Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Religion [b]and[/b] Science category? - Minitokyo

Religion [b]and[/b] Science category?

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

Well on a first thought, it dawns on me that it is odd that religion and science are categorized in the same forum section, because they are supposed to be pretty much antinomic.
But then maybe it's just that they both seek to find the "truth" of the world or of our existence, the 'meaning of life' as the Monthy Pythons would say. Just not in the same manner, religion's purposed being to develop inner peace and find our "place" in the world / universe (which is part of the truth i'd say, but to a personnal level), and science trying to find the universal truth that we can perceive i guess.

So what do you think about these two topics being categorized in the same lounge? Any thoughts on religion and science aim?

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

I think part of the reason that they were put in the same lounge is not only what you said, but because people are always arguing science vs. religion. It's not a particularly intelligent argument, in my opinion, but it's a common one (e.g., Evolutionism v. Creationism).

I think that's why.

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

Quote by embershadow because people are always arguing science vs. religion

So it's because they're seen as opposites right? like black and white, and not seeing the grey parts.

Yes i think you're right, it might be the case. Though i guess that science and religion might be 2 parts of the same 'quest' as i said above, and that they're complementary and not opposites.

Hmm... this is hard... basically like you've said, they both seek the truth of the universe, but obviously from different perspectives. So... I think it's best to put it that way so people don't argue. And by the way, religion needs science and science needs religion too, no? From what I've seen through tv, most research involves a lot around religion. Religion came here first before science do. So... what the science actually seek is quite related to religion. I think... just me crapping along. ^^

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Quote by AnjhurinWell on a first thought, it dawns on me that it is odd that religion and science are categorized in the same forum section, because they are supposed to be pretty much antinomic.
But then maybe it's just that they both seek to find the "truth" of the world or of our existence, the 'meaning of life' as the Monthy Pythons would say. Just not in the same manner, religion's purposed being to develop inner peace and find our "place" in the world / universe (which is part of the truth i'd say, but to a personnal level), and science trying to find the universal truth that we can perceive i guess.

So what do you think about these two topics being categorized in the same lounge? Any thoughts on religion and science aim?

I suspect it is to cause arguments.

I am invincible!

griffin

griffin

Super Natty

I agree with you (Anjhurin) entirely and without knowing you had made this thread, I made a very similar one. I think though, that I am more outraged than you as this is exactly how propaganda is performed. It's called "insideous". How you ask the question is how you create the answer you want.

The example which demonstrates this best for me is this one:

Q: On a packet of Camel cigarettes (smoking kills) is the illustrated man riding the camel or leading the camel?

A: There is no illustrated man on a packet of Camel.

This is a simple example to illustrate my point but it's also just the beginning of the many, frightening possibilities

I guess from my knowledge of science (and I loves me science) it's always been important to keep them seperate least you go down the gurgler. One topic (science) you can get off the arm chair, do experiments, make theories and test them, improve on theories and then the car goes vrooom or the bomb goes boom. The other topic (religion) you can say "What I reckon is...", then you go to war because someone doesn't like your point of view but ultimately one never arrives at a single testable fact. I would suggest that the only reason science and religion are being mixed previously, is that the creationists and religious fundamentalists have purposly driven it that way. Having said that, I believe that science would find God before a religion ever did real science.

Science and faith are by no means mutually exclusive. Many people assume faith automatically equates to "blind faith".. notice the qualifier: "blind". Faith by itself just means belief.. it can evidence or proof.. or not. Im christian and the only reason i am is because of what evidences i've found. The bible never tells christians to believe blindly (contrary to what many of them portray).
"critically examine all things and hold fast to that which is good" 1 thes 5:21

Read this and see if christianity comes off as blind faith or not. :)
www.godandscience.org

beethoven

beethoven

darkness

the truth is that science proves that there is some type of GOD or some other infenatly powerful entity that created everything no matter how much the ((We are god's in our selves)) and other like them people try to lie in the reports don't le them lie to you just think what caused the first big bang if the big bang made all the matter in the univers where did the matter from the first one come from.

and even this Why are the GREAT SCIENTISTthrough out the intierty of history CHRISTAN eienstine newton the guy how did the gentics iwith the beans((monk even)) ALL GREAT SCIENTIST ARE CHRISTAINS or from another unitary divinity religions BUDA ALI CHRIST ECT.

Only in the dark of your soul can you reveal the light of your heart" Stephen Penton
Signature

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

As was mentioned, Science and Religion is in most cases opposites, but are frequently played down against each other. So instead of having an religious group here and a scientific group there, each group muttering obscenities towards the other in secret, we now have both opposites in the same group - each faction having to defend its own beliefs against the other. Good argumentative excercise if you ask me.

Therefore a good idea if you ask me! The world isn't so secular anymore that you can hide your views or ignore others' views.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

winterlilac09

winterlilac09

white freed by her savior~

religion and science are typically looked at as opposites, and two very controversial issues that are very commonly argued upon. as have mentioned, it could be one of the reasons why they are put in the same category, to counter one another and spur new thoughts and ideas for threads.

personally, i've always considered science as a religion in itself, but this is just a personal theory. religion is usually defined as a set of beliefs and values, is it not? and science is a belief if a person is atheistic and believes that there isn't a superior being and that the universe was created on sole scientic terms. and a value is a principle or standard of which one finds worthwhile- and isn't believing in science rather than religion a value in itself? that's just me rambling on though :E

but back on the main subject, i think it's fine that they're put in the same category since you can relate one to the other and vice versa. they are typically argued upon as two sides of a debate and probably one of the other reasons why they are categorized as with one another-

it also saves space on mt and doesn't give people another category of threads of which they have to choose from :E

f a l l i n g . i n t o . s w e e t . c e l e s t i a l . d r e a m
l i g h t . i n . s h e e r . a n d . s i m p l e . s l e e p

Signature Image

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

Quote by beethovenand even this Why are the GREAT SCIENTISTthrough out the intierty of history CHRISTAN eienstine newton the guy how did the gentics iwith the beans((monk even)) ALL GREAT SCIENTIST ARE CHRISTAINS or from another unitary divinity religions BUDA ALI CHRIST ECT.

What kind of history did they teach you?

Most important mathematical fundamentals were discovered in ancient times (that's way B.C). The Numeric system we are currently using was developed by persian, along with some mathematical rules. etc.

Every culture on this planet has contributed many great schientific achievements to humankind.

PS: christian religions were the ones restricting science for most part of the last 2000 years.

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Of course! Our current nummeracy system came from the muslim arabs during the 14th-15th cents. who on their turn got it from India still earlier. Most of the foundations of modern science, mathematics and philosphy (at least for Europe) came from Classical Greece, Muslim Mesopotamia (Persia), the Old Ancient Near East - those Babilonians and Egyptians knew and understood Pythagoras' rule even in 1,800 BC!

Just after the Middle Ages the church tried to halter any scientific research that were different from what the Bible said. Ever heard of Copernicus? Galileo? Those guys (amongst others who weren't burn as heretics) had a helluva lot of trouble to get past the church.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.