Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Dartha's List of Colorful Suggestions - Minitokyo

Dartha's List of Colorful Suggestions

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

I bet after reading the title, half of you came in here sighing uncontrollably and hovering that mouse over the delete button.
In any case, it's a compilation of suggestions I got from the community base which I bothered to type out.
(Or maybe this section of the forum is dead and I want to see a different icon on the 'Active Threads' tab)

Alright so I'll start with some basic stuff about the website. I noticed that every section is void of threads and posts especially in the more down-to-earth sections such as the discussion section and pretty much every section but the Off-topic one. The reason for this (as I've asked around) is that the off-topic section is the only part of the forum which -tolerates- any form of post which just misses the mark on the OP and as such doesn't really help very much if someone's goal somewhere is to try and -populate- another section and encourage posting elsewhere for that matter. So I don't think any section is really going to be used besides the O-T branch and if that continues into the far future (you know.. when I start creating my own robot butler) the forum will consist solely of spam which is something people are trying to prevent. I'd suggest slamming in a General Section that tolerates both spam and sensible posts in the same thread since such threads are disappearing. I've no solution personally but the Off-topic section is nearing a million posts and that's disturbing. (Well not really disturbing after reading the shoutbox for a day)
Perhaps we could have another section which allows discussion of anything while allowing garbage posts and off-topic posts that does not herald closure? You can argue that that in itself is the off-topic section but from what I'm looking at I can tell you that you missed the point.
Speaking of new sections, we should pin one for any GFX things we got going on here. After all, we're a forum community and people are sometimes in need of an avatar to their liking or perhaps a signature that actually fits with a ridiculous height resolution. (No, it's not your fault Sheqel..)

This next one is about Mods (don't stab me..)
- You close threads too soon and you grip off-topic posts harder than a biker grips handlebars. I won't go into detail for obvious reasons.

- One more thing commonly brought up is the shoutbox but nobody cares about that. It's a refresh-it-yourself mini branch with all the off-topic regulars RP'ing and causing enough drama that if you collect all of it you could write a script for Paramount. I used to ask why it wasn't a chatbox or why it didn't refresh itself.. but after skimming through a bunch of threads I don't think anyone wants to argue about any possibility that would never happen. (We have IRC anyway.)

- Another is that people want a sort of ability to delete posts they don't appreciate in their guestbook because it is unsightly to have something you don't like in your own personal section of the forums. Some have argued that it was unfair that only mods were allowed to delete things and that they have to ask you every time which is inconvenience that you guys clearly don't need. Plus what's the point of being able to script stuff and customize everything when you aren't even allowed to bleach the ugly comments in your visitor's book?

- Any other girl with a B+ cup and absurdly large measurements in the gallery should be removed. Though I really wouldn't suggest doing that..

- We should have some User Leveling System that goes by how many posts you've made in areas of the forum (hopefully besides the spamfest section) whereas posts increase your 'exp' toward the next level. It's nothing important but just a cosmetic you people might want to add in for fun though it works differently than the achievements in such a way that it's displayed where you avatar is along with whatever symbol you are (depending on your 'level'). Some dweeb mentioned this breeding elitism but forgot to take into account that if you wanna be elitist about something like that.. yea you get the picture.

- Someone wants Marilyn Monroe to be the banner on the top and bottom where the F.A.Q and other links are.. but I couldn't convince him that she isn't as physically pleasing as the girl we already have there.
There was also one where a guy wanted a jukebox on the front page where people could contribute songs to the list, telling me that the idea would be popular seeing as how people like to share the music that they're listening to for other people to hear.
I threw a hammer at him. I threw one at the guy who suggested installing a spelling/grammar helper here because he couldn't understand half the things some guy said in a post.

I don't know.. what do you guys think?

(I packed the first paragraph closely because Angel complained that I used so many paragraphs that she got distracted and couldn't read it properly)

End.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

I'm glad you took my suggestion on board! \o/

The no auto refresh thing is the only thing that puts me off the shoutbox. On the other hand though I'm guessing you don't want more retards using it.

I certainly don't like the idea of you deleting guestbook comments.

LOl spelling and grammer would be nice since there are alot of people who can't speak English >.> It's more the kind of thing comes on the browser level though. I know Firefox ships with a spell checker.

M suggesting was still the best

w00tazn

w00tazn

hottie.

QQ moar.....

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by w00taznQQ moar.....

I know right? I tried to tell them people like you were all over the forums but nobody wanted to listen and bribed me anyway.

Quote by UsagixKitsune
The no auto refresh thing is the only thing that puts me off the shoutbox. On the other hand though I'm guessing you don't want more retards using it.

Good going Usagi.. I tried so hard not to type that and you just break the dam. Speaking of break.. a loli's tea cup just shattered.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

w00tazn

w00tazn

hottie.

I don't think i've ever posted seriously in these forums since I've joined

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by darthasThis next one is about Mods (don't stab me..)
- You close threads too soon and you grip off-topic posts harder than a biker grips handlebars. I won't go into detail for obvious reasons.

We simply close threads that do not meet with the rules. The longer we keep a thread open, the longer we suggest we are okay with said thread being open.

The problem also comes down to which threads are acceptable and which aren't. For example, your previous thread. While it was hilarious, it actually served no point. It had no form of discussion to be had, nor anything to be added to it. At best, it could serve as a single entry and then closed afterwards. There was no desire to expand upon it nor add onto it, nor critiquing necessary. Sure, it can easily be argued that this would of worked just fine in off topic, and that all of the game threads are literally the same, but the difference is contribution can happen where as with this, it just becomes a random variable. I'm not saying that we discourage it, but we also try to regulate and offer some level of what is acceptable and where we need to start drawing the line to avoid topics getting out of hand.

However, this doesn't mean that we aren't open to new rules. If you feel that there is a certain level we should have on the forums for what we allow, we are completely open to it.

Quote by darthasWe should have some User Leveling System that goes by how many posts you've made in areas of the forum (hopefully besides the spamfest section) whereas posts increase your 'exp' toward the next level. It's nothing important but just a cosmetic you people might want to add in for fun though it works differently than the achievements in such a way that it's displayed where you avatar is along with whatever symbol you are (depending on your 'level'). Some dweeb mentioned this breeding elitism but forgot to take into account that if you wanna be elitist about something like that.. yea you get the picture.

As for the level system, Minitokyo employed that some time ago, but was abandoned for numerous reasons. Considering achievements sort of fill that role right now, and the level cap for the forum achievement is fairly high (as well as diverse), I'm not sure if we could be able to. Considering if we did something like this, we would then have to employ a system for the wallpaper, scan, indy art and review section to balance it out. I certainly like this idea, but I'm not sure how it would go over considering the achievement still is still an infant and is still receiving additions and changes.

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by w00taznI don't think i've ever posted seriously in these forums since I've joined

Ok.

Quote by CyanideBlizzard
We simply close threads that do not meet with the rules. The longer we keep a thread open, the longer we suggest we are okay with said thread being open.

The problem also comes down to which threads are acceptable and which aren't. For example, your previous thread. While it was hilarious, it actually served no point. It had no form of discussion to be had, nor anything to be added to it. At best, it could serve as a single entry and then closed afterwards. There was no desire to expand upon it nor add onto it, nor critiquing necessary. Sure, it can easily be argued that this would of worked just fine in off topic, and that all of the game threads are literally the same, but the difference is contribution can happen where as with this, it just becomes a random variable. I'm not saying that we discourage it, but we also try to regulate and offer some level of what is acceptable and where we need to start drawing the line to avoid topics getting out of hand.

Don't use my threads as an example, I'll feel bad plus people might think I'm making this personal.
Moving on.. drawing the line between what is acceptable and what is not is a personal thing tbh, I don't think I've read any sort of specifics in the F.A.Q or Policy (if I even read that at all) but people judge what they think is acceptable by their own terms.
I had the same conclusion you had for the first part, I agree that closing threads which clearly have no discussion to be held should be closed but I'm just pointing out a rare occasion which could happen in the future. I'm sure a few people, despite the fact that you're all open to suggestions, are still not as assured they would speak up as they want.
I wish I had a suggestion for you to think about but most of them aren't worded kindly and I haven't run into any problems yet for me to complain. The thing about new rules is that we practically have most of it already and the only thing that can really be changed about it is for it to be more lenient, but even so that's an impossibility at this current stage.

Quote by CyanideBlizzardAs for the level system, Minitokyo employed that some time ago, but was abandoned for numerous reasons. Considering achievements sort of fill that role right now, and the level cap for the forum achievement is fairly high (as well as diverse), I'm not sure if we could be able to. Considering if we did something like this, we would then have to employ a system for the wallpaper, scan, indy art and review section to balance it out. I certainly like this idea, but I'm not sure how it would go over considering the achievement still is still an infant and is still receiving additions and changes.

Oh I'll give it a chance, this is just a thought incase one end falls apart so we'll have a backup. In the interest of.. well.. interest, what exactly are the reasons for it's abandonment?

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Quote: - Another is that people want a sort of ability to delete posts they don't appreciate in their guestbook because it is unsightly to have something you don't like in your own personal section of the forums. Some have argued that it was unfair that only mods were allowed to delete things and that they have to ask you every time which is inconvenience that you guys clearly don't need. Plus what's the point of being able to script stuff and customize everything when you aren't even allowed to bleach the ugly comments in your visitor's book?

For the record, members have never been able to delete their own posts.
Members are not allowed to delete their posts because we need evidence when stuff gets ugly between users. While yes, you can copy-paste the comment and PM it to a mod, the post itself it's the best evidence among all.

Quote: - Any other girl with a B+ cup and absurdly large measurements in the gallery should be removed. Though I really wouldn't suggest doing that..

Two solutions: a) enable the ecchi filter. b) report stuff.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by FranFor the record, members have never been able to delete their own posts.
Members are not allowed to delete their posts because we need evidence when stuff gets ugly between users. While yes, you can copy-paste the comment and PM it to a mod, the post itself it's the best evidence among all.

Fair enough, but just not to get crossed wires. The people who wanted the ability to do this was the ones in-charge of their own guestbooks and not the people who post the comment. Therefore, the control is not in the poster's hands.. but the hands of the person who has that filth on his frontpage. As such, if the post is deleted by the owner of the userpage, there's no fault but his own. That's just half the story though.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

MT use to be very lenient. It's a bit more stricter now but I'm not complaining. I keep coming back despite whatever changes MT goes through cuz this site is fun.

My opinions about your suggestion compilation....

- Full editing control of userpage? Okay cool but I don't really care too much about people leaving bad comments.. cuz I just might do the same.

- Remove the SB? Don't make me kidnap you darthas. No just kidding.. I luv ya.

- B-cup is big too you? I call foul. D-cup should be the limit.. though that is still normal sized to me.

- If they are going to add that leveling system.. I want the final level to be dubbed rainbow pony.

- Marilyn Monroe.... dang that chick was fine....

Signature
You best be fearin' the ears baby.

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

Quote by darthasI bet after reading the title, half of you came in here sighing uncontrollably and hovering that mouse over the delete button.
In any case, it's a compilation of suggestions I got from the community base which I bothered to type out.
(Or maybe this section of the forum is dead and I want to see a different icon on the 'Active Threads' tab)

(First, why use a different color for all your posts? Why not name your thread properly? Are yours more important than most other members' opinions or something?)

Quote by darthas
Alright so I'll start with some basic stuff about the website. I noticed that every section is void of threads and posts especially in the more down-to-earth sections such as the discussion section and pretty much every section but the Off-topic one. The reason for this (as I've asked around) is that the off-topic section is the only part of the forum which -tolerates- any form of post which just misses the mark on the OP and as such doesn't really help very much if someone's goal somewhere is to try and -populate- another section and encourage posting elsewhere for that matter. So I don't think any section is really going to be used besides the O-T branch and if that continues into the far future (you know.. when I start creating my own robot butler) the forum will consist solely of spam which is something people are trying to prevent. I'd suggest slamming in a General Section that tolerates both spam and sensible posts in the same thread since such threads are disappearing. I've no solution personally but the Off-topic section is nearing a million posts and that's disturbing. (Well not really disturbing after reading the shoutbox for a day)
Perhaps we could have another section which allows discussion of anything while allowing garbage posts and off-topic posts that does not herald closure? You can argue that that in itself is the off-topic section but from what I'm looking at I can tell you that you missed the point.
Speaking of new sections, we should pin one for any GFX things we got going on here. After all, we're a forum community and people are sometimes in need of an avatar to their liking or perhaps a signature that actually fits with a ridiculous height resolution. (No, it's not your fault Sheqel..)

I missed threads being closed randomly I will pay some attention to that.

Quote by darthas
- We should have some User Leveling System that goes by how many posts you've made in areas of the forum (hopefully besides the spamfest section) whereas posts increase your 'exp' toward the next level. It's nothing important but just a cosmetic you people might want to add in for fun though it works differently than the achievements in such a way that it's displayed where you avatar is along with whatever symbol you are (depending on your 'level'). Some dweeb mentioned this breeding elitism but forgot to take into account that if you wanna be elitist about something like that.. yea you get the picture.

Would be redundant with the achievement system

Quote by darthas
(I packed the first paragraph closely because Angel complained that I used so many paragraphs that she got distracted and couldn't read it properly)

Wha? More paragraphs are certainly better. Packing stuff creates a wall of text nobody wants to read.

edit: sorry to be short, suggestions are always appreciated.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

People seem to be missing the point;
I post 1430 desu's (yeah I counted) on Darthas' (just an example) userpage as part of an inside joke
Darthas doesn't like it so DARTHAS deletes MY post on HIS userpage.

I understand Fran's point about evidence so maybe there's no need to physically delete the posts. Maybe a system of hiding the post from normal members (and not mods) would work?

Quote by loli-hater

Quote by UsagixKitsune The no auto refresh thing is the only thing that puts me off the shoutbox. On the other hand though I'm guessing you don't want more retards using it.

Good going Usagi.. I tried so hard not to type that and you just break the dam. Speaking of break.. a loli's tea cup just shattered

LEAVE MY LOLIS ALONE.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Sheqel
(First, why use a different color for all your posts? Why not name your thread properly? Are yours more important than most other members' opinions or something?)

It has nothing to do with that actually, I just use a different color because it's allowed here. I've no reason to do it otherwise and if I wanted to assert importance, I'd figure out other ways than something so.. simple. (Though I am interested to ask what made you come to that conclusion..)
(No excuse for the title comment)

Quote by SheqelWha? More paragraphs are certainly better. Packing stuff creates a wall of text nobody wants to read.

edit: sorry to be short, suggestions are always appreciated.

Short is good anyway, I don't think I'd bother much replying if someone threw a post as long as the OP at me.

Quote by UsagixKitsunePeople seem to be missing the point;
I post 1430 desu's (yeah I counted) on Darthas' (just an example) userpage as part of an inside joke
I understand Fran's point about evidence so maybe there's no need to physically delete the posts. Maybe a system of hiding the post from normal members (and not mods) would work?

You're right Usagi..I don't like your posts in my GB, it's incredibly distracting.
On the other hand, the guestbook comment thing wasn't my idea, so I don't really care if it gets shoved in or not, it's just something that was mentioned one too many times in the past but not many times was a mod around to give an explanation as to why such a function wasn't given to users. Besides, I don't delete your posts on my userpage.. I just twist them and send them to Mery.
Well, I'm unsure why giving the power to the owner of the page wouldn't work out. The only way the evidence could disappear was if he deleted it right? and if he did, what's the point dwelling on something he clearly wanted to forget? Or did I loop an important point entirely?

Quote by UsagixKitsuneLEAVE MY LOLIS ALONE.

No.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by UsagiPeople seem to be missing the point;

It's not that we're missing the point, the problem is a feature like that would be abused and falls too much back into what Fran talked about. While I can understand the desire of wanting to delete messages, if someone is being harassed with GB spam we'd rather them be reported and let us take care of the situation instead of a member going all renegade and deleting the posts and/or harassing the member (if it does happen). If something like that were to happen, then it would simply look like the member is being harassed by someone else because the proof we had no longer exists.

Let's be honest too, we can say for certain that this feature would be abused by some members as well. I get wanting to clean up your userpage, but one has to remind themselves that they are on a social website. If you don't want people posting on your GB, either ask them not to or do not be social. Posts disappear after awhile too, so if all else fails simply wait it out. If you are being harassed, report it and we'll take care of the situation. It's not that we don't want the members to have a voice or power, but the problem is we end up getting the short end of the stick because we don't know how much of what has been tampered with when someone starts deleting things and someone else reports it.

Like I said, I get the reason why and I am in agreement, it's just we'd rather us take care of it to avoid future harassment from said member or anything else that may be violating Minitokyo's policy.

I also didn't cover this before, but about the tolerance for other sections. I'm not really all too sure what to think of this. Personally speaking, and from my own knowledge, is that threads are hardly ever closed. They are generally closed if; A. A thread that is either incredibly similar or identical already exists, B. The thread is far too much in the mindless spam category and breeds no discussion at all or C. In terms of the more serious topics, gets far too out of hand or starts going after personal beliefs.

In my time as a moderator here, I've only closed one serious topic, and that was because the thread was so full of bigotry it'd cause our servers to crash. Otherwise, I have only closed topics that are mostly in the off-topic section and not so much based upon seriousness. To be honest, I'd like to see more serious discussions in MT. There are not too many of them and we could always use a bit of fruitful discussion here and there.

/serious business

Signature Image

Princess-Sophitia

Princess-Sophitia

Goddess of the Sea

Wow, Darthie made another thread... :o

For the record, I was also wondering when we would be able to delete guestbook posts, I think it would be immensely helpful to everyone... D:
A while ago, somebody left a distasteful comment on my guestbook, and I was ready to just delete it and leave it at that, but instead, I had to trouble CB about deleting it. When it comes to evidence, isn't it accomplishing the opposite effect by allowing the poster to change their post at will and avoid getting in trouble, instead of giving the person whose userpage it was posted on the power to just get rid of it? >.>;

Signature Image "I know I'm not strong, but I'm cute!"- Italy, Hetalia: Axis Powers

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Quick 2 cents since Fran and Cy kinda covered everything else I was gonna say: Honestly, everyone always says "I don't want to trouble the Mods with this", but really, it's not that much trouble at all. I mean, it's part of our job description to handle reports from members.

Signature Image

Princess-Sophitia

Princess-Sophitia

Goddess of the Sea

Really, Firefly? D:

I always hear about how Moderators are so busy... But I think it's my personality to dislike bothering people for favors anyway ^^;

Signature Image "I know I'm not strong, but I'm cute!"- Italy, Hetalia: Axis Powers

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

If any mod says that it's trouble, let us know so we can boot them off the team ; D.

Seriously speaking, Firefly is completely right. It is our jobs to do so and honestly speaking, we enjoy being able to help out around here. Don't think that you are bothering us too much if you ever have any issues at all. We may not get to it right away, but I can reassure you that it will be done!

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Wow, now I'm going to end up lying to Sheqel when I said I'm not replying to Walls of Text.. You better expect more weight jokes being thrown your way.

Quote by CyanideBlizzard
It's not that we're missing the point, the problem is a feature like that would be abused and falls too much back into what Fran talked about. While I can understand the desire of wanting to delete messages, if someone is being harassed with GB spam we'd rather them be reported and let us take care of the situation instead of a member going all renegade and deleting the posts and/or harassing the member (if it does happen). If something like that were to happen, then it would simply look like the member is being harassed by someone else because the proof we had no longer exists.

I figured such trivial problems shouldn't be looked into as much as you're asserting it should. The scenario you're painting out for me atm is that:
Guy A posts rude comment, Guy B sees rude comment, Guy B gets mad at Guy A.
Guy B complains to mod that Guy A is harassing him. Guy A says that Guy B started it. Mod A sees comment written by Guy A on Guy B's guestbook.
Mod warns Guy A. Guy A says Guy B initially started it but Guy B deleted post.

Problem is.. Guy B isn't allowed to delete his post on the other guys guestbook.. so where's this complication you're talking about? If you mean people being able to post stuff in their own guestbook.. then I'd recommend taking that out. Nobody really replies in their own guestbook nowadays anyway.
Either way that's up to you, I'm don't really like to dwell on this so much but.. after all.. it is my thread.

Quote by CyanideBlizzard Let's be honest too, we can say for certain that this feature would be abused by some members as well. I get wanting to clean up your userpage, but one has to remind themselves that they are on a social website. If you don't want people posting on your GB, either ask them not to or do not be social. Posts disappear after awhile too, so if all else fails simply wait it out. If you are being harassed, report it and we'll take care of the situation. It's not that we don't want the members to have a voice or power, but the problem is we end up getting the short end of the stick because we don't know how much of what has been tampered with when someone starts deleting things and someone else reports it.

Being on a social website doesn't mean anything. Names are just a label and that is all they will always be, I get the point for that first half but you know what I mean when I say this.

Why bold out social website when you're going to suggest not being social? It cancels each other out and is probably better off not being typed out because it suggests that people should just be here to ninja spoils and make off.
Your last sentence makes me think both of us are coming from different points mainly because you use the words 'someone else'. Meaning you're describing a 3rd party who sticks his nose into the business of 2 people which I'm not addressing. I can respect that if that's the case, since I know some people on the forum would love to report someone else's problem even if the guy who has the problem doesn't bother enough to want to report it on his own and just decides to flush it down the bowl.
If that's the case then ignore this section.

Quote by CyanideBlizzard Like I said, I get the reason why and I am in agreement, it's just we'd rather us take care of it to avoid future harassment from said member or anything else that may be violating Minitokyo's policy.

... In terms of the more serious topics, gets far too out of hand or starts going after personal beliefs.
To be honest, I'd like to see more serious discussions in MT. There are not too many of them and we could always use a bit of fruitful discussion here and there.

I respect that the staff would prefer to take care of this by themselves, old ways are hard to change.
I don't understand though, why serious topics filled with personal beliefs would be flagged for closure. Out of hand has it's own levels and to me there probably isn't any such thing as 'out of hand' even after the personal insults roll in because there's always a reason the guy typing would tip in that direction, but the main thing is that for something to be serious in general.. it has to stem from some sort of view which is commonly caused by feeling/personal or emotional take. If it doesn't have much personal belief it wouldn't really be serious at all and therefore would be filled with nothing but spam.
I'd make a serious thread but it'll get deleted in a few seconds. (Inside joke)

Quote by CyanideBlizzard/serious business

/jokes
But of course, it's your job but that doesn't mean it can't be improved upon you know? The community's stay here has been improved and I'm a heavy supporter of fair treatment, so if we get a more comfortable life so to speak, why shouldn't you? I'm not trying to breed laziness or anything but all I'm saying is, your load can be lessened by a tiny margin.
(I'm still protesting about the 80 pixel height for sigs though)

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Princess-Sophitia

Princess-Sophitia

Goddess of the Sea

Well, it's good to know that the moderators are willing to help, then ^_^

But you really should give thought to the guestbook deleting thingy... I just feel like that would really help in the long run... :o

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by darthProblem is.. Guy B isn't allowed to delete his post on the other guys guestbook.. so where's this complication you're talking about? If you mean people being able to post stuff in their own guestbook.. then I'd recommend taking that out. Nobody really replies in their own guestbook nowadays anyway

Like Leafy said you can edit your own posts into whitespace anyway.

Quote by meI understand Fran's point about evidence so maybe there's no need to physically delete the posts. Maybe a system of hiding the post from normal members (and not mods) would work

If anything that would preserve evidence.

If someone replies again with something vague like "open to abuse" I'm going to cry.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Like I said,I'd remove that because nobody here really does that any more. But if you look at the name alone.. 'Guest Book'.. it means the book is for guests. Why are you writing in it in the first place? It may be yours but the name doesn't say anything other than you own it and owning something doesn't mean you can write in it.
'Personal company' has the same problem.. you say a girl is your personal company but that doesn't mean she's gonna let you touch her. (I don't know.. I just felt like that made sense)
<Open to Abuse>

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by darthasI figured such trivial problems shouldn't be looked into as much as you're asserting it should. The scenario you're painting out for me atm is that:
Guy A posts rude comment, Guy B sees rude comment, Guy B gets mad at Guy A.
Guy B complains to mod that Guy A is harassing him. Guy A says that Guy B started it. Mod A sees comment written by Guy A on Guy B's guestbook.
Mod warns Guy A. Guy A says Guy B initially started it but Guy B deleted post.

Problem is.. Guy B isn't allowed to delete his post on the other guys guestbook.. so where's this complication you're talking about? If you mean people being able to post stuff in their own guestbook.. then I'd recommend taking that out. Nobody really replies in their own guestbook nowadays anyway.
Either way that's up to you, I'm don't really like to dwell on this so much but.. after all.. it is my thread.

The point I was more so making is a possible scenario that could happen if members were given the privilage of being able to delete their own posts. I'm not saying it'll happen, and it's very likely it won't cause harm, but what I'm trying to state is this is a reason as to why. I completely agree that since it is said users page, they should be able to have the ability to go in there and modify it as seen fit. We all completely understand that. However, in cases of harassment, we cannot do very much in a situation when we don't know how much of the situation has been doctored. It doesn't change the fact that it's a current problem, since a member can say something nasty and then go in there and edit it later on, but it at least gives us grounds to work on. This isn't the prime reason, but it's a big reason as to why. That's why we are beating it to death with a horse.

Quote by darthasBeing on a social website doesn't mean anything. Names are just a label and that is all they will always be, I get the point for that first half but you know what I mean when I say this.

Why bold out social website when you're going to suggest not being social? It cancels each other out and is probably better off not being typed out because it suggests that people should just be here to ninja spoils and make off.
Your last sentence makes me think both of us are coming from different points mainly because you use the words 'someone else'. Meaning you're describing a 3rd party who sticks his nose into the business of 2 people which I'm not addressing. I can respect that if that's the case, since I know some people on the forum would love to report someone else's problem even if the guy who has the problem doesn't bother enough to want to report it on his own and just decides to flush it down the bowl.
If that's the case then ignore this section.

I apologize for not properly stating this before, but on and off I have seen varied reports of people asking us to remove GB posts simply just to remove them. This is why this point was emphasized. One would expect that on a social site, with a userpage that an individual can customize, that they can receive feedback, correct? This would be further increased by branching out and being active in the community. My whole point is if you don't want anything on your userpage, why be active on a social website. This wasn't necessarily geared towards your thread, but more so the fraction of the force that wants the ability to delete GB posts for said reason. Also, I did mean it in that aspect, because we have gotten reports from third party individuals. While not very common, it makes up (sometimes) half of the reports we receive.

Quote by DarthasI respect that the staff would prefer to take care of this by themselves, old ways are hard to change.
I don't understand though, why serious topics filled with personal beliefs would be flagged for closure. Out of hand has it's own levels and to me there probably isn't any such thing as 'out of hand' even after the personal insults roll in because there's always a reason the guy typing would tip in that direction, but the main thing is that for something to be serious in general.. it has to stem from some sort of view which is commonly caused by feeling/personal or emotional take. If it doesn't have much personal belief it wouldn't really be serious at all and therefore would be filled with nothing but spam.
I'd make a serious thread but it'll get deleted in a few seconds. (Inside joke)

Yet another topic I should of stated with a bit more depth, my apologies.

I'll give you an example of what I meant. Some odd time ago, a member made a new thread based upon a former pre-existing one. In this thread, individuals were suppose to "prove" that "something or another" exited. However, the thread itself literally insulted beliefs that were even remotely different from his/her own. This is not only completely unacceptable, but it also defeats the point of the topic. How can you prove anything else when you're already stating that you're cemented with your reviews, and even more so on the fact that your insulting anyone else who feels differently.

My point was that personal beliefs are fine. We all have them and it's what make us who we are. We have a right to freedom of expression, but that freedom does not exist when you put down someone elses beliefs or insult them for it. We're pretty laid back in terms of topics, but sometimes we have to sit down and look at the direction of the topic and what's being said before closing it. Although, and I'm not going to lie to you on this, I can't really remember a time in the past few months where I've closed any serious topics. I might be mistaken on this, and if I am please feel free to show me too.

Quote by darthas/jokes
But of course, it's your job but that doesn't mean it can't be improved upon you know? The community's stay here has been improved and I'm a heavy supporter of fair treatment, so if we get a more comfortable life so to speak, why shouldn't you? I'm not trying to breed laziness or anything but all I'm saying is, your load can be lessened by a tiny margin.
(I'm still protesting about the 80 pixel height for sigs though)

JOKES! THERE ARE NO JOKES IN SPARTA!

By all means. The fact that this thread is getting such attention from the staff and Sheqel is because we strive towards improvement. We're not trying to shut you down, we're trying to show why that, in Minitokyo's history, has there never been a feature for members to remove guestbook posts.

I don't think anyone is in disagreement with members having more control, but I think I can speak for the entire staff as it's not so much that we want to hinder you from doing this, but rather we want an example of a system that can work for both of us.

Sort of like what Usagi suggested.

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by CyanideBlizzard
The point I was more so making is a possible scenario that could happen if members were given the privilage of being able to delete their own posts. I'm not saying it'll happen, and it's very likely it won't cause harm, but what I'm trying to state is this is a reason as to why. I completely agree that since it is said users page, they should be able to have the ability to go in there and modify it as seen fit. We all completely understand that. However, in cases of harassment, we cannot do very much in a situation when we don't know how much of the situation has been doctored. It doesn't change the fact that it's a current problem, since a member can say something nasty and then go in there and edit it later on, but it at least gives us grounds to work on. This isn't the prime reason, but it's a big reason as to why. That's why we are beating it to death with a horse.

The current problem you're addressing in the second half is the one with the 'edit' button right? Well, I can tell you that that's a completely different thing here because people still do that. Maybe you should tag a 'This post has been edited by/at' every time someone does that or perhaps have a log of edited posts in Guestbooks? Whichever it is and whatever the case, that's the only solution I've seen to these problems. The reason I suggested a form of log is for obvious reasons such as lies, but maybe there's another way to solve this huh? I leave that up to you to decide.
Suggesting removal of the 'edit' button is just irritating and pointless, so I'll leave this here.

Quote by CyanideBlizzardI apologize for not properly stating this before, but on and off I have seen varied reports of people asking us to remove GB posts simply just to remove them. This is why this point was emphasized. One would expect that on a social site, with a userpage that an individual can customize, that they can receive feedback, correct? This would be further increased by branching out and being active in the community. My whole point is if you don't want anything on your userpage, why be active on a social website. This wasn't necessarily geared towards your thread, but more so the fraction of the force that wants the ability to delete GB posts for said reason. Also, I did mean it in that aspect, because we have gotten reports from third party individuals. While not very common, it makes up (sometimes) half of the reports we receive.

There's a reason for why they wanted it removed, and why they said 'Just to remove it' was probably because they didn't want to bother typing out why. If they had no problem or not much complaint it wouldn't be flagged for removal, there's a fine line between caring and not caring, situations like these cross that line subtlety. At least.. that's how I see it.
You're right, why be active when you hate people visiting you? After all, activity breeds interest especially on the topic of a forum, however it's not all lily's and rose's depending on what you, as a person, would call a 'guestbook post'. This is just to help different people with their own views on something manage out what they like. Social website as it is.. you have your own space which you and you only.. would have control over.
Though I don't understand why someone would rat on 2 people who (could have been) fooling around or toss a few inside jokes at each other, but I can't comment because I don't know how frequent this happens.. but even if it did I don't think it's something others need to concern themselves about. Let people handle their own problems and if you want to help someone out so much.. mow his lawn for him so he can play Halo: Reach.

Quote by CyanideBlizzardYet another topic I should of stated with a bit more depth, my apologies.

I'll give you an example of what I meant. Some odd time ago, a member made a new thread based upon a former pre-existing one. In this thread, individuals were suppose to "prove" that "something or another" exited. However, the thread itself literally insulted beliefs that were even remotely different from his/her own. This is not only completely unacceptable, but it also defeats the point of the topic. How can you prove anything else when you're already stating that you're cemented with your reviews, and even more so on the fact that your insulting anyone else who feels differently.
My point was that personal beliefs are fine. We all have them and it's what make us who we are. We have a right to freedom of expression, but that freedom does not exist when you put down someone elses beliefs or insult them for it. We're pretty laid back in terms of topics, but sometimes we have to sit down and look at the direction of the topic and what's being said before closing it. Although, and I'm not going to lie to you on this, I can't really remember a time in the past few months where I've closed any serious topics. I might be mistaken on this, and if I am please feel free to show me too.

That's what I meant, people who begin to -bash- your beliefs have a right to be put down. I think you can prove something if you're cemented with your views however, since there's ways of breaking people out of their rock if you try hard enough.. and that trying is probably half of a thread, though the insulting takes it far and letting it slide on occasions would only encourage the bad half more than the good. I can agree with you on that much.
You haven't closed any serious topics or anything which could have turned into a serious discussion, therefore I have no examples to give to you on that.

Quote by CyanideBlizzard
JOKES! THERE ARE NO JOKES IN SPARTA!

By all means. The fact that this thread is getting such attention from the staff and Sheqel is because we strive towards improvement. We're not trying to shut you down, we're trying to show why that, in Minitokyo's history, has there never been a feature for members to remove guestbook posts.

I don't think anyone is in disagreement with members having more control, but I think I can speak for the entire staff as it's not so much that we want to hinder you from doing this, but rather we want an example of a system that can work for both of us.

Sort of like what Usagi suggested.

I'm aware that you're not trying to perform a german suplex on me, I'm also aware thaat members have never been able to remove GB posts. I never got a clear or in-depth answer as to why and decided since everyone's asking the same thing occasionally, that one should just be out in the open.
Good to know that a solution would be worked out for the better half of both parties, but even so there's always improvements that feel different and that's just what I'm trying to do. I won't go as far as to suggest you doing it then look at the results, but being in the position that I am, would just rather leave it to your best judgement.
Btw Sparta does have jokes.. and they have wide door frames too.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.