Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Games for Windows Live will shut down in 2014 - Minitokyo

Games for Windows Live will shut down in 2014

page 1 of 1 10 total items

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Yes guys, this is no April's joke, in not even a year from now on, the service GFWL for PC gamers will be shut down for good. To say the truth, I never even liked their service, compared Steam it was a completly inferior counterpart with lacking updates, lag issues and multiple smaller problems which could drive the gamer near to madness. Unfortunately I own a couple of games for which I need this service, if I want use the Save Game function (Batman - Arkham Asylum, Bulletstorm, GTA4, Steetfighter X Tekken, Gears of War and Kane & Lynch 1)
Good news are that some game developers will patch their games to work with Steam instead, namely this goes now for the few years old Bioshock 2, appareantly the original cd-keys should work on Steam without issues and also all current owners will get a new free DLC as bonus. Glad to see, that there are still game developers who care about their players (good job 2K Games) Also the Batman Arkham series currently undergoes for removing GFWL/DRM from their source code.

Microsoft again has shown his true colors, advertising and then shutting off out of blue a game client which never worked well anyways. With this I would not even wonder if they would shut down even the X-Box service for 360 if their next gen consoles gets enough sales. Or the opposite, they shut it down to get more sales actually.

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

I believe the future shall hold a lot of X-Bricks for some gamers. Sad really. Thanks for the info Aki.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Update on Batman - Arkham Asylum

Seems like the issue with the retail keys was finally fixed. I managed to activate my GOTY retail edition on Steam. Though I need redownload the whole game and start it over for the achivements, but small sacrifice for the fact that the tumor known as GFWL is gone.

Also maybe only a gossip, but there are rumors that Microsoft will put up Halo 2 for Steam. Not sure how much is true from that though.

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

The only thing that can save the gaming community...

PS4 !

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

PS4 for the win! I already have the money to get one

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

I pretty much doubt that the community of consoles needs to be saved, is much more like the PC is what developers started to ignore, despite that PC gaming will be always superior compared consoles, with cheaper games, better hardware, easier patching and ability to mod the games. But at least Steamworks and some others still put up a heavy fight.

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Garbagesoft has always been on a downward stream and have made more mistakes than most companies. Instead of focusing on improvements, they started trying to simplify things further when it was already simplified enough.
More disappointments to come in 2014.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Simplified?

My experience with installing Streetfighter X Tekken trough Windows Live Games

1. I try install the game
2. The game tells me that first I need install the Windows Live Client from the disc.
3. Installation finally starts.
4. I try to play it, but it tells me that I need install a newer version of Windows Live Client
5. Restart the whole PC.
6. Game finally starts, but it requires a update!
7. Update will not install until I don't restart the whole PC again!
8. Update starts apparently, but the bar moves only randomly. (I made really good progress in a vector until this time)
9. After the update I noticed several new characters, which can be unlocked only by paying 20€ for the DLC which is twice the sum for what I bought the hardcopy. (thank you Cashcom)
10. Ragequit?

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

yea thats why they failed, over simplifying gives you those issues.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

News: Fallout 3 just moved out from GFWL to Steam
Personally dunno, I never noticed on my retail version that it required the service, though I played it barely due it's issues with Win 7.

Signature

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.