Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 MT Review Discussion: What do you look for in a review? - Minitokyo

MT Review Discussion: What do you look for in a review?

Group announcement by Minitokyo-Review

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Hello reviewers,
When you read other reviews, what are key points you are looking for? By understanding what each other is interested in, we can focus on those areas to help improve our reviews.
Personally I like to learn more about the story and characters, with a particular focus on how story/character development works throughout a series. I don't want to see so much a plot summary or character list but how these things develop throughout the show/game, and whether it comes to a satisfactory conclusion or if details are left hanging.
Art and Sound are of secondary importance to me as it's story and characters that will sell me on a series, but it's nice to see if there are anything that stands out as being very good or very bad.
Fun is more important to me in a game review than a series/ova review, as I like to learn about different playability factors (ie fighting interface, cut scenes, things available after the main story is completed) which don't really fit in the other sections of othe review.

What sorts of things do you like to learn about in a review?

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

For me, it's really how a show affects the person that's reviewing it.

Sure, learning about the characters, story telling process, animation (or level design, graphics) and music are rather important factors. However, what really strikes me in a review is how much someone may enjoy something and seeing how they write about it. It's rather easy to tell simply by the first few paragraphs how much a person liked, disliked, or sits on the middle of the road with something. This alone speaks volumes to me and in a lot of cases encourages me even more so than flawless reviews about making a purchase. It's how I got into Diablo and Starcraft and what inspired me to make a lot of the purchases I have with my anime and video games.

Secondly comes story and animation. While I'm not picky about content and running on a small budget, sometimes it can really break a series to have far too much filler and no progression. Be it character wise or story wise. Animation is more so simply for visual reasons, simply because someone that really doesn't look good is rather difficult to watch. No matter how good the story itself may be.

Signature Image

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Particularly artwork and storyline to be honest.
For one thing , you can't really adjust to the older forms of drawing when your used to the newer types of Anime ( Well , unless it's something epic like Gundam Wing , Cowboy Bepop and Evangelion :3 ) and well , the storyline part of things is obvious enough.

I will gladly dodge any Anime with a cheesy sub-standard storyline with no kick to it , any romance which is simply too.. "sweet" and any storyline with so much fillers in it that it's becoming stale over time.

Weskalia

Weskalia

Half robotic cat half desbear

Heh! I particularly don't have harsh choice with anime, I'm actually the type of person who prefers the "inside" more than the "outside." There are many shows that have standard artwork but really thumb-down plot, artistry plays just a little part in what you call a great anime. Take Gankutsuou or Le Chevalier D'eon for examples, I didn't expect them to be great because of the mind-killing animation and artwork, then they became ones of their year's biggest bombs in terms of the "in" and "out." Craps like Hakuouki or Ikki Tousen are the complete opposite. As long as they can't fit both the conditions, I don't mind giving them the most negative points and reviews imaginable.

Beside, reviews are just one's own opinions, so they don't affect you much unless when you see great shows get low score while the bad one is the opposite. Now that really ticked off.

I'm believing you and I can do anything. We can change the world.
Hey, sky's the limit, we can spread wings. Through roadless travel, together we go!
Signature

I usually look for what's different about their review style. Like what is added to the review to make it stand out. But to me the story section of the review is what is the most entertaining portion of the review because it allows you to see the reviewers own unique take on the plot, story and character development. To me art and music are very important but I personally don't have much of an eye for detail in these sections and think that they take a back seat for me.

"Something beyond comprehension can inspire fear, or awe in people".

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.