Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 2012 the end of the world theory fake! - Minitokyo

2012 the end of the world theory fake!

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Hey, my calendar ends every year and nobody believes ME if I tell them that it means the world will end with it.
Anyway, no, I don't think the world will end this year. The Mayans just didn't feel the need to plan that far into the future. I also heard that because of the number of days the Mayans had in their calendar year, the world actually would have already ended.
As for the date.. I've heard 12/21/12 and 12/12/12. I also here there's an upcoming date for next year: 13/13/13. See the flaw in that?

Spoiler (show)

It's that there aren't 13 months in a year.

Well, in any case, if I am wrong about the world not ending this year...
Everybody knows there's a party at the end of the world ;)

actually some archaeologists found another Mayan calendar than ends 100 years later than the one ending in dec. 2012. it was featured in Nat Geo, so basically the world ends when the sun goes out.

Shadowgirl

Shadowgirl

Rin Matsuoka

but the sun going out isnt for millions of years though so we alright now yay

Actually, the world ends eight minutes after the sun goes out because it takes eight minutes for the sun's heat/light to reach the earth. Or so I've heard. :P

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

Except the Sun won't go out. It'll just turn into a red giant which will engulf the planet(in billions of years) besides that the Mayan calender is much more precise than ours because we use leap years and they don't. if you don't know what that means then ever since the leap year was introduced in 45bc we have added a extra day that the mayan calendar never accounted for(besides they only have 360 days in their version of the calender)

So if we go by the Mayan calender we should be somewhere in July or August of 2013.

Oh fun fact. You know who benefits from these Doomsday prophecies? The doomsday authors who get money off of it.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

Lady-san 8 minutes is the time it takes for the light to reach earth but the same time does not apply to what comes after the death of a star. Basically should the sun die either a supernova would occur (damaging the earth to an extent equal to mars or worse) or shed layers if planetary nebula. With the former ending the world in much less than 8 minutes while the latter might take up to a decade. Either way its still billions of years away.

merged: 06-09-2012 ~ 05:03pm
the Mayan calendar is based on astronomic events and merely counted the days in a celestial year. They don't actually have months with a prescribed number of days. They had seasons which lasted from one astronomical phenomenon to another. So basically it is much more precise than the calendar we use today. Let me reiterate that the Mayans DID NOT predict the end of the world but rather they based and ended that specific calendar on a major astronomic event namely, the passing of earth through the center of the Milky Way.

Also all stars eventually go out. That's why supernovas occur and black holes appear.

Quote by aexiel12 - 21, 2012 marks a massive astronomical phenomenon. One that will shift the earth magnetic poles to be in reverse. The event will be cataclysmic as evidenced by the Ice Age. The earth will pass through the Great Rift of the Milky Way, this will greatly affect the earth's magnetic field. The earth passes through it every 26,000 years. Coincidentally the Mayan Calendar predicted the event to be in 12-21-12.

That's kind of a greatly distorted explanation, but the truth is hiding in those lines :
- Yes, the earth magnetic poles are to be reversed.
- No, it wont be cataclismic, it takes years to do so, it has already started decades ago.
- "Great Rift of the Milky Way" ? lmao, why not a black hole with the whole planet making a space-time travel in the past, and humanty survives as homo-sapiens ?
Edit : "Center of the Milky Way" ? You ever looked at a map of the Galaxy ? It's a cluster of stars...
- No, not really, earth's magnetic field wont be affected much. It's the rotation of Earth's core that creates the magnetic field, and that rotation never stops ; it's the poles that gets reversed, not the core's rotation.
- Yes that reversal happened in the past, but not 26000 years ago, more like 150000 or 250000 years ago, dont remember exactly.
- No the Mayan calendar didnt predict it. That reversal affects Earth's rotation axis very slightly, so the stars in the sky change position very slighlty. And as everyone should know, Mayan predictions are based on the study of the stars, it's called astrology. Thus they are "blind" to what lies beyond that point, so that's when their predictions stop. Just like Nostradamus.

-it was shown in the History Channel. It was about how the earth's magnetic field protects it from the radiation. It was discussed that whenever the earth's magnetic poles are reversed, there comes a fluctuation in the magnetic field. The magnetic field would then have a gap to allow radiation to pass through without being reduced by the magnetic field. I do not know however to what extent the damage would be.
-its called the great rift because there are no stars there. Only a cluster of dust clouds. Yes I looked at the map of the Milky Way many times and it still has a starless center.
-do you understand the concept of magnets? The poles are critical locations of a magnetic field. Shifting them creates a disturbance. The earth's poles move every year, but a drastic shift in the poles' location can cause environmental changes.
-if you read anything, my last statement pointed out that the Mayans DID not predict anything.
-the only reason why 12-21-12 was used to mean the end of the world is because of for one, its 12-21-12, two, the is a significant astronomical phenomenon (whether it affects the earth or not doesn't matter), and three, someone (who's dead now) used the same date. There you have all the ingredients necessary for Doomsday mongering.

Map of the Galaxy, with our sun's position : http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/milkyway.html
Its center is full of void that emits light, you say ?
Edit : gaz that emits light, my bad.

A summary of what is Earth's magnetic field : http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2011/11/09/3359365.htm
And like the summary concludes, the reversal doesnt happen in a single day. Disturbances ? sure, but minimal.

Now as to why it doesnt happen in a single day, you can get a heachache from trying to decider this : http://www.science27.com/Earth/index.htm
Scientists dont even agree with each other : this one says reversal wont happen. Whatever.
But the point is : Earth's magnetic phenomenon cannot be compared to a single magnet.

Even if it did happen in a single day, we'd face this : http://www.sciencebits.com/NotReallyAProtection
So the only real problem we'd face would be the loss of atmosphere blown out into space along with solar wind.
And we wouldnt lose it all, not all at once. Took ages for Mars (but I'm tired of finding links).

Lastly, you said "Coincidentally the Mayan Calendar predicted the event to be in 12-21-12." And I said they couldnt predict anything because astrology is blind to what lies after that date. And the superstitions goes : cant predict = no future = end of the world.

Edit : This convo is turning meaningless. We both agree there are gonna be disturbances, where we differ is only how big those disturbances are gonna be. I quit.

Drakill

Drakill

-=Call me CG=-

I don't believe anything is going to happen as well. I mean, come on! Yes there's global warming, ... But I don't think the world is gonna end just yet. Unless every country fire nukes and whatever else in one spot. That might screw up the earth. P_P

I'm moving to Ireland so I won't be online much.
I'll try reply to your message when I can.

Signature Image

Quote by DrakillYes there's global warming

Ah, global warming. And why would you beleive in that and not in the end of the world ?

Ice melting in summer ? It comes back in winter, right ? Dont we have rougher winters too, lately ?
What is global warming anyway ? Some kind of barrier that keeps heat from leaving Earth due to pollution ? How's this then : if it's a barrier, wouldnt it work both ways ? Like, it keeps both "heat" from leaving AND entering the planet from the sun ? Then there would be no warming up (or cooling down), is it ?

Sure, pollution cant be good, but I'm tired of all this ecologist's warning bullshit. Why dont they live like apes if it really bothers them ? That's the best thing they could do (so that I wont hear or read their crap anymore).

Drakill

Drakill

-=Call me CG=-

Quote by OmegaliteAh, global warming. And why would you beleive in that and not in the end of the world ?

Ice melting in summer ? It comes back in winter, right ? Dont we have rougher winters too, lately ?
What is global warming anyway ? Some kind of barrier that keeps heat from leaving Earth due to pollution ? How's this then : if it's a barrier, wouldnt it work both ways ? Like, it keeps both "heat" from leaving AND entering the planet from the sun ? Then there would be no warming up (or cooling down), is it ?

Sure, pollution cant be good, but I'm tired of all this ecologist's warning bullshit. Why dont they live like apes if it really bothers them ? That's the best thing they could do (so that I wont hear or read their crap anymore).

I just mentioned global warming because it's not going to suddenly cause the end of the world THIS year. :)

I'm moving to Ireland so I won't be online much.
I'll try reply to your message when I can.

Signature Image

Sharon-sama

Sharon-sama

Follow your dreams...

Quote by pandemonium91The real explanation for 2012:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/pandemonium91/maya_cartoon.jpg

Of course, the end of the world will mean all computers shutting down. You know, like in 2000.

Ah ah you're right, I don't believe in such fool story and in my opinion i think that the end of the world theory is ridiculous. =.=

Don't try to excuse yourself by telling people you're doing it for someone else's sake~
Xerxes Break
Signature

sharonz

小姐

I agree with u!

The end is nigh.

Signature
You best be fearin' the ears baby.

MisaSasekage

MisaSasekage

War Queen

I always thought the 2012 theory of the world ending sounded kinda paranoid/ridiculous.

We will have to wait and see Misa.

Signature
You best be fearin' the ears baby.

will find out in a few hours *waits as i drink tea*

Signature

Awww... any surviving Mayans are gonna have to buy a new calendar now :(

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

I'm still here. ....Well, darn. I'm disappointed.

Signature

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

I know quite a few people who are feeling like crap and are going to feel like even bigger idiots once they sober up.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

yup, the end hasn't come, fake, all fake. fear those who think it's going to be the end of the world, those are the most frightening.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

dchoggia14

dchoggia14

Gumi x Len

i even dont remmeber this "event" before i saw many people celebrate it on tv

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

i agree with Alenas, i was out side with some popcorn -w- god did i look dumb >.<

Signature

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.