Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Advice for background to my first wallpaper - Minitokyo

Advice for background to my first wallpaper

page 1 of 1 7 total items

chiara

chiara

night owl

Hello, I'm working at my very first wallpaper and I'm not really content with the background. So I'm hoping at some advice.
Both images I've used are screenshots of the manga Ningyou Kyuutai Gakudan here and here.
All other used textures are done by me or included features in the used program.
I've worked with GIMP and not photoshop and hope thats acceptable.

Here's the current wallpaper:
Link

Hope the two different usernames are not a problem.

nocturnal-mts

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

One thing to definitely make sure of is to have a proper desktop resolution. That's a big must, but obviously you can work around that with it.

With that out of the way, the hand is completely out of place. I'd recommend just working around the bishie with the guns, because the disembodied hand just doesn't fit too well. If you plan on making it music orientated, I'd recommend focusing more on the music aspect of it. From a perspective, it looks like it's meant to be a more gorey wallpaper with music as an afterthought instead of the focal piece.

I'd also work on something that blends well with the character. The character you used is bright and the background is rather dark, which is a bit too much of a contrast.

Keep up the great work though, I'm curious about how this'll turn out in the end!

Signature Image

chiara

chiara

night owl

Thanks for the fast reply :D
You're quite right with the hand but if I've something in mind I can't let it go so easily unless sombody tells me otherwise. I can be quite stubborn at times and I really planned the music theme only to accompany the rest. You precisely put the finger on those matteres I myself are the most unsure with.

I will try to lessen the contrast between the background and Kohaku and find something to blend with him.

Very much thanks for your thoughts :D

nocturnal-mts

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I like how you got the blood dripping from the knife but I'm not certain how that might work with the piece, as well as it appears to be gun related. perhaps, if you do take that out, you could use that somehow in another piece? but I like how it is now, minus the hands, but maybe removing the hand might actually make it somewhat simple, but you could attempt without it, I was distracted by the hand and knives :/ it might actually bring it together as well. hope that this is some help, probably close to what cb stated though :/

BuBbLeS!

Signature

MisaSasekage

MisaSasekage

War Queen

I like the hair and the two different colored eyes, the knives themselves also look very cool. But the hand on the left holding them looks kind of weird. Because it's doesn't really fit in with the rest of the wall, it'd probably look better if you removed it.

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

I actually sort of like the hand there. lol. Though I would personally like it more if there was more shadow on it - personal taste though lol. I would pick on the music-score thing at the back though - i think it compromises the smoothness of the colouring you did of the character and the background, it looks a bit.. too textured. I got distracted by that, not the hand lol. ^^;
I also find the contrast between the character and the background a bit overwhelming but it could just be me.. not a big issue.

I think you've got a good thing going though. Just need it to be desktop resolution and blend the elements better together. :)

EDIT: Lol I should probably explain why I liked the hand there - I think you're going for a sort of battle, stand-off scene and trying to keep it mysterious as to who the hand belongs to or something.. Have I got it right? ^^;

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

chiara

chiara

night owl

Thanks a lot for all of your thoughts!
I will try out various variations to put the pieces together. I will probably alter the background altogether and remove the hand to work on the music more.
@aozoraskies
thanks that you liked the hand :D but your guess is not right. I tried to work with things related to the character and Kohaku has a limitless hidden weapon arsenal on himself - therefore the knifes and guns - plus he plays the violin so thererfore the notes and music relation.

merged: 04-15-2011 ~ 03:40am
So, I tried anew with the background. I tried to lessen the contrast with the background and removed the hand :) but now I must still work on the resolution.
So before my first wallpaper will be finished I need still to fix it and work on the resolution but I hope the compositon of the elemnts are ok now :).
New try (I know its resolution need still work so therefore no complaints about it):
Link

merged: 04-17-2011 ~ 11:22pm
Now, I've changed the background again because the other one didn't fit right in the whole composition so now I hope it's ok and the same goes for the resolution. A better resoluion for this whole wallpaper I think I can't manage to create so the only thing that's worrisome is the resolution.

Wallpaper Link

nocturnal-mts

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.