Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Pixel size over dimensions? - Minitokyo

Pixel size over dimensions?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Recently some members are posting scans that are replacing other users scans just because of size and not really about dimensions and some of the scans that are being posted would be sometimes 9,000 pixels compared to the soon to be deleted scan of 2,000 pixel size. Since MT rules keep changing because of moderators and other issues and before it use to be dimension over size but now when I want to update some of scans I can't since I don't Have any way of getting the size bigger, for example there might be a scan from another site thats a 20Mb PNG and I convert it to jpeg and the size is at least 2Mb then submit it then after awhile someone else posts the same scan thats exactly the same in dimensions and from the same site but the pixel size would be over 7,000, Now what am I supposed to do Because I don't have any program that can make any of my scans larger in pixel size. This problem makes it totally unfair to me and other users that have the same issue and I don't want to lose any scans just because of such a dumb reason or just because of a moderator wants to have it their way so that they can have more scans under their belt or to let their friend replace a scan. I liked the way it use to be before where a scan would replaced because it was self scanned, or larger dimensions, and not because of size unless it was replaced because of being too small Ex: 200kb. I know that some scans aren't allowed because of having being enlarged but its just so unfair to go replace a scan over pixel size and I don't have money to be spending on programs like photoshop or whatever other programs there are that do a better job in keeping most of the pixel size when converting to jpeg.

MadoshiKurefu

Retired Moderator, Scanner

MadoshiKurefu

DESTIEL

Quote: because of such a dumb reason or just because of a moderator wants to have it their way so that they can have more scans under their belt or to let their friend replace a scan

That's not what we do. Or do you see that I'm filling up my own gallery with such a method? And I also don't choose scans of "friends" over scans of others. For me it doesn't matter who submits a scan and I certainly don't like to do meaningless reports/deletions like that. I just delete the one with the lower quality. I fullview both scans and compare them very closely. If I see a remarkable difference, in most cases it has no jpeg artifacts whereas the old one has jpeg artifacts, I replace the old scan with the new one. But if I don't see any differences I keep the old one. I don't delete old scans just because they have less megabytes.

Roses are red / Dean’s blood too / On his knees begging / “Please, this isn’t you” (SUPERNATURAL)

For me the problem big problem is the pixel size when converting png to jpeg because there's nothing I can do to fix it and I don't want to modify a scan since it violates rules and the recent trend is to go with the scan that is larger in pixel size even though they are exactly the same scan.

kayurachan

Retired Moderator

kayurachan

Mado&Fen are my Gods.

This is happening too often lately. And it's quite boring to spend a lot of time comparing scans in photoshop trying to find out a slight difference in quality...
Anyway yes, if the original source for a scan is png format, you could convert and re-conver it to jpg a thousand times but there will always be small, irrelevant differences in quality. That's why we don't see a point in replacing old scans if there's not much of a good improving in a new submission.

Signature
!Death to J-Rock scans! >.<
What is Kayurachan doing? Just see it on my userpage :3
Sheq says: XD one sec, eating an egg XP

Deagels

Deagels

Casual stockpiler

As far as jpeg format is concerned I tend to choose the highest resolution even if the quality formatting is poorer and hence filesize smaller.

Here's why. Activity: Create two jpeg versions of any picture, save one with quality 50 and resize the other with quality 100 until it reaches the same filesize and save that one too.
Examine the two pictures.

[EDIT] Also to add a second reason, I've become pretty damn good at jpeg artifact and noise removal in photoshop.

I will never see through all of the scans I have...

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Deletion Appeals | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.