Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Buying Manga/Anime - Waste of money? - Minitokyo

Buying Manga/Anime - Waste of money?

Do you think buying manga/anime is a waste of money?

No.
77 votes
Yes.
10 votes

Only members can vote.

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 98 total items

If you can read Japanese and can get to Japan....then manga is extremely affordable. Used bookstores carry manga for anywhere from 100-700yen (700 being the big adult ones, and even that is pretty rare). Popular series, like Bleach, might be 300yen, but that's still under $3 per volume. Book-Off is a popular used bookstore branch that even has offices in the United States (I know there's one in LA and NYC, and I think Seattle but I'm not sure).

As for anime, I personally am one of those people who likes HAVING things. So in my case I find it worthwile. Of course, I don't actually own EVERYTHING that I also have in fansub form, but then, I'm still in college and don't have a steady income yet. Someday though, someday.

If you are worrying about your budget, just rent it.

First of all: Hello to everyone, i am new and i am from Italy ^_^
Then..i think that everything that make you feel good isn't a waste of money or time.

not to me...unless buying something you thoroughly enjoy is a waste of money. Although yes, it is indeed possible to download them off the internet, it's simply not the same. I also agree with Hyas in that it's supporting the author. Then again, I like to draw the manga AND read it, so it's definitely worth the money to me.

Not at all, it looks so nice when you line the whole series up on the shelves. =)

First, welcome CiccioGaru, and second I agree.
It is NOT a waste- it is impossible. I like owning things too! If I rent it or loan it, I cannot enjoy it to its full extent, it is just incomplete, and go all the way or not at all. And yea, a complete series does add a little to a room...

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

Lets see, I got 41 mangas, eleven from Del Rey so those are about 12 dollars. The rest are from various companies, usually cost about $10.50.
So... it comes up too about $450 US. I didn't add the taxes by the way. Maybe it up to $470?

Anime wise, $25 for Kino no Tabi. Four OST for lets say $15 each so $60. Various figurines/models in total... $200?
Artbooks, I have four and a calender... lets say $25 each and $20 for the cal so $120?

Lets see... $855-920 during a period of about four years since I started buying. Ouch...

So yeah, it does drain money but spend wisely and you'll be in good shape. Don't be like me when I was 15 spending $50 every two month or two for mangas.

Cutting down to nearly 0 percent on gaming helps... don't make me add that up...

Learning little by little.
Signature

I think it only a waste if you get a super long series that is still ongoing and pretty much never ends. Eg:Naruto. If you get DVDs that go for more than 100 episodes, it is also a waste.

no. i dun really think that buying anime or manga is a waste of money if u dun have any money problems and that u r using your own mney to buy them. besides if that particular anime or manga is really good then i think it is ok to buy them.
also some manga does not have the anime so u cannot download them. and if that particular manga or anime have two different story plot then by watching the anime or reading the manga u dun really get the whole story what.
so i think that as long as u have the money and the manga or anime is really good then buying manga or anime is not a waste of money! oh ya if u have siblings u can sometimes share the prices thus saving a little bit of money of course if your siblings dun mind lah... hahaz :D

merged: 11-21-2006 ~ 01:49pm
this is what i think lah
different people have different views lah

Gallopia

Gallopia

__DaRK_ HImE__

well it depends if the anime is nice to watch :D

Signature

Gallopia copy rights! DaRK HiME has return....

I would not call it waste but neither would I call it cheap either. I've been into collecting mangas for a long time and I have massive collections all over my house. ^_^'

Buying anime or manga is definitely not a waste of money.
That is of unless of course your buying downloaded fansubbed animes or buying either chinese/japanese or any other language that you can't understand. XD

himura088

himura088

~Smile

Thanks all for participating in my thread! :)

kazahana

kazahana

IDW spartan no 3

Quote by AdventSXIt is wrong to download manga off the internet, but its just so much easier than having to pay for it.
If you look for it, you can find high quality translated scans for most mangas.
I wouldnt' really call it a waste of money, i guess the satisfaction you get from actually buying a manga is enough.
Cheers
(I would just like to point out, i have no actually bought a manga to date, i can usually find anything on the internet anyway. So i just download it {i know, im evil})

i cant agree more. :D

behold the power of AWD!!!
Signature
Member of Abyss-of-the-Sea
Wings-Lovers

I dont buy anime, I just cant afford it, poor university student :( I do buy manga periodically though, mostly negima. Planning on getting hellsing and psychic academy later.

ellymate

loveless angel

depends,but i think that worths the money i really want my collection to be completed :D

Be wacky , be crazy , be silly , be random cuz life is too short to BE COOL!

It is not a waste of money if you buy the ones you are really interested in. If you buy them, read and watch them then leave them somewhere and not going back to them after some time, then it is a waste.

I just download it all

Signature

JetKrazy

JetKrazy

Planetarian

No. It isn't. It helps support the people that made that manga/anime so that you can have more to enjoy.

If you just download it all (anime torrents, scanslations of licensed manga, etc) then the people lose a lot of money, and you won't have any more manga. Then what?

JamKuradoberi

JamKuradoberi

once again

I don't think it's a complete waste of money [ some consider it to be this way ] .
In my country you can't find anime/manga so the only place for me to get it is the internet - via download. If i had a credit card I think there'd be some stuff i'd like to buy.

I don't think it's a waste of money as long as you really love that manga or anime. I have read Angel Sanctuary and have it on my computer, but I still buy the manga, because I like it a lot and have a certain feeling knowing that I own it.

Definitely not at all.. It's considered as a hobby.. people have different hobbies and i think it is only fair to consider Anime/Manga collection as a hobby.. I, for one collects Anime and Manga.. ^^

No i don't think buying manga books is a waste of money. Yea i know sometimes here where i am it is pretty expensive sometimes. But i treasure my manga books and i would never say that they are a waste of money.

I don't think that buying manga or anime is a waste of money. I think that it's a waste of not buying them at all.

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 98 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.