Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Pluto Not a Planet? - Minitokyo

Pluto Not a Planet?

Should Pluto stay planet or be labeled a Dwarf?

Planet
48 votes
Dwarf Planet
38 votes

Only members can vote.

This thread is closed for posting.

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 77 total items

adeline94

adeline94

KiraXLacus Fan

i think they should put the pluto thing aside first and concentrate on the black holes and comets. who cares bout other planets when our own life is at risk?

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Jupiter cannot be classified as any star because it does not have the necessary mass and therefore internal gravity/pressure to initiate atomic fusion.

As for whether Pluto should remain a planet, I think that it is a good thing that we have reached a more clarified definition of "planet," as it marks another step in our increased understanding of our universe. Pluto's status in that respect should have little consequence so long we continue to study it, as we are with the New Horizon mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

iyeru42

iyeru42

Goddess Plaything

In my terms of astronomy, Pluto is a planet. It's also the keeper of time, and the gateway to our solar system (being about the farthest object... but sometimes comes closer than other planets to the sun.) I'd rather not bring mythology into this thread, so I guess I could stop there.

I hope this doesn't continue.

Quote: Jupiter cannot be classified as any star because it does not have the necessary mass and therefore internal gravity/pressure to initiate atomic fusion.

As for whether Pluto should remain a planet, I think that it is a good thing that we have reached a more clarified definition of "planet," as it marks another step in our increased understanding of our universe. Pluto's status in that respect should have little consequence so long we continue to study it, as we are with the New Horizon mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt.

Uhh, no. Jupiter although cannot be classified as a star in terms of necessary mass... it CAN be classified as a star due to the right gasses and such in it.

Uh-huh, I meant to say that.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

A star is defined by its self-sustained nuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium to produce the necessary expansionary force to counteract its own gravitational collapse, a process which generates heat and light, characteristics which further delineates stars from massive planets. Jupiter does not have internal thermonuclear reactions, ergo it is not a star. A body can have every gas imaginable, but so long as it does not reach the critical mass (~80 times the mass of Jupiter) and initiate nuclear fusion, it is only a massive body and cannot be deemed a star.

If everything that has the right mixture of gases is a star, then all the Jovian planets would be stars.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

::. Back in Singapore .::

Quote by EternalParadoxA star is defined by its self-sustained nuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium to produce the necessary expansionary force to counteract its own gravitational collapse, a process which generates heat and light, characteristics which further delineates stars from massive planets. Jupiter does not have internal thermonuclear reactions, ergo it is not a star. A body can have every gas imaginable, but so long as it does not reach the critical mass (~80 times the mass of Jupiter) and initiate nuclear fusion, it is only a massive body and cannot be deemed a star.

If everything that has the right mixture of gases is a star, then all the Jovian planets would be stars.

True but scientist have yet to confirm the gasses that is actually produce to make Jupiter... Only real thing they know of is that the gases are poisonous.. So basically Jupiter can be and cannot be identified as a star..

a big THANK YOU to my lovely and humorous friend,the irresistable Devilet X-P
Signature
No time to make a userpage....
Junkii member no. 16

for the normal person, I don't really think this changes very much...its gonna be crazy with the textbooks, museum exhibits and all how they have to change everything.

miffedplatypus

miffedplatypus

fenixreborn

Quote by anima241i just wanna say, that i think its a waste of money, finding out if pluto is a planet or not, we need that money instead of wasting it on astronomical research.....so yeah, and its kinda stupid, to me at least, i mean i was raised in astronomy hearing "pluto is the ninth PLANET from the sun etc etc.) so why all of a sudden say pluto is not a planet? it's really stupid, this is why i hate science....T.T

Just because a war is going on, does not mean science shouldn't move foreward.

And I learned all throughout school also that Pluto was the ninth planet, now it's been redefined. THat doesn't changed what I learned since they were going off of the information they had at the time.

"Mythology is psychology misread as biography."-Joseph Campbell
"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere."
— Albert Einstein
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."-Cicero

Its been a debate on weather pluto is a planet for some time to my knowlage but being its size. I say its not a planet. If It is a planet, then you could sayt that some others (planets) aswell that are in our solar system.

However, yes i'm glad that the term planet is more defined.

chibicow

chibicow

i_miss_MT_1.0

Pedantics really tick me off. As far as im concerned, science has every right to change and redefine whatever they heck the want. Ultimately, it will come down to whether people decide to keep saying its a planet! If you teach a bunch of kids in a community that what 'we' hold to be "cats" were "dogs" and "dogs" were "cats" would their identification of a cat or dog be false?

Quote: A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet..
~Shakespeare (if thats how the quote goes?)

Also, what significant difference will it make to the lives of the lay people? Or Another Quote: "And this effects my time in the house, how?" ~Big Brother *sarcasm*

Chibicow-san I agree. It won't hurt.

But it's just now a little lonelier out there with no pluto on our list of close planets :-(

http://plutomyspace.ytmnd.com/

Enjoy!

I think we must prepare ourselves to accept changes. A lot of time ago, Earth was flat and the center of Universe. Science changes and corrects itself.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

ShadowWraith

ShadowWraith

Samurai of Deep Shadow

Some scientists just got bored and one day decided they needed something to argue over.

I've often found that the vast majority of scientists are myopic morons that need to be right in order to give their life meaning. Often times at the expense of the truth.

As for Pluto being a planet, you make it sound as if the scientific community can define what you call Pluto. Planet or dwarf planet is all in the eye of the beholder. No one has the authority to even THINK they can define what a planet is and isn't.
As a matter of fact if science were really all it claimed to be there would be no 'definitions', because all they (definitions) do is narrow our view of the Universe.
The only way to conduct true science is to look at EVERTHING with the inoccence of a child. Never seeing the sky, for instance, but rather a vast expanse of blue. Only then can we ask the proper questions and find the proper answers.
But to think ANYONE can define a planet is absurd, arrogant, and cocky. Whoever proposed this question of planet or not should be shot (not necesarily killed), because regardless of whether it's a planet or not will not forward our intellect or scientific developement.

In short, if I want to call it a planet then it's a planet and if science doesn't like it they can kiss my ass.

Our time is dark, and our world chaotic but I will not be made a victim of this world.....

Scientist are despereate for media and public attention, thats why they demoted Pluto.
Its sad really :P

Apparently not.. hmm

Tinbad

Tinbad

Cold Hearted

Not really taking the time to read all posts, but a dwarf planet is still a planet.
Planet: orbits sun
Moon: Orbits planet

merged: 09-03-2006 ~ 05:58am

Quote by adeline94i think they should put the pluto thing aside first and concentrate on the black holes and comets. who cares bout other planets when our own life is at risk?

Not really at much of a risk than before from things out there. Its current events that are the problem.

This Pluto arguement has been going on since they descovered it, its nothing new.

Yeah its BS that Pluto isn't a planet anymore. If I was Pluto I'd be pissed.

we're learning that in SS class. and i wonder why pluto isnt considered a planet anymore..the textbook says its too small,but who cares? it has moons,any planet with moons is called a planet..it confuses me lots.

Astrologica

Astrologica

Sorry, I'm in another castle.

Quote by griffon

Quote by Astrologica(Astrology parenthesis)

It doesn't matter that much what astronomy decides, since it's a separate thing from astrology (though they are very linked)

The link between the two broke almost four hundred years ago.

I for one think astrology is buckus anyway, one thing which confirms this is the fact that most charts used to derive horiscopes and such are three thousand years out of date.

Let me put it into perspective. I was born in late April. According to mainstream astrology my corresponding sign should be taurus....however since there is a 26,000 year cycle in which the Earth's axial wobble changes the positions of the constellations in the sky, my "true" sign is then pisces. This is but one argument against the validity of astrology.

I think all horoscopes suck as well. I've known people who can get a grasp of "the future" with it, but I don't believe that either.
And I meant they're linked because they're related to celestial bodies... >___<
I also have to make good efforts to believe supernatural/esoteric/blablabla stuff. There's a part of me that'll never believe...

What interests me is how much information it can provide about a person's psique. You know, with the moon affecting the sea, our watery brains must be affected by all those chunks of stuff flying out there too...
And, like science, it's not about if it holds the truth or not, or its validity, it just "works" for a determined purpouse. In my case, it helps me understand others. ^^
In the worst case- scenario, at least I consider it as an interesting subject.

gaaaaa~

Pluto planet, or mickey will stay sad.

It feels strange growing up knowing there are 9 planets, and now suddenly scientists say there's 8.

who cares. it's a rock.

teko

teko

"POCHI"

I want Pluto to stay a planet, so all the study I did over it's gravity and Oxygen level and other crap at highschool wouldn't be useless ;_;

The only thing this accomplished was making low budget schools text books even more dated, and causing high budget schools to buy more books instead of other necessities

Wow. My head hurts from all that hydro-blah-blah talk. I am interested in what you're all saying, really, but when there are too many in such a condensed space and I can't pronounce half of them ... woah ... ><

Quote by chibicowPedantics really tick me off. As far as im concerned, science has every right to change and redefine whatever they heck the want. Ultimately, it will come down to whether people decide to keep saying its a planet! If you teach a bunch of kids in a community that what 'we' hold to be "cats" were "dogs" and "dogs" were "cats" would their identification of a cat or dog be false?

For the most part I agree; it's all semantics.
Even so semantics help to define how we consider things right? I mean, a 'car' can be a hunk of metal on wheels or a mode of transportation. With the Pluto, the scientists are just redefining how we look at. For example, if they had some huge experiment on planets, then they wouldn't include it because it's not a 'planet'. (a lot of people said 'demotion')

Quote by chibicowQuote: A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet..
~Shakespeare (if thats how the quote goes?)

Yes, but that's because something called a 'rose' is still a 'rose'. As in it still has the petals, the smell, grows from the earth, etc. It's the parameters that define the 'rose'. (Does that make any sense? 'Fartwad is red and has velvet petals .. smells fragrant ...") I think my point is that if things don't meet certain criteria then it can't be whatever it's supposed to be.
Yeah, that's it. It's about what it can and can't be/has and doesn't have.
(I'm sorry if that made no sense whatsoever!)

Quote by chibicowAlso, what significant difference will it make to the lives of the lay people? Or Another Quote: "And this effects my time in the house, how?" ~Big Brother *sarcasm*

I'm sure that it's significant for certain people, astrologers and astronomers for example. But for me, no. I'm more into mytholoogy. (now, if they decided Pluto wasn't a God, oooh boy.)

Quote by YoungPhenixYeah its BS that Pluto isn't a planet anymore. If I was Pluto I'd be pissed.

If Pluto was an 'entity' and were able to be pissed/annoyed at our ruling, I think it would be a much greater entity than us humans, so why would it care what us puny humans think?

Oh, hey my arguments mixed up huh? Yes, I'm annoyed that Pluto's not a 'planet' anymore. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it (now, who else said that?)

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 77 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.