Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Retirement; have you thought about it? - Minitokyo

Retirement; have you thought about it?

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Many of us here in minitokyo are still in prime working age group and I'll bet many of you think the word, "retirement", as what kind of foreign language is that.

The fact of matter is all of us are going to retire eventually. And when that time comes, many of you are going to be in for rude shock of not having enough money to make a living.

I am middle age anime fan. Although I did not start saving immediately, I did start saving in my late 20's. Ideally, I should have started saving money when I started working regularly but I didn't. But I did start which is better than not start saving at all. I consider myself lucky that my employer is one of few that still offers traditional pension plan.

One reason I could not start immediately was my mind set which probably will resonate with younger people; "Retirement, what's that? I'm too young to retire." For me, that was the main excuse I didn't start saving right away. I had too many things I want to buy and I could not bear the thought of not having enough money to buy my anime goods.

If you could change that mindset earlier than I did then you will be in very good shape when that inevitable time come and you are no longer working.

I hope some of you will consider what I said and will act on it. The sooner the better but if you can't (like me) to keep it mind and take that first step in a small amount and then gradually increase to level you can comfortably manage. Believe me; from teens to young adult to middle-aged adult to senior citizen, you will be surprised.

Interesting topic!

Well i currently work full time. The minimum age of retirement here in Australia is 65. That's only 40 more years to go for me. O_O
I pay into a retirement superannuation fund. Ive currently got 7 years service in my current employer so by the time i am due for retirement, there will be loads stacked up. (Trying not to think about hitting that age for a long time. Still enjoying my younger years!)
But i do pay extra into that fund as well which will add to it.

Since i don't know how to do it... if someone wants to design me a userpage... I would really appreciate it...! =3

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I thought of my retirement when I was just a kid, not to mention what I was going to be and work as/for. it took me a short time to get here, but regardless as retirement should be thought about so should life insurance, it isn't cheap to bury someone and to take the burden off of someone is ideal. there's nothing wrong about pre-planning your funeral as well. there are so many people that die before they even reach the age of retirement, the ability to help out and others are not left asking for donations in your honor. sadly, yes I've thought of all this, doesn't mean or make you morbid just makes you prepared for life, which will hit and hit hard.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

I never thought about it, and thinking about it actually makes me depressed ): I'm the type that enjoys working and will feel useless once retired. I still have a long way to go! I know I should think about it now though... but I really have no clue how retirement even works. It was Family Guy season 10 episode 9 that made me think about it actually, very ironically I saw this thread right afterwards.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

We'll see how old I am when I finish repaying my student loans.... ;A;

Retirement is all based on personal choice. You can retire at the age of 65 or continue to work until you die.
There are some who I know either retired early (below 65) or those over 70 who are are still working.
Personally, if I have the energy to work, then I'll continue to work.

Signature

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

Yes, but I don't plan to retire on the normal age of 65 which I know will rise(probably would be in the mid seventies in the future) because we live on average longer than that. I'll retire when I can no longer do my work competently.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

well since the retirement age is all different in other countries and in the USA, not certain about other countries, they have been known to fire people that reach a certain age. yay for ageism? so sometimes you are forced into retirement, because some companies will not hire people over a certain age. there is nothing wrong with thinking about having plans when you retire, one way over the other, it doesn't mean you're getting old, it just means you're getting/being prepared. you never know what might happen that you might not be able to even reach retirement, some sort of accident that renders you unable to work, trust me the government, in a lot of places, don't do their best to those sort of people. have a plan so you won't get caught in the dark. I think I plan ahead just too much :/ guess I am morbid :|

BuBbLeS!

Signature

jakuro

jakuro

殁 4 LIFE

I'm already living like a retiree.

I do what I want all day.

Complain about everything.

Have no money.

Make everyone take me places, since I have no car.

And expect people to visit me even though I'm a grouch.

The only thing I'm missing is checks from the government.

I win at life.

Signature
::wake up in a dying world looking like the antidote::

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

@Jakuro: That suspiciously sounds like a college student that didn't get enough scholarships to laugh at tuition costs.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

jakuro

jakuro

殁 4 LIFE

Could also be a two-year old.

Signature
::wake up in a dying world looking like the antidote::

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

Isn't that the problem. They don't encourage people to save for their own retirement, instead they get them hooked on the idea that the government's social security system will provide for them at that point. Social Security is a ponzi scheme at the most and unsustainable when unemployment rates are high. You know how hard it is for an anime fan to save money, or for that matter any one to save now days with the cost of living always rising.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

@Duuz: Most people here posted at what age they would retire at not if they actually saved(idiotic if they didn't) a feasible amount of money to retire comfortably. My problem with retirement is... well I'd rather be working at the job I hope I'll be enjoying with the younger generations so I feel relevant.

Also SS would work if everyone smoked heavily(no one would ever get past the age of 50) alas we Americans are going to deal with the Baby Boomers retiring en-mass in a couple of years.

My plans are not looking as good as they were a few years back :(

The thing about people living longer is something of a myth. Firstly, average ages have risen over the years mostly because infant deaths have declined due to better health care. People 50 years ago lived just as long as us but less of them survived childhood. Secondly, coupled with that populations are continually increasing so there are ever increasing numbers of pensioners.

http://flagcounter.com/count/7uR/bg=151B54/txt=151B54/border=151B54/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0.jpghttp://2.s01.flagcounter.com/count/7uR/bg=151B54/txt=151B54/border=151B54/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0.jpghttp://s10.flagcounter.com/count/TIU/bg=151B54/txt=151B54/border=151B54/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0.jpg

I just hope I can live long enough to retire.

I think that people should prepare way before they retire rather than short change everything and just retire automatically which is quite frankly, hard to do.

You should actually set your plans way before you retire, even when you are just starting with whatever you are doing, because you are able to set a goal that would fuel you to excel even further.

I'm 21 and i never thought of it, i guess i'll just go olong with it and see were i end up.

Signature

I always think it can happen 30 years late,at that time i am 62 years old, i can enjoy the left life!

mmohunter

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.