Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Definition of "Vector" and "Doujinshi"? - Minitokyo

Definition of "Vector" and "Doujinshi"?

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Unlike many of minitokyo's inhabitants, I can not read/understand Japanese. Hence, I don't know what doujinshi means.
I'm also not sureof the strict definition of vector here. So, I'm not too sure where I should submit my work, as I did use vector layers in my work.
Would someone who know please help me?

PS. Couldn't find a general "Help me" forum, just this Bug Reports.

If everybody knows just who you are, then your walk on role becomes a major part. Have you ever attempted to be yourself? When everybody wants you to be someone else... Going up and down and back again..

asinine

asinine

++_Sleeveless Vampire_ ++

Anyway you should have post this at The Arts or Minitokyo forum for better response...
Its not a bug that you dont know whats vectors or doujins XD

Heres an explanation on vectors

Quote by kuroimisaVectoring is a medium.
It's basically tracing over something using mathematical points and when you enlarge it, it never loses quality. The opposite is bitmap, which is made of pixels.
(so all the images on Minitokyo are not vectors lol, because they are bitmap- but the original files members have worked on should be vectors :))

People like to use vectors for the following reasons:

- You can clean up a scan
(Get rid of all the scan noise, texture, imperfections)
- You don't have to extract
(since you're tracing over what you want, you're already "cutting it out")
- They are high quality
- It's somewhat easier to integrate everything if everything is sharp edged or soft edged depending on how you vector
(eliminates problems about integration of scan and foreground)
- You can reconstruct missing parts
(get rid of text covering scans, if an arm is missing you can draw it)
- You can draw anything.
(swirls, anything :3)
- You have a bit more flexibility with vectors
(You can change bits- for instance, I like changing colours like changing a pair of pants from black to white)

Vectors have also most usually been mistaken for as a style when it's actually a medium.

Vectors have connotations of "clean, funky, new"- and it seems pretty cool depending on what you decide to do.
Mostly for me, it's the high quality nature of vectors I like :3

And Doujinshi

Quote by kuroimisaIt depends on how you trace it, lol.

If you trace with with a pen tool (ie. computer based tracing) then that's definitely a vector.

If you literally trace with tracing paper and a pen or pencil, then no, I wouldn't consider as doujinshi.

Doujinshi is more like your personal impression of a particular character or thing. It's most likely to have been a creation of your imagination, rather than a direct translation (ie. tracing).

The most common ways of doing doujinshi I guess~

* Sketches - just raw sketches of what your impression of the character should be like
* Sketches + coloured pencil or rendering - your character comes more into realisation
* Sketches + scan + colour via computer - many scan in their sketches and then either trace over the sketch (to make the lines finer) or just colour it in (leaving the raw sketch/ pencil lines) using a graphics program.
* Tablet - some people draw on a tablet which means you don't have to scan anything in~ and then colour it in on computer too.

Apart from sketching there are other way of doing doujinshi, depending on what medium you choose- using ink, watercolour, paint, markers- I won't go on forever, but I guess my personal interpretation of doujinshi is an artwork that is pretty much from scratch, can borrow ideas from other places, but is generally derived from your imagination :D

Yea i cant make a better explanation than hers
Lol....
YOu got to love Kuroimisa XD

At the end of the day, i would always turn around and say.... "Egao Saku... "
Signature
Co-Administrator of MTSingapore
<3 Me Luv U Sooo Muchi Hino-Chan!

Thank you. Those are really good definitions, but it doesn't really help me unfortunately OX
I traced the original image using vectors, right, but then I coloured underneath the black vectors, so it was then a colou image. So under what would I classify it under? I have also previously submitted a similar one here: Mokona [manga vector]

So perhaps I have placed my original one under the wrong place?
Where would you suggest I put the new one? It's of the same theme & quality, (xxxHolic xD), and used the same techniques.

If everybody knows just who you are, then your walk on role becomes a major part. Have you ever attempted to be yourself? When everybody wants you to be someone else... Going up and down and back again..

asinine

asinine

Quote by juniperberryThank you. Those are really good definitions, but it doesn't really help me unfortunately OX
I traced the original image using vectors, right, but then I coloured underneath the black vectors, so it was then a colou image. So under what would I classify it under? I have also previously submitted a similar one here: Mokona [manga vector]

So perhaps I have placed my original one under the wrong place?
Where would you suggest I put the new one? It's of the same theme & quality, (xxxHolic xD), and used the same techniques.

You basically traced the art so it is very much a vector art.
Even if you colored it... it will still fall on the vector category :D

Doujinshi is basically something that is really from your imagination and starts from scrtch, no tracing from other works just pure raw art.. ;)

Signature

Ok then. Thank you <3

Will put it up now =D

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Lol... whoa *_*

Just to simplify things down to the very basics, you submit anything under vector which you have traced directly from an existing image. Yeah- you can even put your own original images "vectored" under Vector Art > Original.

If it's an image you drew from scratch, we'd not be too fussy about whether it's vector or doujinshi (since vector's just only a medium), but if it's from an original existing image, you should definitely post that in vector art, to show that it's from an existing image.
(When people browse vector art, they know that nearly all the vectors are of existing images but cleaned up. When people browse doujinshi/ fanart, they believe they are looking at people's own creations)

^__^ *cookies*

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Very helpful ^_^ + muchly appreciated Kuro ^^ =3

Cookies~! =D

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Unfortunately, it's not stated too well in the Policy or FAQ... but what I understand the difference is that vectors are created mostly (if not all) with the pen tool, usually traced from a pre-existing image which you didn't create yourself, whereas doujinshi is basically what you've drawn from your imagination (it could be done in pencils, watercolour, on the computer etc.)

but then what if you draw it by hand, referring to an existing image?

like what happens is that i find a picture i like on the net, then i kinda just draw freehand what i see. It looks just like the original (so it's not from my imagination, well maybe just a few feelings changed) think you might get my point.

so what would that be considered?

asinine

asinine

Quote by ParadizeXIbut then what if you draw it by hand, referring to an existing image?

like what happens is that i find a picture i like on the net, then i kinda just draw freehand what i see. It looks just like the original (so it's not from my imagination, well maybe just a few feelings changed) think you might get my point.

so what would that be considered?

Hmm...Usually Freehand drawing would be in the doujinshi...
But since it is drawn from a picture.. it is still like tracing.. so it would fall on the vectoring section
Vectors are expected to look exactly or at most parts look like the original.. just that it is to be cleaned and neat.. unobstructed by the background or whatsoever...
Drawn in whatever style you use... as long as it is from an image it lies in the vector section...

Although... it still very unclear and lots of doubts about the Doujinshi and Vectors section ;)

Signature

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

@ParadizeXI: actually I think it would be in doujinshi, because you still drew it yourself (as long as you didn't physically put the paper on top and trace every line and colour), and tracing by eyeballing would still count as doujinshi.

yes the policy needs to be updated methinks. But my definition of vector art is that it's done on the computer with the pen tool. And the policy did hint vaguely about how other people can use your vector in their own wallpapers (which you probably can't with hand-drawn pictures)

UFFF. THANKS.. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THESE DEFINITIONS..

I'm glad other people can be helped with this =D

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.