Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Funimation changing songs and titles - Minitokyo

Funimation changing songs and titles

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

ShinjiIkari32

Bishoujo Aficionado

Funimation has been doing this for a while. Rewriting the OP/ED themes of anime they distribute, to appeal more to an english audience. The best examples would be all of the music for Dragon Ball Z/GT. Also, Detective Conan had its music rewritten, and it's name to "Case Closed". How do you guys feel about this?
1. I could care less, as long as they leave the actual episodes alone.
2. I would preffer to hear the japanese audio tracks and original titles..
3. Rape! Pillage! Plunder! BURN, FUNIMATION, BURRRRN!

Take a quote from any anime and replace a word vital to the sentence with "pants", for instant comedy..
"I am the answer to all who cry out for pants!"-Goku, DBZ
"Those pants were more than just armor! Unit 01 has broken free of the pants that bend it to our will!"-Ritsuko, Evangelion
"Unfamiliar pants.."-Shinji, Evangelion

Funimation is a demon that seeks to destroy what we all love!!!!

biriwilg

Retired Moderator

biriwilg

+indie mod+

Especially as they liscensed Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm currently waiting for 'Disabled Alchemist Ed' to appear on television here. >_<

Nuriko

Retired Moderator

Nuriko

Hentai Slayer

Physically Challenged! How dare you call him disabled! XD I'm suing! XD XD XD

Quote by biriwilg3

Especially as they liscensed Fullmetal Alchemist. I&#39;m currently waiting for &#39;Disabled Alchemist Ed&#39; to appear on television here. >_<

Signature Image
Congrats to Crash-kun :: sarak :: Evanrued for winning the Nuriko Prize!

Kev

Retired Moderator

Hannibal

americans are sooo wrong :P

(im in aussie, doesnt matter to me)

when i watched the kaleido star dvd (yes, my 1st ever anime dvd), i find the dubs are horrible, their voice looks soo childish or just too old, it doesnt even match the voice dubbed in jap, how horrible x_x

ShinjiIkari32

Bishoujo Aficionado

Some are dubbed better than others. Some are just downright horrible.
ADV typically does an okay job with dubbing, though sometimes they can suck too. Evangelion was dubbed quite well, I thought. Anyways, back to Funimation.

I'd heard of the atrocities they were committing with FMA, but I left that out because it hasn't been released domestically quite yet. (as far as I know)

Take a quote from any anime and replace a word vital to the sentence with "pants", for instant comedy..
"Those pants were more than just armor! Unit 01 has broken free of the pants that bend it to our will!"-Ritsuko, Evangelion

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

dead 12/28/08

I don't really care because most companies release unedited subbed versions of their shows. I don't know why people say bad things about dubs if all they have to do is just switch the audio tracks.

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by biriwilg3

Especially as they liscensed Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm currently waiting for 'Disabled Alchemist Ed' to appear on television here. >_<

Oh god...hahahahaha...^__^
That would be a 3 for me too...If anime fans like anime as it is in japan, why do they change it to fit the americans better??? I want the stuff the japanese people like! (And don't they save money by keeping the original songs anyway? They just want an excuse to bastardize a good title!) ^^;

...I just found out that they changed the manga title of ikkitousen to "battle vixens"...WTF?

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Cara

2 - I would love to hear the original songs..... infact it annoys me to hear the English ones.....

Signature

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

Quote by biriwilg3

touche!

I chose 3 too, since FMA is most likely going to be destroyed. XD

Signature

All Hail Justin: yergheigh
xXLordxOsirisXx: maybe *___*

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

Actually, Detective Conan was changed to Case Closed for legal issues... Conan O'Brien is one reason I know, but there was another show closely to it as well. Which makes sense, you don't want to get sued over a petty thing as a title.

And Al sounds Texan in the FMA dub, there have been previews. WTF? Texan?!! >.< Anyway... I go for #1, but I like #2 as well. XD

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

Signature

Its nice to hear the original music, but they probably realized that it would make them more money to change the songs =P. Personally i hate anything along the lines of alter/change

There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only necessity...

3 is my pick

damn you Funimation! LEAVE THE ANIME ALONE!

at least with DVD we can choose the REAL audio track...

(they've edited at least 1/2 hour out of FMA already...51 eps licensed, 52 eps original series)

Three things are certain in this life...
Death, Taxes, and Horrible Dubs!

Velg

Velg

The Jackal

I saw a trailer for Funimations version of FMA a few weeks back and Al had a southern accent. The trailer is no longer there however.

Signature Image

AH-Zeruel

AH-Zeruel

Bishounen Angel Hunter

Burn Burn like hell
i live in mexico so i dont eve know FMA, but i dont like any dubbing
stinks

Go Then- Said the Angel -And Leave This World to Those Who Trully Care-
Signature

..::Hispanime::.. El acento que faltaba .. . .. ..::Wallpaper Critique Club::.. Start of a New Journey
..::Ecchi-Club::.. Proud member :')

ShinjiIkari32

Bishoujo Aficionado

It would make sense that Al sounds like a Texan. Funimation HQ is based in Texas, I believe...or is that ADV..I dont remember.

Funi has been releasing uncut, subbbed versions of their titles for quite a while, but people won't stop bashing them for their early DBZ releases years ago :\

They have been changing in the last year and has become quite a respectable company, they are beginning to get on level with the other big ones (ADV, Geneon, Bandai) although they aren't quite there yet in all aspects.

Apart from the DB and other direct from tv shows (which they often release uncut versions of nowadays too) name some dvd release in the last year that they have really butchered.
Case Closed title change discounted as they had to do it because of name rights already stated in this thread.

I compared my KG dvds with the fansubs as I was afraid of them mistranslating or changing things but the minor differences there were was so small they would most likely due to different translators, both fansubs and dvds had the same meaning and was very close to the japanase spoken. The dub is decent too, not really much changed there either.
This is the case with all the people I've spoken with who own their dvds, they seem to do a decent job today.

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Quote by ShinjiIkari32It would make sense that Al sounds like a Texan. Funimation HQ is based in Texas, I believe...or is that ADV..I dont remember.

ADV is based in Texas. Dunno about Funimation's HQ.
Personally, if its uncut on DVD I don't care. Then I can hear both languages and choose a favorite. It's not like I get cable and thus can watch lots of anime (usually dubbed) on tv anyhow.

Ari-chan

Ari-chan

The Odd One

I could really care less about the voices as long as they keep the show uncut.

Signature

Palani

Palani

Quote by biriwilg3

Especially as they liscensed Fullmetal Alchemist. I&#39;m currently waiting for &#39;Disabled Alchemist Ed&#39; to appear on television here. >_<

I concurr with him. The should leave perfectly good series alone. I can't imagine how the new op and theme will turn out. Imagine the Winry ending sung by some weak american artist.

Error 667: Hell Not Found

Laitainae

Laitainae

Nebby

Oh My God! No! They got FMA? I've never seen it but I understand the large fanbase it has (LARGE is an understatement) =3 and I love the 2nd OP song (Ready Steady can't hold me back!)...xx; oh well, atleast unlike 4kids they actually release DVDs with the japanese language track

;_; my RPG was canceled due to lack of interest and participation. It lives on in story form, though! You can read chapters 1 &2 at http://johnnyistdeyummy.deviantart.com

Personally I like Funi and love that they write English versions of the Op/eD to the anime they get.

Good thing is the singers of Ready Steady Go are already going to release a English version on there debut American album.

(p.s I hope Funi pick up Naruto)

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

Most often I prefer the origional Japanese song, but it really doesn't matter to me because the dvds i buy usually have both, so I can just switch. Just so the episodes are left alone is whats really important to me.

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.