Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 To download or not to download. that is the question - Minitokyo

To download or not to download. that is the question

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

Personally I like to read fansubs rather than subs done by a big companny, sometimes fansubs seem more curtious in a way

There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only necessity...

Dfire

Dfire

101%chewy goodness

I download it all, but most series that I downloaded are the ones I like. And the ones I like, I buy anyway. Luckily for me, the military stores offer cheaper prices for anime, but that won't be for long. I only have another two years then I'll have to pay the super high prices. :(

Vetus

Vetus

Lonely Rolling Star

Even thought an anime get licenced, from the time that the most anime have an awful dub (One Piece, Card Captor Sakura, Full Metal Alchemist e.t.c.), I prefer the fansub. After all, fansub provides you useful informations during the episode (e.x. explanation of a japanese word or habit). Apart from that, anime DVDs are extremely expensive.

At least, I support manga market by bying the original books and not downloading them.Don't forget that manga received less censorship than anime, as anime are usually showed on TV.

What is "normal", anyway? If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.

I download whatever I find interesting, if the anime's really good I ususally go out and buy the dvd if its out.

Even with awful dubs though, you always have the translations done by pros. I guess its made in such a way that we can understand it without any understanding, which isnt entirely bad. I just wonder if there will ever be some sort of crack down on us anime dl'ers.. would be interesting to see... kinda.

There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only necessity...

I say you can download it to try it, if it was not that good, it was like you rented it, if you own it download away and if it was real good you should get it to support the company. Then again, if you could not pay for it even if you wanted to, I guess you could talk good about it and get others to buy it for a 'commision', but I am not totally againjst it.

haldir

CTA Designs...

i think its not bad

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

buying an anime DVD costs a whole month's lunch for me.... T_T
so I prefer d/l'ing it...
long live the internet!!

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

Icewind

Icewind

Cyber Punk

if it ant in the us yet go a head better to get a feal fore it than to wast all your money

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

lalatne

Meier Link

Me only download anime that are license or unlicense if it's complete if the anime not complete and it's license damn no way. I no rich guy to buy DVD.

urdchan

goddess of fate

I rarely download anime, mostly because I am very selective when it comes to quality. I did download some anime once, but the quality was very poor. I'm sure it has come a long way since then, but I still prefer to order it from Japan directly if UL, or buy it if it is available in the U.S.

Signature
...without the dark there can be no light...

kuroz

kuroz

Confused?

I think this is a good topic but sadly the posts here seemed skewed towards downloading. Personally, I download much much more than i buy simply because I cannot afford them. To a great extent, I agree with the view that distributors want people to believe that piracy thru internet downloading is bad coz they wanna profit from it.

However, I'm concern whether the rampant downloading will create a situation where the anime industry is simply unprofitable and where studios no longer can afford to pay animators and scriptwriters(dunno what's the technical jargon here). I'm honestly afraid that this might happen and kill the entire anime industry. Furthermore, with the prevalent view that downloading is so much better (no english dub) and at almost no cost, I'm worried that there would be a huge fall in people buying licensed anime resulting in the anti-piracy grps coming down hard on fansub grp. I abhor to imagine what will happen then... :\

So, my point is that if you really like an anime series and can afford it, pls buy it... (Do i sound like distributors... :hmpf:

download unliscensed and then buy it when it comes out to support the anime industry so that more can come out. ^^

~Bell

Is it right? Probably not.

Legal, moral etc? Probably not as well.

But, yeah, I do it nonetheless. Guess I'm just lackin' in morals and such. Ah well.

It download all the anime I like :hmpf:
But sometimes if I can get an anime DVD a little Cheaper I'll buy it.
In the Netherland there aren't much anime shops ,There's not even 1 in my city.
And in the Netherlands anime are expensive !!!
If you want to buy a good anime movie , you have to pay like €30 !
And that is a lot of money for little boys like me -_-
So than there is only one solution ;download IT !

Licencied or not, this is illegal :D

Terra-chan

Terra-chan

Crazy Lazy Workaholic

Here in Canada the average anime DVD is about $40-$45. Even DVDs that have 3 episodes and no extras.

When I think "dvd" I think of the bonus over "vhs" because I grew up with VHS and even when DVDs first came out there wasn't too much special about them... but NOW for DVDs, what makes a DVD worthwhile is Extras. DVDs are more expensive because of the greater quality and anime DVDs are more expensive because of all the work done in getting the licenses and doing dubs and subs. but frankly... if a company can't even bother giving extras, it's not worth buying something. Extras make the DVD and the more that's on a DVD the more value it has...

And then there are anime that likely won't be licensed that are very minor and don't have large followings or awesome art (like Twin Spica) that survive only on their story that will never come over here.

I download mainly unlicensed anime, but will continue downloading if an anime is licensed before it ends. I figure it's okay as long as the series hasn't actually been released yet. And like people said, cultural notes are added within fan-subs to help series comprehension.

I'd buy more anime if it weren't so expensive OR if at least the anime DVDs had enough on it to actually seem worth the Price. (The Fruits Basket DVDs were definitely worth the $45 dollars each)

But as things are, I stick to downloading and only buy series I think are worth buying on DVD. I think that Kyou Kara Maou is worth getting, but I worry that it's been licensed by Geneon who normally releases only 3 episodes a DVD with NO extras... I'd be happy if they did 5 episodes a DVD and no extras... that would be ok... or 3 episodes a DVD and lots of extras... but 3 episodes and no extras really doesn't seem worth $45, does it?

Signature
~ Deviant Artist ~ Comic Spriter ~ | ~ Are you UNDERAPPRECIATED
~ Come see the wonders of the Host Club ~

hmm same situation as me -_- why is it so expensive ?

NachoKun

Patron of Pocky

I download some series, normally when theyre not licenced, but if they are i try to buy the domestic dvds when available... that is if the domestic isnt butchered, in that case i keep the fansubs

"As the raven is born of its own, so does kindness beget kindness" ~ Mareg (excerpt from Grandia II )

"Wether it grew from a need for vengeance, or from deciding to run fom something... Strength is still Strength" ~ Satsuki Yotsuba (Negima! Magister Negi Magi)

kinyo

capricious

download, watch, and if you like it, keep or burn onto cds. no harm in that :P and if you can afford the dvds, then why not?

which is why i need another harddrive :(

lyn02

lyn02

yoru!

d/l is fine... as long as the creator/studio/rights-holder doesn't mind and/or doesn't find out ne? XD But really, is all good publicity for the show anyway ^^

+ In a white room, where blood was like rose petals and Death had two faces +
Signature

Don't download because you never know if you are going to get a virus or whatever.
And the unlicensed ones r just ugh....

Wish you can forgive your yesterdays
Wish you can love your tomorrows

neverknowsbesta

who are you?

Unless the series is really good, I don't buy it. The way I see it, watching fansubs isn't that different from catching the show on TV =)

http://www.fictionpress.com/~trilogy Old stories I'll add to one day

There!
And, without a sound,
through the undergrowth
steel in both hands/ god in the other
topaz earrings and chocker of copper
cloth of earth
under the desert and ocean fire
setting sun, merging heart
you run where the oni sleeps
white and beautiful
and you
you can see how it lives

Quote by Lady-LotusDon't download because you never know if you are going to get a virus or whatever.
And the unlicensed ones r just ugh....

well i have a good virus scan and fire wall so im not 2 worried of having a virus frm them but i do download anime like crazy (if i have room on my pc) and i never buy cuz...well...im broke

hehe sorry for m bad selling. im not good at grammar :P

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.