I check my PC or email account got infected?

5D's Caption: Vol.1

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Anti virus software will tell you if you're computer is infected. If you do not have antivirus Avast is a good free anti virus program. http://www.avast.com. I use Norton but I have a friend who uses Avast and he says it's good. Your "e mail account" can't have a virus but you're computer can.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

For future reference, I'd recommend to be more careful with emails. If you do not recognize the name at all, or the subject line is one word or two, more times than not it's going to be something along those lines.

I'd have your parents run the software too and change the passwords to their emails accounts just to be on the safe side. I've had good friends end up having their accounts be turned into spam accounts.

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Kinda like how I filter all Cyanide's letters into my Junk folder, all Yuni's facebook invites to my recycle bin and all Sherill's proposal messages into the 'draft folder'. (For use on other individuals)
Should do what I do, open the e-mail and scan through the mail you got, any unknowns are just ticked and deleted before opened. I don't know, maybe I just hate random mail in general. It's a start anyway.
Anyway, you can just run scans on your computer and if it's clear, it's clear.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Running antivirus and antispyware softwares with up-to-date malware definitions databases. Both softwares do the possible to keep your computer without malware.

Both your computer and your e-mail account can be infected depending on the malwares you caught. Malwares can infect the boot sector of the hard and removable drives, files and attachments inside e-mails. Some malwares require special softwares and/or procedures to be removed. In this case, you'll need the help of some technical support. Most malwares can be removed with good antivirus and antispyware softwares even if your computer already is infected.

But even up-to-date antivirus and antispyware softwares can keep your computer clean if you don't do your part. If you don't know who sent you that e-mail, delete it without opening, because some malwares can be executed only by opening an e-mail. Avoid suspicious Websites. Finally, move the contact list of your e-mail account to some file on your computer. Without a contact list, the malware has no one to send e-mails with itself inside to.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.