Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What are your views about the movie "The Da Vince Code"? - Minitokyo

What are your views about the movie "The Da Vince Code"?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

heavenANDearth

heavenANDearth

The Loner.....

Recently, there has been a buzz about the book turned film "The Da Vinci CodE", some of the politicians in our country(The ever so conservative Philippines) tried so hard to ban the movie because of claims about Jesus Christ divinity and holiness. So far I've watched the movie and I found nothing that made me lose my faith in the church.

So what do you think about the book turned movie.

Alot of people are upset about it because the book and the movie pretty much craps in the face of Christianity (which is not surprising, seeing as how people take what they believe in seriously. I mean, if there was a movie with a scene with Buddha gunning down fellow Buddhist or Mahummad chowing down on rump roast, there would be a loud cry of outrage. Also, expect alot of suicide bombings from the latter, considering the climate of what is being called 'a holy war' being waged right now). Alot of people are running around now, saying that Jesus wasn't what he was all cracked up to be because of this pheomonon; but lets keep in mind that this is a work of fiction. That has already been proven. I myself will never read the book or movie because, in my opinion, it's stupid (I can still have one of those right, 'cause lately everything I hear is from people is based on "fact").

shinichan999

Shinigami's Lover

There are so many riot in the name of God in my opinion. All you have to see in the end is that's a just a movie, a piece of fiction and nothing more.

Don't fear the Reaper Babe, coze the Reaper is dead Tired tonight...
Free--Wallers
Peacemaker--Kurogane

The movie does not live up to the quality (and details) of the original book. Read it and you will truly see the reason for all the fuss.

merged: 05-28-2006 ~ 06:54pm

Quote by JazzAlot of people are upset about it because the book and the movie pretty much craps in the face of Christianity (which is not surprising, seeing as how people take what they believe in seriously. I mean, if there was a movie with a scene with Buddha gunning down fellow Buddhist or Mahummad chowing down on rump roast, there would be a loud cry of outrage. Also, expect alot of suicide bombings from the latter, considering the climate of what is being called 'a holy war' being waged right now). Alot of people are running around now, saying that Jesus wasn't what he was all cracked up to be because of this pheomonon; but lets keep in mind that this is a work of fiction. That has already been proven. I myself will never read the book or movie because, in my opinion, it's stupid (I can still have one of those right, 'cause lately everything I hear is from people is based on "fact").

The fact that the story has a lot of truth intertwined with fictional facts does not make it a pure fiction. And I'd be interested to see your proof.

Whether it is heretical, fiction or otherwise, I recommend reading the book. When I started reading it, I was not expecting much of an enjoyment, but a few pages into it soon got me deeply engrossed. It is that good. Too bad the movie does not live up to a lot of readers' expectations.

Regards.

Lol, da vinci code is a best seller, but quantity doesn't necessary (rarely indeed...) mean quality. The film is mediocre, but the book isn't much better. But if you like polemics and easy enigms, you will appreciate it.
If not....
read rather an interesting book , like "alterity and transcendance" of Emmanuel Levinas

The dark orpheus

I enjoy the book but not the movie.

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

The book was alot better than the movie...the movie left out some good parts

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

Quote by starrliteangelThe book was alot better than the movie...the movie left out some good parts

A L-O-T of it, actually.

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

Quote by Enchanter
Whether it is heretical, fiction or otherwise, I recommend reading the book. When I started reading it, I was not expecting much of an enjoyment, but a few pages into it soon got me deeply engrossed. It is that good. Too bad the movie does not live up to a lot of readers' expectations.

Regards.

EXACTLY! I didnt know why there was such a big fuss about the DaVinchi Code, so I finally decided to read it...it was seriously so good that I couldnt put it down till i finished it! As for those people that wont read it just becuase it goes against their beliefs...well youre missing out on alot. just b/c you read something that goes against your religion, it doesnt mean you have to believe what the Davinchi code tells you. Hello? reading is for pleasure, people! why do you have to take it so seriously.
and i also hear people saying that the Davinchi code is just a book....um...correct me if im wrong..........but unless im hallucinating, the Bible looks like a book to me too! At least we KNOW who wrote the Davinchi code and we have proof. who the heck wrote the bible? I dont know. and even if you do know, could you prove it? all the pieces of art and objects that Brown uses in the Davinchi code exist. how far can you go to prove that some things in the bible really existed?

After I watched the davinchi code with my mom, I asked her what her reaction would be if a movie like that was made about buddism. (my mom is buddist) And she told me that it really wouldnt matter to her, because all that really matters is that she still believes in what she truly thinks is right. I think the same thing goes for the Davinchi code. just my opinion. Saying you wont watch it, or protesting against it just confirms that youre afraid it might be true. if you really believe its not true, then it shouldnt matter what other people think. dont you think so? there really should be no need to be protesting so forcefully.........unless deep in your mind somewhere you know its all true.

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

ko1

What I liked about the DaVinci code is that it asks the question of "what if..." This question then hopefully starts the reader's thought processes and forces them to ask more questions. I prefer people who search for the truth, no matter what the outcome may be, over those who just accept what they're told and parrot it off whenever asked.

The Bible itself is a collection of stories and accounts compiled from various sources. What if some of those sources and stories were purposefully left out or edited for content? Know what? It makes no difference whatsoever. The final edition that did make it to print has it right; only most people focus more on the details of the story instead of the message the story contains.

In the end, I tend to believe that Jesus was just a guy who thought of a new way of doing things and so he went out into the world to spread the word of universal love & peace. If the Old Testament can be summed up by the Ten Commandments, then the New Testament is about love & peace. Forget the individual stories and that's the message. Follow that message in your daily life and you will be a good Christian.

At least, that's my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

"I want it all and all at once" - Marquis de Sade

Well seeing as I havn't seen the movie my opinion isn't worth much on this portion of the subject yet from reading the book I believe that it will have some worthwhile ideas that should be looked into.

heavenANDearth

heavenANDearth

The Loner.....

Quote by starrliteangel
After I watched the davinchi code with my mom, I asked her what her reaction would be if a movie like that was made about buddism. (my mom is buddist) And she told me that it really wouldnt matter to her, because all that really matters is that she still believes in what she truly thinks is right. I think the same thing goes for the Davinchi code. just my opinion. Saying you wont watch it, or protesting against it just confirms that youre afraid it might be true. if you really believe its not true, then it shouldnt matter what other people think. dont you think so? there really should be no need to be protesting so forcefully.........unless deep in your mind somewhere you know its all true.

I totally agree with what you said. I mean for one thing, it's all fiction. So a great story like the davinci code doesn't have to change our faith. That is if we do really have a strong faith in God, Cristianity or any other religion. What matters is what you believe and what you know. Seriously, I didn't see any treats in the book or the movie that made a fool of Christianity for I believed it was all fiction.

The movie was great and I hope everyone gets to see it cause it's just amazing.It really is.People shouldn't judge it because it's just <u>fictional.</u>People should just enjoy the movie based on what it is.

merged: 05-31-2006 ~ 12:38am
The movie was great and I hope everyone gets to see it cause it's just amazing.It really is.People shouldn't judge it because it's just <u>fictional.</u>People should just enjoy the movie based on what it is.

as one who hasn't read the book, (and an aethiest at that) I can only appreciate it as a well done film. They did a good job at stringing together various facts from history and working it into an interesting story.

I enjoyed the movie and had a good time seeing it.

The book is better, but I love Tom Hanks, not so bad, but I recommend the book.

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

imo, Ian Mckellen's performance was good and Tom Hanks' wasn't that bad either

Signature

I think a lot is speculation, it can go either way. What amuses me the most is the religious zealots who denounce it without having read a single page of the book. All they need to hear is something about what it speculates and they close their mind entirely to any further discussion.

Want to see Ar Tonelico 2? Post here!
http://com4.runboard.com/bnisamerica.f2.t1206

animanga

animanga

A Clockwork Fate

A great movie & book, & alot of it I don't consider fiction. The church making all this uproar is only giving it publicity. I most definitely don't want to offend anybody but come on, it makes alot more sense than the Bible alot of the time. (sorry)

Signature
My latest works: Mine of Mine * [url=http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/409522]Fool

lacusxxclyne

lacusxxclyne

~JUst SmilE & Ill BE FinE~

the movies average but you want to know better read the book..

like any other book-turned-movie, it doesn't live up to its expectations. bottom line is, the movie sucks. for those who haven't read the book, they may say otherwise, but it really does suck. for me, tom hanks was just the dung-icing on the cake. no offense to anyone or anything. i didn't think he suited the movie. they should've picked someone like mel gibson or something. i think he would've done better.

I've read many theoretical books and am fascinated by them. It all depends on your faith. If you have that weak faith that shatters with just a simple theoretical idea then it doesn't really support your whole belief. Well Tom Hanks made a favorable potrayal so its cool to me.

heavenANDearth

heavenANDearth

The Loner.....

Quote by popongI've read many theoretical books and am fascinated by them. It all depends on your faith. If you have that weak faith that shatters with just a simple theoretical idea then it doesn't really support your whole belief. Well Tom Hanks made a favorable potrayal so its cool to me.

I kinda agree with him, in the end, what depends is what you believe!

pigoutgirl8

pigoutgirl8

Pulchritudinous.Rosebud

the movie wasn't as bad as all the critics say... they probably just expected too much from it... i think audrey tatou was a good sophie neveu... and a lot of the stuff from the book got cut out ... so it'd be an okay movie for people who haven't read the book.

heavenANDearth

heavenANDearth

The Loner.....

Quote by pigoutgirl8the movie wasn't as bad as all the critics say... they probably just expected too much from it... i think audrey tatou was a good sophie neveu... and a lot of the stuff from the book got cut out ... so it'd be an okay movie for people who haven't read the book.

Aubrey tatou was a good Sophie Neveu, i think I agree wth you too about the over expecations that it received. And for for, I think another reason why it received negative criticisms maybe the media's fault. They made an issue out of a good story which kinda over-hyped it a it so the people(including the critics) had very high expectations.

For me, it still delivered a good story despite what the critics had said and it remained faithful to the book(except some scenes example like when Aubrey discovered she was...... *spoilers warning* oh never mind everybody has watched/read it anyway, she was the decendent of Christ, in the book, it was her mother and brother that came not her grandma).

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.