Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Linguistic enquiry - Minitokyo

Linguistic enquiry

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Hello.
An idea struck me, why not to ask the MT community.
Im gonna explain, just a sec.
You see im particularly interested in learning foreign languages including english. and when i come across some things which are new to me its nice when there's a person to ask 'what's this phrase/expression and how would i use it' etc. currently i dont have a person address with the question
i'd be especially glad to see a comment of a native speaker but all suggestions are very welcome.
so you know there are words 'defense' and 'offense' which are kind of french and which are spelled with 'c' in BrE. normally i'd out stress on the last syllable but in the game called Quake 3 bots or players would use phrases like 'im on offense' 'im on diffense' with the stress on the first syllable. So is it a feature, does it sound ok. and is it used only for fun or it has an intention to pay particular attention to the word. its not quite clear. i think the same question refers to rikku's phrase (in the english version) when she says 'its a covert operation' with covert pronounced with different stress.
I hope the question is clear.
Thanks in advance for looking at the thread

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

double of Linguistic enquiry

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.