Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 need help ... rating my wallpaper - Minitokyo

need help ... rating my wallpaper

page 1 of 1 3 total items

Hi!
i just got in minitokyo as a new member and i already submited my first wall paper! but unfortunately it got deleted leaving the reason that it was too simplistic.
So i decided that next time ill post it in the sandbox to ask you guys what do you think about it^^'.
hora:

http://i.imgur.com/3LoGdUY.png

img code removed by Valuna due to exploding the page

for the scan that i used: here

i also used a bunch of bruches that ill put their names later.
software used: photoshop cs6

So.. what do you think? if you got any suggestions please tell me about it, i will really appreciated.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

First of all, this is a huge file and absolutely unsuitable to be posted in the forum like this. I'd suggest you upload the image to an image hosting site and edit the post so that there's only a link to the image.

About the wall itself - I doubt that it would stay in the gallery for very long. It's just a cropped scan slapped on some kind of background with no further idea. It's nice that you tried to do something with it and used some textures but in this case, the textures only worsened it. You could have kept the girl as she was - she's cute and pretty and looks like the quality is decent so it would probably just need a few minor edits. The BG honestly looks just like several lines and swirls put together. It's totally abstract but it doesn't even evoke anything when I look at it. Also, the swirl on the left is cut. Everything is super blurry or toned in extremely dull colors. And then there's that copy/shadow of the girl filled with that orange texture that's in absolute contrast to the rest of the BG with its sharpness.

You could have given the girl some wings and make her and angel or a demon or put something what looks like magic around her hand. Maybe find a scan with a witch and crop a hat from it and paste it onto the girl's head. Searched a stock image with a sky, added some birds, use some clouds brushes, or put a moon there. Or you could combine some stocks or scans with some scenic BG with pretty sakura trees, a meadow full of flowers or a city in the distance... Simply something. If you wanted an abstract BG, you could go for some easy shapes like stars or dots but should have made the BG more coherent because there is absolutely no system in the current one. It doesn't show much creativity or any deeper idea.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Oh yay, you went to the Sanbox and brought as another piece. First thing I always look at when people use renders is if they are extracted properly (this includes an image quality check). This means that I won't be able to see odd cuts, bleeds and edges. Let me take a rough guess. You used the auto-selection tool to extract the image. WRONG!. You can only do this properly by zooming in and use the pen tool or the polygonal lasso tool and go around the edges.

The second thing is if the background is within an acceptable range and of good quality. For this one piece. I think the overal quality is acceptable (blurry sources, bad edges, overfiltering etc). So, that's a good thing. In your deleted piece, it was of high quality aswell.

But! Since there are some complications with the background. i want you to ask some questions first to yourself:
Do you think that a grungy background fits the render?
Do you think the background itself in general adds to the render?
Do you think it is filled enough now?

What do you think is your best asset doing graphics designing?
What do you think is your weakness doing graphics designing?
On what parts do you think or want to improve on yourself?
What do you think about vectoring and are you willing to?
What do you think about painting (digital) and are you willing/able to?
Will you rework your first entry to see your own improvement after some advice and guidance?

Of course, I can tell you the answer to all of these. They're pretty obvious, but I would like you to think about it yourself so you can evaluate and critize yourself for future reference. Don't take it as an offense or anything, I'm just wondering what you think about these things yourself so I can guide you better to a more proffessional level. It's a hobby, but sharing great works is just fun and always look to improve more.

You might wonder why I ask questions at some point instead of advice. It is because your first piece looked promising and unfinished. I know you can do better and it is good to know what your sources and your own views are like to improve. This way, you will most likely improve faster as it is easier to mold you around if you can AGREE YOURSELF.

I'll leave it at that and give the actual advice after you answered them.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

page 1 of 1 3 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.