Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Beggars on the street.. - Minitokyo

Beggars on the street..

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Our government doesn't even know which of its roads exists and which donnot.

vode

vode

Banned For Inactive

Quote by falconx2000
What is needed is infrastructure, education, providing the means to not only get relief to the needy, but also to make them into productive citizens.

It's easier said then done. Where do you get the money for these infrastructure and education? I suppose we can pull it out of our asses?

--o'.'---o

ShadowWraith

ShadowWraith

Samurai of Deep Shadow

I hold very little sympathy for beggars but I do hold it.

I have heard from my mother, however, that a couple of times instead of giving a beggar money she went and bought them a Big Mack or something like that and gave it to them and they just threw it away.

They didn't want food money they wanted dope money.

I respect the fact that some of them can't get hired but I also patronize the fact that some of them won't get hired. They refuse to use any of their begging money to buy a simple shirt and pants. If you can make just $30-$50 a day (and according to previously mentioned statistics that shouldn't be too hard) in a week or so you could have enough saved up money that you could buy a nicer set of clothing and I don't know about elswhere but here in the U.S. you can find a truck stop or somewhere like that and take a shower for almost nothing. And if you go to one of the missions you could probably get one free.

I do know why they don't want to work, though. I've got a friend like that. They think they're too good for menial labor and so they refuse to get lower end jobs to help pay their way through college so they can get a better job. They feel that it either requires too much effort or that they don't need to or shouldn't have to work because they are better than everyone else. Or else their just crack heads.

As for education all you need is some food money and a place to stay. Then (in the U.S. at least) you can take out a college loan and go to school. Sure it'll take till the second coming to pay off but it'll be well worth it.

The bottom line for beggars in the U.S. is that most of them are just too damn lazy. And the rare instances that are actually having true problems actually seek help.

It's all comparible to the obesity epidemic in America. A very small percentage of the time obesity is caused by genetic disorders that actually force people to be fat. However, lazy fat people that feel bad about their situation don't want to take the time and effort to change it. They want instant gratification. So they blame it on genetics and use that as their scapegoat.

In the end I believe the people who have the right to call themselves beggars are those who tried and for the love of God for some reason just can't succeed. The others are just lazy loosers. The hard part is telling them apart.

Our time is dark, and our world chaotic but I will not be made a victim of this world.....

When I went to China, the beggars even followed my up too the bus!
and at Thailand, there's alot of normal people begging, I meant they pretend to be a cripple and all that
there's a lot in those two country especially Thailand which have them also alot at the capital city

they really make the country looks worse

"Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak. It just means that you are strong enough to let go."

ShadowWraith said:
The bottom line for beggars in the U.S. is that most of them are just too damn lazy. And the rare instances that are actually having true problems actually seek help.

---

Actually a lot of people who have real problems after the first or second time not being able to get help they quit because if you really have a problem it's too hard to do much about it once you get that deep.

Also you can not take out a loan unless you have a job... you can't get a job unless you have a place to live since you need an address... and you can't get money to get a place to live unless you fine other ways

Also not everywhere is liek where you are. I give beggars stuff *not money* all the time. They do appriciate things liek that. I guess usually you just have to use common sense and say "does he look like a lazy druggy or soemone who needs food and a blanket" instead of just assuming they are all druggies.

there are not much in my country....
but soon there will be .....
b'cuz the government is rising the price of anything..
curse them

A very interesting topic. Im from the UK but I reside in the Philippines now because my olds have retired here and my mum is from Philippines here too. There are so many beggars here, I see children come to me asking in the local language for money and money so they can buy things to sniff. I find it very disturbing. Here the situation is getting worse. There are mor beggars than ever before on the street. Many people find them a burden. Even though this is a third world country, there are many schemes here done voluntary to try to help them. There is a literacy programme, there is vocational courses for them to take and at the university i go to here in Mindanao which is the best one here, they have recreation areas where each college helps them. Like with health, we help teach them education, they also learn book keeping and even agriculture.
That is all there to help them get on their feet so they have the skills to get a job or be self-sufficient. However not all beggars here want to be helped.

I found out recently that some women hire a baby for aboput one pound sterling! So people will give money to pity the child! Very disturbing that is!

The government are trying to do something about this, however in the Philippines it is the people who really try to help them. Yet some of them do want to be helped. They want to be like they are.

Only thing I think they should do is get the children into school as early as possible so they have an education and that is when the cycle could be broken so the process wont repeat itsef.

I tell you. From living in Enlgand most of my life, beggars there are lucky, they still have welfare. Here they don't! lIFE IS REALLY HARD! You have to see poverty in the third world. It really open's your eyes. I learnt so much here.

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

::. Back in Singapore .::

Quote by rockym9000
I found out recently that some women hire a baby for aboput one pound sterling! So people will give money to pity the child! Very disturbing that is!

The government are trying to do something about this, however in the Philippines it is the people who really try to help them. Yet some of them do want to be helped. They want to be like they are.

Only thing I think they should do is get the children into school as early as possible so they have an education and that is when the cycle could be broken so the process wont repeat itsef.

I tell you. From living in Enlgand most of my life, beggars there are lucky, they still have welfare. Here they don't! lIFE IS REALLY HARD! You have to see poverty in the third world. It really open's your eyes. I learnt so much here.

Sadly it is hard to judge conditions between developed countries against developing countries..While develcountries are struggling to cope with poor conditions.. they developed is trying to up their standard of living...

It is not that Phillippines does not want to make a welfare scheme like ENgland... it is because sadly they cant... it involve lots of money and also the situation there is worsened by the day...

But i cant help but find it funny while beggars can roam around in one country and beg... in some countries like Singapore... begging will lead you to being fined a minimum amount of $3000 if you so much as do that... That explain why there aint many beggars in this particular country..

merged: 08-28-2006 ~ 12:01pm

Quote by my74511there are not much in my country....
but soon there will be .....
b'cuz the government is rising the price of anything..
curse them

Mine telling me which country you are from and why and what is the government raising prices of?

a big THANK YOU to my lovely and humorous friend,the irresistable Devilet X-P
Signature
No time to make a userpage....
Junkii member no. 16

Just like ever where in the world. We have them to. They are two different type of begger. One is homeless, two bums. Which one you talking about it. I have not read everyone comment before me. I might repeat them or might say out of order. Forgive me.

I going to start talking about homeless people. There are some that choose to be homeless becuase of our socity life run. Everyone so cope up with money, work, or their own things. That they sometime forgot what important to them. These homeless never intend to be where they are but end up. For example house got burn, stock market (cause people to lose their job), not enough job, so on.

Other choose to homeless because they want to get away. So they don't have to worry about what going on with the world and choose to live the life they have which living in the street, under the brigde, anywhere that fits them. Or couldn't keep up with the world.

Now to the bums people. Those that choose to be lazy and not doing anything but want other to gave them money and work for them. Those people should do something. Homeless doesn't even fit them. I tell you those type of people really tick me off. There a guy that I see each weekend that stand in the coner with the his sign "Need a beer why lie" (something like that can't remember what it say) and that stuip smile of his. You might laugh at this. People do actully gave him money. I swear they so stuip. I don't care if you are lying or not. They need their ass up and get a job. People like that make homeless people look bad.

merged: 08-29-2006 ~ 03:50am

Quote by rockym9000

That is disturbing and gross. I can't stand those people even more. >=0! Mother like that should have the right to have a child. Life or death. You shouldn't risk someone else life even it is baby for your disire period. Do it yourself.

Signature
Come and check out my group Neither-world for half-breed. or Gintama For yaoi stuff go to my Yaoi Channel Blog.

Quote by vode

Quote by falconx2000
What is needed is infrastructure, education, providing the means to not only get relief to the needy, but also to make them into productive citizens.

It's easier said then done. Where do you get the money for these infrastructure and education? I suppose we can pull it out of our asses?

For one thing, stop overspending on giving relief to the needy. It isn't helping. That would release extra funding towards accessible (meaning cheap enoug for the poor to afford it) education and infrastructure, which gives long term benefit to the whole nation.

Next, you need relatively non-corrupt government. Your example, China, is already a good enough level. Just not somewhere like Columbia.

Another thing is to get off our asses. Not to futilely give away our fortune for the poor's short term benefit, but to genuinely work towards improving the economy and changing the direction of the government's aims enough that the country will actually gear itself towards doing this stuff, and to vote in the government accordingly.

When enough impetus is given to a cause, and its planned out thoroughly so as to be efficient and blunder-free as possble, it will work. Roads are built, government schools can function, etc.

You think Singapore in the 1960s was rich? lol. It can be done.

vode

vode

Banned For Inactive

Quote by falconx2000

Quote by vode

Quote by falco(...)
[/quote

For one thing, stop overspending on giving relief to the needy. It isn't helping. That would release extra funding towards accessible (meaning cheap enoug for the poor to afford it) education and infrastructure, which gives long term benefit to the whole nation.

Next, you need relatively non-corrupt government. Your example, China, is already a good enough level. Just not somewhere like Columbia.

Another thing is to get off our asses. Not to futilely give away our fortune for the poor's short term benefit, but to genuinely work towards improving the economy and changing the direction of the government's aims enough that the country will actually gear itself towards doing this stuff, and to vote in the government accordingly.

When enough impetus is given to a cause, and its planned out thoroughly so as to be efficient and blunder-free as possble, it will work. Roads are built, government schools can function, etc.

You think Singapore in the 1960s was rich? lol. It can be done.

hmm, lets see, how big is China, how big is Singapore?
How many people are in China, How many people are in Singapore?

Yea, China is non-corrupted on the surface, but part of the government is actually quite corrupted.

--o'.'---o

teko

teko

"POCHI"

Well in my country the government offers all kinds of ways to get rid of this problem because most beggars here are just cheating you into believing that they are that poor.
Despite that the government has charity boxes and many contributing for the cause.
Last time I saw a beggar was 4 years ago.

I think a good reason there are so many homeless is because all the jobs the homeless would have, is in other countries. We need to stop outsourcing the factories and give those jobs to the people who need it at home, even though that means we will make people in the 3rd world contries even more poor than they already are.

I agree with Infinite, corporations want to downsize costs and maintain profits. The only problem with this is that corporations have to put their own intrests before anything else and it is enforced by law that they do so. I am not sure if this is correct but I heard it from the documentry "The Corporation" watch it if you guys can, it gives great insight on corporate world.

You are missing some notions in respect towards living human beings. Therefore this post is erased.

-The Moderation

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

personally I encourage social organisations helping the homeless and people living in the streets, but I rarely give them money. There is always a way for them to find shelter and food, and most of the time a job too. Meaning they rarely need to beg, they decide to do so. Having myself not much money as a college student I am not better than them financially.

Zangetsu-ssl

Zangetsu-ssl

Soul Slayer

Once in a while... what people say really peeves me off. So get ready before you read on.

Quote by MischaI think some beggars do consciously choose to live on the streets

Some do, some don't. How can a mentally ill person choose to live on the streets if the can't think straight in the first place?

Quote by Mischa... but here in Australia, the Australian government does nothing to help.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Howard Government... or any of the previous Governments for that matter, but I know that is complete bulls*** saying the Government isn't doing a thing to help poverty. We got something like 20 million people living in Australia... 5.1% (from here) of the population is unemployed and only a handful are beggers.

Have you ever heard of Centrelink... or how about the 'Dole'? They provide people with the financial help who are unemployed, disadvantaged and/or disabled. They also help the elderly meet ends with the bills and everything. Also, have you heard of the Department of Housing and Works? They are responsible for keeping people who are financially disadvantaged families in homes otherwise they'll be living on the streets. To say the Australian Government is not doing a thing to help reduce beggers or poverty for that matter is complete and utter c***.

Quote by MischaCharities demand to assess your home and financial situation before they can provide you with any long-term assistance, and when you're a bum, you don't have a permanent residence.

What the hell?! Charities don't demand assess to your home before helping the disadvantaged out. They will review your financial situation before providing the things you need for basic living. This way they prvent non-disadvantaged people from taking advantage of the charity.

Quote by MischaAlso, if you have no CV, have no money, no clothes (other than the ones you're wearing) and haven't had a bath for weeks, what place is going to employ you? I mean, it's a lose-lose situation.

It's called the 'Dole'. Scheech. Okay... so you say that they just recieve for doing nothing. Well, there's an option to work for the 'Dole' by doing community service if people want to. There are also specific programs run by charities that help people gain the skills they need in order to enter the workforce... like the Australian Salvation Army for example.

Quote by MischaYes, some people do enjoy having no responsibilities, Mr. Harris who owns Harris Coffees for example, is a millionaire derelict who lives in a park and whose favourite pasttime is flicking balls of rolled up poo at people. HE chose to become a bum...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh jeez... I haven't laughed so hard in ages... I think my 'lil bro in the next room thinks I've gone crazy! That hypothetical situation seriously hillarious. I for one have never met or seen that kind of person before... I'm not saying that there might not be 1 person in this would like that. But damn, that is funny!

Quote by Mischa... but what about people who have lost their jobs, didn't have enough money to support their families, searched desperately for jobs and weren't hired lost their homes, and had to pawn/sell their possessions just for a few bucks?

Again, the 'Dole'.

Quote by MischaThey didn't choose to be fired, and if nobody wants to hire them, is that their fault?

Yes and no. It could be their fault that they didn't work hard enough or they did something bad that got them fired... like stealing from the cashier for example. However, it might not be their fault they got fired as they manager had to get rid of a few employees to help save money for the business. Nonetheless they can always find a new job... or go on the 'Dole'.

Quote by MischaI mean, that's what's happening to farmers all around Australia right now, because of the drought they can't cultivate any crops, and because there limited jobs for farmers when money is tight and the land is dry and unfruitful, nobody hires them and they end up homeless. They didn't choose that for their families.

Water is being shipped to most of the areas that are most affected by the drought at the moment. The Goverment subsidizes most of the water for the farmers to help reduce farming costs. Sure there are a few farmers that have lost their farms due to the drought but they can always ask for financial support from the Goverment ie. the 'Dole'.

Quote by MischaBut how many people here have actually talked to homeless people?

I have. Some of them have quite interesting stories to tell... but I won't replicate them here since it probably violates MT's rules.

Quote by Mischa... what would you spend money on? I mean, not all beggars make thousands of dollars in a year, and once you give them money it's not your problem what they do with it. They want to spend it on drugs, booze, so be it.

Why wouldn't you? Booze to escape reality and drugs to keep you happy. I'm not saying it's a good thing but I mean what else are you gonna spend your money on if you were homeless/begger? Remember, some of them couldn't careless about their health and/or situation.

Quote by MischaMy friend recently conducted an experiment for a social studies assignment, he dressed up as a homeless guy and lay in an alleyway pretending to be dead.

No offence but your friend is an idiot for doing such an experiment you're making the story up. Why I'd think you made that story up? For starters, it lacks experimental parameters that are in all good experiments. And secondly, no one's that stupid. So I'll give you the benefit of doubt and say that your friend actually did do the experiment. You know, it could've just been easier if your 'friend' just passed around survey's asking people for their general opinion on poverty and etc. .

Quote by MischaFor seven (7) days/one week he lay in that alleyway before anybody bothered to notice, but in the meantime he was kicked, spat on, had things thrown at him and was laughed at by passers-by. Not a terribly pretty picture of our society is it.

Aspects of society ain't as pretty as others but hey, I'm sure that if you saw a dead homeless guy on the streets you'd call '000'. And I'm also sure that there are more mature people out there in society that would do the same thing. 'Coz I know I would.

Quote by MischaBananas are so expensive now, it truly sucks ass. The Australian government is so half-assed. "No help for middle and lower class families, we're going to reform industrial relation laws instead! That way, instead of RAISING the standard of living, we lower it and in addition you guys have to work harder for leess money!"

This makes me question whether you live in Australia or not. It's called the Industrial Relations Reform for starters. This gives employers more power to control workers, unions and the like. It also means that they can fire people using half-asses excuses. I'm not a fan of the new IR reforms but it doesn't raise or lower the standards of living. Why? Say the employer decides to cut your pay by 10% and increase time by 20% then you can either leave to find another job or accept it. And I'm sure that there's some sort of workers tribunal that you could complain to if you think it's unfair.

And... I think that's about it. ^_^'

Some people may say that your cup may be half-full, some may say that it is half-empty. But I say, are you gonna drink it or not?
PCPP Forum - Internode GN Forum - GameArena Forum - StaticSub Forum - OCAU Forum - Atomic v2.5 Forum - DS Australia Forum - Whirlpool Forum - MiniTokyo Forum - Madman Entertainment Forum - Clan TeamqQp - AsiaGroove - Bleach7

Signature Image

kykyopj

kykyopj

*Miko-chan

The guverment not only diden't do enof to stop this, but it seames theat it is the one responcible X-P . But they say there is noting they can do ... Boy do I hete politics! But it seames theat in the last few years things canged. Some investores came from difrent parts and new work pleces aperar. But the peole in the streat are to lezy to aply(or to dum to miss sutch a apoorunity).
And regard to there nmber ... wele in big cities seame to be one at every cornere, in my home towen seme to be ... Werd. I haven't seend one for 6 monts. Theat is a record! :D

"Life is ment for dreaming, dreams are ment for living"

In singapore, the government make it a must for all singaporeans to have educations till primary 6, from sec1 to sec4 (i am a singaporean PR so i not so sure abt it) but i believe sch fees are like s$5-s$20 so everyone can go to sch, same goes for JC, while in poly and uni government sub abt 4-6k for sgreans and PRs(of coz there is a string attach, u have to work and stay in sg for 3yrs if i am correct). at the age of 18 u go for NS, after that i think whoever comes out wouldn't be a begger from the skills u have, and there are many different kind of jobs there. so i think u can say the government is pretty good. so seeing beggers are rare, even if there is, it is illegal and u will go to jail for that lolx

We are over populating at a crazy rate....there is no money for anyone...cut throat. if u had absolutely nothing to ur name - what extremes would u go to to feed urself or ur family, shelter, what ever....
yes they might be annoying but what else can they do?
yes government offers shelters, etc but they choose the easy life of the streets or they HAVE to go to school and surprisingly they dont want.
They live in crappy conditions. Just think what you could actually contribute if you had nothing....mayb you will also be standing there begging!

darkdragon

darkdragon

the homeless person

they are doing a bad job. when they do a population count they just assume the number of homeless people. the government doesnt really care. the homeless centers are all full in my state

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

You can't force people to work, especially since it's a democracy here. So there are a lot of beggars in the street, especially old people, but you can see gypsy children too. I guess the government of my country has too many "worries" to care about them.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

jtchen85

jtchen85

Moogle

I don't like seeing beggars. It's a pathetic sight and they get no sympathy for me. Just about any job, even minimum wage at K-Mart or McDonalds doing janitorial work, would get them more money but they just don't feel like working.

Signature

Beggars lack motivation. It they really tried they could get a job, but they just don't have the ambition to do anything about their situation. Ideally nobody would give them money and they'd realise that they have to find another way, but as long as begging works, beg they will.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.