Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Mini Lesson 5: "You" - Minitokyo

Mini Lesson 5: "You"

Group announcement by Japanese

page 1 of 1 10 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Sorry for the long time without a lesson minna-san~ Both cheri and myself have been super busy lately. ^_^;; Here's a quick lesson... with help from Yahoo!answers

Question: What is the difference between Anata, Kimi, and Omae?

First of all, in most casual conversation, personal pronouns are dropped. Also, if you know the person's name it's generally better to use that rather than a personal pronoun. However, if you must use a personal pronoun for "you", which one you use really depends on who you are speaking to and how polite you want to sound. ^_^

"Anata" is for all around situations. If you don't know the person well, if the person has authority over you, or if you just want to be polite or nice, this is the term you would want to use. "Anata" is often also used by wives to refer to their husbands. You should think of "Anata" as the default in situations... if you're not sure which one to use, or you're not sure what your relationship is with the other person, to be on the safe side I would recommend using "Anata".

"Kimi" is for friends, or someone close as a friend. It can also be used to address one's boyfriend/girlfriend. It's not rude per se, but if you call someone with authority "kimi", it will sound disrespectful. Also, if you don't know the person very well, using "Kimi" is like going up to someone you just met and calling them by a nickname.

"Omae" is a little more disrespectful. This is usually used for people who have less authority than you and want to sound imposing to. (Think of a police officer speaking to someone breaking the law) "Omae" used against a person with authority is highly offensive. Use this only if you are good friends with someone because it gives you an authoritative air.

There's also another way that the Japanese say "you", but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're around your best friends...

"Anta" is VERY disrespectful. Used against authorities, it is greatly offensive. Among very close friends it's fine, but you will still sound a little bit rude. A contextual example of when "Anta" would be used would be when a mother scolds a child. If she yells, "It's your fault!", the "you" she uses will most likely be "Anta".
-----

There's no actual Practice (Renshuu) for this lesson, it's more of an informational lesson. ^_^ Please continue to ask questions or give ideas on what you'd like to learn!

Signature Image

tsukoyomi92

tsukoyomi92

Shiroi kokoro

thanks for the lesson, i knew about "anata" "kimi" and "omae" but never thought that 'anta" was the most disrespectful o.O Thanks again :) otsukaresama

Thank you so much for the lesson.
I really appreciate it ♪\(^ω^\)

Keep on give the best wallpaper and scan(;3)Signature Image

Great lesson as always. Keep it up!

lilylily09

lilylily09

LILYLILY09

Thank for this lesson^^
now i understand about "anata" and "omae". In dictionary "kimi" use for male but it doesn't tell about disrespectful of this word. Could this word use for female?

Nalataia

Nalataia

mein Herz, mein Verderben

Using "kisama" is also possible... if you wanna die, of course. This word is vey, very, very disrespectful, more than "anta".

Xanxus usually uses it a lot xD

Na na na na na na na na, ¡líder!
Signature Image

fireflywishes

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Quote by lilylily09Thank for this lesson^^
now i understand about "anata" and "omae". In dictionary "kimi" use for male but it doesn't tell about disrespectful of this word. Could this word use for female?

There is no gender difference for "kimi". It can be used when speaking to males or females.

I also forgot to add... that "kimi" can also be used when speaking with one's boyfriend/girlfriend.

Signature Image

Tina18

Tina18

The view of these stars

XD I thought Anata was only used between husband and wife.
Thanks for the info, now I only hope to remember it.

Rizacaga: Tina, Tina tell Sungmin to get Kyu's pants for me pleaseee.
My milkshake brings Saber to my bathtub.

Thanks for the lesson!

merged: 12-09-2011 ~ 09:01pm

Quote by NalataiaUsing "kisama" is also possible... if you wanna die, of course. This word is vey, very, very disrespectful, more than "anta".

What does "Kisama" means?

fireflywishes

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Quote by Saku-donoThanks for the lesson!

merged: 12-09-2011 ~ 09:01pm

Quote by NalataiaUsing "kisama" is also possible... if you wanna die, of course. This word is vey, very, very disrespectful, more than "anta".

What does "Kisama" means?

"Kisama" is the most impolite way of addressing someone. Could roughly translate as "bastard", "scum" etc.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.