Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Windows Vista: Yes or No? - Minitokyo

Windows Vista: Yes or No?

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

After waiting for what is like eons, Microsoft's next OS, Windows Vista is finally here!
YAY!
Well not the retail OS, that won't be here until next year (hopefully).
Microsoft Windows Vista previous code name LongHorn was only
available to developers, and IT experts. Now they want a new
group to test it out. This special group is extremely important
because if this group don't see a point to upgrade to Vista, then Vista will become
a major failure. This special group is "us", us as in the consumer.

Since now there is a pubilc beta version available and they want "us"
the consumer to test it out and provide feedback about what we want to improve
on the new OS and our thoughts. I've told myself why not test it out and see how it runs.
And this is what I've think about it.

Microsoft Windows Vista's installation has finally thought about when it's the right time
for user interaction during the installation stages. Previous Windows installations will
require a great amount of user input at different times and this can
delay the installation process because if Windows needs your user input and you ignore it, then
the installation will stay right there, until you provide the info it needs. Even if it has decided to start growing flowers, vines, and moss. As for Windows Vista, the user interaction starts
at the very beginning of the installation process, way before Windows starts to install into your PC.
Once Vista finishes installing, then it askes you for the rest of the info it needs. This reduces the amount
of time the user needs to interact with their PC, during the Windows installation.

Previous version of Windows e.g. Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP will require user
to press the "F6" key for installing additional drivers, if the one needed is
not included with the Windows installation disc. User who has their system setup in RAID
or have earlier adoptions of the SATA hard drives with non-Intel chipsets motherboards*, will know that during this part of the installation, it's always a dead end, if you don't have a floppy drive because it only looks for drivers in
a floppy disk. And since most PCs don't use floppy drives these days, Windows Vista has came up with
a new ways to let user with complex hard drive setups use different methods of installing additional drivers.
Windows Vista's additional driver installation options now includes more options such
as flash drives. Also there is no more "F6" to press for installing additional drivers.

Users get to experience the ease of installation on Windows Vista with their simple to read hard drive
setups and easier to manange interface. In Vista, the hard disk's info is displayed in a simplified but
very detail method. Vista's way of displaying the hard disk goes as follows: Name, Total size, Free space, and type.

made a typo in the imgae, too lazy to rehost a new one, so deal with it!
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7874/vistahdd4bc.jpg

Note: Disk_R where "R" represents numbers 1 and above
Partition_N where "N" represents numbers 1 and above

Windows Vista displaying of the hard disk goes like so...
By looking at the sample image above...

Disk_R-this is the actually physical hard drive that is inside your computer.
If you have more than 1 physical hard drive in your system, then Vista will
display it as.
Disk_1, Disk_2, Disk_3, and so on...

Partiton_N is the parition you the user creates on that particular physical hard disk.
If a user has created 2 parition with a single physical hard drive, then Vista will display it as
Disk1 Partition1
Disk1 Partition2.

To make it easier to understand, it like a "birthday cake"

The "birthday cake" is the physical "hard drive"

The pieces you cut on the "birthday cake" will be the "partitions"

As you can see Vista's way of displaying the hard disk inside a system is definitely easier to read and manage. Each hard drive get's its own name and as well as the parition is associates with. This helps user get a better reading of how many hard drive it has and it also let's the user have a better control
as to which parition they want to install the OS into.

Vista's formatting system if not like that of it's previous OSes, In Windows 2000 or XP, you get to
choose between FAT32 or NTFS and after that you have the option of formatting in "normal mode"
or "quick mode". Vista's formatted file system during the OS installation is only NTFS and no
normal or quick mode formats options either. Therefore users won't have to worry too much as to
whether they made a mistake during their installation.
When users are done choosing the hard disk they want to install, users may move on and do
other works until their Vista is finish installing into their systems. During installing part of the installation, Vista will not ask for any type of user input until the whole installation is finish.

Once Windows Vista has completed its installation, it will restart and immediatly display the mini-setup,
similar to Windows XP's but with a lot more control. In Windows XP's mini-setup, user are required to answer a few setup questions follow by typing in their username. Once that is done, they are introduced with that beautiful and yet ugly "Bliss" background and the login picture is random. Therefore if a user don't like the background and their login picture, they will have to change it later on.
In Vista's mini-setup, users are given the option to choose the login picture and the backgroud
they like right from the start, way before Vista's loads.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5426/bk9yq.th.jpg

When the Vista's mini-setup is done, users with WDDM supported graphic cards and WDDM drivers installed will immediately get to see the effects of Aero. Aero is a new type of interface that is different that all it's previous Windows operating systems. In a Aero enviroment users can enjoy their Windows with animation, cleaniness, transprancies, and other effects that will please the user with a Windows Vista OS.
One person in another forum mentioned: "Windows Vista's animation is extremely dramatic, it's soo daramatic, it seems Microsoft has hired a bunch of artist." Well I can't say no to that because Windows Vista's animation is extremly dramatic, it's sooo daramatic that if you take Windows XP
and compare it side by side, it will make Windows XP look extremely dull and
boring!

Now I'll be talking about some of the interesting features found in Windows Vista.

Performance rating and tools
Windows Vista comes with a really useful utility called: Performance rating and tools.
This utility scans your entire system and provide the user with a overall score and individual scores
on the components you have. It also give the user a general idea as to how well their computer is able to run Windows Vista. The performance rating utility scans the for your processor, ram, primary
hard drive, graphic card, and how well you can card is able to handle games which they
called it "Gaming graphics". Also the performace rating tool will get update as newer and
faster components become available.
This is a bit of the performance tool rates a system.
-If a user's system does not have a Aero supported graphic card, then no
matter how high-end their other components are, they will get
a overall score of 1.
-A low-end Aero supported graphic card will get at least a 2.
-As of now the performance rating tool has the following rating: 1 being the lowest
and 5 being the highest.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/156/rating5uq.th.jpg

System Slowdown detector
One unique feature about the Performance rating tool is, it also has
the ability to detect system slowdown. In a pervious Windows system, users would have
to find that problem which take hours, but with this handy detection utlitiy Windows will tell
you which file or driver is causing the problem. Although it tells you what is causing the system
slow-down, but the downside is it will not fix it for you.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9331/slowdown6cu.th.jpg

Windows Calender
Windows Calender is another unique feature in Windows Vista that is really useful. Whether you
just want to set a simple appoinment let's say "Job interview today at 2pm". You can also set reminders, and even share your appoinments with others. Another feature about Windows Calender is the ability to
setup tasks. This lets you have the ability to input your task and let windows Calender reminder you
according to the time you set.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4571/calender5ju.th.jpg

Icon Viewer
Previous Winodows operating systems, users are limited to the following
choices: thumbnails, icons, details, tiles, and list. when viewing their icons, but
in Windows Vista, users can have more control as to how they want their icons to be viewed
by adjusting the "slider".

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1229/viewslider3jx.th.jpg

Security! Security! Security!

One feature which I found it quite helpful is Windows Vista's "UAC".
UAC stands for "User Account Control" and what this feature does is it asks
the user's permission before executing a file or a command. The 50% useful side to UAC is sometimes people make mistakes (including me), like by clicking to fast on execution file. When UAC is enabled
it sets a "block point" before the execution file is deployed. This help the user stop the file
from executing especially if it's a malicious program or some unwanted application.
Some users will find it annoying because it ask for permission on everything that you
do including deleting a simple shortcut!

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7811/uac9av.th.jpg

Parental Controls
Windows Vista is one handy utility that I believe parents will enjoy the most out
of Windows Vista as for the kids well maybe not.
Windows Vista's parental control lets parents set limits on as to what their
child is allowed to do on the computer. Parents gets a handful of useful options
such as setting up time limits, programs allowed to be use, games allowed to be played according
to the game ratings (ESRB), web contents filtering, and to top it all off
it even has a activity report so that parents can have a summary as to what their child is doing.
One thing about using parental control is users with administrative accounts needs to have their
accounts password protected!

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5808/ptrlsum8zo.th.jpg

Overall
As of right now Windows Vista is still in its beta 2 stages and I have to say I'm really impressed
with what Windows Vista has to offer, although there are still some minor glitches (some applications do not work), but so far there are no crashes or BSODs yet (and I hope it stays that way), and when the final version of Windows Vista does come out, will I get it? Yes, but I hope their
final version will be impoved since there are still some flaws in this build.

Now for some misc. info

-I want to tryout Window Vista on my system too!
Microsoft Windows Vista beta 2 is already available at
their Windows Vista site.
Click on the link below to access it.
M$ Windows Vista Beta 2

-Will my computer be able to run Windows Vista?
It all depends on how your computer hardware is configured.
You may download and run the Windows Vista upgrade advisor beta,
and see if your system meets the requirements to run Windows Vista.
Click on the link below
Windows Vista upgrade advisor

-What edition of Windows Vista do we get to try out?
Windows Vista Ultimate edition

-It asked me for a product key, where do I get it?
You may request for a product key, if you have a Windows Live account.
If you don't have, you may use your hotmail account to request
a product key.

-What languages and verision are available ?
Right now there are 3 lanuages of Windows Vista beta 2
*English x86 and x64
*Japanese x86 and x64
*German x86 and x64

-What is x86 and x64?
x86 is 32bit
x64 is 64bit

-How do I get Windows Vista Beta 2?
You may have 2 options to get Windows Vista Beta2
One option is by downloading. You will do need a high speed connection
and a download manager. The other way is by ordering.

-How large are the files?
x86 aprox: 3.8gb
x64 aprox: 4gb and above

Note: This is the English language of the OS.
For other languages of the OS sizes may vary.

-What applications do not work?
Here is a list of programs that does not work on Windows Vista beta 2
click here

Important!
If you are interested in Installing Windows Vista, make sure you have backup your important files.
or have a blank partition on your HD. I'm not responsible if you loose your datas or if
you have system crashes.

And here is a clip of flip-3D

Clip3 Aero

Update: Microsoft's Windows Vista Beta program for consumers is now closed.

A revision update was created after the public release and that is only available to
subscribers.
The revision contains lots of major improvements and it also installs faster (based on other internet
sources).

Requirements for a "Windows Vista Capable" PC (source from M$'s Vista site)
-A processor at least 800MHz
-512MB
-A graphic card with Direct X 9 support

Note: While 512 is able to run, but at least upgrade it to 1GB for better performance

Requirements for a "Windows Vista Premium" PC (source from M$'s Vista site)
-A processor at least of 1GHz either x86 and/or EMT64 or AMD64*
-1GB of ram
-Graphic cards that needs to support the Aero interface
-Graphic cards must have at least 128mb of ram
-At least a 40gb HD with 15gb free space
-A DVD drive
-Audio
and a available internect connection

Note: IF you have a system with the best configuration and your graphic card
does not support the WDDM or LDDM graphic drivers, then you will not get Aero Glass.

If you have a system that somehow meets the "Vista Capable" requiremenst and
your graphic card supports the WDDM or LDDM drivers, then Aero Glass should be available

*x86 is mostly available on all processors.
EMT64 is only available on selected Intel processors
AMD64 is only available on selected AMD processors

Signature

Parental control's a nice feature. I'll use it on my mom if I'm ever stupid enough to get Windows Vista. Until then I'll just have to settle with a bad, but less pathetic OS, Microsoft Windows XP. Don't really have a choice anyways... damn Micro$oft...

Quote: Previous Windows installations will
require a great amount of user input at different times and this can
delay the installation process because if Windows needs your user input and you ignore it, then
the installation will stay right there, until you provide the info it needs.

I don't know which Windows installs you've used, but XP requires next to no user input apart from clicking next and choosing some settings from a pretty gui. And you can automate even using the unattended install function. As for waiting for user input, I would prefer that the system sit and wait for my go ahead instead of just charging on blindly. If I want my install to work without me, I'll use the unattended install. What would be a nice feature is actually asking the user what they want to install (like earlier versions of windows did). I know for a fact I won't use the calender, the parental control system, the slowdown detector or half the glitz and glamour that is provided by Aero. Rather than piling all of that on and having to live with the bloat that comes along with it, I would much rather it never be installed in the first place. Sure, this will make things more difficult for the end user, but the easy way around that is to simply offer this choice as an optional ("Hit F7 to enter Advanced Installation" would work perfectly). But no, those of us who are capable of deciding what we do and do not need installed will have to go along with the masses.

Sure, I'll go and look at Vista when it's released and Oooooh and Aaaahhh with the rest of the crowds, but if you're buying an operating system based on the shallow feature pool Vista offers and the eye candy that seems to be a huge portion of what everyone is excited about, you probably will need the automated install that it comes with.

Quote by jonsey32I don't know which Windows installs you've used, but XP requires next to no user input apart from clicking next and choosing some settings from a pretty gui.

Windows XP will asked for user input during the half part of the installation at
the GUI screen. As for Vista it ask for those same inputs when the OS is actully finishing installing.

Yes I do know how about unattended installs.

And also with all that eye candy and other stuffs it ain't bloatware.
It's all part of the OS. Plus it does not even slow down the entire system.

BTW: Those features mentioned they are not difficult use
even for the end user. And they are all part of the installation.

Edit: There are other features which I did not mentioned such
as partition resizer, bitdrivelocker, tablet functionality,
and backup image creator.

As for you I doubt you will have interest in it, because it's
all "bloatware" so maybe your better off using linux, or better yet Windows95.

Signature

Quote by tiki223And also with all that eye candy and other stuffs it ain't bloatware.
It's all part of the OS. Plus it does not even slow down the entire system.

Then please enlighten me on which part of Vista warrants the somewhat elevated recommended system specs, because I'm pretty sure notepad and minesweeper haven't been revamped that much.

Quote by tiki223Edit: There are other features which I did not mentioned such
as partition resizer, bitdrivelocker, tablet functionality,
and backup image creator.

I admit, Vista does have some features that will make it useful, however the amount of other things that come along with it don't make it worth it. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't know many people who resize their partitions on a regular basis or own graphics tablets, in fact I would go so far as to say a majority of home users don't have a thing to do with them, so why take up more hard drive space installing them in the off chance that the user *might* take advantage of them?

Quote by tiki223so maybe your better off using linux, or better yet Windows95.

I'm already a member of the linux camp, and while I did have hopes that Vista might change that it doesn't look like it's going to happen. (Also, what I will assume is sarcasm, would have worked better with Windows ME).

There are some nice things in Vista that will make some things easier in the future, such as native support for IPv6, Windows DVD Maker and Windows Defender, for those of us who don't want bells and whistles when we just want a basic shell that will be nice and quick (and stay that way longer than XP does) it's a little over the top. In that vein, I'm looking forward to Windows Server Longhorn much more than Vista.

I found out about Windows Vista a few dats ago, I'll probably give it a try, when will it get released?

Vista might be good; I am currently having my doubts. I mean, the system requirements are pretty outrageous, and the fact that not too long ago, Microsoft announced that they need to rewrite 60% of the code does not bode well with me. They also just recently went through a major reorganization because the Windows development was so in shambles. Even Bill Gates, chief architect, just quit his day job at Microsoft; I have a feeling this has something to do with Windows development.

At this point, I've joined the Linux side. XGL has already been released to the public (though it still is a work in progress), and it requires a fraction of the power that Vista's Aero does. Also, distributions like Ubuntu and SuSE are getting about as easy to use as Windows. We only have one Windows computer in the house anymore, and neither my wife nor I use it.

animefairy

animefairy

Bored student

I don't use Windows Vista. Your post was long. XD

Thank you so much to soujiokita fro making my avy and sig! Mega thanks! *hugs*
Signature
Check out my userpage layout by Chichiri1907

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Indeed...WAY too long. I have Windows Vista on my other PC, and as it is right now in beta form...I don't like it. What changes they made are only superficial. Along with that they just re-arranged the order of some menu's and redesigned (stole) the GUI (from Mac OS X). I'm actually in the process of uninstalling it, and putting XP back on. I was also testing the Microsoft Office 2007 Beta as well, and the 2 just don't get along well. So I'll hold my final judgement when the finished product is released...but so far, I'm a no go on Vista.

My dad works for Microsoft and is currently lead designer for file system filters on the vista project. Ive been able to use vista for the last month or so I can say that it is worth every penny. Personally for me upgraiding my comp was for, in many reason, vista and vista products. It kicks more ass then i'd like to admit, but its my opinion :P ^.^ (I get it free through my dad nya nya nya)
Though it has a somewhat mac feel to the layout, its still very "windows" and i love it

??

Xymor

Xymor

I did it because I could

After they release the frist SP, yes. Before that it's just suicide.

"In my world, I rule. I'm Tsukiyomi"
Signature
"Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away to return once more." - Sun Tzu

I use Linux, thus I'm already using the features that Windows Vista has...

Windows in its entirety, has never, ever, and never will be completely finished during its release. Thats why we have something called "Service Packs".. Hopefully they replace IE with some other browser too, like firefox, and make stupid programs like msn messenger (too much memory) uninstallable, so we use less freaking disk space rather than keep em there and never use em... ergh i hate windows sometimes... stupid bill gates..

melikecookies

melikecookies

cookie monster

With Vista comes DirectX10, which should allow for higher quality games. And it will probably take care of some of the problems that XP had, while hopefully not creating any more. I would still wait until the first Service Pack before buying it though...just to be safe >_>

Hi

Vista is graphically a lot nicer than XP but there's no need to upgrade. If you don't have a good system, you won't even be able to use the new interface anyway. There won't be any programs that require DirectX 10 any time soon since DirectX 10 will be exclusive to Vista and it wouldn't be profitable to make something that only runs on an OS that's less than a year old. Most of the other features of Vista are just extra applications that you can get for XP anyway. It'll be nice to check out Vista but it definately won't be something people need to upgrade to anytime soon.

With the specs mentioned (512MB RAM, graphic card with Direct X 9 support), old PCs are surely going to crumble with Vista...

While for the "Vista Premium", it asked more: 1GHz proc, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB graphic-card, 15 GB free HDD space...

-_-

It will be hard for old PCs. Mine is currently P4 1.6 GHz (overclocked to 1904 MHz), with 256 MB RAM, and GeForce 4-mx 440, 64 MB (DX7 support) -- and it works very well for me (mainly for drawing with photoshop, though).

Vista is too luxury for an OS, I think. I'd rather go with XP for some time, or Linux-with-CrossOver to run photoshop in it.

It's interesting to note, Vista will work on some very low spec machines. However, once you take it back to the very lowest settings, there's not much in the way of selling points to move from XP in the first place.

My main problem with vista is a few nasty rumors I have been hearing about recently. Like, for instance, how it requires to use your nice video card's 3-d rendering system 24/7, thus if you're using the ATI overclocker which only kicks in during 3-d applications, you're going to heat up your system a bit more. ALSO something I dislike, from what I've heard, it is NOT compatable with dual video cards as of Beta2, which is almost necessary to play the newest games at the highest resolutions, ESPECALLY if you have a very large monitor/TV.

If the system isn't capable of running at higher loads for extended periods then you either need to rethink your cooling solutions or simply reduce the graphics quality of the operating system (which you can do) to reduce the load on the video card. Vista isn't going to force you to run your system at its limits.

Raiynagh

Raiynagh

fr0gm45+3r

From what i've heard of the DRM in it, I'm none too keen. Plus I only really play Halo, so there's not much need for DirectX 10. Oh, and I'd have to buy a new version of Windowblinds when it came out.

I feel the need to switch to Linux.

If we talk in a very high pitched voice, the fish can't hear us...

Quote by RaiynaghFrom what i've heard of the DRM in it, I'm none too keen. Plus I only really play Halo, so there's not much need for DirectX 10. Oh, and I'd have to buy a new version of Windowblinds when it came out.

I feel the need to switch to Linux.

Although Vista may have a stricter DRM scheme, but that does not mean
you don't have DRMs today. Take Apple's music format as a sample.
You can only play it on iTunes or on your iPod and that's DRM.
You just have to know how to deal with it.
Also upcoming movies in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray requires hardware
decryption support (HDCP) in order to view it in it's full HD format.
So by saying Vista has DRMs, look again DRM is everywhere.

Also Windows Vista RC1 is avaliable for download.
If you did not have a chance to get beta 2 now
is another chance for those who missed it.

RC1 is build 5536
beta 2 is 5384.

Customer Preview Program

Signature

Quote by RaiynaghFrom what i've heard of the DRM in it, I'm none too keen. Plus I only really play Halo, so there's not much need for DirectX 10. Oh, and I'd have to buy a new version of Windowblinds when it came out.

What you don't seem to understand that Microsoft doesn't really have a choice when it comes to DRM, as it's being pushed by many other companies. For example, if Microsoft didn't integrate support for HDCP, then even people who had HDCP-enabled displays would still only be able to view the low bandwidth stream. By including HDCP support, even though currently many people don't have HDCP displays will be able to use Vista, we can still use Vista. Everyone is happy. Without it, it would be like dropping a shiny new V8 in your car only to find out the crankshaft snaps if you take it over 60.

Nucleous

Nucleous

I will be taking you to.....

Nice review and setup there!

SMILE, even through your tears!!!!!
Life is not Measured by the number of Breaths we
take, but by the Moments that Take our Breath Away.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Designator

Gotta admire the lenghty post on this subject! Just read some highlights seems interesting.

Quite content with Windows XP at the moment so not thinking about upgrading to vista in any near future. Will probably get more involved when our company decides to look at it instead of the current XP platform.

"He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.