Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Nice Walls Finish Last - Minitokyo

Nice Walls Finish Last

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 67 total items

ex-paranoia

pWn3d by Expy

*anonymous vote*

Not going to tell you what I voted for, but it's a good topic to discuss, since I think that many people on the forums/galleries think about it alot without saying anything about it.

AH-Zeruel

AH-Zeruel

Bishounen Angel Hunter

i think a new structure would be nice, i once proposed to make a rank, so good walls would be ranked and they would be more time in a specific page, because the flow of submissions here is huge

I want to take this chance to open that proposal again because good walls also deserve a chance, even if the author is not that friendly :P

Go Then- Said the Angel -And Leave This World to Those Who Trully Care-
Signature

..::Hispanime::.. El acento que faltaba .. . .. ..::Wallpaper Critique Club::.. Start of a New Journey
..::Ecchi-Club::.. Proud member :')

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

Well of course I agree. Alot of good walls DO tend to get washed away un-noticed much, if at all. Why do ye think I started the group I did? To try and buck the trend a bit.

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by AH-ZeruelI want to take this chance to open that proposal again because good
walls also deserve a chance, even if the author is not that friendly :P

lol - at least I'm friendly alright. Crazy wallers. **Pulls out a chainsaw** Hmm... well thank you for taking the time to revive this one yet again.

As of current - it's getting worse as we speak, in my opinion. For example, just yesterday - I saw one of Belmikry's walls being posted up pretty quickly and some other rips and other low-quality work [no offense] really pushed hers out of the main page after half-an-hour... and it's a shame, really. I wonder how many people keep track of all these wonderful wallpapers that simply, as Teryon says, [as well as many others who said the same concept when the thread first opened up], gets washed away.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Zadkhi

Zadkhi

l i v e d r e a m e r

I'm not really sure if "Nice walls finish last," but I do know that with my English papers, it doesn't seem that way. It can take me ages to write, but I get a not-so-hot grade on it.

Go figure.

I think walls are the same way, but then again, that depends on a person's choice in taste. I for one, really appreciate elegance and simplicity over clutter and convolution. Just because someone spent days working layering and layering and layering doesn't mean it will be a "better" wallpaper. In fact, I admit to seeing wallpapers where I know the person put a lot of effort into it, yet I myself don't really like it because it seems to be too... much.

Does that make any sense?

But despite my own personal tastes, I DO recognize effort and time put into artwork and I've seen your work, which is quite lovely. I haven't favorite-ed any wallpapers yet seeing as how I'm sort of new here, but I promise to give some C & C when I do. :)

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

cmkmstephens

cmkmstephens

ARrrrrrrggg!

You just have to make sure that when you prowl for wallpapers, you look through all the pages (like 100 for Gundam SEED or Naruto). It takes a while, but often there are some walls that are nestled in the back.

I would go with the wash away vote.

Signature Image

Zadkhi

Zadkhi

l i v e d r e a m e r

Quote by cmkmstephensYou just have to make sure that when you prowl for wallpapers, you look through all the pages (like 100 for Gundam SEED or Naruto). It takes a while, but often there are some walls that are nestled in the back.
I would go with the wash away vote.

Yeap. I know there are some jewels hidden waaaaay back. I wish MT would scroll through old "goodies" in the gallery so older pieces can be shown. :)

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

Quote by MordinI bet the number of friends you have in mt helps a lot in getting
respect for your work. I have seen example of work that is very good
left by the roadside simply because the person isn't well known in mt.
One reason for this to happen is because people don't really browse the
gallery section in dilergence, because they would just choose the work
of the people in their friendlist. And since the work is recognized
here in mt by the amount of fav, the advantage go to the established
members who does have a lot of friends. Now before you guys point out
how wrong I am about this, this is just a generalization of the problem
I felt exist in mt. However, I would suggest to those that felt
frustrate by this standard, they shouldn't worry about getting fav. As
long as their work makes one person happy then you have done your job,
because the sole purpose of sharing your work is to have another person
share your passion and to appreciate your effort. If you are all about
reputation, then I suggest you should try marketing your work instead
of sharing them. :)

Very nicely said.
Another factor seem to be ecchi but that just me...

Learning little by little.
Signature

I was wondering about this yesterday. I posted my first piece of art on the site and its something I really wanted some feedback on to know whether it sucks goat doo-doo or not but now I am depressed cause it seems nobody really looked at it. I signed up cause I think this site rocks when I first saw it and this excited me into drawing again, which i haven't done in a long while. It was real inspiration, but now I am doubtful.

I would agree it's onl natural for people to look for their friends stuff and it would seem that if you don't have a lot of friends here your stuff gets over looked.

But then I think you shouldn't just set something as fav if it is no good.
Positive critique is all good, so how about some. We all want to improve right?

DeusIth

The universe in a dot

I think this is a matter of the true intention of the "Favorites" thingy.
As far I've seen there are two definitions in play:

1) The Favorites Function is the one that MT provides to all the comunity to congratulate really well done wallpapers in a objetive way of evaluating the work of the author.
2) The Favorites Function is the one that MT provides me to congratulate the wallpapers that i like and appeal to my taste and keep track of them in my favorites gallery.

For what I've seen in this post, most of the participants are following the first definition, but complaining that everyone else follows the seccond. However, I've not seen anywhere in MT (or at least haven't found) the document that tells me how to use the Favorites function since I've beleave it will not be found because it's a function kinda obvious to understand, right? Well, this topic shows that the subjetive nature of the favorites makes all this trouble, since everyone uses it as sees fit.
I'll be honest: the first thing i though when I saw the function was "this is to let know the author that I like his/her wally" not "this will let me congratulate a job really well done, even if i dont like it"
Notice that I highlighted the main concepts of the use of the definitions here. I think those are the ones that make all the "confusement" in the correct usage of the favs thinngy and the comments part....
Hope this makes sense at all >.<

ever-ruler

ever-ruler

..: winter air :..

I find that sometimes really good wallpapers or submissions being washed away in the gallery. Not all artists get the credit they deserve and some aren't appreciated as they should.

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

Eh, somewhat. I see more really horrible ones than good ones anyway... to be expected though. MT is growing you get a rush of Photoshop newbies, given time they should become better.. anyway back on topic.

To the OP, yeah it really upsets me when the walls I put the most work in don't get comments or critiques. There are some people though that I really love hearing from and they seem to get all my "underrated" walls. Some of my "meh" walls are getting more attention than my "I'm so proud of myself look what I did :D" walls.

What really irks me though... is in order to get the attention and crits you need to meet these standards:
1) Pretty girl.
2) Fanservice.
3) Photorealism.
4) Multiple pretty girls.

Otherwise kiss your comments and crits goodbye, no one seems to look at walls that don't have those.

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

Quote by RitalinWhat really irks me though... is in order to get the attention and
crits you need to meet these standards:
1) Pretty girl.
2) Fanservice.
3) Photorealism.
4) Multiple pretty girls.
Otherwise kiss your comments and crits goodbye, no one seems to look at
walls that don't have those.

You're forgetting the most important factor: HUGE friendlist. That alone makes a wallpaper skyrocket to the top highlighted submissions, then all the other "standards" you mentioned will do the rest of the job. Appearently the majority of people on MT seem to fave blindly whatever work their "friends" submit without giving real critique.

white-zero

white-zero

Left this part of the universe.

Meh. I agree with you, Shinn. But that's reality. If you have more than 300 pals, at least 100 is bound to give a fav on each submission.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Quote by TeryonWell of course I agree. Alot of good walls DO tend to get washed away un-noticed much, if at all. Why do ye think I started the group I did? To try and buck the trend a bit.

Yes... about the friends = faves part I totally agree.

Well, I'm writing here because well, I do believe a lot of good stuff gets blown away into the distant corners of the desert, never to be found like a contact lens in the sand- what bothers me so much is when I'm like going through a gallery let's say, I get kinda pissed because I see something crap (no offence man, no particular names or anything, I don't know any names either) and they get heaps of favourites or more favourites than something that seems more deserrving to me. What annoys me more is like those ecchi scans get heaps cuz people are like "omg... sexy chick +fave" and ecchi wallies of course are the same...

... I'm not saying the top favourites are undeserving... they are great wallpapers, but there are a lot of other wallies... maybe different in artistic expression, but nonetheless still very very good. Another problem I find is those popular categories like let's say Naruto. No offence or anything, grab the same scan, whack it on another background. Be bombarded with faves even though it's the tenth deviation of the same scan. What's the point man? Sometimes it's all ~_~

Anyway... enough of me complaining... just trying to express my opinions... boobies and sparkles... man... >.<

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

chibicow

chibicow

i_miss_MT_1.0

Sadly what you say is true - i find, that although my work may not be flawless, the walls and scans i submit go unoticed all to often. I found myself sending hours on them and i thinks its only because i dont have the time to go around be-friending every other member inorder to get attention.
At the same time, there are some (however very few) that get appreciated but not to their full pontential.

yes, it fucking pisses me off...look at my last wall, today a new wall was submitted by someone using the same scan, but this person had around 180 friends, after a few hours their wall has 35 fav and 4 pages of comments..mine has around 30 favs and 3 pages of comments after around a week...no offense to the creator, as I believe they are far more able and skilled than me...but not on that particular wall.

Signature Image

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Quote by SharinganKnightyes, it fucking pisses me off...look at my last wall, today a new wall was submitted by someone using the same scan, but this person had around 180 friends, after a few hours their wall has 35 fav and 4 pages of comments..mine has around 30 favs and 3 pages of comments after around a week...no offense to the creator, as I believe they are far more able and skilled than me...but not on that particular wall.

Well, I must say that about 2 weeks ago I submitted a wall... I like it... but well it didn't get taken too well ( I can't say which one it was, because you'd know immediately who the other person is by checking it up ) I saw another wallpaper with the same scan... and I only got like 1 more favourite than the other one... and I thought that the one I saw was pretty... errr... you get the idea... and I spent all the time making the extraction perfect, background, brushing... but this person didn't even bother extracting properly, whacked the scan on a really bright background and did a distort filter on it. That's it. And I spent hours finding a background to suit the scan and yet only managed one more favourite... and don't know now, possibly that wallpaper has overtaken mine... I feel cheated in a way... but that's life... I can't even get 10 favourites on a wallpaper... which is really sad... I think I deserve at least 10 on one at least... geez... can't be that hard... T.T

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

hongrboi

hongrboi

getting pwned by school

I don't know. I like the wall by how complex it is. If I don't know how that person made the wall, then I would like it because it's not something I can jsut make. I don't know much on photoshop so the stuff I make is pretty boring. When I see something i don't know, I'll try to copy it without a tutorial.

"Once two star have collided and return to their orbit, the chance of colliding again is infinity small, for there are many other possible collisions."
Signature Image
Latest wall ::A Void in my Heart::

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 67 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.