Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do you think about drafting for war? - Minitokyo

What do you think about drafting for war?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 57 total items

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

I think the draft is stupid. The government shouldn't force men to go to war because the men don't want to, but of course in the event that a war occurs, the government would require more. It's unfortunate that registering for this service is the law in the US, and I must go through with it. Otherwise, men who are 18 years old and don't register for this service will be arrested. In life, I have better things to do than trying to get myself killed in the event a draft occurs. Suppose in the future I would leave my girlfriend for something like this? Suppose I would give up everything I like to do for something that's not even in my jurisdiction? I can't go anyway because I'm a chronic asthmatic. Nevertheless, I am against the draft.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

I would have to agree with you the Draft is just a way to get more poeple that don't want to fight the war to fight

anti-spammers | photoshop-lovers

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I don't like the idea of drafting either, but I guess in the state of emergency, drastic measures must be taken. To be honest, it's not something I can really comment on because it's never happened to me and I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

punker0017

punker0017

My backpack's got jets

I understand the reason for having a draft, but that doesnt mean I have to like it. And I dont. Should the need ever arise in the US, I'm moving to Canada

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines

Davo

Davo

I'll kill you

i'm of the other country but in my opinion is very bad , boys used like cannon meat is very nasty only for the money of less people

Signature Image
DAVO THE ECCHIMAKER :"If a demon stands in my way, I will cut him apart. If a saint stands in my way, I will cut him apart"

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

Drafting is crap, i agree the only time they should draft is if the treat had come here on u.s soil then it would be cool Melmachine if u don't want to go just grab your girl and split they can't draft if they can't find.

Signature
-DragonKnight of the Flame Kingdom-

Jyu-Jyu

Jyu-Jyu

*blush*

Sorry to hear u have to go through that – T_T – yeah it sucks that all males have to go through that at the age of 18; it’s good, but at the same time it’s bad – it’s good b/c at least we know we’ll have troops to protect our land – but bad b/c that person who gets drafted has to leave everything behind – it’s sad – I have a friend rite now overseas – really miss him. All I can do is hope that he’ll return safely.

skysong

skysong

~SMS~

Well, i do agree its no good forcing people to do these things, but i also realize its important to protect our country...I think medical records is something they should look at before anything like that is done anyways.

Signature

comprogrammer

comprogrammer

Changing in the Light

my thoughts are a draft just makes everyone equal, and that if you are willing to die for what you live for, then what you're living for isn't worth living for.

Signature Image

Holt

Holt

pffft

Quote by comprogrammermy thoughts are a draft just makes everyone equal, and that if you are
willing to die for what you live for, then what you're living for isn't
worth living for.

That's a cool line. :P
I'm pretty sure there's no one who would think drafting is a good thing. Forcing people who don't want to fight to give their life up is not only wrong but stupid. How effective are soldiers who want to be anywhere but in the war?
Nevertheless I'm inclined to agree that sometimes the need may be extreme like WW2 in which case it's worth fighting but when they did it for Vietnam that just wasn't on.

Signature Image

Ying

Ying

I'll Be Back!

No one should be forced in such a horrible way!
I say screw the goverment!
If everyone where like the MT members there would be no War! ^_^
Just a bunch of Hentai's! (just kidding!^_-)

Signature Image

Where there's Yin there's always Yang

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Finally, a more deep and logical thread. Here's my input:

Quote by melmachine18I think the draft is stupid. The government shouldn't force men to go
to war because the men don't want to, but of course in the event that a
war occurs, the government would require more.

Yes, there is a fine line between voluntary and involuntary force, and I believe that in order to better protect yourself, you have to have a suitable army set-up. However, I don't believe it is right to call up arms for people and rob them of their livelihood just like that - which is why I am normally against forcing people to enlist in the army, through my opinion of course. Wars are just ridiculous, but you have to do what you have to do - and defending your country is very important nonetheless if you wish to be secure, even if it does not seem right.

However, I also know that attacking a country unprovoked, does raise ethical concerns of it's own as well, and even though the world does not seem always unified all at once, at least the UN council have what it takes for necessary precautions to making sure no devestation truly breaks out. Chaos should be restored with Order, just as some of the medieval scholars used to say back in the days.

Quote by melmachine18It's unfortunate that registering for this service is the law in the US, and I must go through with it. Otherwise, men who are 18 years old and don't register
for this service will be arrested.

Ugh... to be punished for not agreeing with such terms, but at least I'll have to admit, training in the army does have its pros as well, if you are lazy at home and doing nothing. Besides, I wouldn't mind firing a gun at target practise for once. **Snickers** Staying fit and learning self-defense is nice for a couple of months, [which I do know a bit about myself] through voluntary learning just in case, so it wouldn't be too bad. Normally I am a person who likes to pull herself into reality quite often out in the real world - so to those lazy bums sitting at home and doing nothing, this will be a nice call for a breath of fresh air for once. I think I'll end it from there.

Quote by melmachine18In life, I have better things to do
than trying to get myself killed in the event a draft occurs. Suppose
in the future I would leave my girlfriend for something like this?

Hey, I hear you. There would be better things to be doing than just being drafted in the army. For some people, this drafting option seems right in their point of view - for others who disagree upon it - they have jobs to work on, and education such as attending university to help them further enhance and improve their skills within the future, and they could care less about pressing a firearm between their edgy fingers, which is a good excuse. I would hate it if my mind would be distracted by some sort of an enlisting law. No way.

I still believe it should be a voluntary measure - after all, this is our life, and laws that run like that aren't always the nicest. You do have a point - better to at least say something about it, because it is your right.

Quote by melmachine18Suppose I would give up everything I like to do for something that's
not even in my jurisdiction? I can't go anyway because I'm a chronic
asthmatic. Nevertheless, I am against the draft.

So am I, despite not being an American citizen over here - and not knowing all the rules and principles, I would say that too as well.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

well drafting helps the governement get rid certain element of the popluation they don't like in the old days, what better way is sent them to the front line and get killed :D Well most of drafties are poor back in WW2, just something to think about. Now we have more a professional army, so unless we get a major war I don't think drafting is an issue, however, with Bush here in US, avoiding conflict would be a good dream :D

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

I feel that it's absolutely necessary for me to point out that there is no draft in the United States. A draft is opposed by leaders of both the Republican and Democratic parties, including the President and the Secretary of Defense; the United States military is a fully-volunteer military and will continue to be so.

What you may be talking about, melmachine, is Selective Service; at 18, male citizens need to register for Selective Service. What this does is help the national government ascertain how many people there are in the United States that are of eligible age for service. Registration does not mean you will be drafter (see above section about there not being a draft in the United States).

One last thing to consider: Selective Service is not something new; it's been in existance since the 1980s.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

i think it's wrong to have a draft i mean it's called the Volunteer army for a reason
but i a big war say WW3 a draft maybe....... in i any case i say no.

<(:'.':)> dont want to end up like kirby here<(:'.':)>
(>'.')>:::[<(x.x)>]:::<('.'<)
!!!!!!DEAD!!!!!!!

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

Quote by shinsengumiI feel that it's absolutely necessary for me to point out that there
is no draft in the United States
. A draft is opposed by leaders of
both the Republican and Democratic parties, including the President and
the Secretary of Defense; the United States military is a
fully-volunteer military and will continue to be so.
What you may be talking about, melmachine, is Selective Service; at 18,
male citizens need to register for Selective Service. What this does is
help the national government ascertain how many people there are in the
United States that are of eligible age for service. Registration
does not mean you will be drafter (see above section about there
not being a draft in the United States).
One last thing to consider: Selective Service is not something new;
it's been in existance since the 1980s.

<insert a group of kids' audio here> Yaaaaay! Hooooraaay! Weeee!

btw...

How long does Selective Service take? 45-60 minutes? >_>

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

I think the draft is useless. My younger brother doesn't have to register or join any branch of the military, because he's brain-injured. If they did make him register, I'd go insane.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

I personaly have nothing against the draft. I understand that if we need more men out there we will do what we have to. I know it's sometimes against the persons wishes but there's a war going on and your not doing anything about it so thus there's a draft.

And some people don't like the draft because there afraid to die. Well I perosnaly thind that is a stupid reason why you shouldn't go. Your gonna die one day and might as well die in a war so your kids have a story to tell later on. And I don't really want to be asked "What did you do in the Great wwiii and all you got to say is "Well I didn't do anything because I was to much of a coward to go." I mean come on! That's just BS.

So it's the draft for me!

Arc213

The Ghost of Chivalry

I would not agree to a draft if it is a war overseas.
There is nothing worse than fighting along side a guy who doesn't want to be there. Also the combat effectiveness of people drafted is less than the volunteers.
If our country was being invaded I would say yes, do it.
If I wasn't drafted in an event of an invasion on the US I would take up arms by any means, even if it means being a guerrilla.
I think anyone not willing to defend our country at such an event shouldn't live in it.

I change for no one. I live to go on being uncompromised.
I am not a dreamer for I live my dreams.

Kumiko-H

Kumiko-H

Professional reader

I do not like the draft. Two of my uncles and my father had to deal with that when they were younger. I believe it forces people into fighting, possibly for a reason that they do not believe in.

Signature
All I want to do is read all day long. Can someone tell me how I can get a job like that! LET'S LEAD THE PROFESSIONAL READERS REVOLUTION!!! Any takers???

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

The draft does not affect me directly but I have brothers I wouldn't want to get drafted. And since I'm safe from the draft, I don't see why I should be able to force someone else into it. Since most of the politicians are older guys who are also safe from the draft, I don't see why they should get to force others into either.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

Celessa, I think your post is probably the most well-thought out and reasoned that I've seen on the subject in a long time, and I thank you for it. I don't see eye-to-eye with you on certain points, but that's not really important - your even-handed tone was appreciated.

It seems that I'm rather in the minority, though, in that I don't object to the principle of the Selective Service System (thanks to shinsengumi for making the distinction, by the way). It's already been pointed out, but I feel it should be stressed that drafting able-bodied men to fight today would be an absolute last resort; we learned during the Vietnam War that conscripts are far from the best soldiers, and that practice is only in place as a contingency for a worst case scenario. People who want to be there and voluntarily enroll as officers or enlist make far better Marines, sailors, soldiers, or airmen.

On a more personal level, I would prefer that I myself never had to fight. For a number of reasons I doubt that I'd ever make much of a soldier, and I hope I never have to take a human life.

But.

Were my country ever in such dire straights, I wouldn't hesitate to answer the call, either. We live pretty good lives in the United States, and enjoy perhaps the furthest-ranging freedoms in the history of civilization, but it comes at a price that I think is most eloquently summed up in a Rainbow Six ad, of all things - 'freedom isn't free'. I'd rather not launch into some lofty, verbose, and over-wrought speech about American history, but I do agree whole-heartedly with that sentiment. I don't feel that war is to be taken lightly - nor is that a cheap shot at President Bush or his decisions regarding the Middle East, as I'd rather leave US operations in Iraq out of this - but if my country were desperate enough to need the likes of me, the least I could do is take up a rifle for her cause.

I'm not saying the rest of you are wrong, mind you, nor that I am right - this is just what I believe.

QVOD VITA FACIMVS AETERNITATE SONABIT.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Gilt, I agree completely with you. I take the idea of service to my country very seriously; because I am a frail person who tends more towards scholarly pleasures, I wish to do my part by entering into the civil service after I graduate from university, but if, as you said, this country were to enter into dire straits, I would without hesitation, enlist, because it is the least I can do to show my appreciation for being able to live in a country where I have the ability to choose, the ability to voice my thoughts or offer a different perspective without fear, and the like.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Patriotism is the word for the pride in one's own country or nation. I understand from your viewpoint, Gilt, that using our men to fight is a last resort, but I do not think it should be at the expense of a man who wishes to pursue a different goal. However, if a person really has pride in his own country, I would see that he would be more likely to get drafted, but it is a matter of randomly selecting men for the draft. For all we know, we may be the next men to serve the military, but as shinsengumi pointed out, there isn't likely to be a draft for our current situation.

Shinsengumi, I also agree with your statement that pride is also shown in a country where freedom is one of the most predominant things we can ask for; the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, and more from the 1st Amendment of the US constitution. The freedom we have in the US may not be the same in another country, so we take advantage of our rights as long as they do not exceed the boundaries of the constitution's jurisdictions. However, serving in the military seems to be impossible because of my illness, and I have no other excuses for leaving the country to serve. Why I stand at this point is because of the influence of other people, generally the people I'm around who tell me that I shouldn't take such a risky task.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 57 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.