Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Music: Anybody Listening to Metal? - Minitokyo

Music: Anybody Listening to Metal?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 67 total items

Soileyh

Soileyh

Wolf of Loneliness

>>why, I'm going to try start this thread since I found an interesting numbers of whom stating some Metal songs as their current listening, or this and that Metal band is their favourite...yay! We do not meet an anime-manga-cum-Metal fan every day, you know. I know I have seen a thread on favourite bands, but, this is Metal I'm talking about... :)

Just post on whatever related to Metal bands and music here, and feel free to discuss. Perhaps something like your favourite Metal band, why you like the music, etc etc. Do include links in case there are others who are interested.

For a start-off:

I listen to a lot of Metal bands from many subgenres - Symphonic, Gothic, Death - almost anything, but many of my favourite bands are from Finland (HIM, Children of Bodom, Ensiferum, Apocalyptica, Stratovarius). I think among the newly-emerged bands on the scene, I think the Dutch Epica is a great band. Their operatic female leading vocals, combined with string arrangements, pianos - is just good: an example is Cry for the Moon- more than enough to heal the wounds after Nightwish becomes Tarja-less and Vibeke Stene left Tristania for her personal dreams.

Hey, Muse is also a Metal band, I daresay. Now, which radio says Metal is not cool? :B

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I'm not really a metal fan myself. I liked it when metal was part of the "hair band" era, now that is elevator music and in the oldies or pop section these days -_- other bands, metallica, guns and roses, but there again I think they are hard rock these days I can't remember I like the japanese metal band called Maximum the Hormone I learned about them from death note, as often with me and music I've learned a lot from anime and foreign films in the past, well probably movies in general.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

I love every type of metal except Black Metal.
Gives me strength and a boost. The guitar-playing and screaming is cool to me.
I have favs from Finland too, yet Korn, Metallica, and Rob Zombie are a few i like too.
Im lazy now to type down the others. Lol.

Marked by the outsider.Signature Image

Soileyh

Soileyh

Wolf of Loneliness

From Japan - The Loudness (I often spelled out The Darkness when I want to say their name!). I'm also into such type of music. Like Guns N' Roses. There's a different kind of feeling attributed to bands from that era, I daresay.

well...i guess my favorite Metal Band is Disturbed x333

It doesn't matter who they are...i fucking kill them all!

Quote by Soileyh I think among the newly-emerged bands on the scene, I think the Dutch Epica is a great band. Their operatic female leading vocals, combined with string arrangements, pianos - is just good: an example is Cry for the Moon- more than enough to heal the wounds after Nightwish becomes Tarja-less and Vibeke Stene left Tristania for her personal dreams.

I love you. IloveyouIloveyouIloveyouIloveyou.
Well, Epica are my favorite band. ^_^; They're not new, as such, but yeah, Design Your Universe has pretty much earnt them their place among the more well-known metal bands around.
Also, Cry for the Moon is my all-time favorite song. x3

If you take a look at my Last.fm list... (the number on the right being the no. of plays)

Epica - 2,594
Opeth - 1,414
Bloodbath - 1,351
Draconian - 1,204
Behemoth - 1,107
Nightwish - 1,020
Within Temptation - 936
Cradle of Filth - 915
System of a Down - 779
Green Day - 776
Arch Enemy - 752
Arch of Hell - 633
Slipknot - 599
Bring Me the Horizon - 598
Trail of Tears - 572

...you'll see that, besides Green Day, every single band there is some kind of metal. I'd say I fit into this thread rather nicely. ^_^;
The reason Green Day are high is because I used to be mad over them from 5th to 7th grade. I listen to them very rarely nowadays, but I still think they're great.

Quote by Schnottie69well...i guess my favorite Metal Band is Disturbed x333

Disturbed are awesome, but I wouldn't call them primarily a metal band. ;)

dslassey

dslassey

The Crazy Gringo

Who's brought metal up into my house? ;D

In my opinion, metal is kinda hard to get into at first (although there are accessable metal bands out there), but once you're in, you ain't goin' out, daddy-o. I really used to hate metal (sadly, I wasn't as open-minded with music as I am now). Opeth helped me get into it. But nowadays, I wouldn't count them too metal-ish. I'd classify them as progressive rock with death metal tendencies. Their newest stuff gets proggier and proggier. Not that I'm complaining, since a majority of my music is prog rock. :B

When it comes to metal, I've been leaning towards the more brutal subgenres - bands like Strapping Young Lad (probably my favorite metal band), Meshuggah (find me a heavier band), Protest The Hero (fcking speed demon technical metal), etc. I wonder if anyone would concider Mastodon metal.... such a manly band though. ;D

As someone who dabbles in music as a hobby and passion, I've been finding Nu Metal to be increasingly awesome - there are some good bands of the genre, yes. But what's really got me interested is the basis behind it - blending heavy metal with hip-hop, rap, techno, dance. In other words, adding modern elecronic-oriented music with traditional heavy metal. I for one love me some techno (and DJing is a fcking blast), so mixing those elements with metal is too good to be true. That doesn't mean all of the Nu Metal musicians do it correctly. =/ Nu Metal, here I come!~

But whoa, then symphonic metal throws me a blind-sinded fast ball! The fact that they are incorporating orchestral elements into heavy metal compositions is impressive. I get a lot of people dissing the genre, but considering how a majority of the symphonic metal bands have one or two dudes writing ALL of the material is mind blowing. I'd like to see just anyone write a full orchestral symphany alone.

As you can probably tell, I love my metal. It ranges from the intellectual and technical, to the melodic and beautiful, and all the way to the dumbfun of Power Metal (listen to "I Rule" by Tarot and you'll get what I mean xD ).

Quote: I for one love me some techno (and DJing is a fcking blast), so mixing those elements with metal is too good to be true.

You'd probably like Blood Stain Child - they're some kind of Japanese heavy techno scream metal crossover. I'd recommend listening to INNOCENCE first. :P

Quote: I get a lot of people dissing the genre

Stop right there - I've got my assasination gear and everything, I just need to know where I can find them. Quickly, if you will.

dslassey

dslassey

The Crazy Gringo

The people who got a bone to pick with Symphonic Metal either hate on the symphonic/operatic side of it, or hate on the metal side of it. It seems that it's hard to find a middle ground with a majority of people (then again, any form of metal is a niche genre).

For instance, I get guitar players I know who've given Nightwish a listen. They like the heavy metal parts, but complain about the opera-ish singing of Tarja (though I'm not too keen on her, after listening to the new gal). But then I get some singer friends I know who praise the opera quality singing, but can't stand the heavy metal riffs. When it comes to Nightwish, my only complaint is that there's not enough of Marco Heitala's singing parts. <3 But I guess that's why Tarot is in existance (Marco's power metal band that's been around since the 80's). ;D

Armour - Madder Mortem

You listen to that woman sing, and tell me you don't get goosebumps. I dare you. When it comes to female-fronted metal bands, I can be a little iffy (I hate to say this, but most of them sound the same). But Madder Mortem was a surprise that has left my quite pleased. The singer has a mature and earth-shattering voice, while the band is heavy as fck, hile weeding into melodic smooth passages with ease (and the heavy moments are almost Meshuggah-ish in power \m/). I dunno about anyone else, but it's more common for a female-fronted metal band to be in the symphonic or power subgenre; so it's a treat when ya find one that isn't, haha.

CHECK IT OUT, YO

Well, I really have to try hard that I can find something else than metal from my closet. I like almost all kind of metal, because my older brother listens metal and of course I followed his example. :D And it wouldn't be any miracle that my father comes soon to my room and reminds me how loud my bass is^^
And yes, I have many things in my closet..

Quote: They like the heavy metal parts, but complain about the opera-ish singing of Tarja (though I'm not too keen on her, after listening to the new gal).

Baww, I don't like Anette Olzon at all. On the other hand, I love Tarja's singing very, very much - she's certainly the best singer of her genre that I know, the next best that I've heard being Simone Simons (Epica) and Floor Jansen (After Forever).

From what I've seen, though, Symphonic Metal is a genre that generally has something that can please most people regardless of whatever else they might listen to. There are pompus, operatic pieces like Ghost Love Score by Nightwish, brutal pieces like Semblance of Liberty by Epica and then there are songs that cater for a more mainstream audience like Unleashed, also by Epica, which is their latest single. There are also more pop-like compositions such as the songs on Nightwish's 'Dark Passion Play' ('Bye Bye Beautiful' is a good example there) or on Sirenia's 'The 13th Floor'.
Hmm... actually, After Forever's latest album would probably be a great compromise for people who don't like the operatic elements but still like the heavy guitar - the song 'Who I Am' would be a good place to start there. ;)

I prefer anime OST... Sorry...

Soileyh

Soileyh

Wolf of Loneliness

Quote by dslasseyThe people who got a bone to pick with Symphonic Metal either hate on the symphonic/operatic side of it, or hate on the metal side of it. It seems that it's hard to find a middle ground with a majority of people (then again, any form of metal is a niche genre).

Well, I love the fact that it's a combination of both, the same way I love Nu-Metal :)

Quote: Armour - Madder Mortem

*running for more afterwards!* Cannot agree more- like you said, it's a pleasant surprise. When I was listening to this, my ears tried to strip the band from the vocalist because I wanted to hear her- it's like jazz, but still far too edgy to be jazz. Though still too far from karaoke-able *like, ahaha* and extreme, she sounds more natural and believable than most female vocalists in Metal I knew - they're either operatic (like Nightwish's Tarja Turunen) or growling (like Arch Enemy's Angela Gossow). Thanks for sharing this!

Him is my favourite band of finland with negative the 69 eyed and lovers and apocaliptika ahahaa alls XD but i don;t think that him is metal

Soileyh

Soileyh

Wolf of Loneliness

Quote by soubixcosHim is my favourite band of finland with negative the 69 eyed and lovers and apocaliptika ahahaa alls XD but i don;t think that him is metal

Nice selection you listen to there soubixcos! By "negative" (and by making assumption from yours stated bands here), did you mean Type O Negative? ~(^_^)~ Well, I think HIM is Metal, but they're becoming more mainstream-oriented now, so they are toned down somehow (by becoming mainstream-oriented I mean their songs become chorus-laden with lots of hooks, sounds 'radio-friendly', blahblahblah). However, if I still remember correctly, according to some guy from the punk band Bad Religion, if you wanna play punk, cut down on your guitar solos to less than 8 bar in length since anything with guitar solos more than that is Metal, so... HIM is definitely Metal by that definition LOL

God, I love Rage Against The Machine! They haven't come up with studio releases for God knows how long, I miss their music damn so much *wait, RATM is Metal, right? I think they are, to some extent Tom Morello's turntable-imitating guitar playing concerns...*

Rage Against the Machine... I'd call them Alternative, but their music covers both rock and metal. Yeah, they can stay in this topic. :P
I haven't listened to them a lot, but I heard 'Killing in the Name Of' in one of Zero Punctuation's game reviews a while ago before deciding to listen to the whole thing on YouTube. It's a good song. ^_^;

Legion of Hetheria? I like Haggard, Aina and Nightwish too.

I listen to various groups:

Helloween
Metallica
Children of Bodom
Ensiferum
Eluveitie
Hammerfall
Gamma Ray
Rhapsody (of Fire)
Lordi
Soilwork
Epica
Yngwie Malmsteen
Pantera
Korpiklaani
Megadeth
Judas Priest
Sonata Arctica
Iron Maiden
Manowar
Stratovarius
Anthrax
Edguy
Grave Digger

Maybe I listen to many others, but I don't remember them...

asdfsdafsdaf

kmt89cccp

kmt89cccp

I'm a Satan in f**cking world

Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Moi dix Mois

beyondmeasure

From the mind comes the query.

I think you can call me a metal fan who listens to everything else but metal in his spare time. Still, I get my share of bands: Devin Townsend and affiliated groups, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Ark, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Iced Earth, Meshuggah, Metallica, even John Zorn (inasmuch as his collaborations with the so-called "Moonchild" trio, which includes former Faith No More vocalist Mike Patton, sound more like metal than, say, jazz - see, for instance, his Six Litanies for Heliogabalus).

I do listen to metal sometimes. But I listen to all different kind of musics.

metal is cool! I just don't like black metal that much. and i don't like it when the singers screech...it's kinda obnoxious and it makes me uncomfortable. if i listen to it in public i always think someone got hit by a car and is screaming.

pax1313

pax1313

I'll always be your servant, Oz.

well i love metal. every kind of it. some of my favs are kamelot for epic, lacuna coil, nightwish and after forever for
gothic, and well the classics, iron maiden, helloween, stratovarious and some others like sammael
arch enemy, childrem of boddom, craddle of filth and such.

The Will Of The Abyss Shall Keep You From Existence, Dear Alice.--pandora hearts.

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 67 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.