Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Your favorite anime/manga cliche - Minitokyo

Your favorite anime/manga cliche

page 1 of 1 10 total items

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Yup, you read that right! While it's undeniable that the word "cliché" has a negative connotation, there are certain tropes that are done over and over again specifically because they work. Or those that we know aren't that good but we still can't help loving.

For a change of pace, how about talking about what anime/manga cliché you like seeing? Character types, (sub)plots - even names!

Mine would be the Love Triangle: it's soo easy to mess up, but it can be exciting to follow when done right. And while I'm not quite up to date on Skip Beat!, I like what the author's doing with Kyoko (lead girl), Ren and Shou. At this point it's truly impossible for me to guess who she'll end up with - if she even ends up with one of them! It doesn't feel like one's the "obvious choice" either. And it's a plus that their relationship doesn't revolve solely around romantic feelings.

Edit: of course, you can include visual novels as well!

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

AZD-A9S

AZD-A9S

AZD the Collector

Hmm...I have a lot to say regarding this but I don't know the official "cliche's" term about it. I could go somewhere like TVTrope and maybe find names but that'll ("that'll" apparently isn't a word going by spell check so know it is: that will) take long.

I will start by what Pandemonium said: Love Triangle. I know one.
Since the beginning of Da Capo (Both Anime and Game), both Nemu and Sakura love Jun'ichi but they don't want the other to have him.
The Game and the Anime have their differences on how this proceeds.

Spoiler (show)

In Da Capo Episode 20, Jun'ichi gets called by Sakura about her 3 promises and wanting him to end his relationship with his "sister". Nemu decides to find him (noticing something is off) and confront Sakura and the two have such an argument right in Jun'ichi's face. He stays true to his decision but bad things do end up happening to Nemu after this confrontation.

Ahem...I'll stop there. Next person step up!

The galaxy of AZD is in progress...

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

I really hate cliché. Cliché with a twist however is good enough for me since there's not an awful lot of things that are original these days.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Quote by RedwynI really hate cliché. Cliché with a twist however is good enough for me since there's not an awful lot of things that are original these days.

Oh wow Redwyn-chan, you just spoke my mind!

Originality is really just hard to find when you probably saw atleast 10 things with a similair way the plot moves like. It tends to be quite predictable how characters develop throughout the whole series. So what makes them so fun? The little twists that makes it unique without merely being the same series in a new cover. Sometimes you still find some series that go pretty deep and are heartbreaking when they finish, in their own way/style. That's all it takes! It is also nice to have a rather original setting...it is probably where people should aim for when it comes to originality as a series: the world it all happens. Otherwise, it is more or less the same.

Now I come to think of it...there is a terrible anime cliché on cutting the series short (maybe not a cliché, but it happens and it gets ruined) and leaving you with an open mouth to drop your popcorn.

When it comes to my favourite, I probably somehow love it when a character dies near/at the end. It usually shows or means that it got closed off really well. It doesn't happen often that there is a situation where everyone is safe and all happy. It is good when someone dies or a few, to me at the least. Life goes on /closed ending, like a true story ♥

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by RedwynI really hate cliché. Cliché with a twist however is good enough for me since there's not an awful lot of things that are original these days.

Can you give an example? I'm always curious about things like this.

Quote by ValunaNow I come to think of it...there is a terrible anime cliché on cutting the series short (maybe not a cliché, but it happens and it gets ruined) and leaving you with an open mouth to drop your popcorn.

I've heard this complaint in relation to Stephen King's novels, and I agree with it to some degree: he's a great storyteller, knows how to build believable and realistic characters (except when he writes about another Alcoholic Writer), but can't write a satisfactory ending. The ending to The Stand, which was based on post-apocalyptic and survival themes, was one big deus ex machina, and I'm saying this as a person with an entire shelf full of SK novels. That ending didn't fly :(

Another odd thing I found out recently was that most Korean dramas (not sure about the Japanese ones) only have one season, and at most 13 episodes. That's so short, compared to Western TV shows which get at least 2 seasons, unless they're canceled! Maybe anime are cut short because they run out of material? Shows are usually canceled because of low ratings, but I'm guessing at least 2/3 of the anime is already drawn by the time it's aired.

Quote by ValunaWhen it comes to my favourite, I probably somehow love it when a character dies near/at the end. It usually shows or means that it got closed off really well.

Yeah, but they have to actually show it, else it's open to speculation - even though I haven't seen it, I do remember all the controversy around Code Geass' ending: did Lelouch make it or not?
Though if someone does this in the Western world (ambiguous situation), then the movie guaranteed a sequel.

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

Just about every story ever. Here's a list of that I do read/watch.

The more mainstream-

Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Cliche part is the weak main character became stronger. It's part of growth to become stronger as we grow older but the reality is we can't win every fight. So it's incredibly predictable the "good guys" will always win and none of them die and "bad guys" saw the error in their ways (sorta) or they band together for the common good. The twist is the main character is still kinda the same weakling in the end.

Kuroko no Basuke. They lost at one game and got disheartened to go through their remaining game. I find that very realistic. But then they got another chance to compete and defeat the "enemies". There's always another chance! And fighting against enemy at different level until boss level thing sounds familiar? Enemies became kinda almost friends?

Bleach and Naruto is the same get strong and enemies be friends somewhat. And this and that. I stopped watching/reading both since it got boring for me. But I'll probably start reading it again when they're over.

The relatively unknown-

Noblesse got creatures of the night like vampires, werewolves, mutants and this one bamf mofo you don't wanna mess with who is apparently the butler for the main character (*cough* Kuroshitsuji *cough* except he's no demon). Like Kuroko, hey fight different opponents with higher level of strength until the boss level thing. "Enemies" became friends or allies. The really bad mofo died though. The thing I love most about Noblesse is the humor. I don't know why but the awkward funny thing gets to me, it just does.

I mostly read/watch shonen stuff so I'm not qualified to comment on romance cliche or some of the other genre. Sorry about that.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

fitarol15

fitarol15

*Karin-Koenig <3

What Does "cliché" Means?

"Ducunt Volentem Fata Nolentem Trahunt = Fate leads the willing soul, but drags along the unwilling one"
Signature

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Quote by fitarol15What Does "cliché" Means?

Perhaps try to use google before you reply into a serious discussion.

Anyways. Cliché is anime is what it makes it actually a anime. Why I would hate everywhere else, but not in anime, as long it slowly became a feature. So basically almost every is my favorite.

"I want you introduce a new transfer student" - the evergreen in almost every school themed series, as long mostly the transfer student is the main hero, or a old childhood friend of his/her. I love comedies where multiple weird looking transfer students are introduced after each other (like in Witchcraft Works)

"Main hero always sits in the last seat by the window" I managed to figure out that this due is basically the place with the best view. He can view the whole class, is hidden from the teacher and also has a view to the track field. Hope my logic is right.

"get a clueless avereage kid, put him into a mecha and tell him that according your DNA or etc. only you are compatible and can save our Earth" - I think they want say that even you as a average person could be a hero. Probably.

Things what I cannot get:

Anime gluttony - I know that chakra can be a tiring thing, but I don't get how can Naruto eat 3 huge bowls of ramen, when I could barely eat one medium bowl, despite that Im twice older. And this is feature of many other series, even with females stuffing their bellies until exploding. Well, its anime, some would say.

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by akiranyo"Main hero always sits in the last seat by the window" I managed to figure out that this due is basically the place with the best view. He can view the whole class, is hidden from the teacher and also has a view to the track field. Hope my logic is right.

From personal experience, sitting in the back row meant always being picked to answer whenever the teachers thought you weren't paying attention (even if you were) :P Maybe it's also a technique to make the hero(ine) stand out from the rest of the class? He/She is easier to spot if they're in a corner or to the side, as opposed to being crammed with everyone else whose faces aren't usually drawn as detailed (which would be even more noticeable).

Quote by akiranyo"get a clueless avereage kid, put him into a mecha and tell him that according your DNA or etc. only you are compatible and can save our Earth" - I think they want say that even you as a average person could be a hero. Probably.

Bingo. A lot of people fantasize about having some unknown hidden (super)power or quality that would make them superior in some way to everyone around them, if used. That being said, the hero(ine) must inevitably crash the giant mecha into someone/something else during the trial-and-error phase XD

Naruto probably has insane metabolism. All that screaming takes energy, yanno. Either that, or these characters' bellies are part of Basic Hammerspace.
----------------------

Reiterating a bit what Redwyn stated about losing the first game in Kuroko no Basket - yeah, I like it when the hero(ine) doesn't succeed in their task right away and has to train and fail a few times. Maybe that's part of the appeal of Sailor Moon, even though she's supposedly the most powerful being in the Universe; she'd essentially be a Mary Sue if all her crying and whining was endearing instead of annoying, and if she mastered her powers immediately (though with Usagi it's more of a mental barrier instead of a power limitation).

I have no problem with antagonists becoming "good" or at the very least "antiheroes" if it's done in a believable way (a.k.a. it's not sudden like flipping a switch).

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Regarding the endless appetite, ramen is a type of food which makes you extremly full very easily (guess the noodles?). While we are regulars at japanese restaurants, non of my friends could ever finish 100% a standard sized bowl (at least always some of the juice got left in the bottom) so I get shivers when certain characters in anime make a tower out of empty bowls.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc221/akiranyo/th_ramen-1_zps45d3c262.jpg

This is my curry flavored ramen. Couldn't finish it either.

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.