Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Which anime do you consider a must for any fan? - Minitokyo

Which anime do you consider a must for any fan?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 54 total items

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

I recently thought of this (during down time) while talking to a friend who's relatively new to the anime scene. He hasn't seen that many titles yet, but is almost irrasionaly enthusiastic about those that he's already seen. Considers them the best. Without seeing at least Evangelion or Akira (amongst others), titles which I consider to be among the ultimate classics, I don't consider him that knowledgable on anime. Enthusiastic yes, but not that into it yet.

When I mean classics, I mean anime titles that are to the art form known as anime comparable to any Shakespearean classic in English literature. Now English lit will take you seriously if you don't at least know some Shakespeare. Therefore I wouldn't even include Golden Boy, as funny and wacky as it is, but not that much a classic as FLCL for example. Try do discern between something funny, wacky, soppy and something GOOD, or at least a must or memorable title.

Would like to see members' comments on their own classics to fill up on my own checklist. But firts my own:

Evangelion (especially the movies)
FLCL
Akira
Any Gibli, 'specially Mononoke Hime and Spirited Away
At least one of any Macross (my fav was Zero) and Gundam
Hellsing
Vampire Hunter D (both movies, but at least Blood Lust)

For some reason I dried up...uhm, will get back when Bleach and Naruto finishes (another DBZ series). Therefore please post your nominations.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

uychua

uychua

give crap-get crap

naruto- entertaining, a bit of excitiment during battle episode and wacky scenes

smile. :D :D

kumiho

kumiho

every artist was 1st an amateur

um..
tsubasa resevoir chrnonicle
full metal alchemist
(for yaoi fans)
Sukisho (Sukina Mono wa Suki Dakara Shouganai)
Tactics
i don't really know bout Yami no Matsuei...but i'm lookin for its screenshot n DVD :D

Signature
"pictures are beautiful, they can entrap beauty forever"

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Ah! My Goddess and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Signature Image

NeoStryder

NeoStryder

Neo Stryder

When you talk about classics, I think in animes that are the base for other series, like Snow White was for the animated movies, but of course we're talking about animes.

In the list of classics I'll add all the works of Hayao Miyazaki, all their works, Conan the Future Boy, Naussica, Kiki's Deliver Service, How'ls Moving Castle, and the others I don't rememb theii names or I've never seen, all of they are masterpieces of the anime.

Nobody in this world in invincible, unless God's hand be with he/she

Lenne

Lenne

Warrior Girl

Well,it dependes on the mood you're looking for in an anime.If you want something more interesting i would suggest ''Steam Boy''.It's a good anime and the maker is the same one who made Akira.I would also suggest Wolf's Rain,Chrno Crusade & DNAngel.,Azumanga Daioh is good for laugh,and
Sousei No Aquarion has good effects but i'm not sure if the story is excellent(i've just started to watch it).Like i said it all dependes in what are you looking for in an anime & what kind of anime would your friend preffer. ;)

Signature
My latest work:Best Friends

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Quote by LenneIf you want something more interesting i would suggest ''Steam Boy''.It's a good anime and the maker is the same one who made Akira.I would also suggest Wolf's Rain,Chrno Crusade & DNAngel.,Azumanga Daioh is good for laugh,and
Sousei No Aquarion has good effects but i'm not sure if the story is excellent

Ah, I forgot about Steamboy (maybe not the best, but important if you consider the out of theis world visuals.

How could I have forgotten the Ghost in the Shell series???? Porpably thee most momorable classics!! At least the firts movie, Innocence a definite bonus, and any series or OVA afterwards.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

Ryu-oh

Critical Critic

Hm. Well I've used "Twelve Kingdoms" to get multiple people into anime (including my parents of all people :D), so I would place that within my list despite it being fairly comparitively "unknown". It also blows away anything else in the "normal middle/high school student is brought to fantasy world by fate/destiny/accident and becomes important warrior/ruler/priestess" genre :D

After that, I usually go with some Miyazaki to showcase the epic story, something Gonzo to show off where CG animation/colouring is going.

But for specifics... I'd actually say Mononoke Hime for Studio Ghibli. (I like Nausicaa, but I've read the manga, so I'm invariably disappointed with Kushana in the movie version)

Signature
Stare at the sun, what do you see?

ondskapt

ondskapt

anime/horror freak

Bleach and Groove Adventure Rave

Leesil

Leesil

Tenshi no Tasogare

Ah! Megami-sama (oh my goddess) and Trigun are definately classics. I highly recommend seeing them.

Within the darkness, the angel dreams;
Within the light, the devil contemplates.
'Tween the two, my soul does swing.

gundam wing and gundam seed and seed destiny they are a must see for me if they are into stuff with spirits and swords go for shaman king

Signature

why put the gun to your head if youre already dead?

For me its evangelion. However i still remember yattaman from old days it was funny really funny but i was like 3 years there.

I'm the one and only Xaturas

For me its evangelion. However i still remember yattaman from old days it was funny really funny but i was like 3 years there.

I'm the one and only Xaturas

Love Hina
Goldenboy
Hellsing
Rurouni Kenshin

theres a few more but i can't think of them.

Signature Image

ThaEagle

ThaEagle

Mahoromatic for the people

Depends on what you like, but either Onegai Teacher or some of studio Ghiblis excellent works, for example Grave of the Fireflies. I guess Evangelion is a "classic" to but there are better series.

Signature

Mindfullcat

Mindfullcat

You don't get owt for nowt

for me its..
*Hellsing
*Ah! Megami-sama
*love Hina
*Trigun
*Full Metal Alchemist
*Azumanga Daioh

Howl's moving castle,blood the last vampire,animatrix,

I would suggest naruto And MAI HIME :) :) :)

Are we talking about exposing new people to "classics" or classics that spawned anime as we know it today.

Battleship Yammoto = classic I cant really get into this, cause of its style, my friend who likes old things loves this series and has begged me to watch it....

Urusei Yatsura = Classic that helped mold what we see today. Want to debate this? Think of the earliest "Harem" anime, that spawned an entire genera...

Think about how many great series followed the example of Urusei Yatsura but just adding more characters than its predicesors.
You have Ranma½, Tenchi, Love Hina, and many many more. Now days there are even more anime that have more harem action... like that maid one where the boy inherits a house of 2000 maids who want to do nothing but "serve him"

Tenchi = Modern Classic imho.... it spawned a more modern look to anime, its much cleaner and artistic compaired to earlier anime of the time.

However if you were to "introduce" anime to people, i think you really have to be careful and not show them something that is too.... deep... wierd, or disturbing

I can't tell you the number of people i have met at an anime con (or that i have converted into being anime fans) and their first dreadful experience with anime was Akira.... they hated it because it was disturbing and wierd, with a giant bloated explodeing baby. Gross!!! There are a few people that LOVE akira the first time they see it... but these people are few and far between.

i say the best way to convert someone to anime, is show them a Good Solid anime, one with likeable characters, No bizzar distorted gross things...

Sofar i have successfully converted over a dozen friends to anime, by showing them

Last Exile,
Tenchi
Nadesco
Cowboy Bebop
Noir
Love Hina
Pilot candidate
Bleach
Naruto
Hana Yuri Dango (for romantics)

Feature films:
Ghost in the shell
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Wind Named Amnesia
Castle in the Sky

Anyway, there is something for everthing.... please know the person your exposing to anime, don't just assume that everyone will love akira :D (I HATE Akira)

Champloo21

Peanut Butter Cups ROCK!

well, I haven't seen very many, but from what I have seen:
Evangelion
Rurouni Kenshin
InuYasha
Ghost In Shell (stand alone complex is my favorite right now)
FullMetal Alchemist

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

SierriusBlack

SierriusBlack

Atheistic Debater

Movies:

Anything by Miyazaki
Ghost in the Shell
Akira

Series/OAVs:

Cowboy Bebop
Detective Conan
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-Albert Einstein

ruroni kenshin
fullmetal alchemist
maybe inuyasha..........

Trigun
Nadesico
Gudnam 0079/0080
GTO
Macross

Trigun
Nadesico
Gudnam 0079/0080
GTO
Macross

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 54 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.