Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do you think the invisible on AIM is icky too? - Minitokyo

Do you think the invisible on AIM is icky too?

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Vivid-Rein

Vivid-Rein

Brom's slave

I was wondering (after having many arguments with friends and other people -cough bromithia cough-) if you cared at all for the newer aim features. I find it to be very stupid and useless... If you dont want to talk to people a) put up an away message... or B) Block them. Even if the people do have multiple ways of reaching you can just tell them to go away or something >_> people arent that hardheaded... And if it does lead to violence then obviously you arent very good friends >_> Sigh...it seems that all my friends find the invisible feature "cool" and fun >_> those losers -points at brom and foolish-ishness- XD...So what do you all think about it??

"This will be our final battle..."
Signature

Foolish-ishness

Foolish-ishness

.:Obaka-san:.

Quote by Vivid-Rein Even
if the people do have multiple ways of reaching you can just tell them
to go away or something >_> people arent that hardheaded...

You are :(

i use it often, when I'm doing stuff and only want to talk to 1 or 2 people.

Signature Image

I think this feature is awesome. It not only prevents anonymous imers from contacting you, but for some reason, you want to be on-line, but don't want a relative, friends, etc, contacting you either. It's like, hey, I'm online, but I'm not ready to chat just yet. But then again, that's what "I'm Away" is for, but hear me out:

Or, if they have more sophisticated feature, you can click on a usernames in your buddy list to make yourself invisible while those don't have checkbox marked can see you online and im you as long they don't have a checkbox marked. Sweeeet feature.

Vivid-Rein

Vivid-Rein

Brom's slave

Well coco, you can just use the "block anonmyous users" preference in the preference section of aim... Then you dont get annoying people IMing you constantly. I still prefer my block feature, and when im ready to talk to whoever i blocked, i just unblock them and they are like "Woah!! I havent seen you in so long!!" But then again, a lot of my IRL friends are dumbasses >_>;

And fool, i just noticed you blocked me XD

Signature

I personally find it it useless since I never use, but I guess it's good feature to have.

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

I like to use it cos sometimes I want to see who's on but I don't want to talk cos I'm working or something else. I'll come off invisible if there's something pressing I need to grab someone about.

Course, I don't like to be bothered by random people so I have my preferences set so only people on my buddy list can IM me.

Vivid-Rein

Vivid-Rein

Brom's slave

Quote by egnirysI like to use it cos sometimes I want to see who's on but I don't want to talk cos I'm working or something else. I'll come off invisible if there's something pressing I need to grab someone about.
Course, I don't like to be bothered by random people so I have my preferences set so only people on my buddy list can IM me.

Well Egnirys, thats what the away message feature was for >_>;

Signature

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

i guess it's ok i don't use it though only if i don't want to be buged

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Quote by Vivid-Rein

Quote by egnirysI like to use it cos sometimes I want to see who's on but I don't want to talk cos I'm working or something else. I'll come off invisible if there's something pressing I need to grab someone about.

Well Egnirys, thats what the away message feature was for >_>;

Umm.. what, you're telling me how to use my aim now? I can use whatever features I want. If I wanted to be "away", I would. However, I still get IMs from people with my away on, thank you.

Vivid-Rein

Vivid-Rein

Brom's slave

Quote by egnirysUmm.. what, you're telling me how to use my aim now? I can use whatever features I want. If I wanted to be "away", I would. However, I still get IMs from people with my away on, thank you.

First, i wasnt telling you to do anything.
Second, i was just stating that the away feature is used to do that kinda stuff >_>;
Third, you just proved that the invisible feature is useless unless the person is too lazy to put up an away message
Fourth, i dont care what features you use, i was just asking if anyone else hated the invisible feature, so dont get an additude with me.

Signature

Kozumura

Kozumura

????

Yes I hate the inivisble feature, but it's quite useless, but since i dont use AIM, (i'm a trillian user) I don't have all that snazzy new stuff the aim user get. BUt I don't need it :P I usually go away for a couple hr, or if I away for a certain extend, trillian automaticallys bust out an away message.

icom158

Invisibility isn't something new. ICQ had it way back when, but since AOL bought out ICQ, they finally implemented the feature in AIM. Before invisibility, I would just create another screen name with my really close friends.

lil-cammy

lil-cammy

Hey, where's my keg?

It's an ok feature. I've used it a few times when I was too busy with something to respond. Because I think we all know that Away messages don't always work the way they should. People still IM you, just because. Sometimes people have full conversations with your Away message until you are bugged enough to finally answer them. Of course, in that case you could block the person or just sign off. I'd like it better if it had the same feature as Trillian, where you can have your Away message up and talk through it without having to take it down. Still, the Invisible feature is still something. Now if AIM would just get rid of the rest of the crap they include in this bloated package already and you might have a decent IM program.

Signature

Vivid-Rein

Vivid-Rein

Brom's slave

Umm lil, unless you didnt notice, you CAN talk while you have away message up, it depends if you have the right program or version...And, most smart people will stop bugging you when your away message up, unless i know them since my friends are all angsty dumbasses (besides the ones here ^-^;)

Signature

lil-cammy

lil-cammy

Hey, where's my keg?

Actually, I can't speak through my away message. I've tried but my status immediately returns to online when I IM a person or return an IM. I'm currently using version 5.5 of AIM. I think there's a later version but seeing as how I had to anti-AOL my computer (in other words, it loaded a bunch of crap like ViewPoint Media Player, AOD, and other nuisances) I'm not in the mood to download a new version and gain all the crapware all over again. I even edited the registry to get around downloading a beta version of AIM when that away message buffer overflow problem was found in version 5.5. I really should just get Trillian, gaim, or something else. Maybe when I get that new harddrive.

So I think that's what you might be thinking of when you mention the right program or version, Vivid-Rein. And true, smart people do stop IMing when the away message is up but then there are those others like you mentioned that don't . ^_^;;

BTW, I like your userpage! Nice job! One day I'll get my lazy self to customize my own, heheh.

Signature

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Quote by lil-cammyI really should just get Trillian, gaim, or something else.

Dead Aim - http://www.jdennis.net It's worth the five bucks a year. I can talk through my away without it going off.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

I find AIM's invisibility very handy when I need to get on and talk to just one specific person, or when I need to end conversations and get offline but have to finish whatever we're discussing. Keeps me from being flooded with new IMs.

I am invincible!

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.