Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 ATTN Scanners: Purging of Non-Credited Scans - Minitokyo

ATTN Scanners: Purging of Non-Credited Scans

This thread is closed for posting.

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 69 total items

aestalitz

Scanner

aestalitz

Quote by kuroimisaaestalitz
Yes, even "NOT MY SCAN" without a site or link is okay. Simply because sometimes people can't remember. We just want people to acknowledge the fact that they did or did not scan it.
As for the first post, I think it's just stating that if you know where it's from, state it. If not, then "not my scan" is a last resort :)

Oh, I mean for the newer scans being put up now, not the older ones. Forgot to mention that, sorry. ^^;

I know people may not remember where they got the scans for their older submissions (let's say... a year back or something) but what about the scans currently being put up now? Honestly, I think it's very unfair to let people continue putting up scans without proper credits now, considering that 'From today onwards all scans....' was stated.

And as for the last part of your comment, if people were allowed to continue to do that as a 'last resort', anybody feeling lazy can just immediately save a scan from a website, put it up on MT and say "not my scan", even though they got the scan less than five minutes back, and even know where they got it. And they get credits when people comment on the scans and fave them, which is unfair. What about that, then? :o?

GintheTwilightswords

GintheTwilightswords

Burn away the regret and dread.

kuroimisa
I understand that,but if you noticed our galleries and the amount of submissions that are put through everyday,that's alot,even with the armada of mods at the disposal of the site.

I know it's not a matter of freeing up space,but if you look at it that way it is,but the binding factor here it is to reinforce a rule that was put into effect here pretty much the same time I joined two years ago.As far as members putting credits in their works I actually see that alot more with people who submit wallpapers or doujinshi for that matter.

And I'll agree with you on members knowing they should do so if they took time to read the rules,which a good portion of them probably don't (therefore your stuffs getting remoced).At any rate,I still stand on my notion that it is more trouble than it's worth.Now I shall ride off into the sunset before someone tries to bite my head off about my opinion (haven't been this active in a thread here in awhile).

merged: 08-09-2006 ~ 06:40pm
aestalitz does make a good point btw,which is pretty much what I've been trying to state and that quote just clarifies her point even more. *rides off into sunset*

Signature Image
Dear sister you shall always hold a place in my heart

@ aestalitz: About your friend's scan, if it really bothers her you should PM the member who uploaded it and politely ask they amend their description to say "scanned by _____". If he/she ignores you, PM again, but don't get snappy and demanding. That will only make them unwilling to comply.

While it's true that some people are simply lazy and don't give the source when they know full well where it came from, the fact is that the vast majority of MT's scans are not scanned by the members, so to delete everything not giving a source, even just the new submissions, would essentially kill the galleries and be very unfair to the many members who honestly have no clue where the image came from.

We just don't want people to see MT as a hypocritical site that pulls scans from all over the web and yet has strict policies regarding 'ripping'.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

aestralitz
I understand your concern that it is indeed quite unfair if people know their sources but don't state it. But there's nothing we can really do about it ^_^' I trust that most people will be willing to credit where their scans are from. Whether or not they do... well, we'll never know. And as LordWe nicely put it, it's unfair for those who really can't remember. So either way... yeah. It'll have to do.

Gin
Perhaps it is more trouble than it's worth, but it was a result of just letting scans slip by. Since we've started, there's no stopping or else it'll be unfair to those who have to resubmit.
And those who truly want to contribute to the community should be more than willing to resubmit or edit descriptions. If I had my scans deleted, I'd be happy to reupload. Not a single 'hassle' in the world. :)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

::. Back in Singapore .::

Quote by kuroimisaaestralitz
I understand your concern that it is indeed quite unfair if people know their sources but don't state it. But there's nothing we can really do about it ^_^' I trust that most people will be willing to credit where their scans are from. Whether or not they do... well, we'll never know. And as LordWe nicely put it, it's unfair for those who really can't remember. So either way... yeah. It'll have to do.

Just want to add... some scans can be scanned by another person and not really from your friend's blog... as we all know people have scanners and are bound to use them.. and also people are bound to stumble upon the same artbook and sources... thus the scan could easily be contributed by another person...

Just a note i do agree that scans should be credited more than just not my scan but... me like most people cant always remember who i got the scans before besides i dont have the habit of writing down the owners ;)

a big THANK YOU to my lovely and humorous friend,the irresistable Devilet X-P
Signature
No time to make a userpage....
Junkii member no. 16

MadMover

MadMover

The Underside of the Kitties Paw

The question I have is simple. If my scans said that they were scanned in from my Onegai Teacher artboof, or my Onegai Twins artbook ect. Then why were they deleted?

Believe in the freedom of music!

Signature

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

Quote by MadMoverThe question I have is simple. If my scans said that they were scanned in from my Onegai Teacher artboof, or my Onegai Twins artbook ect. Then why were they deleted?

as they have told many times saying that it was scanned by whichever artbook does not mean that it is scanned by you...
Thus the best way is to just say that it is "scanned by me from_______ artbook" or "Not my scan from _______ artbook"

Quote by saikusaSaying WHAT it came from is NOT the same as saying WHO made it.

To Everyone Who Had a Scan Deleted For Lack of Credit

You will not be given the opportunity to have your scans returned to the gallery & editted. We do not have the time to chase these up later in the vain hope that you might have logged on. It's just not pracitcal & it's messes up the hard work we've done over the last month.

I'm sorry, but you will need to resubmit your scans just like everyone else.

Signature
Junkii member no. 16

aestalitz

Scanner

aestalitz

Quote by kuroimisaaestralitz

In that case, what exactly is the main purpose of this rule then, if most people are not going to follow it? ^_^'

Hiraku-San
It really is the same scan. I have viewed it for myself and compared it to my friend's. Same pixel sizes, same tilted image, and same shadows running alongside the sides of the scan. But anyway, someone else has pointed out to that person and she has credited the scan thus far and I decided to let the matter drop.

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

Quote by aestalitz

Quote by kuroimisaaestra(...)

In that case, what exactly is the main purpose of this rule then, if most people are not going to follow it? ^_^'

you know that is a good question... one that i failed to ask or theorised a good reason... Yea i really want to know ;)

Signature
Junkii member no. 16

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

aestaliz
People ARE going to follow the rule from now on to at least make an effort to write NOT MY SCAN.
As for this "rule" you keep on talking about, it's driving me mad because you keep referring to the first post, whereas I keep referring to the Minitokyo Policy:

Quote: All scans must have proper credit given to their sources. The statement "not my scan" or any of its variants may only be used if the member does not have and cannot in any way obtain full credit for the scan. If members obtained the scan from a third party image site, members must provide the original url to the image in the gallery description.

And MOST people will follow this "rule".

I won't argue any further on this, because the thread's issue is not whether or not this rule is effective, being followed or not etc. This is a news announcement to notify people and to answer questions on what to report and other related things in the process of purging.

Hiraku-san
Stop going off the topic/ quoting with one line responses.

EDIT: I also apologise if I sounded snappy. I've been drugged for the past 48+ hours and I just would like to keep this thread clear of any stemming discussions, as other posts may be overlooked.

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Many people have been questioning why the rule is in place. A majority of members seem to be unaware of this however if you think about it the rule has the same purpose as most other laws in this world, basically running down towards ownership and property. If it's yours say so and if it isn't say so.

There have been numerous incidents where scans have been submitted, whether credited or not, and have had to be taken down because their owner found them and wanted them down. Likewise they may have originated from a website where the artist states not to have their works posted elsewhere.

Now if the artist finds their works here (as has happened before) and the member hasn't specifically stated it's not their scan, I'm sure you can come up with a number of colouful scenarios. It's good manners, it's legally sound and after everyone starts following the rule, it will benefit the reputation of this community.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

Saikusa

Retired Moderator

Saikusa

~ scan-holic ~

Here's the less verbal version of what johnny said...

Because the rule is TWO YEARS OLD!

We don't make rules up for the hell of it. We enforce the rules because that's what moderators are for.

The End.

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

Quote by littlejonny100
Now if the artist finds their works here (as has happened before) and the member hasn't specifically stated it's not their scan, I'm sure you can come up with a number of colouful scenarios. It's good manners, it's legally sound and after everyone starts following the rule, it will benefit the reputation of this community.

Just for thought:

Now, not that I'm NOT supporting the Copyright law, most scans here are scaned from copyrighted products. And under no circumstance, whether credited or not, the contents of the product to be distributed or used for public purposes without the concensus of the proper authorties.

Which means: many of the scans here, in the net, whatever, including wallpapers, are illegal; just that there are too many to deal with. :)

aaron1

aaron1

air_in_1

What should I do if I don't remember where I got my scans?

Many of my scans have been in Minitokyo for about two years and are labelled as "Not my scan". Even some of the other recent scans I still don't remember where I found them. It seems kind of pointless to search all over the net to find where I got these scans in the first place.

Signature
How many black dots can you see?

*sigh* aaron1, it has been stated many times that "not my scan" is sufficient if you don't know where the image came from.

AWOL, the whole copyright mess with images on the internet is really not worth mentioning. Images will never disappear from the web, and legal action is only pursued if monetary gain from these artists' products is taking place, and no one on or affiliated with MT is receiving money for these scans and wallpapers. In many cases these images lead to people purchasing artbooks of any given artist, so in a way, it is a bit like free advertisement. I for one have purchased many artbooks of artists I have discovered by browsing MT's galleries.

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

Quote by LordWeAWOL, the whole copyright mess with images on the internet is really not worth mentioning. Images will never disappear from the web, and legal action is only pursued if monetary gain from these artists' products is taking place, and no one on or affiliated with MT is receiving money for these scans and wallpapers. In many cases these images lead to people purchasing artbooks of any given artist, so in a way, it is a bit like free advertisement. I for one have purchased many artbooks of artists I have discovered by browsing MT's galleries.

Like I said, it's 'just for thought.' :)

Images do not vanish into thin-air, yes, but they do replicate in rapid proportions.

As far as I'm concerned many artists DON'T want their work distributed on the net because if they have it there, why would anyone want to buy their collector's edition design books? That's where the copyright rule comes in place.

Saikusa

Retired Moderator

Saikusa

~ scan-holic ~

This is not the place to debate the legality of scans. It's just a simple rule that adds a little courtesy by giving credit to whoever made a scan. End of story.

lamite

lamite

White Japanese

The fact is some of the scans I will post were found on a FTP... 4 years ago !
How can I do please, 'cause I dont want see my gallerie deleted, for me and for the community.

Please Help !

ARG! People, please read the policy and the other posts in this thread! It has been stated many, many times that "not my scan" is sufficient if you don't remember where the scan came from.

Seeing as this thread has served its purpose and every conceivable question regarding the purge has been asked and answered more than a few times, I believe this thread should be closed.

lamite

lamite

White Japanese

Ok, thank you :)
It is just that it seems difficult for moderators to know if the poster of the scan is just too lazy to note the source or if he/she really don't remember the source.

But this answer is just perfect. ;)

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

I concur with LordWe; I'll go ahead and close this now.

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 69 total items

Back to News | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.