Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Best modern composer? - Minitokyo

Best modern composer?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

Howard Shore (eg. Lord of the Rings score)
John Williams (eg. Star Wars score)
Hans Zimmer (eg. The Last Samurai score)
Nobuo Uematsu (eg. Final Fantasy score)

Add in whoever you think deserves a mention :) Personally I think the most impressive in the past few years has been Howard Shore for Lord of the Rings while the most diverse composer is probably Nobuo Uematsu for doing notably all those Final Fantasy scores, and other games of course (don't know what they are).
John Williams has done so many that I can't be bothered to name them all, I'm sure Star Wars probably rings a bell with his name for most people. Williams' music is probably the most "classic" out of all of them because of how themes such as Star Wars have entrenched into our minds :)
Hans Zimmer in The Last Samurai was quite good too :) It definitely fit the Japanese atmosphere very well ^^

So who is your favourite? Feel free to mention others. I always like listening to soundtracks.

Homer: Pffft English. Who needs that? I'm never going to England.
Mr Largo: Lisa, do you find something funny about the word "tromboner"?
-------------------------------------

//My Anime Collection

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Cara

Wow.... I definately love Howard Shore and John Williams - they would be my favourites.

I especially love what John Williams has been doing with the Harry Potter series music. It has a different sound from pretty much anything I have heard - the music for the third was awesome.....

Signature

Cloudnine

neko mimi modo~!

yoko kanno~~ So much style it's simply amazing =3

DeviousOni

DeviousOni

[D E V i O U S]

Quote by cloud_nineyoko kanno~~ So much style it&#39;s simply amazing =3

I too must say how much I respect Yoko Kanno's work. She's awesome!

I'd also like to add to the list of composers already mentioned Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor), Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger), Joe Hisaishi (Princess Mononoke), and Haijime Mizoguchi (Grandia, Jin Roh). Awesome, awesome, awesome people. :D

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

I don't know many Japanese ones besides Nobuo Uematsu ^^"
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban's music was done quite well I thought XD Saw it last night...

//My Anime Collection

Cheeky-Peach

Cheeky-Peach

Teh Kitteh Girl

[smacks Tom across the head with a bread roll]
.. You must gettttt ... Um... YOKO KANNO! ^_^ she's got a really diverse and strong range (trust me). Kanno is definately one of my favourite.
Yasunori Mitsuda is definately good. I've got the CC OST and it is mightly fine!

Who did Wild Arms II : 2nd Ignition OST, that was pretty good.

>_> I was here about a year ago.

And then I left.
My bad...
But don't worry! I'm back now. ^o^

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Jean Michel Jarre
Kanno
Yuki Kajiura ..

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

Ahhh... just listened to some more Yoko Kanno ^_^ 'tis good...

//My Anime Collection

Yoko Kanno is the best IMO I mean real folk blues was just to cool!!!

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

I think the best are

Howard Shore (eg. Lord of the Rings score)
John Williams (eg. Star Wars,et,raiders of the lost arc score)
Nobuo Uematsu (eg. Final Fantasy score)
james horner(eg. Titanic)

In other words almost the same as tele-fragd , but how could he forget James Horner.? He's one of the best compsers out there, with the exception of john williams.

Signature

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

hans zimmer (last samurai)
yoko kanno (escaflowne, etc)
howard shore (lotr)
yuki kajiura (.hack//sign)

Massive OST and experimental music freak here! Most here have already mentioned a lot of my personal faves. Kanno is definitely a godsend (met her at AX 99 and she was amazingly sweet as well) and we should definitely look forward to more in the future.Her recent work with GITS:SAC is among her very best.

As for recent film,..definitely Howard Shore acheived the near-impossible with the LOTR trilogy.Beautiful doesn't describe it. But as for others I truly dig Eliot Goldenthal, Kenji Kawai, Chu Ishikawa, Takefumi Haketa,

I also love Masamichi Amano! The guy is remarkable! From Urotsukidoji to Giant Robo, to Princess Nine and then to the Battle Royale films! Big and emotional..just the way I like it.

My fave scores by others mentioned-Horner (ALIENS), Zimmer (oddly,Backdraft..Iron Chef anyone?), Williams (Raiders score..definitely)

"The world is a very small place,but for those who know it, it is very large. And the world...when it is viewed by those who know is far larger than just one world can hold!"

Yuko - xxxHOLIC

Fulgore

Fulgore

...insert title [here]...

Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and Howard Shore are my favs.

Signature

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

Favourite songs from each would just have to be:

Howard Shore - The Bridge of Khazad-Dum (Awesome song - especially if you have a subwoofer)
Hans Zimmer - Spectres In The Fog (Excellent transition from slow to fast)
John Williams - Imperial March (Absolute classic! No explanation needed)
Nobuo Uematsu - The Landing (Ohhh soooo coool ^_^)

I like Yoko Kanno but I haven't found a song that really stands out yet, anyone name some great ones? :) "Cats on Mars" makes me giggle XD

//My Anime Collection

Cloudnine

neko mimi modo~!

Quote by tele-fragdI like Yoko Kanno but I haven&#39;t found a song that really stands out yet, anyone name some great ones? :) &quot;Cats on Mars&quot; makes me giggle XD

You haven't heard Yoko Kanno until you hear "Hemisphere" the OP to the anime series Rahxephon. One of her best pieces with Maaya Sakamoto, the beauty of her voice is just incomparable ^^

Hmm...A most standout Kanno piece would have to include "voices" from Macross Plus. When I first heard this in 95...it was like a door opened. A close second for me would have to be "Arcadia" which was used in Escaflowne. Absolutely marvelous emotion for the ears.

Tis true...Hemisphere is a great piece as well.

At least for me, Kanno has about a good 10-15 standouts and its hard to pick just one. ^ ^;

Fave songs?

Howard Shore -The Black Gate Opens (holy crap this is huge and as climactic as it can ever get!)

Eliot Goldenthal - Adagio (from ALIEN 3...intensely sad and grim mood that personifies this film to a tee.)

Takefumi Haketa - His whole score for the japanese horror film, "Kairo" (unrelentingly creepy and oddly emotional...one of the best horror scores in ages.)

James Horner - Futile Escape from ALIENS (Few scores get the blood flowing like this one..its an orchestra gone berzerk!)

Masamichi Amano - Kawada's Theme from Battle Royale (One wouldn't think that such a brutal film would have such a heartfelt song...simply amazing)

There are definitely more. Perhaps later.. ^ ^

"The world is a very small place,but for those who know it, it is very large. And the world...when it is viewed by those who know is far larger than just one world can hold!"

Yuko - xxxHOLIC

Cheeky-Peach

Cheeky-Peach

Teh Kitteh Girl

Quote by MayugeRoboHmm...A most standout Kanno piece would have to include "voices" from Macross Plus. When I first heard this in 95...it was like a door opened. A close second for me would have to be "Arcadia" which was used in Escaflowne. Absolutely marvelous emotion for the ears.

Voices from Macross Plus is definately good. Wasn't that song reused in Angel Sanctuary? i'm not sure... Still, Angel Sanctuary - that score is brilliant too. I think Kanno is at her best when she works with Sakakmoto. Sakamoto has a really stunning voice, and has also worked with her in Wolf's Rain, I believe. Wolf's Rain is definately a good score - one of my favourite songs being Gravity. of course, who could forget Kanno's work in Cowboy Bebop, Record of the Loddos War, Wolf's Rain, Angel Sanctuary (I think) Rahxenphon and what not!
I also really like her piece, Eden. That is really nice. ^_^

Whoever did the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon score was also legendary. XD

And then I left.
My bad...

Ahh..Tan Dun did that CTHD score.Beautiful. If you liked that, I highly recommend his score for the amazing epic HERO. In many ways that film and the music surpasses CTHD.

Tis true.When I first heard Gravity, I got seriously teary eyed. ^ ^;

Yuko - xxxHOLIC

Noir666

Noir666

Headbanger Extrodinaire

Anything from Michael Kamen.

Bleach filler > Naruto filler

DeviousOni

DeviousOni

[D E V i O U S]

I have a few Kanno rarities I should post on Anime Paper. Ever heard "The Ship" or "Atomic Bird" from her Song to Fly album? Or the playful clarinet of "Puff the Pussy Puzzle" from Turn-A Gundam? Or the soulful voice of UA against Kanno's synth background in "Senkou" from Mizu no Ona?

She's so awesome!!

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

must be just me.. can't seem to find many

//My Anime Collection

Limality

Limality

Sleeping Beast

hmm im not sure but i guess you forgot

Harry Gregson Williams - The Rock, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

his stuff is really great...

Cheeky-Peach

Cheeky-Peach

Teh Kitteh Girl

Quote by MayugeRoboAhh..Tan Dun did that CTHD score.Beautiful. If you liked that, I highly recommend his score for the amazing epic HERO. In many ways that film and the music surpasses CTHD.

Tis true.When I first heard Gravity, I got seriously teary eyed. ^ ^;

Yes, the score to Hero absolutely rocked. I'm actually hunting down sheet music for Gravity. Either that or I'll have to do it manually, that is... Ear + piano with the song OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN! Which means, piano must get tuned!

And yes, that does mean the inevitable... I will most likely do a recording once I get the sheet music, and shtuff. And, yes (SHOCK HORROR!) that means a recording with my shonky microphone of me singing and playing the piano. Oh, I do tell you this, you should pray, oh yes PRAY VERY HARD that I cannot find the sheet music. XD

Oh, but if I do, do a recording I'll probably upload and let you all become deaf due to my horrid voice. XD
--
I was actually going to buy her 'Song to Fly' album, but... It was really expensive! Over $30 in Singapore! Ouch! I wish I did buy it though, instead of the Wild Arms 2 : 2nd Ignition OST.

And then I left.
My bad...

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

I'll try and help ^_^

//My Anime Collection

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.