Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Stupidity - Minitokyo

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Before anyone calls it, Language.
this is also a short summary of a long article I read.

A question I found interesting while digging around is this:
-> Angel is looking at Firefly, but Firefly is looking at Cyanide. Angel is married but Cyanide is not. Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?

If your answer is no or the fact that you cannot tell because nothing was said about Firefly, then you're wrong. The correct answer is always yes.

Spoiler (show)

If Firefly is married, then Firefly looking at Cyanide fits the answer. If Firefly is not married, then Angel looking at her also fits the answer.

I opened a thread like this in another forum before it died and remembered all the replies there, cheap shots, flaming and a ton of other replies which was actually rather hilarious to read. Overall I gained their concept of what constitutes as stupidity just by reading replies.I wondered if anyone here wanted to voice out the same way, or it could be because I have nothing else to do while sitting at work.

To start the topic off, what exactly does stupidity mean this far into the future? The word was first brought into the English Language at possibly 1550 or something if I recall right and wondered if many of you at all have deterred from how the word was used back then. I'm sure everyone uses the word almost everyday, if not by speech then by thought. (Firefly uses it everyday on the phone I'm sure) (<-- Women..)

LadyText mentioned something in my last conversation with her about 50 years ago when we were 23 or something about how certain concepts have deteriorated over the years from what they originally were. Although that is common knowledge, it was more the question of how and what that really caused me to open a thread on Stupidity.

Spoiler (show)

How -> Simple things can be manipulated by a general public or group
What -> Anything from words to actions, to objects and basic idea conceptions.

If I told you something was impossible and you believed me, you're most likely considered an idiot if you deny on the outright. In the days before cars and computers, these things were the objects of our past thought impossible to be made, yet here they are. The worst possible thing that society of individuals could mess up is the English Language considering Usagi and his British dictionary had already ruined several words I mostly spelt normally, Mery who can't spell in general, Cyanide who aims to tap 1 letter on the keyboard and ends up tapping the surrounding 4 and Val who has a keyboard full of heart keys when she talks to me. (None of which are true except the first 2)

The main view on stupidity which is commonly understood is if someone makes a clear point and you miss it despite it being offered to you openly, if you do something which hurts you more than it hurts anyone else if that was your intention or something as simple as having a low IQ quotient. Despite any of these there are still variations on what stupidity really is, and humans are the leading champions when it comes to the word. We tend to think our evolved status constitutes a form of supremacy to other things or other people, which is basically stupid in itself. Furthermore, thinking that we are all equal for any reason also constitutes as being stupid. By fact, humans were never equal in anyway despite having the same body structure or basic outlook, yet even that can change due to deficiencies in the body, blood or brain.

If people were equal we would never have winners or losers.
Variety is the spice of life, but at the same time it can also get you killed.
To be killed off in any department does not show equality if someone else did it and you didn't.
To be equal is to be the same as, to be different is already a baseline that it's not equal.

It is a common misconception that just because something can be done by anyone does not mean that all are equal, yet people still argue against this fact because of fear of being grouped anywhere away from the normal. People speak of different ways to phrase things to make themselves seem like they make sense, but if it didn't make sense the first time, then you're probably being tricked or in the modern term 'bullshitted'.
Let's put it this way: If you understand it in 1 way rather than in the other, why would a different set of words convince you otherwise? Are you an idiot that the first time wasn't enough? or was the other guy an idiot for not using the proper words to help you understand?

The word or term we seek, is known as Dysrationalia. We try to avoid thinking too much because most of the time it is counterproductive, but at the same time thinking too little on simple things can ultimately make you sound stupid. But does being tricked to make a bad decision say they have a weak mind to overestimate their ability to apply rationality? or are they actually really stupid?
In the end, it's not so much that people are stupid (although the majority of them are) but to be able to tell the difference between a mental slip up and someone who is genuinely an idiot is generally the way to go about things.

To discern is to have success.

I wrote that.
If I made an error, complaints should be given to the front desk.

Best saved for last.
Salt on the wound, don't click the spoiler.

Spoiler (show)

I love you Val

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

oh my, no wall of red text aww darth is losing his edge, or did someone fall asleep at the keyboard again? and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stupid tada to help those along which might be having problems with carbon dating and the actual term meaning.

to me stupidity means just that, an individual too lazy to think, so, thus they get trapped in their little world of make believe and think they are intelligent and they are far from the truth. sort of sad really. to be trapped in an illusion created by our own making. although stupid is used a lot, and some are considering it to be part of the new bullying techniques (imagine that), so thus, people hear the words enough they either believe them to be truth or they pretend to be. those which pretend to be stupid, are the ones we should take great caution upon, those that pretty much are, we should show compassion and understanding, it's rude to give them a sign, but it would help so we can avoid some ill fated moment in time while standing next to them.

Spoiler (show)

this is probably going to die as well, due to the fact off topic section is the most popular on this site.

Spoiler (show)

might get a nibble here and there, irony, will it be a spam bot? ;)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Here I thought the red chased people away. I did fall asleep on the keyboard recently by the way, and yes. Everything dies to the off-topic section.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Quote by darthasIQ quotient.

Intelligence Quotient quotient? Okay. Angel's reply reminds me of my aunt's replies to my emails. Though I can't write that much reasoning as you Darth and fail to make sense in general, but it's still the same kind of an answer.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Give the complaint to the judge, lol
Should give your own thought on it, even though all of us know where this thread eventually goes anyway. Might as well throw out all you want before it's locked.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Most people regard the absence of logic as a sign of stupidity, as your little tautology was no doubt intended to show. However that route very quickly leads to a religious debate; I'd rather sum it up as, some with religion lack logic but not intelligence and therefore can't be called stupid.

Points of view vary between people and labelling someone who doesn't share yours as stupid is stupid.

I wouldn't call actions that hurt oneself more than others stupid either. Insane maybe.

For me I think stupid describes someone who does something ultimately detrimental to some sort of goal or desire they strive for. That certainly makes me very stupid.

It's probably a bit late but I vote Angel for mod. Just get rid of Fern or alanas or one of those other mods no one has ever heard of if there are too many. Go Angel ^_^

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

I can see that, though only an idiot burns himself with a matchstick because he feels like it, unfortunately being a moron has a lot to do with religion right? I label a lot of people as stupid because the base reasoning for what they say is based on something illogical. Last sentence made me laugh.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

awkwardusername

awkwardusername

(」・ω・)」うー!

Ah. Stupidity.

There was this person. He is smart, intelligent and rational. He doesn't straightly believe anything told to him. He thinks of it thoroughly and because of this, most of the time, he disagree with everyone. Disagreeing with everyone made him stupid (albeit, to the "everyone" I am talking about). He was condemned and they tried him. In the end, before he died, he admitted he was wrong. Years later, people found out that he was right after all.

Ergo, being rational won't simply count you off to stupidity. A fake truth can be made by an influential man, with those petty humans believing that it is right. That said, philosophy and logic is not understood by everyone. They blindly accept the truth, living on with the argument of trust and religion.

Stupidity is determined by how many believe in you. No matter how right you think you are, if they all think you are wrong, then you are stupid.

Spoiler (show)

Where the hell have you all been?

Signature Image
Wordpress | Tumblr
Then what role am I to play in this farce? Should I be the slave? The villager? The knight? The protagonist? No, I am them all! A hero who’s role is to consume everything in sight, dancing while tearing the theater apart. A drama. A drama whose audience is the drama itself.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Spoiler (show)

I visit IRC but none of you assholes are there. Usagi is being a redcoat and not showing up, Mery logs in to afk and leave without saying anything the entire time he's in IRC, although he did tell me his bowflex magazine came in recently so I can forgive him. Where the hell have YOU been?

I do agree that you can be intelligent but because the norm disagrees you're labelled as an idiot. That's the case in many societies and communities now. But to turn the thing around.. is this stupidity contagious? I think it is..

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by darthasI can see that, though only an idiot burns himself with a matchstick because he feels like it,

Want to take this a step further and make it suicide? If someone wants to die and successfully kills themself is that stupid? It's only stupid if we judge it based on everyone else's standards because most people don't want to die. Sort of what awk said.

I've always thought that not agreeing with people around you is not stupid though it's insanity. i.e. you claim the colour yellow is actually red. Is that really stupid?

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Depends on the reason you end up killing yourself. If you lost everything you lived for and are unable to get it back then yea, killing yourself doesn't qualify you as an idiot. Suicide because you feel like dying and have no real reason makes you an idiot though.
Goes without saying that reasons matter on why you do something, but if it's not a rational reason where understanding can be formed on why you did what you did.. then something must be wrong with you. That's the general consensus.

Agreeing with people around you is always stupid. Look around. lol

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

awkwardusername

awkwardusername

(」・ω・)」うー!

Stupidity is as contagious as ignorance. Being ignorant is stupidity itself.

Well, yes; I could look around and I could spot stupid people immeasurable by my fingers and toenails.

Spoiler (show)

ARRGH. MOVE ME TO EUROPE/AMERICA. THEN WE'LL DO IRC. OR YOU GO HERE, but, that is no fun.

Although, I try to ping Usagi. he doesn't friggin respond. You DDoSed desu?

Signature Image
Wordpress | Tumblr
Then what role am I to play in this farce? Should I be the slave? The villager? The knight? The protagonist? No, I am them all! A hero who’s role is to consume everything in sight, dancing while tearing the theater apart. A drama. A drama whose audience is the drama itself.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by darthasDepends on the reason you end up killing yourself. If you lost everything you lived for and are unable to get it back then yea, killing yourself doesn't qualify you as an idiot. Suicide because you feel like dying and have no real reason makes you an idiot though.
Goes without saying that reasons matter on why you do something, but if it's not a rational reason where understanding can be formed on why you did what you did.. then something must be wrong with you. That's the general consensus.

Agreeing with people around you is always stupid. Look around. lol

Contradiction. One needs a rational reason to do everything otherwise it is deemed stupid. Presumably a reason's validity is dictated by the consensus of those around you. Yet agreeing with people around you is also stupid?

As far as I'm concerned as long as the reason makes sense to the individual it's not stupid.

Spoiler (show)

I connect through my university's servers so good luck with the ping crusade.
Seriously just spam my name till I answer.
Something like
/timer t 0 1 /notice USAGI WAKE UP
?

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I think that what constitutes stupidity is highly subjective. I mean, if someone threw them self in front of a bullet to save someone else, you could say that it isn't stupid because he believed that the other's life was worth more than his own. Yet if you stop and look from another angle, you could argue that the former might contribute more to society, or that all life is equal and therefore it doesn't matter which one survived. Or you could even argue that there's a good chance that a bullet could go through two people and therefore they both might end up dead. Still, wasn't it justified in the actor's mind? Yet from different angles you could argue that the action is stupid. (Not saying I think it is stupid, just that you could argue that it is.)

Quote: Unfortunately being a moron has a lot to do with religion right?

Except that I have met quite a few morons that are secularists as well? Not saying there aren't morons who are religious, but I think that's a bit too broad of a blanket statement without taking the time here to actually discuss WHY belief in a god is irrational, rather than just saying that it is. I understand that this isn't a religious thread, but if it's not going to be discussed more thoroughly I'm not sure why it was brought up in such a way at all. Not trying to be belligerent; it just doesn't make sense to me.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by SnickerdoodleNinjaI think that what constitutes stupidity is highly subjective. I mean, if someone threw them self in front of a bullet to save someone else, you could say that it isn't stupid because he believed that the other's life was worth more than his own. Yet if you stop and look from another angle, you could argue that the former might contribute more to society, or that all life is equal and therefore it doesn't matter which one survived. Or you could even argue that there's a good chance that a bullet could go through two people and therefore they both might end up dead. Still, wasn't it justified in the actor's mind? Yet from different angles you could argue that the action is stupid. (Not saying I think it is stupid, just that you could argue that it is.)

Quote: Unfortunately being a moron has a lot to do with religion right?

Except that I have met quite a few morons that are secularists as well? Not saying there aren't morons who are religious, but I think that's a bit too broad of a blanket statement without taking the time here to actually discuss WHY belief in a god is irrational, rather than just saying that it is. I understand that this isn't a religious thread, but if it's not going to be discussed more thoroughly I'm not sure why it was brought up in such a way at all. Not trying to be belligerent; it just doesn't make sense to me.

Saying that all life is equal is being illogical and irrational. I believe Sacrifice is never seen as stupid, but can only be in vain. Being in vain isn't stupid because it concerns an entirely different topic. There can be no peace without sacrifice, there can be no war without sacrifice, life cannot be without a sacrifice of any kind, if you're on topic about blanket terms, this is one of them. These are most importantly, common sense.

Common sense usually just balls down to being obvious. Saying obvious things these days makes you look stupid.
Something is wrong here isn't it? So what really constitutes as stupidity? Did I get the point across clearly?

To further my point made in the OP, anything can be discussed here, you can bring anything onto the table. It's impossible to have any rational thoughts or opinions if you withhold information on the topic. Agreed?
I'm sure you could give a pretty excellent example if you could use any information you acquired, that's what this thread is about.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneContradiction. One needs a rational reason to do everything otherwise it is deemed stupid. Presumably a reason's validity is dictated by the consensus of those around you. Yet agreeing with people around you is also stupid?

As far as I'm concerned as long as the reason makes sense to the individual it's not stupid.

One needs rational reason to do everything? Unlikely.
In my words, agreeing with those around you is stupid, but the consensus is that doing so is not stupid. So what validates stupidity? The OP was a stream from top to bottom on how the word is being misused, these are just examples of it.
There is still no real answer, so why have the word at all? By the way, everything makes sense to individuals, if not they wouldn't have done it? Then nobody is stupid and the word should be thrown out of the English language.

Spoiler (show)

Awkward was talking about how he liked golf sticks because the poles were long.. srsly.. wtf?

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Darthas, while I think I understand what you've been saying about people misusing the word "stupid," I do think there are a lot of people who feel that doing something in vain IS stupid, which is why I mentioned it. I'm not trying to justify the line of thought, just to point out that there is one. And yes, for the most part I would agree with all that you've said in this thread.

To elaborate briefly on the secularism/religion aspect with examples, I've seen people on both sides of the fence that have told me that they believe what they believe because that is what they're family has always believed and have no interest in assessing the validity of they're family's beliefs. If we're determining stupidity based on rational thinking, I personally would find blind holding to parental beliefs stupid, whether religious or secular. Secularists/atheists (whichever term you prefer) also tend to point to carbon dating, DNA relations etc. for believing in evolution (I realize that not all atheists believe in evolution. I also realize that there are several different motivations for people being atheist; these are just examples) or for believing that there is no God. On the other hand, the religious believe in intelligent design based upon fine tuning of the universe, the enactment of design upon things we built (which generally leads to saying: If we realize that cars could not build themselves from the forces of nature, and we are more complex than cars, then who built us?). Both sides use at least some logic some of the time; therefore wouldn't it make sense to judge each individual's "stupidity" based on why they believe rather than what they believe? But to be able to even judge, first we'd need a firm definition of the word stupid, which makes most of my long chunky paragraph fairly irrelevant at the moment. -_-

Anyhow, to me the word stupid is like the word cute. Most people use the words frequently, but defining either one is subjective and difficult. I generally use the word stupid to mean "irrational," but I can't actually say that's what it means.

Also, kudos to Darthas for giving more attention to this section of the forums, and for putting up with people like me who sometimes have more trouble expressing their thoughts properly than they should.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

This section of the forums does need more love, lol. And since I was mentioned I thought I'd comment.
So, 35 years before I was born, when I was 23, Darth and I were magically the same age and had a conversation having to do with something pertaining to stupidity. Now that I'm 73 I'll talk about it again in another forum that was written back when I was a lot younger. Isn't time travel wonderful?

Okay, starting over. Here's my idea of stupidity and idiocy.

It's not so much not knowing something as being ignorant of obvious facts on purpose. It means failing to use logical reasoning in a situation where logical reasoning is not at all difficult to use.

Stupidity is to trust everything you hear without questioning the suspicious bits. (Hey, someone wrote gullible on the ceiling? Seems legit.)

Spoiler (show)

Actually, the way to get people with that is to wait for someone else to say it, then look up at the ceiling and say, "Hey, it really is!"
Works every time.

It can also be stupid to question absolutely everything you hear and everyone you know.

It's stupid to ignore something just because you don't want to know it or using hypocrisy to your advantage. (<- I didn't quite word that right, I'll try later.)

And we all have our stupid moments.

As for the equality thing... no, we aren't all "equal." Not in the sense that we are all the same. That would be an absolutely boring dystopia. Like Darthas said, variety makes life interesting. Our differences make us who we are, not our similarities. But we can't really be put into some kind of social hierarchy with the "better" ones at the top and the worse at the bottom. Sure, you can organize people by how much you like them or something of the sort, but that would be biased and therefore meaningless to a lot of others. People all have there strengths and weaknesses. That's what makes us equal, in a completely different sense of the word than the previously mentioned one. If you subtract our weaknesses from our strengths, then we'd all be about the same, I think.
And who knows? Maybe there are people out there who are really good at being idiots.
(Actually, duh. But I don't think that talent gets much respect.)

On a side note, do you know how smart I don't feel while sitting on a web page titled 'Reply to Stupidity'?

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by SnickerdoodleNinja ... therefore wouldn't it make sense to judge each individual's "stupidity" based on why they believe rather than what they believe?

Usagi likes this.

However, how does one define "stupid" and irrational"?

What you you think of the point about both these words being measured by the people around you?

For example if one lives in a community where most children pay lip service to church on account of their parents then the general consensus is that such hollow belief is not stupid.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote: @SDN

You're right, there is no firm definition of stupidity. Dictionaries do not enforce validity of the meaning because the dictionary itself was modified and written by people with their own idea of what stupidity is, the examples given with the word are enough to show that. Therefore, point taken, that in the end we can't really say what stupidity is. Yet people use the word loosely over every little thing, albeit this isn't the only word that doesn't have a fixed meaning and depending on your experiences with people's usage of the word it can affect the way you think about how it was used when you hear it. Agreed?

With that being said, I'll throw the ball back to you. You made a good illustration with the religion part, it's true to say everyone's beliefs are enforced on some part or another, therefore it can be stupid to do something to 1 person but to the other it's not stupid. That's the big picture right? So what governs stupidity considering people in the past have tried to validate who are the stupid people and why stupid people are dangerous.. when we don't even know who they are?

Let's turn this discussion around for a moment, Does it instead describe some form of mental handicap? or is it just a word of insult?

Spoiler (show)

Kudos to you and everyone else for replying to keep it alive. +1

Quote: @LadyText

That's a good definition, but like stated above and by Usagi with feelers below your post. How does one define logical? Is it by your definition of how logical a decision is? or is it by how logical the society you're in would deem it? The very big issue I found is that the word Stupid has no exact definition because society trampled all over the it like they did to the polar bears and now it's lost it's true meaning. I have to disagree with the questioning part though, I usually question everything which is why I end up being an asshole, good information by doing it. lol

Hitting the nail on the head, there are many usages of the word. You gave a good definition of equality whereas it's mostly just a different variation of the word and what I like most is that you mentioned sense of the word. Applying this here, it's all about the sense of the word when it's used but the problem is it's based entirely upon a person's view. There seems to be a problem as to why this word is even being used now that we established this theory.

Also, only champions reply to stupidity. Some things gotta give lol

Usagi made a point that judging people is bad, something we also learn over time. Yet saying a person is stupid is counted as judging his actions.. using the word to 'judge' others when there is no real definition of it being stupid? I think that's stupid, why use a term which has no real meaning? Agreed?

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

But there is a dictionary definition of Idiotic...

Can't help going off to a corner and snickering.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

Quote by darthasThat's a good definition, but like stated above and by Usagi with feelers below your post. How does one define logical? Is it by your definition of how logical a decision is? or is it by how logical the society you're in would deem it?

Um. By logic I mean having some sort of thought process behind your actions, I guess. Lol. Pretty loose definition.

Quote by darthasI have to disagree with the questioning part though, I usually question everything which is why I end up being an asshole, good information by doing it. lol

I actually do that too... XD I meant something more along the lines of: question facts instead of opinions. Like, if my friend says something to me, I'll believe that he/she thinks that What I questions is the truth of the fact, not the honesty of the person. Although there are some pretty dishonest people. No problem with questioning them, lol.

Quote by darthasThere seems to be a problem as to why this word is even being used now that we established this theory.

Which brings us back to the definition of stupidity... lol.

Quote by darthasUsagi made a point that judging people is bad, something we also learn over time. Yet saying a person is stupid is counted as judging his actions.. using the word to 'judge' others when there is no real definition of it being stupid? I think that's stupid, why use a term which has no real meaning? Agreed?

Personal philosophy: don't judge someone as stupid until you've seen them do plenty of stupid things. Until then, only judge their actions as stupid.

Quote:

Quote by UberDogBut there is a dictionary definition of Idiotic...

Can't help going off to a corner and snickering.

Quote by darthasThe very big issue I found is that the word Stupid has no exact definition because society trampled all over the it like they did to the polar bears and now it's lost it's true meaning.

^This.
Dictionary.com says...

Quote: 1.lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2.characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3.tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4.annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5.in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.

Even dictionary.com has five definitions of the word. Urban Dictionary has even more, such as...

Quote: Someone who has to look up "stupid" in the dictionary because they don't know what it means.

and...

Quote: twilight.

Oh god that was a long post.. I'm gonna stop now...

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

What qualifies an act as 'stupid.'?
I'd say doing something with the false belief that you have considered all possible factors to whether you should act (or not act I guess) and you find that what you are going to do is beneficial to you, when the obvious truth is that there is no benefit at all or it is even hurtful.
Whoop, whoop. Next question. lol.

Quote: But there is a dictionary definition of Idiotic...

It's actually used to be a real psychological term that was used as a category for someone's intelligence, just as Genius still is today.
It was the very bottom of 'Intelligence', underneath even 'Moron' and 'Imbecile.' ;D

Signature
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" - MB20

awkwardusername

awkwardusername

(」・ω・)」うー!

I'll use this definition by dictionary.com as basis.

Quote by "Dictionary.com"3.tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.

Questions. How do we define pointless? Is it indeterminism? The lack of absoluteness? Lack of sense of rationality?

How do we define indeterminism after all? Yes, we point out things that are in between, but do indeterminate things exist? For example, we cannot say that the answer of 5 divided by 2 is the number between 2 and 3 (It is 2.5), or the color of MT's background is somewhere between blue and dark blue (it's #030A17).

Now, does that lack of absoluteness conform with the lack of rationality? It isn't right? Why? Because we could accept such indeterminate answers and regard them as correct. They are "somewhat" correct after all because we can still derive the answer from them. If that is the case, then, a vague answer to a question can be acceptable, with regards to "the asked", his knowledge about the question. Then how can we determine if he has that knowledge in order for him to be truly correct (in this aspect) even though he agreed upon your inexact premises? That is, if "the asked" conforms with your standard of reasoning, such that, his logic aligns with yours.

If then there is a case, wherein "the asker" and "the asked" sit on different planes, how would they prove that what they say is correct or not? We will introduce a third party then. The third party must be the one to align his rationale with the other. If the third party is again, disagreed upon, another is introduced, et cetera, until a someone would agree on an argument, or it will be pointless.

---

So as we cannot agree on what stupidity really is, we cannot agree on anything at all. As for me, from the start of this post, i already gave myself to aligning my definition of stupid with what "Dictionary.com" said. And I can tell what is "stupid" based from this definition.

Spoiler (show)

I'm not giving a conclusion here, just so you know. It is, just another argument.

It's funny. How we make believe that a word is defined by "this-or-that". And we blatantly believe it. Because, if we don't, we can't make a much larger truth. As to mathematics, there are postulates. They don't need to be defined. They are fine as is. For example, how would you define a point? Well, as far as the world is concerned, the point is just a point. So, let's say, we have a point, so we make many points and connect them to create a curve, in which it can be defined as: a set of connected points. lol.

Signature Image
Wordpress | Tumblr

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote: @LadyText

+1 on last definition quote.
You mentioned them doing plenty of stupid things but, stupid is personal. So a stupid person to you is not a stupid person to another, so who is right about him? No one.

We lack a cold hard definition of it like was said and yes, we only have loose definitions and most of them are so loose that we cause misunderstandings that could affect us pretty badly. The dictionary gave 3 types of definitions which are completely unrelated: Dull, Annoying and Stupor. Dull doesn't mean Annoying which doesn't mean Stupor. So at the end of the day despite it's loose definitions, in the end like always, people cause their own problems over using words they have not much idea about.

Quote: @All

Legio and Awk pretty much hammered the nail, or their finger.
The actual use of the term was to describe people who were intellectually weaker than others, being lower than Moron and Imbecile or those below the category of being mentally handicapped, basically on the base of the barrel.

Quote: Now, does that lack of absoluteness conform with the lack of rationality? It isn't right? Why? Because we could accept such indeterminate answers and regard them as correct. They are "somewhat" correct after all because we can still derive the answer from them. If that is the case, then, a vague answer to a question can be acceptable, with regards to "the asked", his knowledge about the question. Then how can we determine if he has that knowledge in order for him to be truly correct (in this aspect) even though he agreed upon your inexact premises? That is, if "the asked" conforms with your standard of reasoning, such that, his logic aligns with yours.

If then there is a case, wherein "the asker" and "the asked" sit on different planes, how would they prove that what they say is correct or not? We will introduce a third party then. The third party must be the one to align his rationale with the other. If the third party is again, disagreed upon, another is introduced, et cetera, until a someone would agree on an argument, or it will be pointless.

That pretty much illustrates the point that we regard what we believe to be somewhat right, as being right although in theory it's not. To find the exact explanation to answer this question we have is difficult because to prove it requires almost everyone to agree on 1 term.. which will never happen.

Spoiler (show)

Btw, a point is something that you're not supposed to miss. <-- Definition.
If multiple points come together, you get a tracing book for preschoolers.

So considering people use loose terms which have loose definitions and these sometimes cause misunderstandings between each other.. The best part is they blame the other guy for not knowing what you mean when there is no real meaning for anything you say.
Brain candy, and not everything CAN be defined. It's not so much a need to define, although that's personal opinion.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.