Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Best Anime to Convince Anti-Anime Friends/Family/People!!! - Minitokyo

Best Anime to Convince Anti-Anime Friends/Family/People!!!

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 68 total items

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

PLEASE READ THE THREAD (OR AT LEAST THE LIST OF CURRENT SUGGESTIONS) BEFORE YOU POST. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY REDUNDANT POSTS OF SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS ALREADY PRESENT. THANK YOU.

I have noticed that many people here at Minotokyo say that their parents think anime is stupid. Of course we all know better than that, otherwise we woudln't be here. I also had a parent who thought so once. My mother believed that anime was just cartoons, "for kids," without much value and that it was a waste of time. Sound familiar? I bet it does. However, I did convince her to watch one movie, and she never thought of anime in that way again.

So this thread is meant to list more anime movies, which are to accomplish the same thing. Adults need anime that is short, hence the movies work well, and generally serious. It demonstrates to them that anime has much more depth to offer than they realized.

Please list your suggestions for anime that works well in converting non-anime-believers :P. And since you all are wondering which one it was that I used, I'll start first:

Grave of the Fireflies: Worked well because it was based on a historical event, and showed the suffering of the victims of war. No happy ending either (works well with adults!).

Kiyone17

nya!

Spirited Away would work too since it is Disney who translated it here. Most american parents like Disney because they grew up on it.

Signature
I'm in with these dudes... Inuyasha-fans-group and these dudes German-Members

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by mentisI have noticed that many people here at Minotokyo say that their
parents think anime is stupid. Of course we all know better than that,
otherwise we woudln't be here. I also had a parent who thought so once.
My mother believed that anime was just cartoons, "for kids," without
much value and that it was a waste of time. Sound familiar? I bet it
does. However, I did convince her to watch one movie, and she never
thought of anime in that way again.
So this thread is meant to list more anime movies, which are to
accomplish the same thing. Adults need anime that is short, hence the
movies work well, and generally serious. It demonstrates to them that
anime has much more depth to offer than they realized.
Please list your suggestions for anime that works well in converting
non-anime-believers :P. And since you all are wondering which one it
was that I used, I'll start first:
Grave of the Fireflies: Worked well because it was based on a
historical event, and showed the suffering of the victims of war. No
happy ending either (works well with adults!).

My parents loved anime though >_>

It's because when I drew art and sketches, my parents were very impressed with my skills - and my friends keep showcasing them to university time and time again - in which I get sigs from out of nowhere, Japanese peeps mostly >_>

But in any case - converting non-anime-believers? Well for once - define who an anime person really is?

Heck - I don't even own a single DVD to boot - the only real show I watched was Cardcaptors, and I have no idea what even Naruto is apparently. @_@

Does that make me an anti-anime person?
I only like anime because of the wonder art it inherits. What do you think? Would you call me an anti-anime fan just because I don't know much about anime at all, yet I like its artwork? @_@

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Hum, I guess everything from Ghibli would do. Mostly because they're all of great quality, are films ( since it would be harder to make someone who is anti-anime watch a whole serie ) and the themes are interesting for most ppl. If they're not against sci-fi, I guess classics like Akira and Ghost in the Shell should be able to convince too :) .

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by Kiyone17Spirited Away would work too since it is Disney who translated it here. Most american parents like Disney because they grew up on it.

That may be true, and I considered that one myself. But for some, it only confirms their belief that anime is "just for kids." So yes, Spirited Away may be a good choice, but only if the person does have an affinity for Disney.

Quote by CelessaMy parents loved anime though >_>
It's because when I drew art and sketches, my parents were very
impressed with my skills - and my friends keep showcasing them to
university time and time again - in which I get sigs from out of
nowhere, Japanese peeps mostly >_>
But in any case - converting non-anime-believers? Well for once -
define who an anime person really is?
Heck - I don't even own a single DVD to boot - the only real show I
watched was Cardcaptors, and I have no idea what even Naruto is
apparently. @_@
Does that make me an anti-anime person?

I only like anime because of the wonder art it inherits. What do you
think? Would you call me an anti-anime fan just because I don't know
much about anime at all, yet I like its artwork? @_@

No I would not call you an anti-anime person. An anti-anime person would fit the criteria which I have laid out in my initial post. That would be someone who, generally, hasn't seen any anime personally, and draws the unwarranted conclusion that anime is childish, a "silly cartoon," and is a "pointless waste of time." You do not think so obviously.

I also Understand your appreciation for the art within anime, for I myself am an artist (a painter). If you visit my userpage, you will see what I mean from my works there. But be aware that there is a lot more to anime that the visual art itself. Do not forget about the wondrous worlds which are bestowed upon us with characters and their lives that make us question our own existence. When I watch a series of anime, I am for a moment in that world. Therein I grieve for the characters that suffer, and I feel joy for those who find happiness. To have empathy is a gift indeed, and anime can teach us just that.

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Glittering Crux Emperor

Really good question mentis,and the lateast answer to the Celessa comments,is so right,i know a lot of ppl (my parents included) that say: oh,youre watching cartoons,or,you re wasting youre money on some silly stuff or childish things.

If u wanna say to youre parents: this is the things that i see try with Spirited Away,Mononoke Hime and Totoro (Ghibli things),but if you wanna show that anime is not only childish thing,show them things like Lain,Rouroni Kenshin(OVAS),Metropolis or hack sign,in that way,you can talk with them and said: this anime has violence for different things,is not always violence with nonsense,they have a trama and the violence is just a part of the drama.

K I R A B O S H I !

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

Hmm our family is very accepting about this ^_^.
Although my parent don't watch anime , but they don't really go against it ^_^ (lucky me )

Yeah for the older people they prob like something from gibli studio as mention here
and younger audiences probably like something like naruto ^_^ very entertaining .

Anyway that just my suggestion

Although it's a bit different as far as what has been suggested goes, my dad liked El Hazard, of all things, when he saw it.

At the same time, he liked Akira. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that one yet.

i have to agree pretty much any Ghibli film can do the trick ...i've converted most of my family with them xD ( my mom,2 aunts, one uncle, and 3 cousins)

LadyDoku

LadyDoku

Lady of the Sand

Oi ~
I think anything by Hayao Miyazaki is perfect for making new believers. However, one thing I have noticed about Americans is that they all seem to believe that animation is always for children. But we all know that not only is anime aimed mostly at teens, there also is a quite large section of anime that is clearly for adults.
I am in agreement with those who vote Miyazaki, because he has ties with Disney, the leading animation company in the USA. When I was invited to meet Disney in LA, part of my portfolio was heavily influenced by anime, namely Hayao Miyazaki's work. They all noticed it and had many good things to say about him.
He has made tons of films that can be viewed by many different age groups. To a kid 'Mononoke Hime' is high flying adventure, to an adult it is a touching and powerful testament of political, social and economical events through out history that human beings have struggled with for years. The idea that 'No one is truly bad, and on one is really good... they are all human'---quoted Bob Weinsten executive producer of "Princess Mononoke" Mononoke Hime is the perfect anime that will change a nonbeliever to a believer of any age.

~ Lady Doku

Vetus

Vetus

Lonely Rolling Star

An anime doesn't have necessarily to be a masterpiece (Miyazaki's movies) or have plently of violense (Berserk). It has to be suitable for the tastes of the person you want to show him/her how really good are anime. Here are some examples:
- if they like urban stuff, then show them Great Teacher Onizuka
- if they like romanse with slice of life, show them Fruits Basket
- if they like fighting duels, show them Naruto
- if they like school comedies, show them Full Metal Panic?Fumoffu
- if they like sci-fi, show them Akira
- and so on

I have met some people who don't like Spirited Away because its childish look and don't like Neo Genesis Evangelion because it's very complicated. So you must be careful at what you're going to show them.

i know that you won't like that I'm going to say, but it's true: a lot of people only likes hentai like La Blue Girl and not other types of anime. At least, make a start with them by showing them ecchi like Love Hina or at least am outstanding hentai with senario like Suika and Masquerade.

What is "normal", anyway? If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.

frackher

frackher

Angel

I Think Ghibli is a great choice to discover japanese animation.

My favors go for Laputa Castle in The Sky, it's for me the most magic.

Signature
F.R.A.C.K.H.E.R, But not for French Hacker, search more XD.

darkfirefox

darkfirefox

Spriggan

akira, Spriggan, or Gungrave

Signature
The ever beautiful Rabi en Rose

I'm agree with Vetus
but Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies are good for parents n_n

~* I Wanna Feel Me Living My Life Outside My Mind! *~
(Art of Life, X Japan)

[Hispanime]

charmyc

charmyc

Charmy

"Anime is for children i can't see what you like in there, just grow-up already" i can't belive some things people say... erf *couldn't live without anime...*
personatly i would show my mom full moon wo sagashite or something involving love and broken heart
to my father i would show maybe trigun or a samurai anime .. like samurai 7
but i guess it's depend on people

Signature
.::.Visit my Site .::..::.Charmy Shrine.::.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

None, literally it is impossible. NO matter what series as long as its animated it will always be cartoons to my parents. As for friends....I'd get something thats really deep and has a great deal of meaning.....even then its still a long shot because of how stubborn some people are about their opinions of certain things. Nonetheless I really honestly don't know of a way, you either like it or else you hate it. So this seems to be anyway. Its really too sad though cause theres alot of good series out there and not just the ecchi stuff. Too bad some people will never see past that though.

Signature Image

My mum was very fond of Fruits Basket and Kaleido Star (likes Kaleido more than me and bugs me about it non-stop!)

my parents don't hate anime just that they don't think i should watch it because it cuts into study and so forth. but my friend has anit-anime parents i let him borrow spirited away,cowboy bebob movie,grave of the fireflies and they enjoy anime now.

my girlfriend who was also anti-anime watches it now she didnt watch because she thought it was childish and everyone would think she was some sort of freak she said somethig about her popularity status droping(lol she was voted social queen). fruits basket and grave of the fireflies she like the most and i got punched in the face by her during a fight scene in cowboy bebop movie.(it really hurt)

my friends parents just thought it was childish and waste of money and my g/f was afraid of what it would do to her popularity in out school

calibretto23

calibretto23

Open your eyes...

I watched spirited away with my mom... at the end i was sniffling and she was outright bawling... I've sinced watched some other Miazaki works with her and even had her check out a few episodes of Bebop... I just may end up converting her

Signature Image

------------------------------------

Proud Member of:
|Hardcore-gamers| |Dub-Lovers-Group| |Fight-Club| |MT-singles| |FinalFantasyFans| |Samurai|

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by CyanideBlizzardNone, literally it is impossible. NO matter what series as long as its
animated it will always be cartoons to my parents. As for
friends....I'd get something thats really deep and has a great deal of
meaning.....even then its still a long shot because of how stubborn
some people are about their opinions of certain things. Nonetheless I
really honestly don't know of a way, you either like it or else you
hate it. So this seems to be anyway. Its really too sad though cause
theres alot of good series out there and not just the ecchi stuff. Too
bad some people will never see past that though.

I say to you, Cyanide, and to anyone else who thinks this way, that you are not correct. I think that it is unlikely that your parents, or anyone for that matter, cannot be reasoned with on this subject. But you do have to use reason. If you ask why they do not like anime, or think it's childish, stupid, etc. They probably will give you some BS answer that is not grounded in fact. If they have such a biased opinion about ALL anime, and they have not even seen any, then you can surely persuade them with something like this: "Please watch this one movie with me, and if after that you still think as you do now, I will not press you on this any further."

But that is also why it is crucial that you choose the appropriate anime. I have now made a list of what I believe are the most suited choices from what has thus far been suggested:

Grave of the Fireflies: Still one of my top pics due to seriousness.
Kenshin OVA: I am sorry for having missed this. Obviously an excellent choice.
Jin Roh: Forgot about this one too. Also excellent due to seriousness of subject.
Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust): It's fantasy, yes, but still portrayed in a somber manner.
Akira: Good choice for those who don't mind a little weirdness :P.
Cowboy Bebop Movie: A little sci-fi, but still serious enough for adults.
RahXephon Movie: Heavy on the sci-fi and mythology, but tackles some big philosophical ideas.
Princess Mononoke: Brings into focus the same issues we are still dealing with today.

Chibli Films and Similar: Spirited Away, Metropolis, and other similar titles would be generally suitable as well, but I must say again that such films are primarily geared towards children, and may just have the effect of confirming the "childishness" of anime in the mind of some viewers.

Anime Series: I did not include any series in this list for the reason stated in my initial post. If someone doesn't like anime, you probably won't be able to have them commit to watching a whole series. And if they do, chances are they won't finish it, which is self-defeating because a half watched series is not worth it anyway :P.

Hentai: Most of the individuals against anime, though not all, will tend to be more conservative in nature. As I believe that a liberal mind would be more open to and familiar with anime. So choosing hentai, or even ecchi, would probably just turn them off. Of course there are exceptions to this, it is something to be considered very carefully.

In the end, your choice would be heavily dependent on the tastes of the person in question. In which case, you are the only one who knows the person well enough to make that choice. However, the suggestions in my posts are mostly geared towards adults, as that is what parents would fall under. I hope that this thread has given you some insight :D.

LadyDoku

LadyDoku

Lady of the Sand

-clapclapclap- I like what you have to say Ventis, I think that is a great way to get new believers! ^_^ I didn't even look at it that way... And as for the Hentai...LOL!! I know what you mean!

Frackher, I love 'Castle in the Sky' Have you heard of the new Miyazaki Film coming out (Well, I don't kow how NEW it really is, America always gets things late) about a girl who is turned into and old woman and comes to work in her love's moving castle...? I forgot the name of it... I'll look it up later.^_^

~Lady Doku

Just thought of something else : films by Satoshi Kon could convince too, all are masterpieces, really interesting to watch and serious enough to make anyone forget about the "childishness". ( Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Grandfathers... ) :)
PS : I must disagree with the RahXephon Movie, I don't think it's meant for ppl who haven't watched the serie ( which I recommand of course ) >.<

My brother and sister like Azumanga Daioh. Okay, so it's childish in a way, but it works. Trust me.

Hmm... Well, for myself, I have had success in showing them Fumoffu, Nozomu Eien, Trigun, Naruto, and Gungrave(started on the second episode; makes more sense to the unfamiliar). A lot of my ex-girlfriends previously hated anime but light shows kinda got them started, then the heavy stuff got them hooked. Oh, and my parents really enjoyed Jin-Roh. I might have a little advantage on that one, though; my parents aren't your average old folks and my dad is UCLA film school alumni, so they're open to anything good. Just make sure you play all of them in nihongo; dubbed just doesn't have the right feel to convince anyone.

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 68 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.