Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 music contest planning.... - Minitokyo

music contest planning....

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

GROUP made:
http://the-planning-board.minitokyo.net/

go here from now on, the full details on everything you need to know should be posted shortly....

current participants?
artgeek12
boogybro
candy-chan
crapmonster
cyd84
devildude
flyindreams
gid
Jason9811
nageni
smilebit
wootazn
xRedPhoenix

if anyone is missing, post that your in and also if you mentioned and dont want to be in it, also post that as well.

FINAL ALBUMS:
Oh Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

these were the only ones that were mentioned at least twice so far from my knowledge so thats why i went with em.

ill try to make a group or something to make all this crap easier and send out a pm later with the info for this first round. but heres the info so far right now. you can do either album and ill get to upping both of them for those that dont have access to them. and just a note, this hasnt officially started yet but i tohught id give the info so far thats been decided on.

copy and pasted from my GB posts:
the recent DERKA round with the use of the song i thought was a really interesting idea. and it sorta got me tihnking what if a whole contest or such was done around a similar theme? so i thought it would be kinda cool to do a contest based on songs, short films, etc... where the participants would listen to / watch a chosen sample and wall their reaction to it.
i thought of several ways this can be done. in a competition manner, where people compete in rounds each with a universal song or whatnot that everyone walls and is judged. Or, we could do something like WAR and do it in groups. This way, we could make it more interesting by doing something like every group does a whole album, with each particpating member doing a track. im not sure how it would exactly work but its just an idea. i just thought it would be cool to do as i occasionally do walls off of songs i like and would love to see it done on more of a large scale.
so question is...anyone interested in possibly doing this?

and in response, i like artgeek's idea of doing genres possibly and breaking it down that way. it could work better since a specific song can be somewhat restricting. anyways, if anyone has any other ideas/brainstorming feel free to post em here....

flyindreams

flyindreams

[Ninja] Lurker

:)

...@_@ maybe it'll be helpful to see how many ppl's interested in tentatively joining up right now, so you can figure out the structure a little more?

- nageni-kun's one XD

hah yea that too i guess...so anyone interested in either participating or helping out with planning and such please post....

Guess I'll post here too...are we thinking music in English?
We'll have to think about genre of music as well

merged: 04-09-2006 ~ 08:28am
Oh and I'd be interested in helping to organize and/or participate

hmm im thinking the genre thing is a good idea, so i guess anything works doesnt have to be just english.

boogybro

boogybro

Doing the happy dance.

As always, I'm interested. But there are certain things that are holding me back from wanting to join in on this (IF it actaully happens).

1. Like cyd84 said; Genres. I know there are alot of J-rock/pop fans here, so if they're included in the comp, I'll probably pull out straight away. Because I'm not a fan, and I couldn't understand them if I was.

2. Getting the whole thing organized. As long as it wouldn't keep getting delayed due to a few certain members not submitting their entries on time (like in the past), then I would be more then happy to take part in this.

Signature

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

im interested too. Allthough I agree with boogybro, if its jpop/rock only I can't be in. I think the idea of having different genres of music would be a good thing. And let's not think only of pop-rock. Why not be original and have categories like reggae, opera, jazz and techno? wouldnt that be interesting

yea my plan was to do some genres people arent familiar with, but the thing with a genre like jrock is...well its not a genre of music. since jrock can consist of anything from punk, indie, lofi, to prog. and also, if people drop out just cause they dont like one genre tihs is never gonna work. im kinda doing it to allow people to explore styles they arent familiar with and heck, its one tihng i myself hope to get out of it. anyways, boogy dont wrry about late submitters, cause i wont wait for em. if they cant submit on time, then tough luck.
as for how to do it, im tihnking of doing genres for each round, and creating sort of a pool of songs people can choose from. but if people want, i can do sometihng like, create a pool and also allow people to choose a song they want to do from that genre. in this case, the pool is really for the ones that arent familiar with the genre.
the other idea which i like, but i dont think others will is, instead of doing genres, do albums. for ex. one round could be: people wall tracks off of Bob Marley "Legend".

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

This sounds interesting, but seeing the potential pool of applicants who are interested I fear mine would simply be too n00blish to be considered.
However, having a contest based on different genres of music would be nice, since I am also an appreciater of music, I think it be very cool to try something like that.
I would like to ask tho, would the wallpapers be more leaning towards the general wallpapers part?
I can hardly see much of music inspired anime characters (aside from a few...)
As for planning, how many people do you need? On assumption wise.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

ok i tihnk im gonna finalize this and just get it going.

first of all, im tihnking of converting it from a contest to a project.
no judging, no competion. purely for the fun of doing it now

so how im tihnking it can work is, its not a one time deal. it can or cannot be repeated as many times as people want and the jist of it is, each time it is done, the people who want to participate can get together and decide on an album. then each waller will pick a track and wall it.

and to anwer devildude's question, yea it doesnt have to neccessarily be the character. you can do it however you want. but if you want an idea, the whole point i thought this would be interesting is that people usually try to express some sort of mood or feeling when they make anything, even in walls. and music is aprime example of that. so personally thats what i would be going for but as i said can be any approach you want.

anyways, i need a feel for what you guys thik of this. and if OK'ed possible nominations for an album.
to start off ill name two, one of which was actually already mentioned by me but whatever:
-Bob Marley "Legend"
-Oh Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack

oh also in terms of people, its essentially just whoever wants to do this but i guess a good number would be around 8-10 at least.

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

The hard to do with Bob would be having to wall every track of Legend, since the album really is homogeneous. Wouldn't it be kind of impossible to find 14 different wallers and have them wall reggae? XD

but oh well I feel like suggesting too, artists and albums:
-Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles (rock classic) <--easy for imaginative stuff, psychedelic colors!
-Manu Chao (world/latin america)
-Nirvana (grunge) <--why not grunge walls hahaha
-Requiem, W. amadeus Mozart (instrumental classical)
-White Stripes (rock alternative/punk)
-The book of Secrets, Loreena Mckennit (new age) <-- very "visual" music lol

w00tazn

w00tazn

hottie.

I'd be interested in entering a contest like this... but im not sure whether I'd actually be able to produce a proper wallpaper that would convey my real reaction..

The least i could do is try though.

EDIT1 :read the posts and and I am still interested in particiapting in the project. The only thing bad about it being a project is that there is less pressure on me to actually produce something.

EDIT2: You should probably do soemthing like pick differnt tracks and then have people sign up for those tracks, THEN in the end you could create some sort of compilation album that featured those tracks paired together with the wallpapers the users created.

ALSO contest implies that the user would be submitting their best and usually weeds out anyone who isnt truely interested, having it as a project sort of invites people who wouldnt produce quality in their work which sort of degrades the project all together.

Gid

Gid

LAZY AS ALL HELL

Stealing my idea boy! X-P

I'd be down with participating. I've got a couple months before pulling out Round II of DERKA, so I have time. And if we did, I'd like to vote for the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, because it's hawt.

I also feel like suggesting Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, or anything from At The Drive In.

woot the reason why i didnt want to do a contest is i hate competition, and for the most part quality isnt that much of a concern since this is just for fun. and not to sound mean but if you dont feel motivated to participate, dont. nothing wrong with it or just participate in the ones that sound interesting for example.

also candy bob was just an example but being homogeneous isnt a bad tihng. an album should have a consistent theme sometimes and if that wasnt the case, it would be no different then everyone just doing whatever song or music they wanted. and also, not all the tracks need to be taken, as i said before its only for the ones who want to do it. so if that happens to be only 5 or so people, then thats it. haha also beatles and stripes, good choices!

haha and yea gid sorry if it seems like i stole the idea. hehe i did credit you and i thought it was an awesome idea. anyways indeed on the oh brother where art thou ost. and pink floyd was actually the one rock pick i had in mind ha.

anyways, glad you guys want to do it and are interested.

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

isee what you mean heh. But well I just mean that it seemed maybe a bit too homogeneous for 18 wallers to work on it, but 2-3 sounds good :D

I also agree with dark side of the moon btw, cause its hot.

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

it would be nice if I can suggest some Duke Ellington, don't have a specific choice tho, being that my fav was "in a sentimental mood" by him.
Anyhow, I am in.

Signature Image

BaKaShInIgAmI

BaKaShInIgAmI

~Bakkie~

i'm not sure if i will be participating in this event but i would like to see some walls based on jazz albums. I know it's probably hard to find jazz cds but i have a 2 disk set called "Classical Jazz: Jazz Legends." some of the artists featured in those cds are:

Miles Davis
Charlie Parker
Duke Ellington (as mentioned by Devildude)
Dizzy Gilespie
Ella Fitzgerald
Louis Armstrong
Billie Holiday

i don't know any specific album names of those artists but i really liked the 2 disk set. another jazz group that i like is called "Squirrel Nut Zippers." I have 2 of their cds called "Bedlam Ballroom" and "Hot." Like i said, jazz might be a harder genre to do because i'm not sure how many people like it. but i would love to see some jazz album wallpapers.

hope that helps a little. :)

Signature Image

flyindreams

flyindreams

[Ninja] Lurker

...*tentatively signs self up*

haha yea...i doubt we would get 18 wallers anyways. ok so to clarify,
candy-chan
boogybro
cyd84
devildude
wootazn
gid
nageni
flyindreams
...and me

so thats 8, if i forget anyone plz tell and if anyone mentioned isnt doin it also. alright i think its time to pick an album then and get this crap going!

so any ideas on how we should vote or pick? id say we could either do nominations like weve been doing, and do a vote or we can do it another way. could do something like members take turns picking an album, and if it gets oked by a good majority of the rest we do that. i say this method only cause it would insure that we all are not simply doing stuff on music we all already are familiar with. this way, we can all at somepoint be exposed to music we are unfamiliar with.

nageni-kun

nageni-kun

Rawrr!

I'd like to nominate The Bends by Radiohead, even though many of you may have heard it before... <.<

I have so many instrumentals-only albums that I'd like to suggest, but it'll probably be alot easier with lyrical works to lay down some groundwork...

smilebit

smilebit

aristocat

well it all reads nice and pretty, except i read bob marley in there, completely ech...hopefully i can participate in this experiment this time and fine time outside of school cheers melon cat.

merged: 04-10-2006 ~ 11:39am
to clarify since i never actually wrote it, i'm in if that is alright.

merged: 04-10-2006 ~ 11:45am
and i'd like to propose,

mega man collection ost album which includes all 6 of the nes games.
beautiful garbage (garbage)
since we last spoke (rjd2)
finally we are no one (mum)
power in numbers (jurassic five)
apple o' (deerhoof)
my favourite things (john coltrane)
homework (daft punk)
sonic 3d album

in response to the jazz thing, i have the entire discography of john coltane who did in a sentimental mood not duke ellingtone. but yeah....sorry.

Signature

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

My bad, I forgot to mention it was a collab, John Coltrane and Duke Ellington.
From the Love Jones soundtrack.
I also nominate this album, Love Jones OST.
Great tracks include Maxwell - Sumthin Sumthin
In a Sentimental Mood - John Coltrane + Duke Ellington
Never Enough - Groove Theory
(Basically the entire OST is just wonderful)

On a slower side and groovier and relaxed beat, I nominate:
Maxwell - Urban Hang Suite, Embrya.

Signature Image

ok added you smilebit to the list up top. haha and jurassic five, that could be interesting and quite challenging actually

and also people, how should we decide on an album? i posted two possible ways in a post above. since its not a contest anymore i kinda feel its not right for me to just pick something for the rest of you guys to do so yea, if you guys have any ideas plz tell.

xRedPhoenix

xRedPhoenix

Red Eclipse

I am taking time out of my uber busy life to read this because you had to post the link on AP.. WHY CAN'T YOU CONTACT ME THROUGH HERE YOU BUM?!

Mood swings... Sure.. I'll join.... I just hope the due dates are workable with my schedule otherwise I'm screwed. We got mighty fine wallers competing already. >_< ..... Yeah sign me up... I'll try and drag other victims down with me later. (aka Jason and Andy..)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.