Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do you believe the Bible is historically accurate? - Minitokyo

Do you believe the Bible is historically accurate?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

ejwcobra

ejwcobra

Master Hacker

Do you believe the Bible is historically, archaeologically, and/or scientifically accurate? Why or why not? This is something I'm rather curious about and I've taken a Bible Archaeology class from Northwestern College in Minnesota that totally knocked my socks off with how accurate the Bible really is. But enough about me, what do you believe?

Think deeply of simple things.

SealedSorrow

SealedSorrow

Happiness

I believe a little bit about it... To believe in something is better then having to not believe anything at all

Wont you let me see what Real Happiness Trully is...
Because if this is Happiness then I want more...
I know its selfish...
But have you ever felt so much Pain...
When will you understand that the why sun dont shine through my window...
And when will you understand that I am not really what I seem...
And When will you understand I been Wishing for you to be Happy Forever...

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

I only believe the good things that come out of the context, but I don't take the Bible literally word for word. Just like a story being told - it has some significant meaning which you must pry off with your own mind. Thus is the meaning I receive from the Bible - the meaning behind it, not what words that appears up close.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

WearyWanderer

WearyWanderer

~Title eh?~ *evil*

Quote by SealedSorrowI believe a little bit about it... To believe in something is better then having to not believe anything at all

Yes. I agree with SealedSorrow. I only believe very little in it. But like sealedsorrow said believing in something is better than believing nothing. Got something to follow at least.

Dccafdf

Dccafdf

Victor Van Vinklevoss V

There's like.. what? In insane amount of these "is the bible" or "is religion" "how accurate" or "do you believe" threads already here! My goodness! This is like.. a majorly repeated thread.

You know.. you could just do a search for previous threads, to find out what people believe on this matter.. there's already of these types of threads here.

Sorry if I came off wrong, not to sound like a jerk. I just think it's insane how many of these threads are continously re-re-re-re-spawning on a forum for an anime website.. I just find it, highly weird, and slightly out of place.. XD

I am Victor Van Vinklevoss the fifth. It is nice to meet you comrades!

well its not too surprising that there are some questions that many people ponder about and want to discuss it......... but yeah, technically duplicate threads take up their server space im guessin thats why we avoid dupes.....
but to answer the question anyway, i believe the Bible is rather accurate because it consists of many different books that were written by all sorts of people over a long period of time. these people wrote live accounts of what they saw, heard, or experienced.... kind of like a journal or a blog. then they just compiled it into 1 gigantic book a.k.a. the Bible XP
i don't think it would have fake information, like back then, those people just know that they are writing about what the experienced, they're not aware of the concept of 'religion' as we do today....

Signature

otaku4eva

otaku4eva

B.O.W

Well a lot of it is historical acurate. Ummm.. I'm trying to think of one example.Ah well it wos mostly composed and compiled in Babylon (spelling mistake?) um ..the flood ring truth to another eariler flood but not noah, some king or something. with a dove and all that. There are other but I can't remember it all.

ex-paranoia

pWn3d by Expy

I'm non-religious....

Don't call me atheist, because that is a religion too :P

Personally, I believe that the bible has accurate informations whether it be scientifically or historically. Other books have vanished, been forgotten and even lost, but the bible stays for how many centuries now. Do you think it's just coincidence? You don't have to think through whether it is accurate or not. -_- Somethings are better left alone. As the bible said, there are things that GOD should only know. I think you just have to believe in what ur doing so you don't have to be confused... :)

Quote by CelessaI only believe the good things that come out of the context, but I
don't take the Bible literally word for word. Just like a story being
told - it has some significant meaning which you must pry off with your
own mind. Thus is the meaning I receive from the Bible - the meaning
behind it, not what words that appears up close.

I'm backing this view up.
Them scriptures were "inspired" so it's likely that they were not really meant to be taken as they are.

Quote by DccafdfThere's like.. what? In insane amount of these "is the bible" or "is
religion" "how accurate" or "do you believe" threads already here! My
goodness! This is like.. a majorly repeated thread.

People have questions, love, and some may hold the answer. Let them discuss whatever they want as long as it's not spammy, right? :) (You know, in some forums, interpretations like the quote directly above are considered spam.)

Because I wait that not, it would terrify me to know that the apocalypse goes it is necessary to happen

StrawberryJar

StrawberryJar

that lonely fruit in the corner

Quote by ex-paranoiaDon't call me atheist, because that is a religion too :P

Atheists have no believe, no church, no book they fiercly believe in. I wouldn't go calling that a religion.

Anyway, I think the new book of the bible (jesus) is based on some guy having a big imagination, blowing things out of proportion. The old testament (no jesus :P) is just composed of all old stories which were told from generation on generation. I wouldn't go calling that a very reliable source..

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

the bible was written by men, and me never were and never will be trustworthy.
whatsmore, now linguist are investigating Jesus miracles because the say that they never happened, it was al a bad traslation of the bible... like when Jesus wlaks over water, the textual translation is that he walked "beneath" the water... so maybe all bible facts are no more than human exagerations and inventions to probe their faith to god... T_T

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

No

At least not more accurate than the hunt for red october. (aka a work of fiction with some background facts thrown in)

oh yeah, BELIEVE IN THE SIGN OF ZETA not stupid bible for god sakes.......to otaku-dom.

Quote: I believe that the bible has accurate informations whether it be scientifically or historically. Other books have vanished, been forgotten and even lost,

I believe Zeus pwnz teh yaweh..... :p Homer survived longer than the bible......

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

The Bible contains many of the only written records for certain time periods about the Hebrews, but... seeing as how it was only written centuries after those events happened, we can't really say that it's "historically accurate." The dates are often wrong, the places are often mixed up, and the importance of the Hebrews/Jews on the world scene is vastly inflated, especially in the Old Testament. The New Testament is somewhat more reliable, being recorded within living memory of the events it recalls, but the New Testament is mostly just about Jesus's life--a very short period compared to the Old Testament, and probably more liable to be over-inflated by his admiring disciples.

Signature
New Wallpapers: Monochrome Etude
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Sepiraph

Arayashiki - One-winged Angel

The world was created in 7 days... yea that's very accurate! :hmpf:

The Bible is closer to a fiction that was based on some historical events, just like many other work of fictions.

Signature

:: Member of Celestia :D ::

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

You'd be surprised at how many of the events actually check out. Certainly, the "prehistory of man" that's provided in Genesis isn't exactly scientifically acceptable, but the actual historical events tend to be fairly accurate. Whether the miracles actually occured or not is pretty much just a matter of faith, but there's lots of actual history in there. They just tended to exaggerate things, or get the names and dates wrong, etc.

Signature
New Wallpapers: Monochrome Etude
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Summoner

Lotosypherine

Taking the fact that it was written by human hand following the enlightment the holy spirit gave I believe it's historical pinpoints,teachings,facts are as fake as the religion it represents(both sides-I don't mean good and evil if you thought that).

n>1

PeachGirl

PeachGirl

Fallen Angel

That's an interesting subject, I don't really belive in it but I red a book called "The davinci code", I know that the book isn't based on truth but it makes me think about the origin of the history of the bible

Ja mata!
Tomodachi ni narimsen ka?

Signature

~~ Incandescene can dance through white shades of sand.
Perfect skies tell the tides~~

There must be more than this provincial life.
Dreaming of far off places, daring sword fights,
magic spells and a prince in disguise

I want adventure in the great wide somewhere
I want it more than I can tell
And for once it might be grand
To have someone understand
I want so much more than they've got planned

kiri-chan

kiri-chan

Casual Waller

Many elements of the bible are very historically accurate and this is something that can be proven without debate. So all you people who just say "no" with no clear explanation obviously have not even learned anything about this world or opened the bible at all.

Summoner

Lotosypherine

I can always think that history was fold as someone wanted.

n>1

Quote by SummonerTaking the fact that it was written by human hand following the
enlightment the holy spirit gave I believe it's historical
pinpoints,teachings,facts are as fake as the religion it
represents(both sides-I don't mean good and evil if you thought that).

Come on, love! "Fake" is too strong a word. Try "inaccurate"; after all, wasn't Wealth of Nations written by another inspired individual? ;)

Yes, history can be hammered into as many things as the recorder wants. Exaggeration is unavoidable and so is inaccuracy.

ejwcobra

ejwcobra

Master Hacker

something important to note here is that as far as historical accuracy, the Bible is the most accurate of any written documents ever recovered. I know this because (as i said before) i took a biblical archaeology class and found that the bible is accurate even down to the smallest details. (i'm not trying to be preachy or anything so please don't take offense)

Think deeply of simple things.

einna

einna

*kisu* ^.~

The Holy Bible was created not to be criticized. The Bible was not created to made a proof of the history. It was never a book of history but a book revealed by God himself. Don't blame the authors for their wild imagination. They were inspired by God to write all those things. And do you know why the Church still exists today? It's because evil shall never prevail and will never take the Church away.

Yes, the miracles Jesus did were symbolic. But the greatest miracle that Jesus created was that He made us remember His name until now.

I don't put any boundaries between me and non-believers of God but I just want you to know my opinion.

-------EDIT--------

Quote by ejwcobrasomething important to note here is that as far as historical accuracy, the Bible is the most accurate of any written documents ever recovered. I know this because (as i said before) i took a biblical archaeology class and found that the bible is accurate even down to the smallest details. (i'm not trying to be preachy or anything so please don't take offense)

Nice one! XD

Signature

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.