Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Romeo & Juliet: The anime or the original play? - Minitokyo

Romeo & Juliet: The anime or the original play?

Tagged under Romeo x Juliet

Which do you prefer: the anime or play?

The Romeo & Juliet play
1 votes
Romeo x Juliet the anime
13 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

My vote is to the anime. I was never a fan of Shakespeare's work, except for maybe A Midsummers Night Dream, and Hamlet isn't that bad either. He is praised for writing the greatest love story, being Romeo and Juliet, but I loathed this play. It was so absurd and the fact that the play only took up a very minimal timeline just got on my last nerve. The only part of the play I liked was the fact that Juliet treasured Romeo more than her own life.

However, falling in love and getting married within a few days just seems annoying to me. Shakespeare obviously didn't grasp the time it takes to develop love.

That's why I liked the anime better, because it convinced me that Romeo and Juliet were in love, a lot more than the play could have ever done.

In any case, the anime, to me, was so much better. Yeah, I'm sure some people can't believe I'm even comparing an anime adaption to "the" Shakespeare, but I like the anime version - as compared to Shakespeares - that much.

Any thoughts on this subject? Which do you prefer, and why?

TrigunPreacherGirl

TrigunPreacherGirl

Alchemic Heartbeat

I understand what you're talking about; the way that it seemed Romeo fell for Juliet appeared a bit forced to me, as well (like he was on rebound, and using Juliet as second-best). However, keep in mind that people didn't live as long during Shakespeare's time as they usually do now (bubonic plague, and death during childbirth, etc.), that it was a kind of "seize the day!" thing with love.
Additionally, consider Romeo for what he is: a hormone-ravaged young man. Rational isn't what I'd call his state of mind, if you ask me.
Since I have yet to actually see the anime adaptation outside of screen shots and a general premise, I'm going to remain neutral on this topic.
However, one thing I adored about the play was the language used, especially since I love puns and words/languages in general.
Take care,
~"TreaGirl".

*Insert random inspirational message here, please!*
Disregarding reality, one fact at a time! I have every reason to be grateful, yet none to be happy.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html#

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

Yes, I do like Shakespeares gift for words and the form he used in figurative language. I really like his referance to snow on a raven's back the most. Yes, I understand that living long was a seldom occurance, and Romeo being a young hormone-ravaged boy, but what about Juliet, is my issue.

It was a spur of the moment mistake to me, and in this light, it's kinda of like Shakespeare didn't understand a woman's heart. However, I did like the concept of the play, but I like the execution of the anime better.

Thanks for your view.

I like the anime, gives the play a cool twist :) But I've always liked Shakespeare too so I really can't decide heh

TrigunPreacherGirl

TrigunPreacherGirl

Alchemic Heartbeat

Quote by xxKurumiYes, I do like Shakespeares gift for words and the form he used in figurative language. I really like his referance to snow on a raven's back the most. Yes, I understand that living long was a seldom occurance, and Romeo being a young hormone-ravaged boy, but what about Juliet, is my issue.

It was a spur of the moment mistake to me, and in this light, it's kinda of like Shakespeare didn't understand a woman's heart. However, I did like the concept of the play, but I like the execution of the anime better.

Thanks for your view.

Ah, that's what you're talking about. I doubt anyone could completely understand something from the opposite gender's point of view, even if we try. Are you saying the marriage was a mistake? Honestly, I agree; it seems as if Romeo was trying to force his way into marriage with her (especially when she compares his questions to the lightning during the balcony scene). I really do look forward to seeing the anime even more, now :) . Thank you for your reply.

*Insert random inspirational message here, please!*
Disregarding reality, one fact at a time! I have every reason to be grateful, yet none to be happy.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html#

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

No problem, it's my pleasure. And I'm 100% on that marriage being a mistake. I felt that Romeo was kinda of just a whiny boy tyring to get over - ah, was her name Roseline, or something? Juliet seemed somewhat true in her feelings, if not a bit naive. I do think even if he had just spanned it a few months, the play would have had a bigger impact, sort of how the anime plays on it.

Yeah, and I guess Shakespeare can't, really. But, his thoughts lacked even somewhat of an interest in them.

Again, no problem.

Alden

Alden

Lose the Pride.

Shakespeare was a literary genius. And its because of him that I had a really difficult sophomore year. Darn you Mr. My worlds a stage! ARGGH!

Anyway, I like his play better than the anime. All the anime did was add length to the love story and gave the action an extra flare. I like anime better than literature but I would go with Shakespeare on this one.

Click ----> Japanese Lover! ^_^

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Quote by xxKurumi

However, falling in love and getting married within a few days just seems annoying to me. Shakespeare obviously didn't grasp the time it takes to develop love.

Given that Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy, it only adds to it all relatively speaking, it has been quite a while since i have read Romeo and Juliet and i havent seen the anime so i can't really make a comparison on the two

Also love isn't always slow, it can be love at first sight type of thing and everything just goes from there (to which i've heard a few stories of such a thing happening)

Signature Image

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

Quote: Also love isn't always slow, it can be love at first sight type of thing and everything just goes from there (to which i've heard a few stories of such a thing happening)

Of, of course love isn't slow. I mean, relatively is it, but in some cases, it can be first sight. But, that's not what I'm saying. Making the commitment of marriage in only a few days is what got to me.

I think the marriage - not the love - was a mistake.

Alden

Alden

Lose the Pride.

I think the fact that both Romeo and Juliet died was a mistake.

Click ----> Japanese Lover! ^_^

I like Shakespeare but Romeo and Juliet was never my favorite play of his. It's just so damned famous, which is a shame because it's boring as hell for the most part and he's got so many other wonderful works.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

I actually didn't like Romeo and Juliet the play that much at all. (I don't mind Shakespeare, I liked Hamlet). I read it in grade 9, so it's been a while. But from what I remember, it's not as... good at everyone makes it out to be imo. I'm just as baffled as you as to why they call it the "greatest love story of all time", because I didn't get any feelings of "love" from it. I guess maybe the idea of forbidden love is interesting?

And also, it's a tragedy. Yet, I didn't sense much tragedy from it. I mean, yeah it's sad that they killed themselves, but it's really quick and kinda for a stupid misunderstanding reason that makes it more... funny than tragic (hey, I'm not sadistic, it's not haha funny, but more of an ironic funny). I guess on Juliet's part, I felt sorry for her, because I think she really did love Romeo (or had a good crush on him at least), but then again, she's only 14, so it's more like teenage love to me. That, and she's rather innocent and naive.

Romeo on the other hand, I didn't feel sorry for him at all. I hated the Romeo in the play. The impression he left on me was this rich, rash, whiny, teenager who was bored and looking for something to do; and when he saw this pretty girl, he tried to woo her. (Don't forget that he was still pining for this "Rosalind" right before he met Juliet) And Juliet, being the young girl who has probably never been wooed before, fell for his words (which I didn't find terribly romantic, it's cheesy if nothing else, maybe it's the old English or something). The most romantic guy, yeah right! I dunno what Juliet saw in Romeo (maybe he's good-looking or something, and he's good with words I guess).

One scene that's particularily memorable was when Romeo was exiled, and when he heard the news, he went to the Friar and started whining about "nuuuuu, anything but 'exiled'!". Maybe it had to do with the fact that my English teacher had us listening to a tape of the play being read out loud, and the person doing Romeo was literally whining >__>

=====

Okay, I'm done ranting about the play, I think.

Now for the anime. Where to start. I love the many twists Gonzo put in it. To start with: the setting. It's futuristic, yet kinda archaic (reminds me of Florence Italy with the red roofs I think)

I love the new situations that Romeo and Juliet were in. Not only were they from feuding families, but also (spoiler.....), which makes it all that more interesting and dire (it's not just because of a petty family feud anymore).

The Juliet in the anime is a lot more independent than the play Juliet. I think it has a lot to do with the time period. But the play Juliet was naive, docile, and innocent. The anime Juliet, althogh naive in some aspects, takes leadership and even takes up a sword (I like the Akaikaze twist too).

The Romeo in the anime seems naive as well ('cause he's been kinda sheltered most of his life, so he's oblivious to a lot of things). But he's kind and sweet and wants to do his best to make life better for everyone. He has a good sense of justice. And he's not whiny like the play Romeo.

Romeo and Juliet certainly have a lot more interactions in the anime (but then again, the anime had a lot more time than the play to develop things). But to me, it still seems like puppy love than true romantic love. Maybe 'cause they're too young or something (that, and I don't really believe in true love at first sight). But they look cute together.

The twist with Escalus was interesting. Though I wish they had spent more time on it. But then again, for the most of the first half, the series focuses on Juliet and Romeo.

I like the twist with Hermione, Cordelia (Juliet's "nurse"), Mercutio, and Tybalt as well ^^

Oh, lastly, I also like how some characters are named after characters in other Shakespearean plays, like Curio, Cordelia, Ophelia, Portia (Romeo's mom), Antonio etc.

I think Gonzo's really good at adaptations. I loved Gankutsuo (Count of Monte Cristo), and Samurai 7 (based on the movie). And now RxJ is one of my faves ^^ I hope they do more adaptations of classics.

Okay, I'm done.

The anime is cooler, why? lol becouse it has AKI-KAZE! XD

umm
i like the anime..because i think teh anime version was more hapier than the original play..
at least romeo and juliet in the anime didn.t die in such a regertable feeling..
well,that's just my opinion..ehe

hajimemizuki

hajimemizuki

~Forget everything~

The anime's way better but it was Shakespeare's work that they took the idea from..still the anime's better....plays make me sleepy.

With my eyes,I'll watch over my future that had been set.With my hands,I'll rip my path and make my way.

Gonzo so creative! It was better than real Romeo & Juliet which created by Shakespeare!

pandemonium4146

pandemonium4146

Will Pelt You With Pebbles

... yes, the anime' was a lot more better than the play...

truthfully, i wasn't too pleased with shakespeare's work...

romeo and juliet getting married only a few days after they met... (juliet was only 14 then)... romeo falling in love with the juliet after he just got dumped by rosalind (or was it rosaline?)...

... and a whole lot of other shit...

anyhow, I agree completely with MapleRose....

"It's like... it's like... unbelievable."
- I stutter in disbelief. >.>

temarigenius

temarigenius

~Motivation Please <3~

I choose the play, because the anime is kinda weird... especially the ending... I don't really get it... >.<

Signature Image
dgrayman-black-fighters vampire-knight jigoku-tsushin-mt sword-shana-lily
"Within the Truth hides the Lie... Within the Lies hides the Truth." --- Rokudo Mukuro

I like them both honestly. The anime gave the original play some more depth and feeling. The play was a bit brief. In Romeo and Juliet's defense, people back then were expected to marry very young. No one ever explained "matters of the heart" to them. They probably wouldn't recognize a crush from true love, so it wasn't completely their fault.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.