Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Need help in regards to moving data hard drive to new pc! - Minitokyo

Need help in regards to moving data hard drive to new pc!

page 1 of 1 11 total items

david2331

david2331

Supreme Lord

I got a new pc and want to move my 250gb drive to it. All it has is data. Will my data be erased if I have to reformat the drive?

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

If you reformat the drive, then the date will be lost. If it's just data, then I presume you have another HDD used for intalling the OS? If so, then you don't need to touch your 250gb data drive, just simply place it in the new PC and plug it in :) .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

david2331

david2331

Supreme Lord

Quote by Aa-chanIf you reformat the drive, then the date will be lost. If it's just data, then I presume you have another HDD used for intalling the OS? If so, then you don't need to touch your 250gb data drive, just simply place it in the new PC and plug it in :) .

Thanks!

Or, if you want to install a new OS you can move all the data to another partition like D: and then just format C:

NerdyPenguin

NerdyPenguin

Smarter than the average penguin

I for one cringe at the thought of having all that data on one drive, without any backups at all. Hard drives go bad, computers get virii, and people sometimes accidentally hit "delete". If your data is that important, get a CD burner and make backups...otherwise, sooner or later you'll be wishing you did .

That said, assuming you know what you're doing you shouldn't have any problems swapping the drive, assuming you use another drive for the OS. Just don't use any of those partition resizers...even though I've never used them and can't talk from experience, I wouldn't trust them with a 10 meter pole, :sweat:

"...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs."
-- Robert Firth

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong
and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a
thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually
turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
- One of the laws of computers and programming revealed in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

david2331

david2331

Supreme Lord

Quote by NerdyPenguinI for one cringe at the thought of having all that data on one drive, without any backups at all. Hard drives go bad, computers get virii, and people sometimes accidentally hit "delete". If your data is that important, get a CD burner and make backups...otherwise, sooner or later you'll be wishing you did .
That said, assuming you know what you're doing you shouldn't have any problems swapping the drive, assuming you use another drive for the OS. Just don't use any of those partition resizers...even though I've never used them and can't talk from experience, I wouldn't trust them with a 10 meter pole, :sweat:

Thanks for the advice. :)

Well, 250 GB of data is a lot, and a CD burner just won't cut it anymore. Shell out a few more bucks for a DVD burner.

Signature Image

If you are moving your HD to a new computer, it is best that your new computer has a similar motherboard as your old system.

With my experience, if your installing a new motherboard, chances are that your OS wont like that very much. It is always best to install a fresh copy of your OS after you install a new motherboard or you put your HD into a new computer.

However, I have not personally tried swapping regular IDE harddrives into new systems. I have swapped removable SCSI harddrives, but they are designed for that.

My suggestion is to just get another HD and ghost your information onto that new HD using Norton Ghost. Trust me buying a second harddrive is the best thing if you want complete data backup. DVD's are just too expensive in the end (especially if you want to back up a large HD). DO NOT ghost OVER YOUR OLD harddrive. Making an image of your new harddrive and putting it over your old HD means that all data will be erased with no hope of recovery.

That is my advice.

DVDs aren't that expensive anymore. You can get good quality media for about $45 per 100 spindle. Plus, DVD burners are going down in prices too. Personally, I'd rather have 20 or so DVDs instead of about 90 CDs.

Signature Image

david2331

david2331

Supreme Lord

Quote by someweirdguyWell, 250 GB of data is a lot, and a CD burner just won't cut it anymore. Shell out a few more bucks for a DVD burner.

No prob, in my old comp I got a dvd+rw burner. I also have plenty of dvd+rw discs.

Quote by 7eight7If you are moving your HD to a new computer, it is best that your new computer has a similar motherboard as your old system.

Yeah that's another ploblem I had. The motherboard of my new pc is completey different and designed for sata drives. The connections I can use for the 250gb drive were already used up by a dvd+/-rw and a cd+/-rw.

i ended up disconnecting the cd+/-rw in order to connect the drive. What a waste of money, now the CD drive is useless for me, so I won't be able to burn copies of cds I already have.

Aa-chan was correct; after I connected the drive my data was ok. Anyways thank you all for the help. :)

Quote by david2331
Yeah that's another ploblem I had. The motherboard of my new pc is
completey different and designed for sata drives. The connections I can
use for the 250gb drive were already used up by a dvd+/-rw and a
cd+/-rw. i ended up disconnecting the cd+/-rw in order to connect the
drive. What a waste of money, now the CD drive is useless for me, so I
won't be able to burn copies of cds I already have.
Aa-chan was correct; after I connected the drive my data was ok.
Anyways thank you all for the help. :)

well you can always get IDE controller cards for PCI if you need the extra connections
i need them for my 5 250gb UltraATA133 setup for my server

~Seraphim Angel~

Without the past,
there is no present,
and without the present,
there is no future...

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.