Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How do you vector? - Minitokyo

How do you vector?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I made a post search and didn't find anything about it ^_^'

I've seen many vectors, and it's impressive how it can look like the original. I'd like to vector, too, because I have some pictures I wish I could get in bigger resolutions but I just can't find any, plus I'd like to start making wallpapers with vectors, that'd be nice :D

So... To those who vector, how do you vector?

SakuraShirayuki

SakuraShirayuki

Avoidance will annihilate you...

well i start with the outlines and than the colors ^^
each color has a new layer ^^

Do you use a program or something? Excuse my stupid questions, it's that I don't know anything about vectoring ^_^'

dMp

dMp

^___________^

yes, you use programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and some other. it's not easy for beginners but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. just need to get used to the pentool :D. there was some tutorials on vectoring in the forums here before. not sure if it's still around.

Chloe

Retired Moderator

Chloe

てめら~!!

If you need a step-by-step tutorial (for Photoshop), you can check out this tut (Tell me if the link doesn't work, it doesn't work for some people)~

Signature Image
Like video game posters? Click on my signature image!
Latest wallpaper: Red Ninja

Thank you so much, Chloe-chan! The link works! Thank you again!

I was going to make a thread about vectoring... but then I saw this one, so I figure I'll ask here.
Does anyone have any vectoring tutorials for Illustrator?

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

striket

striket

I_Work_4_Fluke_Now

This might help.

The Basics Of Illustrator

There are plenty of tuts over at DevArt.

Signature
Gekkostate! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group! | Zero no Tsukaima -Futatsuki no Kishi!

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Here are some links to vector tutorials for different programs, like Illustrator (the most popular program), Flash, Freehand, Photoshop, and PSP (which is the one I use):
[link]

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

its best to use a true vector based program such as Illustrator.

Signature Image

I've never heard of Illustrator. Can I download it from someplace?

Illustrator
It's like Photoshop for vectors, and they are fully compatible with each other.
You can download a free trial there, but I think it's only for 30 days or something like that.

Thanks for the vectoring tuts! ^_^

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Yeah photoshop isn't really a vector-based program. Rather, it converts vectors to pixels, so when you resize it, the quality isn't preserved. I believe that besides Illustrator, Corel Draw, Flash, and PaintShop all are true vector-based functions.

Thanks a lot for the tips and tuts, guys! I really appreciate it!

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

I don't own Photoshop or Illustrator, so I used to use the GIMP, which is a free open-source raster editor. However, I recently downloaded another open source program, Inkscape, which is an actual vector editor (search for it on sourceforge.net). Though I haven't done any full vectors with it, I can already tell it will be very good for that purpose. There's a tutorial for Inkscape here.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

gaara-no-shukaku

gaara-no-shukaku

Retired Waller

I'm quite new with vectoring, but here's my tips:
Start with the outline, and then colour it, then put the shadow, then 'poof', it's done. But you have to vector the eyes carefully, sometimes it turns weird.
Play around with the outline to make it smooth.
Bring the outline as top layer, so the vector looks balanced.

Vectoring sure isn't simple at all >.< Especially if you don't use Photoshop or any similar program at all... But, I hope I'll get the hang of it soon with the help you guys gave me! Thanks to all of you so very much! I think I now have all the things I need to know to start vectoring!

Klain

Legendary Friend

One of the faster ways to learn vectoring is to learn only the pen tool (fill/stroke/select/angle/bend etc.) Something else that is really important... learn the shortcut keys to hold while using pen tool. Normally I select Pen tool, and click starting point, then click and hold next point, bend how i want it, then (if i want it to not bend and make a straight line) hold ALT and click the last point made, it will reset its angle to none. (If you hold alt and touch a point in between 2 others like: []------------[o]-------------[] it will allow u to edit its bending and if u pay close attention to the anchor point it shows u the range of the bend on both sides of it, while continuing to hold ALT, u can basically select each bend point individually and adjust one of the two sides. Like everything else it takes practice. One thing is true tho, Photoshop isnt vector based the whole time, once u stroke/fill it, its pixels, so if u want to keep the vectors, make it all, then go to paths window and rename the default path to something like "Original Image Vector" and from then on, u can just copy that over to a new document, resize and adjust as u like and it will come out 100% perfect each time, (no stretch marks :P) If you need images to see what i mean in any step, please feel free to ask for em :)

http://www.melissaclifton.com/tutorial-vector.html

a good tutorial. Worked a charm on my understanding of how to make vectors.

Quote by KlainOne of the faster ways to learn vectoring is to learn only the pen tool (fill/stroke/select/angle/bend etc.) Something else that is really important... learn the shortcut keys to hold while using pen tool. Normally I select Pen tool, and click starting point, then click and hold next point, bend how i want it, then (if i want it to not bend and make a straight line) hold ALT and click the last point made, it will reset its angle to none. (If you hold alt and touch a point in between 2 others like: []------------[o]-------------[] it will allow u to edit its bending and if u pay close attention to the anchor point it shows u the range of the bend on both sides of it, while continuing to hold ALT, u can basically select each bend point individually and adjust one of the two sides. Like everything else it takes practice. One thing is true tho, Photoshop isnt vector based the whole time, once u stroke/fill it, its pixels, so if u want to keep the vectors, make it all, then go to paths window and rename the default path to something like "Original Image Vector" and from then on, u can just copy that over to a new document, resize and adjust as u like and it will come out 100% perfect each time, (no stretch marks :P) If you need images to see what i mean in any step, please feel free to ask for em :)

To be honest, I'm the type to understand things more visually than theorically, so, if you could provide me with pictures explaining these steps, I'd really appreciate it ^_^' And truly sorry for the bothering!

drastikhate

drastikhate

Plead Insanity

Wow! thanks for sharing the links! I always find Illustrator as time consuming.

Klain

Legendary Friend

Quote by twilightofrose
To be honest, I'm the type to understand things more visually than theorically, so, if you could provide me with pictures explaining these steps, I'd really appreciate it ^_^' And truly sorry for the bothering!

No problem, Ill make a video containing those shortcuts and ill explain in the video, i just hope it helps the MT community as well as you personally :) and nothing's a bother, helping other fellow artists to be, is something i always approve of. :D

I may post it later today tho, cause right now my lil nephew is over and he wont be quite for 5 seconds lol, so just gimme a while and ill definately post it for ya :)

Quote by Klain

Quote by twilightofrose

No problem, Ill make a video containing those shortcuts and ill explain in the video, i just hope it helps the MT community as well as you personally :) and nothing's a bother, helping other fellow artists to be, is something i always approve of. :D

I may post it later today tho, cause right now my lil nephew is over and he wont be quite for 5 seconds lol, so just gimme a while and ill definately post it for ya :)

Oh, that's okay, take your time! No need to rush at all :) Thank you very much!

Klain

Legendary Friend

Here you are, if u need further explination or more help please feel free to ask.

Klain's Quick Pen Tool Tutorial

I admit, even for someone who has used photoshop for 6 years now, we make mistakes lol X-P

So long as the point is made, i don't mind leaving my mistakes in em hehe

:pacman:- - - - - O

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.