Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Need help improving a wallpaper! - Minitokyo

Need help improving a wallpaper!

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

LotusEX

LotusEX

Sorrow...

Hi there!
I uploaded a wallpaper here in MT but it was deleted because of the following reason:
"Too simplistic,using the character enlarged and in lower opacity to fill the background is not advisable."
So I hope that you artists would help me improve the wallpaper by providing me with opinions and ideas,so that I might be able to upload it here without getting deleted!
And here's the wallpaper:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5820/queenofnightsample.jpg
Also please note that as an artist I'm just a beginner,I started using PS CS4 a short time ago [like 2 weeks ago],and the original size of this wallpaper is 1280 X 800!
Any help would be appreciated.

~[“If a man take no thought about what is distant, he will find sorrow near at hand.”]~
Signature

Kitaan

Retired Moderator

Kitaan

Revival

When you asked me before I told you the scan in back had to go, it's not really an acceptable fill for a background.
I suggest trying to get a bigger version of that scan, since it's clearly too small for the wallpaper size.
If not then you'll have to make the background work in keeping attention to the scan.

well it a very intreaging wally... however from what i have read... i think they kind of frown on after images.... you might replace that maybe by placeing a cosmos image in the background or something like that... lightening it up so you can see the bats in the moon better... or giving the moon a glow. it look a lil lop sided for my taste. but it really is a good concept... i think once you tweak it, it will really look great... hope i not to critical on it

LotusEX

LotusEX

Sorrow...

Quote by KittenWhen you asked me before I told you the scan in back had to go, it's not really an acceptable fill for a background.
I suggest trying to get a bigger version of that scan, since it's clearly too small for the wallpaper size.
If not then you'll have to make the background work in keeping attention to the scan.

Sorry should have listened to you in the first place but that's not the real problem you see,the problem lies in the simplicity of this wallpaper,and I don't think that finding a bigger version of the scan is easy!
So the first step is to remove the wallpaper in the back!

Quote by shinmoriwell it a very intreaging wally... however from what i have read... i think they kind of frown on after images.... you might replace that maybe by placeing a cosmos image in the background or something like that... lightening it up so you can see the bats in the moon better... or giving the moon a glow. it look a lil lop sided for my taste. but it really is a good concept... i think once you tweak it, it will really look great... hope i not to critical on it

Thank you but I guess adding cosmos won't change It's simplicity,so I guess something more advanced will do!
And the next step is to lighten the background!
OK that's a good start thanks to both of you!:)

merged: 04-01-2011 ~ 04:38pm
I improved my wallpaper a little but I guess It's still not enough!
Though I hardly managed to upload it:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3299/queensample.jpg
And here is what I did so far:
1.Changed the whole background (remade it).
2.Removed the enlarged scan.
3.added an out glow for the bats (to make them visible),also added an out glow for the character.
That's all I could do for now...hope to obtain more useful opinions!

~[“If a man take no thought about what is distant, he will find sorrow near at hand.”]~
Signature

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

I don't think the red glow was the best idea for this wall. Or at least it should be softer on the bats, and not on the character at all. That's my opinion anyway.

The idea with the moon and the bats wasn't a bad idea, a good one actually; it did bring out the vampire-ish, bats wings theme.
But it would be better if you used a less space-like theme because the character doesn't really blend into the space theme too well. Try going for night skies instead, with some landscape (ie. buildings) in the background instead. Or at least change the perspective, so that it looks like the sky is overhead, not like she's just pasted in front. Erm, I'll look for some reference for you in a bit.

I agree with Kitten, the after-image kind of undercut the quality of the scan you got the character from.
The circular gradients you used for stars don't blend in too well, the lens flare is also a bit bright. I don't blame you, I used to do that too, before. ^_^; The lighting on the character is bright, like she's being lit up from the right, slightly above. I think that's where the light source should be..

But you've made some good changes! It just needs quite a bit more tweaking.

EDIT: Some scans that have night skies all around but look natural. this is upside down :S but the technique is that the sky lightens up curvingly from the bottom up. The 'curved' clouds helped too, but I don't think you'll find cloud brushes that will help you on that..
This one has the same technique with the 'curves' but now it's lit up from behind with the moon! Note how the lighting is like. With your character, the moon/another light source would be as said, to the right, slightly above. Er, do I make sense?

It would be awesome if you had bat brushes that could be like moving around further behind her, in a more sweeping wave movement too. Just a suggestion.

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

Eeehh... well I think the upside-down technique is a little hurtful to the eyes, but having the sky all around might help, yeah.

I think an easy fix is to add something else to the BG. The sky, moon, and bats are nice, but it takes up the WHOLE BG. I think if maybe there was something else in the BG like her standing on a foggy cloud or a castle or something would look nice and add to the overall feeling of the wally. I like the red glowing on the moon and bats :D

LotusEX

LotusEX

Sorrow...

Thanks a lot for your time and opinion aozora and duhqueen,I'll think of something and maybe I'll try to remake it when I have the time!
anyway thanks again to all of you,and I'll see what I can do!

Signature

ai-yame

ai-yame

<3 Iridescent <3

Hi, Annosy! First of all, at least you managed to put up a wallie, and I thought the edited version, at the very least, looked decent enough than the first one. :)

The moon, bats, and sky stuff are all interesting concepts, but if you're going to push through with this girl, then it's either you change the background or the character herself. Let's say if you want to retain the background (with the night sky and all), try using a character who could blend in with the theme you wanted to convey through your wallpaper, but if you thought what I just mentioned was rather irrelevant, then have it your way through coloring -- give it some sort of 'soft' touch, something like that.

If you want to retain the character, maybe you can match with her a background that would sort of compliment the dominant color about her -- maybe her hair. Perhaps you might want to adorn her or the background with flowers [of the same color, probably?], clouds, etc..

This might be insignificant, but for someone like me who's a sucker for aesthetics, maybe you can try changing the watermark -- use a smaller size for the font, then try using a different font face. I understand Monotype Corsiva is this sort of 'elegant' font, but for some reason maybe it's just me who doesn't find it appealing. Try using either neutral fonts or other 'elegant' cursive fonts.

In the end, however, just focus in bringing out your character or whatever your focus for the wallpaper is supposed to be, given that you have the right background, the right coloring; make sure everything complements each other. All these are said in my humble opinion, so I still hope those points can help you even just a little.

Just do your best and don't be discouraged. :D

<3 It's too early for you to beat me. <3
Signature

LotusEX

LotusEX

Sorrow...

Thanks a lot ai-yame,appreciate your help!:)
And yes I kinda agree with your opinion,up until now everyone has a point!
Though the problem is I have exams coming soon!
But thanks again and I won't be discouraged,It's just that making a wallpaper is not as easy as thought!

Signature

Alright, good luck on exams and the wally! :D Anymore developments make sure to update~

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.