Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 FAVS? - Minitokyo

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

Do favs really determine a person's skill?
I was wondering about that one too.. and speaking of the last thread I made, I thought why not ask this as well and talk about it here if you'd like.

It just bothered me a bit lately because I have seen REALLY REALLY good artists and for some reason, I dunno but their favs aren't exactly as huge as towering wall tycoons here at MT.

Hmm.. just talk about it here and again, thank you for the advices and comments.

Opinionated posts are always best. ;)

*EDIT! (May 26, 2005 :: 3:05 PM)
Well, I spotted a thread done by Kenzuke and he and some people in that thread have great ideas about the possible MT System.

Personally, I didn't expect that this thread would actually bring such change but in a way, I am very happy that I am able to connect to you guys and that we can all relate. :)

A Possible Solution to the Current "Controversy" - Happy Brainstorming People!

Feel the Rain on Your Skin. No One Else can Feel it For You. Only You Can Let it in.
Signature Image
-=Admin&Mod=- Flip | Ice and Snow | Nippon Foods | TSubasa | Pure Light Love | Assistance Coalescence | Make a Friend | FMWS | Syaoran shrine | Filipino Comm. | Sakura | Sea | Pokemon League | SS shrine | The Real Folk Blues | English | McDonald's

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

I am really curious to see the reaction of people, although I think you should move this thread in "Everyday Life" forum lol, if you wanna get answers from other people besides the usual ones. I'll be straight with this, favs on MT right now depend from this factors:

- Huge friendlist. That's it, the more friends you have the more chances people will fav your work. Sadly most of the people just fav blindly every submission that they see notified from a friend. I'd rather see a nice and well developed comment than a normal fav followed by the usual "butt-kissing" comment "omg wonderful! +fav" just because I am on someone's friendlist. Be freaking honest people, artists do care more about criticism, real criticism. Also people on MT are just plain lazy to browse the gallery and check for wallpapers so they end up faving and looking only at those wallpapers they got to know through a notification.

- Trendwh0re concepts. I read a lot of replies about people saying "Yes I like original concepts". Well I wonder why I am not seeing any of those original concepts in the highlighted submissions then. Huh? The truth is, again, that most of MT's community faves and prefers a wallpaper that has the following things: a cute girl possibly not ecchi, a scenic background with clouds (lots OF them), starfields, moon (urgh). They don't care if the wallpapers is low res, they don't care if the scan is freaking damn blurred and if the wallpaper is overall poor quality since they seem to be content with those things being present. That's sad. I recall replies to certain low quality wallpapers that went like "awesome work! the girl is sooo cute! love the clouds and moon! +fav!" . I wonder if most of them are blind or not. lol.

- A nice looking thumbnail: again, most of the people are too lazy to full view a wallpaper, you'll often see really well done wallpapers being ignored just becuase their thumbnail doesn't look "awesome". Bleh.

Anyway, I'm done ranting, things won't change anyway unless rules about faving and comments will be changed, that means we'll still see low quality stuff making its way to the highlighted submissions just because of those factors. =/

cmkmstephens

cmkmstephens

ARrrrrrrggg!

Since I don't know you people, I went and trailed through all the anime I've seen, as well as the un/known ecchi, original, and other sections, and I daily browse through the recent submissions. All my favourites are just that, favourites, not just because I know the person.

Signature Image

Eagle

Eagle

Full time sadomasochist

Just look at the Female Scans favs. and tell me that guys aren't making them favs. for the sex appeal when the scan doesn't even belong to the person who submitted it. ay!

kenzuke

kenzuke

Victimized

YOU READ MY MIND SHIN!!

Sorry to say but those are the real factors..
friendslist, thumbnail, cute girl, scenery.... that's sad ... :sweat:

that friendlist sure made MT a whole lot complicated... before that FL thing people usually view the recent wall gallery .. but I guess nowadays... walls are abundant and it's just time consuming to browse.... people usually just check their notifs from friends and only check those walls.....

Actually, I became pissed off when one of my most high quality wall was beaten by tons of fav by a non original low res wall.... T_T .. I guess my thumbnail and less active friends were to blame.. kidding... XD ... now, what I'm trying to do right now is to make it "up there" by making new "friends" .... I guess I cant do anything but try to "go with the flow"... >_> ... or else I wont have the mood to wall... ~_~ because getting to the top means more chances of critizisim which I'm looking for... >_>

Oh well..., I'll still try to make more high quality and unique walls...one way or another.. >_<

.. I really need some more critics and people who like my works to help me have the mood to wall faster .... -_- ...

and yeah, I guess things wont change... so so so sad... T_T

people think differently...

jasmine

Retired Moderator

jasmine

jazz mod

You are all quite right. There are many not really quality walls that get tons of favs becuase the wallers friendslist is miles long. This is the sad truth that frequently all the walls that involved a lot of effort to create go unnoticed cause the waller does not have a miles long fl or becuase he/she did not use very ecchi scan (another quality determining the number of favs).
What can we do?
Bear with it. >.<
& try to encourage the good wallers so that their discouragment will wither away
& try not to fav every submission from one's friendslist nor every ecchi scan/wall there is (T_T honestly people what is with that ecchi-obssesion ???)
& if you really want to give out put to your friends give them the constructive criticism that will help them to improve rather then stupidly faving (cause favs are not really constructive)
& try to be more objective in our fav evaluation
that is all i guess :(

ps. The above mentioned reasons also apply to scan submissions, although with scans there is no highlitningh of the most popular submission on the main page.

What I do is me...
... for that I came
me @ DeviantArt, AnimePaper, msn space

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

i recall reading a similar thread to this and some people were unhappy that faves were just becoming a popularity contest among those who have the largest friend's list. but i guess you can't blame them because of course we're going to want to support our friends by commenting and faving...and i'm totally guilty of that...i won't lie. but i do fave walls that i really like, and not just to fave. i just hope this system won't discourage anyone from making good, original walls.

i guess i can only offer this: don't be disheartened if your wall isn't the top fave or anything, because you and other members who have taken the time to seriously consider your work should be the ones who truly appreciate your accomplishment. at least, as an artist, you know that you did your best...sorry if that sounds incredibly corny, but i believe that... ^_^'

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

asta

asta

I'll wait Forever...

I fave walls that i like too, but sometimes i dont fave other walls but that doesnt mean i dont like them because actually i like them

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

I totally agree with shinn. those are the reasons why such a high quality is put way back in the store. while lower quality but has stuff that ppl like, echhi, cute girls, etc etc got placed in highligted submission. FL is also the same thing. some ppl just think when they put that artist in their FL, they became mandatory to fav their wall. thats just plain wrong.

another one I find frustrating is popularity. I know a few people is really popular among the community but they are quite new to the walling scene. their wall turn out kinda bad but since they're popular, they get more fav. its rather unfair to get fav jsut bcoz yer famous.

one more is like shinn said, thumbnail. I had a few of my wallpaper which is quite amazing (in my perspective dat is >_>) but the thumbnail sux like crap. because of that ppl dont even take a peek how da wallpaper look like.

in any case, we wallers make wallpaper not to get fav in any community. we just make so ppl will like and use. we can get those even without a hundred favs. ^_^

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

oooooooo.. i would love to see what most ppl think.

taking ShiNN's wise advise.

Getting this crap in Everyday Life Lounge area. :) *i meant that lovingly of course!*

Feel the Rain on Your Skin. No One Else can Feel it For You. Only You Can Let it in.
Signature Image
-=Admin&Mod=- Flip | Ice and Snow | Nippon Foods | TSubasa | Pure Light Love | Assistance Coalescence | Make a Friend | FMWS | Syaoran shrine | Filipino Comm. | Sakura | Sea | Pokemon League | SS shrine | The Real Folk Blues | English | McDonald's

zaira

zaira

call me tuna!

shinn-sama sure is right! bec. of plenty of FL they gain more favs! even though they not trying to look the whole thumbnail they just fav it!! to tell you the truth some of my walls are low quality and they look really crap! but some of them they went to Highligted Submissions that makes me wonder that how come my low quality wall reach into that place -_- plus if your popular they will add you to their FL and they will fav your walls even they not reading your discriptions or see the whole wall! OX

for my best critics are Shinn, Exentric, Devilet and Candy, they really the most scariest friends i have! why? they really critic my low quality wallies and those critics really make me improve more! and i realize that they always saying "low quality" "better use high quality scans" " bad concept" "not a good idea" and "you suck!" hehe just kidding ^_^'

well for having big FL they really are good ones on having those, well they comment and fav it bec. they want to support you more and to make a nice wall..

just exentric-sama said we wallers just not make wallpapers to gain more Favs is for the people who love the wall and make a good use of it!

well i guess that's my opinion hehe well gtg nice thread crew-sama!

:D

Signature
soul-eater-shibusen sword-shana-lily tsubasa clampfans

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

lol zaira, at least you do care about it and you show you wanna improve following the (few) suggestions that you get to receive among the hundreds of "omg +fav" comments lol. But still, there are other people who appearently seem to totally ignore thos critiques and just keep feeding the leechers with the same things over and over. I am not going to give names, they know who they are.

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

yup. zai ish popular but i know deepinside that zaira can unlock so much potential *nodds*

ok. nuff of mentioning ppl. On with the show ppl.

Signature Image

zaira

zaira

call me tuna!

Quote by ShiNN84lol zaira, at least you do care about it and you show you wanna improve following the (few) suggestions that you get to receive among the hundreds of "omg +fav" comments lol. But still, there are other people who appearently seem to totally ignore thos critiques and just keep feeding the leechers with the same things over and over. I am not going to give names, they know who they are.

my god! shin-sama is here! waah scary! *runs off* XD

Signature

Ying

Ying

I'll Be Back!

I totaly agree with you guys! I've seen walls that surtenaly don't deserve as much favs as they have!
Personaly I like comments more then favs (well Oki I like favs too! ^_-)
and I actually think more of comments with critisicm cause they help me to improve and it also mean that the person really took her/his time to look at it.

I always try to comment as honest as possible (crewcifix know that! ^_-) and I will NOT fav anythig I don't like! >_<

Signature Image

Where there's Yin there's always Yang

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

Quote by zaira

Quote by ShiNN84lol zaira, at least you do care about it and you show
you wanna improve following the (few) suggestions that you get to
receive among the hundreds of "omg +fav" comments lol. But still, there
are other people who appearently seem to totally ignore thos critiques
and just keep feeding the leechers with the same things over and over.
I am not going to give names, they know who they are.

my god! shin-sama is here! waah scary! *runs off* XD

hehe.. Wag ka ngang matakot! lol. XD

---------

Setting that aside, I guess we can also talk about some dirty things happening here in MT!!

Like a certain waller I met as a friend. who is sooo sweet and kind...... and yet Ripped a wall and tehn that fcking wall gets so so so so many favs and comemnts and they all piss me off with their "omg+fav" comments. *dies*

ok, released my angst now. feels better. :nya:

Signature Image

You know, I agree with everything Shinn and co. said here, apart from one thing. IMHO you can't blame people for pickign a wallpaper with a cute girl. It's a primitive instinct to like sexy/cute girls and a wallpaper with them is quite understandable going to be more appreciated perhaps. Perhaps you don't want it like this, of course, I mean your stuff rocks, and I know how much effort you put into them. I fav your stuff because it rocks. This is why I hang around the scans section tbh, because wallpapers can be hard to judge. And the thing is, just coz a wallpaper has a cute girl doesnt mean it can't be good. And maybe some people like celestial stuff? I'm a massive fan of celestial stuff, and when I see one that's done well, I will comment and if it's good enough fav it. Anyway, that's my view on the matter.

~knighty

Member of:
MT UK

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

Quote by knightyIt's a primitive instinct to like sexy/cute girls and a wallpaper with them is quite understandable going to be more appreciated perhaps

i don't see any valid reason why this is basis for faving walls. personally speaking anyway.

I mean, have you EVER thought of other artist here at MT also struggling for the same amount of attention (not in that kind of way) but more of getting suggestions and really really proper critiques?

Signature Image

zaira

zaira

call me tuna!

Quote by crewcifixyup. zai ish popular but i know deepinside that zaira can unlock so much potential *nodds*

popular? i dunno that i'm popular, for me i'm just an ordinary girl who makes a low qualitied *wondering if the spelling is right* wallies with a paranoid personality :D

Signature

Quote by crewcifix

Quote by knightyIt's a primitive instinct to like sexy/cute girls and a
wallpaper with them is quite understandable going to be more
appreciated perhaps

i don't see any valid reason why this is basis for faving walls.
personally speaking anyway.
I mean, have you EVER thought of other artist here at MT also
struggling for the same amount of attention (not in that kind of way)
but more of getting suggestions and really really proper critiques?

That's just the way it is. I was merely pointing it out.

~knighty

Member of:
MT UK

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

Quote by zaira

Quote by crewcifixyup. zai ish popular but i know deepinside that zaira
can unlock so much potential *nodds*

popular? i dunno that i'm popular, for me i'm just an ordinary girl who
makes a low qualitied *wondering if the spelling is right* wallies with
a paranoid personality :D

hehe.. i'm a paranoid person too. lol.

and no, don't look down on yourself with your walls. Trust me, you'll eventually get to make the right Kind of walls soon and who knows what instore for you. lol. :D

Signature Image

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

Quote by knightyYou know, I agree with everything Shinn and co. said here, apart from one thing. IMHO you can't blame people for pickign a wallpaper with a cute girl. It's a primitive instinct to like sexy/cute girls and a wallpaper with them is quite understandable going to be more appreciated perhaps. Perhaps you don't want it like this, of course, I mean your stuff rocks, and I know how much effort you put into them. I fav your stuff because it rocks. This is why I hang around the scans section tbh, because wallpapers can be hard to judge. And the thing is, just coz a wallpaper has a cute girl doesnt mean it can't be good. And maybe some people like celestial stuff? I'm a massive fan of celestial stuff, and when I see one that's done well, I will comment and if it's good enough fav it. Anyway, that's my view on the matter.

Well I think it's not good when you see just one kind of style always hitting the highlighted subs. Of course I know people like cute girls and all those things mentioned, but damn it, why not faving abstract? or tech wallpapers? There are cute girls there as well. What about total vectored ones.... crapmonster's gallery is full of jewels, and guess what only the most "trendwh0re" ones got most attention. It's sad. I like variety and I do want to see variety, I want to entertain my mind with new concepts, styles or whataver, I'm really getting tired myself of seeing the same things reworked hundred times.

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

the amount of favorties an artist receives be it either a wallpaper or scan are hardly indicative of artistic merit. i find the vast majority of "highlighted" gallery walls/scans to be absolute garbage. i fear most people randomly fav all their friends submission regardless, i mean how else can one explain the crap that gets like > 100 favs?

damn shame really. :( i make it a point to only give out favorites to works i believe deserve them. but thats just me...

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

Personally, I'd like to see some of EevaLeena's or white-zero's abstracts hit the top favs.

Or even this beaut

http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/117507/

*_*

The FL faving is crap. If you're gonna suck up to someone at least write a long comment. XD

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.