Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Apple is going x86 - Minitokyo

Apple is going x86

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Looks like its official. Apple will start producing x86 based Comps by this time next year, and switching fully to Intel x86 by the end of 2007.

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,102293,00.html

http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+IBM%2C+switch+to+Intel+chips/2100-1006_3-5731398.html?part=rss&tag=5731398&subj=news

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050607/tc_usatoday/applejoinsintelinseismicshift;_ylt=AtOqFvhHQqOKQUI5owzrvMQjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050607/ap_on_hi_te/apple_chips;_ylt=AjpHwrDRQyXc.m3PZ4TUTD8jtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

End of an era, it seems.

(For the record, I'm a PC user, not a Mac user.)

Discuss?

Signature Image

As a longtime Mac-using Intel-hater, I feel betrayed. Iguess it's good for compatability, and maybe it'll help with marketing, but damn. Why couldn't it have been AMD? -_-

Limality

Limality

Sleeping Beast

to apple users :>

where is your god now? XD

Katzbalger

Katzbalger

Managment Fun

Seems like Apple's doing them selves a favour now. I dont care for what chipset I use, as long as it does what I want it to do. Wait, you know that already...

Here is the Apple corp press release on the matter. FYI.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

Signature Image

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

Mac users got owned. This isn't a good move for Apple... a lot of mac owners are going to be pissed, because their machines are suddenly going to loose support, and are outdated, all of which cost A LOT of money. I know people who just ordered some Powerbooks and are pissed because of this. Someone the other day just ordered a brand new G5, learned about this, and shat himself.

What's worse is it's still going to be Mac-Only Hardware... no "build your own mac" like I always wanted to do. -_-

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

I still think AMD woulda been better than Intel if the x86 was necessary.

-Rainman

I dont think it will be too bad. I'll be honest. I'm not thrilled or incredibly happy about the deal but apple will still have Tiger and a secure OS. Even if they do use Intel Chips.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

It was bound to happen, though the Athlon64 or Opteron would have been a way better choice.

I am invincible!

Quote by RitalinMac users got owned. This isn't a good move for Apple... a lot of mac
owners are going to be pissed, because their machines are suddenly
going to loose support, and are outdated, all of which cost A LOT of
money. I know people who just ordered some Powerbooks and are pissed
because of this. Someone the other day just ordered a brand new G5,
learned about this, and shat himself.
What's worse is it's still going to be Mac-Only Hardware... no "build
your own mac" like I always wanted to do. -_-

Why not?

Once the OS / BIOS is hacked, its fairly smooth sailing. Driver support is an issue, but considering how much the hardware companies would love to cash in on mac upgrades, I bet existing pc hardware would be compatible. Or not, we'll see.

Bottom line is, I have very little doubt that within a week of OS-X x86 being released, it will be cracked for Non-Mac machines.

Signature Image

i'm never use apple before but ithink AMD enough

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

geee, apple decides to give in finally, never really used a mac, dont really know how fast the G5 processors now, but guess whos the god of PC chips now>??????, intel

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

LOL I've never owned a mac. ...And I'm quite happy about it. :D On a side note, Gentoo Linux runs on "normal" PC hardware, and is free... ...And so is an office suite, "open office", and a powerful image editor, "gimp". ...You can get both of these packages for Windows too. :D ...Anyhow, I never saw the point in promoting a different architecture because it is different, non-standard, and only a little better in some areas. :D (Clearly not a mac fan...)

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

I'm not sure if Apple is really giving in or making any particular bad move. While the G5 is a kickin' processor, Apple really isn't getting much more out of their deal with IBM. Two or three years ago (at wwdc), Steve Jobs promied 3 ghz PowerMacs. At present, they haven't been able to deliver. It's not necessarily Apple's fault for this. They work with IBM to develop CPUs. Apple has been pressuring IBM to develop faster chips.

Now look at it from IBM's perspective. A few years ago, Apple provided a decent chunk of revenue. They needed processors for their computers. IBM was also the only company to provide to them. The only other serious markets IBM had a hold in were servers, business machines, and a few other things. Revenue from Apple was probably worth the development costs.

Fast forward to the the recent past. Look at what projects IBM has lined up: Xbox360, partnership with Toshiba and Sony for the Cell processor (powerhouse behind the ps3). Suddenly, Apple's chunk of the pie got significantly smaller. There simply aren't enough resources to go around. From a financial standpoint, I'm sure Microsoft and Sony will bring in far more revenue than Apple. It has also been said that IBM wants to concentrate on the server market more.

Where does this leave Apple? Pissed off. Jobs has been threatening to leave IBM for awhile now. It's finally happened. I'm sure the folks over at IBM opened up a bottle of sparkling wine and had a party. I've heard that Steve Jobs is a pretty hard person to work with. If I were a genious, I'd probably be hard to work with too.

So it all comes down to this: Intel is a (mostly) dedicated chip developer. They saw an opportunity to gain marketshare. They took it.

The thing I'm worried about is what this means for Apple's hardware. If it's a standard P4 with all the trimmings, there won't be much incentive to buy an Apple machine. Similarly, what's to prevent people from installing Windows on a Mac? Recent rumors already indicate a "leaked" version of 10.4.1 for x86 floating around on the internet. It runs at full speed and comes with iLife. All other OSX apps run in translation via Rosetta, so they're not as fast as a native version.

I'd love to get my hands on it and play with it.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Quote by kawaiiguyI'm not sure if Apple is really giving in or making any particular bad
move. While the G5 is a kickin' processor, Apple really isn't getting
much more out of their deal with IBM. Two or three years ago (at wwdc),
Steve Jobs promied 3 ghz PowerMacs. At present, they haven't been able
to deliver. It's not necessarily Apple's fault for this. They work with
IBM to develop CPUs. Apple has been pressuring IBM to develop faster
chips.
Now look at it from IBM's perspective. A few years ago, Apple provided
a decent chunk of revenue. They needed processors for their computers.
IBM was also the only company to provide to them. The only other
serious markets IBM had a hold in were servers, business machines, and
a few other things. Revenue from Apple was probably worth the
development costs.
Fast forward to the the recent past. Look at what projects IBM has
lined up: Xbox360, partnership with Toshiba and Sony for the Cell
processor (powerhouse behind the ps3). Suddenly, Apple's chunk of the
pie got significantly smaller. There simply aren't enough resources to
go around. From a financial standpoint, I'm sure Microsoft and Sony
will bring in far more revenue than Apple. It has also been said that
IBM wants to concentrate on the server market more.
Where does this leave Apple? Pissed off. Jobs has been threatening to
leave IBM for awhile now. It's finally happened. I'm sure the folks
over at IBM opened up a bottle of sparkling wine and had a party. I've
heard that Steve Jobs is a pretty hard person to work with. If I were a
genious, I'd probably be hard to work with too.
So it all comes down to this: Intel is a (mostly) dedicated chip
developer. They saw an opportunity to gain marketshare. They took it.
The thing I'm worried about is what this means for Apple's hardware. If
it's a standard P4 with all the trimmings, there won't be much
incentive to buy an Apple machine. Similarly, what's to prevent people
from installing Windows on a Mac? Recent rumors already indicate a
"leaked" version of 10.4.1 for x86 floating around on the internet. It
runs at full speed and comes with iLife. All other OSX apps run in
translation via Rosetta, so they're not as fast as a native version.
I'd love to get my hands on it and play with it.

Apple has stated that they do not plan to prevent Microsoft from releasing a Windows for Mac. So Microsoft can, if they wish to.

Also, Even though Mac OS X will not be available for Non-Mac based x86 machines, That doesnt mean it wont be cracked. In fact, I have every faith in the fact it will be cracked within a week of release.

So I hope to have a Windows XP Pro / Mac OS X dual-boot on my homebuilt AMD system when it comes. n_n V

Signature Image

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by TheRavenIsUnSkill(sic)...Even though Mac OS X will not be available for Non-Mac based x86
machines, That doesnt mean it wont be cracked. In fact, I have every
faith in the fact it will be cracked within a week of release. So I
hope to have a Windows XP Pro / Mac OS X dual-boot on my homebuilt AMD
system when it comes. n_n V

Go Raven!!! LOL I don't doubt it will come to that eventually. :D

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

I already knew this were come to happen. Even when it was only a rumor, there are already going on internet, Mac OS trial basis for X86 plattforms. I know it because I got it.
I see it as the process to make a global and unique plattform, wich may forecast more powerful systems, based on the neccesary processor or components.
This should be better tha worse.

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by SebastianvonKaneI already knew this were come to happen. Even when it was only a rumor,
there are already going on internet, Mac OS trial basis for X86
plattforms. I know it because I got it.
I see it as the process to make a global and unique plattform, wich may
forecast more powerful systems, based on the neccesary processor or
components.
This should be better tha worse.

I'd heard about the x86 version of OSX awhile ago. It was supposed to be an in-house only thing. Where'd you land your copy? ;) I'd love to give 10.4.1 a go on my PC (probably VPC).

I've heard other rumors that the new chips will be based on the upcoming Pentium D, which features some sort of a DRM checker. Perhaps the OS will initially be locked down by this. In terms of the casual market, it'll keep OSX on the Apple boxes. But from the underground perspective, it's just another hurdle to go over. In my opinion, it's the only way to keep Apple from shooting itself in the foot as a hardware provider.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

ex-paranoia

pWn3d by Expy

Looks like they've finally come to their senses :)

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.