Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is the world better, worst or the same than it was 50 years ago? - Minitokyo

Is the world better, worst or the same than it was 50 years ago?

Have the world gone... than it was 50 years ago?

Better
9 votes
Its the same
6 votes
Worst
13 votes
Its changing in some way
37 votes

Only members can vote.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 61 total items

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

The world is definitely better than it was. 50 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to go in the internet, on a site like this and discuss interesting topics such as this one. I think its great to be able to participate in an open forum with people from around the world.

In fact, I especially like creatives sites like this one, because they provide an outlet to produce art instead of wasting time with drugs and the like, as many people did 50 years ago.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

asinine

asinine

++_Sleeveless Vampire_ ++

Quote by BobaFett2haThe world is definitely better than it was. 50 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to go in the internet, on a site like this and discuss interesting topics such as this one. I think its great to be able to participate in an open forum with people from around the world.

In fact, I especially like creatives sites like this one, because they provide an outlet to produce art instead of wasting time with drugs and the like, as many people did 50 years ago.

Yes technology advancement wise yes.. i am very thankful for that... i cannot deny that all this computer enhancement and so forth has made a great impact to my life... it makes interaction, education, entertainment much meaningfull to my life... And speaking here proves that point...

But what i admire... 50 years ago... or more likely 1000 odd years back... is the way they take Your Word or Your Honour as if it will never be broken.... People that broke it are seen as traitors or disloyal for life.... The fact that they keep this on and have an unspoken law of it... Tells me that people dont go aback from their word and promises that easily.. So to speak... they value their word and oath like taking their own life if they break it....

As we come to this modern day.... oaths and promises are just... words.... spoken words that will be gone with the wind.. the next day woke up... This is what i feel nowadays.. as divorce rate soars... families broken.... friends betraying one another more each day... They dont take these things seriously anymore...

At the end of the day, i would always turn around and say.... "Egao Saku... "
Signature
Co-Administrator of MTSingapore
<3 Me Luv U Sooo Muchi Hino-Chan!

50 years ago, the Hot Rod scene was young, they made cars that didn't look like electric shavers on crack, and cars weren't forced to conform to some arbitrary value of "greenhouse gas" emissions. In terms of the automotives, I'd say it was better 50 years ago.

NaklsonofNakkl

NaklsonofNakkl

Unforgiven Monster

50 years ago this nation was more joined that it is now, since 1950's there have been way to much fuss over war, drugs, and sexuality. I think that the parents of today are less strict than the parents of yesterday, I don't understand how 50 years ago using a belt was right and now suddenly it is horrible? Wasn't some of our current leaders raised that way and look where they are?
As for money, well economy is rising every day which is nice for a change, but 50 years ago we were still a little 'depressted' and some of the homeless rate was high in certain places. If I were to chose, I would rather live 50 years ago than now...

If you need me, just send me a msg, I'll reply ASAP ^_^

Quote by asinine

Quote by BobaFett2haThe world is definitely better than it was. 50 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to go in the internet, on a site like this and discuss interesting topics such as this one. I think its great to be able to participate in an open forum with people from around the world.

Yes technology advancement wise yes.. i am very thankful for that... i cannot deny that all this computer enhancement and so forth has made a great impact to my life... it makes interaction, education, entertainment much meaningfull to my life... And speaking here proves that point...

But what i admire... 50 years ago... or more likely 1000 odd years back... is the way they take Your Word or Your Honour as if it will never be broken.... People that broke it are seen as traitors or disloyal for life.... The fact that they keep this on and have an unspoken law of it... Tells me that people dont go aback from their word and promises that easily.. So to speak... they value their word and oath like taking their own life if they break it....

As we come to this modern day.... oaths and promises are just... words.... spoken words that will be gone with the wind.. the next day woke up... This is what i feel nowadays.. as divorce rate soars... families broken.... friends betraying one another more each day... They dont take these things seriously anymore...

Ah...finally someone who i share the same sentiments....AZ, there are still ppl out there like this you know... :) My honor my Life. ;) Just.....very very few of us left that is... Truly, ...its the people that had grown ill-fated.

Signature
Thank you, Ms Toya999 for the wonderful Signature. :)

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

Here's an honest question..is it really true that people were more "honorable" 50 years ago? If so, why? and how do you know?

I ask because I usually hear people griping that the world was simpler back then and that somehow that is a good thing. I think the "honor" argument is just something they throw in because you really can't prove that a simpler world like there was 50 years ago is better than the more sophisticated world of today. That's just a pure matter of opinion (and, I might add, tells you something about the person with the opinion). I personally think the technological difference between then and now, though it makes life a bit more complicated, is definitely a good thing (see previous post).

Most of all, though, I think the best thing about the world of now relative to the world of the past is the education rate. It goes without saying that getting educated is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It also, because it's so significant to the early part of your life, contributes to the moral development that many of you seem to value so much. Remember, Gandhi was an Oxford-educated attorney.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

it's definitely better. plus aprox. 50 years ago was World War 2. so life is so much better now than way back then. and consider the technological advances during the past 50 years. 50 years ago i would have been dead bored if was alive back then. there would no PC to or internet to be infront of all day. though i can't say much about morality...

Gallopia

Gallopia

__DaRK_ HImE__

I think is not 50 yrs but not the future because this centrury even though the tech. is good but it won't last forever ....

Signature

Gallopia copy rights! DaRK HiME has return....

From my perspective point of view of the current world, the world changes in a periodic series of mishaps and great fortunes. Just like we are living our lives. Although, some website i had visited long past particularly disturbed me.(Our lives on this world are totally controlled by a Single Secret Nation etc etc). Nevermind that cause it was a randomness search on the Google Search Engine while MT was down some time back. ^_^"

The world Always Changes. For every change, there is an effect. It's that effect that everyone determines whether it is for the better or the worse since everyone here on this blue world we call Earth home, has varying Lifestyles and under different climate conditions as well as personal differences on the world's workings !

As i mentioned earlier, the world's changes are just like we are living our lives. That solely is because, we are shaping the world for ourselves. Some agree, .... some don't. That in the end, end up begin the endless struggle and eventually, it's either Win-win or Win-Lose situation.

What i am trying to point out here, is that. There always will be a counterbalance on how our world evolves . For every change we deem good, there is always bad. Well, not totally bad...... Else, what difference will it make in our lives anyway ? We win some, we lose some. We can't always win all the time. Do you want to live in a world with no differences where you know you can't change a thing at all unless...you see it that way, *shrugs* i have no say.That will totally misinterpret what our civilization has be on-going for about let's see... 8000 thousand plus years since it first started ? O.o Woah.....

The world is always changing. Life begins here and we live it. It is not always a straight line we are walking. It is full of ups and downs. However, Life on this world...is a Glorious thing ! :)

For all i can say about our world, i say, the denizens has much to learn yet....yet, there is a big Growth inside us all. All the time.Changing.Always.

Let as Time Runs..

Amadeus317

Battle Brother

Life is all right, for the most part anyway, 'cept for everyone ranting about "stupid Americans and George W. Bush". I'm an American, and I miss home right now. But I also enjoy encountering other cultures and enriching myself into the peoples of other nations live their lifestyles. Can't we all just get along?

Anywho, I fished this excerpt from a friend. It was written by comedian George Carlin; I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, because despite what we are all facing now, there's still that faint glimmer for hope for everyone. ^_^

"The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life, not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are the days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit Delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember to say "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Again, I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. : )

"It is better to die for the Emperor than live for yourself."

^ Well said. :) XD

Quote by BobaFett2haHere's an honest question..is it really true that people were more "honorable" 50 years ago? If so, why? and how do you know?

I ask because I usually hear people griping that the world was simpler back then and that somehow that is a good thing. I think the "honor" argument is just something they throw in because you really can't prove that a simpler world like there was 50 years ago is better than the more sophisticated world of today. That's just a pure matter of opinion (and, I might add, tells you something about the person with the opinion). I personally think the technological difference between then and now, though it makes life a bit more complicated, is definitely a good thing (see previous post).

Most of all, though, I think the best thing about the world of now relative to the world of the past is the education rate. It goes without saying that getting educated is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It also, because it's so significant to the early part of your life, contributes to the moral development that many of you seem to value so much. Remember, Gandhi was an Oxford-educated attorney.

Hrmm...that question will really create a bottleneck of questions asked later if you do that.

If you do Know that the world IS better then it was 50 yrs ago, how will one know it is better now ? :) It is not about 50, 100, 1000, an Eon but rather, the Civilization of which we are desperately living out on this cold and Blue beautiful world...it is the THought that matters. Not the pros or cons. From what i see from youths these days, they are simply living their lives, feeding off the paradise created from their forefathers and tainting it without any prerequisite thought for the future generations ... haiz~~ Don't get me started. This 50 yr thingie was just an understate of time comparison. If it is said, 70 yrs, 70yrs it will be. (Although i am curious...who wants to live that long ?)

Truly, i must agree. The Education rate is moderately been increase and that is a good thing. But what of the morality of the people who are been educated ? People are just people, no doubt about it. However, things goes out of control because, simply by not learning from history, mistakes once learn are repeated yet again. Even though education levels are high, what is the value of education if we don't cherish it's importance ? And we are not talking about, how it is valued, abused and put to use in the real world. ;)

This is but not only a question on the understanding on how much our society holds the knowledge of sociality and morality but also, what is Humanity doing and living for !

Remember, alot of historical beneficial leaders are born without proper education, so we can't say that ! This will reflect on, how one knows and hoard " Honorable " terms with true real Life experiences. :)

Hey~~ what's with that jerk look ? .T.T...ok ok ok...I Do have real life examples ! Tch :hmpf: If not, i will not be what i am here today, sharing, chatting and discussing with my dear MTers today.

Signature
Thank you, Ms Toya999 for the wonderful Signature. :)

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Worse. 50 years ago, the United States had emerged as the light and hope of the whole world. They had destroyed the dark facists of Nazi Germany. They had become the centerpoint of the "Good Fight". Men and women accross the country worked hard for their future, and for self respect. Today, this fine, precious blood has been diluted with people who just want to see how far they can milk the system, and "get away with it". It is unfortunate. I stand strong as many stand leeching around me. It's a shame. Perhaps someday something will happen that will once again give rise to this great people. ...I hope, this time, the price will be less. Last time, it took holocausts, and loss of many American lives before the nation made the difference that saved the world...

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

I think it is better, after all. We can now cure diseases that we couldn't 50 years ago. We surely can do much more, when it comes to saving someones life now. So i think it is better, despiting all wars and evil of humanity. I think this will change to. In time...

Signature Image
I am the conformer, the bright sunlight that wipes all sorrow.

could be maybe little better, but basicly I think it has stayed pretty much the same... of course technology and so on has changed and the guality of life, but many things between humans themselves are still the same, good things and bad things too.

justsomeone

justsomeone

Nameless

Well acording to my grandma it a little worse.Back then everibody in our country had a job and a place to live,but products like oranges,bananas were on sale only on Christmas not only that but you had to have a card that allowed you to buy these products in a certain quantity.

I think this is an unfair question. Sure, standards have lowered. Children back talk to their parents, we swear more openly and third graders now threaten each other by calling their friends gay or yelling "Stop molesting me!" in a crowded room. But the fifties weren't all kicks and giggles either.

Women were still FORCED to be house wives. Minorities, were oppressed. There were no anti-biotics, and the red scare made monsters out of neighbors.

Nestalgia is fine, but don't kid yourself. Instead of looking to the past and think, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if..." look at the current state of things and come up with ways of changing how the world is now into the kind of world you want it to be.

Quote by asinine

If you want to go 1,000 years back, I suggest you watch out for the plague, Viking raids, and serfdom. Perhaps the later crusades where children were sent to fight? The incident where a crusader managed to endear himself to a city head sufficiently to be named heir to the city, and promptly murded the old man shows how well they kept there "sacred" word.

The glory of the past is a myth.

Life is far better now than 50 years ago, the average quality of life is steadily growing.

E N T R O P Y.....
It's inevidable that the world's on it's way to destruction

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

Climate wise, it getting worst but there are many advance which makes our lives better

I'm not sure if it's worse than 50 years ago.50 years ago,they had different problems,than we have now.But,now we have better technology.I mean,I don't think we could just comment and such like this back then!But of course,for everything that is good,we'll also get something bad.

o0Beginner0o

o0Beginner0o

B for Beginner

the world is like a long endless road, and the longer you go, the new changes you will witness, but as you go there will be two paths going its separate ways and both those paths lead to consequences, though the world may be getting better in discovery's,intelligence and technology we are getting worse because the things we are getting better at, are getting worse for nature and the environment

if we didn't choose the path to intelligence and chose the other path, there will still be consequences, like the people once known as "hippies", they chose a different path and argued against those who didn't want to go the same way as they did because we think we're doing the right thing, but look at their side and they are probably thinking that they are the ones doing the right thing

Signature Imagei'm happy you're happy everyone is happy isn't that the best?

One thing I can be sure, people never satisfied with their life.
Well, talk about the good side, life now provide many things we need: healthcare, food, technology...
Talk about the bad side, we have a stressed society, learn too much, work too much. The way we are living now is too much heavy.
Although people in old time work hard physically but they are mentally free. They don't need to remember a lot of things in a day or worry too much.
But if you let me pick, I will pick to live the life in my parents' life.

Let's see... if I really had to think about how it was back in the day, for North America, everything was cheaper. College/University, houses, cars. There was much less competition for jobs. Global warming, terrorism, wasn't around. On the other hand, technology and medicine wasn't as advanced and you died earlier.

I can't say which one I'd rather live in. If I were this age, 50 years ago, I doubt I'd have much complaints about my life because I was so used to the environment. Same thing with now. But because I can compare the two, they are a lot of pros and cons about both time periods so it's hard to say.

The world changing but it's in equal balance. Still, it could be better

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 61 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.