Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Drawing Tablets: which is a good buy? - Minitokyo

Drawing Tablets: which is a good buy?

what tablet do u use?

wacom cintiq visual tablet x display
2 votes
wacom brand (not cintiq)
12 votes
notebook sketch tablet
5 votes
other
3 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

I've used a drawing tablet once in my life and not even for a long period of time and I remember I didn't like it because it didnt come out as good as when i drew by hand (on paper).

i know there's the cintiq tablet at around $1000 +.
i was specifically interested in it because u can actually see your drawing and progress on the tablet instead of looking at the screen.
when i'm drawing, i dont look at my hand. i dont even remember it.. lol

but at the same time it feels kinda odd to look up instead of looking down when ur hand is um.. down. it's more like the position of it is odd.

problem? good tablets like the bamboo fun that is being sold at a reasonable price does not put a visual display on the tablet. i tried looking for other brAnds besides cintiq thAt offer displays on the tablet. but i cant find any.

so if u know any visual tablets that r good and can be bought at a better price than cintiq, let me know as well ok?

and since many people on MT have some experience with tablets, i want to ask
which tablet do u think is a good buy? and why?

Owner of: tou-no-uwaMember of: userpageskindesigns

weird12u

weird12u

..waitin in the bushes for her..

all i hear is good things from WACOM tablets but i personally use a tiny
bamboo one and it works for me just fine

how much money are you willing to spend?
Wacom Cintiq 21ux i really like that but it's spendy

so iwould just get a flatbed skanner since it's cheaper

i really hope i helped a little

Signature

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

u did, wei-chan >w< *hugs*

wacom is the one responsible for the bamboo and bamboo fun products i believe. at least thats what i saw em selling.
but yeah i know wacom is great.
i'm not willing to spend more than $250 on a tablet (at least my parents arent)
cuz if they were i'd have a ps3 by now.
not that ps3's r more important than drawing but i have a scanner so @w@ lol

i don't know what a "flatbed" scanner is though *i'm silly* i'll google it.
but since i wanna use manga studio, i'd like to have a tablet so i can make my comics easier.

is the tiny bamboo rlly rllyyyyy good?
because there's a bit of controversy between choosing either the bamboo fun (small) or (medium) and the Acad INTUOS4 Medium Pen Tablet which i think has wacom's logo on it. *hugs*

oh um here's a youtube video i saw (very helpful) of the Acad.
Yeah, Acad is also by wacom. XD in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz9Z5hrmQIw

and here's the WACOM CTE450K Black Bamboo Fun Tablet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UABH_Ue0eR4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17s6Lovu9OY&feature=related

and this one which is still bamboo but not bamboo fun i think: WACOM MTE450 Bamboo Pen Tablet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glUc0CoHfw

& http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9mp9S3kr4&feature=fvw <- i suggest reading the youtube comments for this. many of the comments r from people who actually hAve it already.

but geez. choices, choices...

weird12u

weird12u

..waitin in the bushes for her..

well my tiny bamboo one works just as good as the other ones (in my opinion) but i got mine for free so of coarse i'll love it (ya know?) but that's what i made that simple hamtaro one on.. then again i think that gives it more of a bad rep then a good one :x

as to the INTUOS4 i am not sure which logo it's got on it o.o since i never really "looked looked" at it XD so dont' hit me D:

a flatbed scanner (to my belief) is jsut a scanner that is flat (no duh) but it like works better or something ugh i don't even know i am just trying to help you

zomg tell me which one you end up deciding on k?

Signature

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

i'll tell u. lol i took so long editing the post above urs with youtube links @w@

But yeah, Acad is from wacom.

i'll definitely let u know which one i pick if i can actually choose one.
since i play video games so often and i draw with my dsi in that um thing with the frog icon, omg practice; i'm not too afraid of the tablets. but it certainly does decrease the quality of your art style some compared to paper (at least for novices) which is why cintiq is WANTED so much.

u got urs for free?! @w@

u drew hamtaro with tablet?!?! ZOMGH
i tried tablet and all i could maKE WAS stickfigures. i dunno what brand of tablet it was though.tricky thing is, different tablets work for different people, so if i buy one and dont like it, chances of me getting all my money back is like 0%. TwT

i heard there's something called the viz tablet? dunno @w@

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

I still have my Wacom Graphire 4 that I got a few years ago, which they don't make anymore (they replaced it with Bamboo/Bamboo fun). I've seen tablet PCs and stuff, and it looks pretty awesome, but too expensive for my budget. I'm fine sticking with what I have now. What's even more cool is the new Microsoft Surface, which isn't really a tablet, it's more like a touchscreen that you can draw/paint just with your hands (don't even have to use a pen)

I never really thought about looking at my hands or whatever when I first started using my tablet, it felt really natural to me and I had no problems adapting. But it depends on the person, some might take longer to adapt than others.

With intuos, there's more functions, but I think it's more expensive and "better" mostly because it's more pressure-sensitive. IMO Bamboo's pressure sensitivity (same as Graphire) is good enough for most casual artists. And it doesn't seem like pressure sensitivity is your problem ^^;;

If you have a Nintendo DS, you could also try this program called Colors, it uses your DS tablet like a pen to draw, so it might feel more natural to you.

I think you just need more time to adjust. And don't try to compare it to drawing on paper and consciously think about where your hands are.

sukasuki

sukasuki

huhu~

ahahha~ i never know how to use it at all

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

lol spam XD

@ MapleRose: The Microsoft Surface looks pretty awesome, but I think I'm more used to pens n pencils.
And I think ur right about the Acad Intuos. I had a rlly big feeling that since it's a bit newer and has more functions, it might be more helpful as a tablet than the bamboo. and it has many great reviews, the complaints only come from the "getting used to it" as quickly as the bamboo/bamboo fun.
And ur also right about it's not that complicated to get used to tablets. it's mainly about choosing between focusing on the drawing and being conscious of ur position. like in a video game (srry had to say) choosing between being conscious of the new buttons on a controller and focusing on the game itself on the screen.

and i completely forgot tablet pc's existed XD i should do some more research on those... @w@ though they r expensive. comparing prices, if u can get a tablet pc, u can get a cintiq.

thx for the advice, Maple :3

and thx for uh the support, belin-chan

and suki, X3 i havent used one since 7th grade and i only used it once. i'm 19 now. so we;re basically in the same spot. XD

intuos 4 4x6 is perfect size to use by me

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

is that the small? : o

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

Quote by sukitja-1994.......................(...)

and what's that supposed to mean? @.@

Intuos 4. It is THE best, excluding Cyntiq-types.

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

Quote by OgawaBurukkuIntuos 4. It is THE best, excluding Cyntiq-types.

Intuos it is then. lolz @w@ *writes a check* *is serious* *rlly*

I second OgawaBurukku, Intuos is great.

Cintiq might sound spiffy and good but for its price, I don't think it is worth it.

I have a Wacom Graphire (oldie ^^) and it works just fine for the drawings I do. Plus, it has a "cabin" in the tablet where you can store the pen - very useful!

If you already bought the Intuos, congratz on the buy^^

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

lol i didnt buy it "yet", but i still have some college spending to take care of, so of course that has to come first. but when i do get a tablet, i will definitely update the thread to let everyone know what it is and how it went (specifically because it'd be my real 1st time with a tablet).

i heard the wacom graphire was awesome even though it was old. but i also heard it's not as compatible with some of the newer stuff these days. but i think i saw on youtube that there was a way to tweak that. but i'm not sure. @w@

oh yeah, and in all the videos they gave a overview about the product but not a real example of someone using it and its results. so i found this rlly cool video of Wacom Intuos 4 (speed painting). So if u want to see it, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaq4pA_a9UQ

And if anyone is interested in Wacom Graphire as suggested by siswoac, here's the site with some info on its specs.

http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm

However, I've yet to find anything on youtube about it besides how to take it apart and modify it. @w@;

Oh, thanks for the links^^ The speed painting one has got me green with envy.

I don't know about compatibility issues with the Graphire. I have Windows Vista and it seems to run just fine. Of course, the driver that came in the CD with my Graphire no longer works so you'll have to download a new one from Wacom's site. You get this little box at the left side of your desktop which you press with your pen to get a keyboard-like box (much like the iPhone or iTouch).

Most of people serious about Art seem to be quite satisfied with their Intuos ^^ I'm still an amateur, so Graphire is just fine for me.

Also, you might not like how your drawings by tablet come out at first, but with practise, you'll get much better. Coordination gets better too. I seldom look down to my tablet now; you learn what point in the tablet is what point in the screen. I used to draw in paper with pencils but without changing lines' width so I'm still getting used to draw by changing pressure to change widths (did that even make sense?).

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

lol XD that makes perfect sense siswoac. i'm rlly thankful for such advice because what u stated is the part that makes me most nervous when it comes to tablets. it's the part about having to imagine where u r on the screen. @w@;
but like u say, it never comes out perfect at first but with a little practice, u can do some amazing stuff.

not saying i will absolutely never draw with pencil again. if u have a good scanner u can scan the work and do whatever editing, tracing, coloring, and other effects with the tablet which is more helpful than a touchpad mouse (definitely).

but i hope i can get used to it soon and make some awesome stuff with it drawing-wise as well. :3

and i'm glad u liked the links. i also went cwazy over the speed painting video >w<;;;; i was like "Wowww" for 6 minutes xD
but i also picked up some tricks from watching the video i never thought about before >w< but it'd be hard to do it without a tablet. lol..

4give me 4 saying so, but i think playing video games helps in practice of how to use a tablet : D
(is a game addict)
if u can get used to focusing on the screen instead of ur hands when u have the controller, then getting used to the tablet which puts u in a very similar situation should help too. is that what they call "hand-eye coordination" ? xD

Traditional Art is also beautiful, of course ^^ And there are many things machines can't do (yet).

Hmm... I have never thought about video games' relation with tablets. Even though you need to mind a lot more about how and where you put your pen on a tablet, I guess you could improve your hand-eye coordination with that. But... I still suck at finding X,Y,A,B buttons on my NDS XD

By the way, a friend of mine told me something really useful: if you're planning on spending thousands on a Cintiq, consider tablet PCs before.

Good luck if, after paying for college, you decide to buy a tablet. They're really lovely.

intuous 4 is the best, hands down

I agree the intuos 4 is great :D

also for the size it depends on how big your computer screen is

if you have a small computer screen i wouldn't recommend a large size

makiyasha

makiyasha

the [*SUmmeR*] SweeTneSS~*

lol.. wacom tablets are good in general and i use a bamboo myself and it is good enough for causual uses.
However i prefer the Graphire as it has a smoother surface.

of course the cintiq is the best but for people like me, i dont really like to use tablets as it feels odd somehow.

it also depends on how good the colouring program is too.
for me i highly reccomand using SAI easy paint tool, as it has really good blending settings

~[ThE heVenLy FeeL [Of]*~ SummEr~*
Plz look at this scan if u like shishi doumei cross!
http://forum.minitokyo.net/thread/57427/scan-from-shishi-doumei-cross-gentlemen-alliance-cross/
Signature

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

long time no see, maki-chan! +w+ *glomps*

@everyone: those r rlly awesome tips. >.< and intuos 4 apparently is winning (or won already)
but siswoac (and his friend) proposed a very good point: the cintiq is wanted but a tablet pc is a better buy if u cant afford cintiq. so, we know about tablets, but i know nothing about tablet pc's

does anyone know a good brand of tablet pc's made for artists?

wacom should be good enough

i use Wacom tablet A5 intuos, it's a very good product

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.