Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Virginia Tech Shooting - Minitokyo

Virginia Tech Shooting

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 42 total items

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

I was actually at the rec center working out when I saw this on one of the rec center TVs. I didnt realize how serious it was until I read some articles online a couple minutes ago. I seriously cant believe there would be someone crazy enough to shoot innocent students in class. One article I was reading was this article. At the bottom of the article, they discuss two group's viewpoints - the people against guns, and the people for the guns. The people for the guns say its better if everyone is allowed to own a gun so they can protect themselves from gun-wielding madmen. The people against the guns say its better if guns are more strictly controlled so they dont end up in the hands of madmen.

My first thought when I read the comment by the Gun owners of America was "what, now we're gonna fight guns with guns?" That just sounds very..immature. Theyre using this as an excuse to make guns look better, when in reality, theyre making it sound like we should have our own little wars with madmen who walk in with guns. I dont see how protecting ourselves with guns is going to help solve the issue. Madmen with guns are totally unpredictable. These Gun owners of America are treating this massacre like we are hunting deer (the deer as in the madman) or something. What theyre forgetting is that deer dont have guns and we see them before they see us. The madmen come in with one motive - to kill. And they have suprise on their side. Now tell me - how are you supposed to protect yourself with a gun when youre already dead? Im sorry, but what they just said is laughable. Yes, if someone else in the room has a gun, they can stop the massacre, but by then theres going to be at least 10 people dead. And in this case, the guy who killed people obviously didnt care whether he ended up dying or not. So i really dont think hes going to care if someone points a gun at him and tells him to stop shooting or else. Hes just going to shoot whoever opposes him.

Of course, there is always the chance that another student with a gun can shoot the madman's hand or injure him in some way that he would be unable to hurt anyone, but what are the chances of a student, with a gun, who has good enough aim, to be sitting in that class room on that day in that state at that time.

So please, tell me what you think about this. Should America have stricter gun laws, or more relaxed ones? I would also like to hear your opinions on the massacre.

This is such a sad incident, and I really hope it never has to happen again. Those people that were killed obviously had a bright future ahead of them since they were attending college, and some professors were even killed. This also really affects the seniors graduating from high school this year since I'm sure there were many students looking at Virginia Tech as their first choice college.

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

That was crazy. I know how you feel abou it. i think this is all a big mess up and all those people My teachers were all poed about it. I think it is CRAZY!

Honchay

Honchay

Freak minded brain...

Im with you blue princess, and with all those ppl. U know, im from Venezuela, but, whatever, its the same world, dont care where we from, in my country, that success like Virginia Tech, never happen there, Thanks God, but here, in the streets at the day, i saw a few times, a children (13+ years) stealing the ppl in a bus with a Real Gun! THATS A REALLY CRITIC SITUATION. OK, the police captured him, but, cuz he have about 13 years the law in here cant do nothing. And many times the f*cked government realize disarm actions, the ppl with guns stay here. Now, about Virginia Tech, im very sad about what happen there, its a injustice that innocent ppl die cause a one crazy guy. My question is, how that guy have entered in the school with a gun, what happen with the security guards? I think, the school needs more attention cuz its a place that all the ppl around the world goes for studies, the government just worries about Irak, Terrorism, etc, etc, ok... are CRITICAL points to care, but, they dont care about the internal problems like that happen or yes? I saw in the TV a Bush discussion he say are very sad, but i dont think so, he just talks, he just lies, all presidents are liers, the goverment lies (An example? See V of Vendetta movie) the presidents just want more POWER, and they dont care nothing about what happen in his country like my country, here, in one day, 8 ppl die with a fire gun 8 x 7 days = 56 ppl killed in one week in my city (Just my city, i dont wanna know the counts of the the rest of cities) i think, we are Worse than the same Iraq...

About fight guns with guns, its a blasfemia, its stupid to promote this, i know, we need guns to fight those stealers and drugs ppl, but thats not the right way, anyways, what we can do!?

The point is, im really sad with what happen there, and i know i cant do nothing, thats exasperant. You said it "Should America have stricter gun laws". And not only America...

Well... thats my opinion, hope can understand me, im feeling like you...

God Bless you all and peace...

"En este mundo existen cosas preciosas, porque no todos podemos poseerlas...
Todo lo extrano y escaso nos parece maravilloso y unico...
Pero en cierto modo, muchos no saben apreciar o mantener al tanto, tales bellezas..."

URanimEnigma

URanimEnigma

No substitute for experience.

I say, That if people want to protect themselves then don't use guns. Nor anything such as an intention to harm.

A writer, like an artist, can create.
An Artist, like a writer, can compose

Tht's really scary O.o ~
Well, yea, the guns are for the police to protect us, but ppl can simply buy guns easy and shooting around ...
Tht's just crazy ^_^'

It's a shame that so many had to die because of someone else's weakness.
These things can be prevented but hardly ever are.

Yeah, that was really scary and sad. 33 killed, more injured. Terrible.
But I think the problem is not with the guns, but rather with the people. Sure, restricting guns might do a little help, but in the end, I think it's better if we focus on helping the people.

Because PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

yeah i know i live only about 45 minutes from VT in roanoke. But about the gun issue, putting a stop to normal people having guns will not stop the problem. Law abiding citizens are not the problem. there are thousands of illegal firearms imported into the US every day. If you take away guns from the general public and law abiding citizens then you are only giving more power to the people who obtain them illegally. It is arguable that if guns had more restrictions on them or not released to the general public then this may not have happened. But it is also arguable that if everyone on the campus had a weapon then the situation would have been much different. Have you ever heard on someone attacking a gun show? i sure havent. 1 dead dumbass attacked 50 armed people. very different headline. However, as a gun enthusiest, i do belive in one stricter control over guns. Before a gun can be sold, a background check must be performed and registration must be accpeted before the gun can be bought. This is not the case in gun shows. You want that gun and you have the money, it's your's. I don't like that. This is where this man got the guns he used. This has been on a bill several times before, and each time it has been shot down. Hopefully, they will re-think thier earlier decision the next time this bill comes around. But banning guns from public use will not stop gun crimes. i look forward the comming weeks when people will be blaming everything but the shooter himself. It was violence in video games, it was music. BS. i love violent video games and movies and i listen to heavy metal, but that doesnt mean i'm going to kill 30 innocent people just for the hell of it. the guy had an argument with his girlfriend, shot her and an R.A. then comes back 2 hours later and kills 30 other people. He was messed up. period.

for more info on the gun issue:
Gun Control

Signature ImageThere was glitter everywhere! It looked like somebody stabbed a pixie.
Roadie of .::DarK LeaF::.

Ochibi-san

Ochibi-san

v. ?? ?? ?

Mmm, I heard about it this morning. I'm a really slow person..and I don't watch the news very often...and I was really shocked that people were killed. Then I got a little freaked out that what if someone was lurking around in my uni.?

Personally, I don't see the point of owning one..sure a hunting rifle is okay, (I'm still against animal cruelty...T_T) but do people honesty go far as owning a gun? Yes, fighting gun with guns doesn't only sound immature, it is. It'll give people more chances of shooting one another. Like, sometimes I want to shoot a couple people in my life, (who shall remain nameless...<.<) but still, I hold my anger in. Now, if I had a gun in this situation, it'll give them more chances of getting kill.

It's really sad that all those people die just because some guy was crazy...it shows that violence isn't the answer. (Don't get me started on the war in Iraq....)

v. ?? ?? ?

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

guns gave you your independence. They weren't fighting with swords in 1775. Was it immature for them to sand up for what they knew was right. A key factor in our win was our rifles. They had rifling while the British had smoothbore barrels. The rifling gave our guys extra range and accuracy. Anyone can say violence isnt the answer when they have never been exposed to it. lets say there is a terrorist sleeper cell in the US (there is a good possibility that there is) they have you and your family cornered and there is a gun laying on the gun. are you just going to sit there and let them kill you and your family? i think not.

Signature ImageThere was glitter everywhere! It looked like somebody stabbed a pixie.

LifeAndColor

The Observer

Its insane that people can just come to a decision to kill someone. Its also not far from the date of Columbine shooting too. I wonder if that is of any significance.

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

i think we need to go back to swords and horse carriages XD

Signature Image

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

why does it matter. people will still be killed isnt that what we're trying to avoid here? the needless slaughter of innocent people. would the outcome have been any different if the guy had had 2 swords instead of 2 guns. i think more people would have died actually. a bullet wound is a lot more survivable (depending on where you are hit) than a sword wound (which doesnt really matter where you are hit because it will sever everything in its path). is a man with a gun any more dangerous than a man with a sword if he goes up against unarmed people?

I was completely shocked when I heard about this. And it was appalling on how late the students received the news about it. But then again, we can't blame anyone why this happened. Because if you take the time to think about, all the situations was hard to deal with.

I don't like guns at all, but your question is quite hard to answer. If we have stricter laws on it, people could go against it even more, and I have a feeling it won't turn out well if we have stricter laws. But if we do have more relaxed, it's not going to be any better than having stricter ones. If the government allows us to carry guns everywhere we go, I believe more lives will be taken and more gun fights will revolve. All we can do is increase our aware level and have more security when entering buildings and such. But we can do so little to protect the people, because someone is always going to find a way to get around it.

The gunman was said to be a quiet guy. He was a student there. He wrote two plays and they were all described as gruesome and so disturbing, that the students wouldn't be surprised if he was the gunman. It was so horrible to hear about this. It's the most violent massacre occurred in the US.

Signature Image
+ Latest Work.:A Dying Friend

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Could not the answer lie in tighter security on all or large and major universities? Virginia Tech is a big university, are there metal detectors on each of the entrances to the buildings housing the classrooms? Security guards?

I was under the impression from the news that the first shooting took place on a monday nearly a week before? Not 2 hours before he killed the 32 innocent people. If that is the case, why was not security tightened much much more? That should have been a VERY large warning going off in someones head and measures should have been immediatly taken to prevent further acts of violence like that.

Universities need to take this to heart, it's a fact of life now that these types of incidents are happening, more and more frequently. Security needs to step up and any measures needed to do so need to be taken.

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

Quote: why does it matter. people will still be killed isnt that what we're trying to avoid here? the needless slaughter of innocent people. would the outcome have been any different if the guy had had 2 swords instead of 2 guns. i think more people would have died actually. a bullet wound is a lot more survivable (depending on where you are hit) than a sword wound (which doesnt really matter where you are hit because it will sever everything in its path). is a man with a gun any more dangerous than a man with a sword if he goes up against unarmed people?

erm..I was actually joking about the swords...

and I see the points about how theres cons to both tightening and relaxing the laws. Well, as far as I can say, no matter what we do, there is always going to be the needless slaughter of people. War seems to be the only thing humans can do.

Signature Image

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

we dont need tighter laws on guns, just better administration. More and better background checks, more use of regstration, try to stop or slow the importing of illegal firearms. the reason you fight a gun with a gun is that for public use, a gun is the equalizer of another gun. if someone had a gun and you had a sword would you go up against them? Unless there's some guy building bombs in his garage a gun is the "deadliest" weapon the public can own.

But if security takes it up to a higher level, most likely people will get annoyed with it. It will just tire people out if we start doing tight security, just like airports. People will start to try to find a way to avoid it.
I mean, I'd like it if there's more security. I'm not going against it or anything. But I don't know if I can say if it would make me feel safer, just because they added more security.

Guns or not, murders will always be committed. There's really no end to it.

Signature Image
+ Latest Work.:A Dying Friend

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

and criminals will always get firearms via the black market. so banning guns will only hurt us law abiding citizens.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Allowing college kids to have guns on campus is foolish. College kids drink, and after a couple of shots of alcohol there will soon be shots with bullets instead of tequila. If everyone at VT had a gun, then perhaps yesterday's outcome would indeed be different. But the long term consequences would be far more dire.

It is much more sensible to allow campus police to carry guns. Many college campus security forces are unarmed and cannot respond to violent crimes in the necessary fashion. Allowing trained professionals such as them the necessary firearms will serve a much better safety mechanism than college kids themselves.

Quote: is a man with a gun any more dangerous than a man with a sword if he goes up against unarmed people?

Of course he is. You'd actually need to come within arm+sword length to inflict the damage with a sword, whereas you can kill from anywhere within the effective range of the gun. Case in point: Charles Whitman on top of UT's clock tower.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote: is a man with a gun any more dangerous than a man with a sword if he goes up against unarmed people?

Of course he is. You'd actually need to come within arm+sword length to inflict the damage with a sword, whereas you can kill from anywhere within the effective range of the gun. Case in point: Charles Whitman on top of UT's clock tower.

you didn't get my point. i'm talking about the classroom in Norris hall where this happened. not in Texas.

banning guns would not fully stop criminals from obtaining firearms.. they would somehow "magically" be able to obtain firearms..

its true that banning firearms would reduce crimes involving firearms..
my country had such strict laws on firearms that even toy guns are banned.. and crimes involving firearms in my country is uncommon..
however, it probably work so effectively because my country is a very small country.. and i doubt it would work in a big country like the US..

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote: you didn't get my point. i'm talking about the classroom in Norris hall where this happened. not in Texas.

You point is the same in either case. If he had 2 swords rather than guns, more students would have been able to escape. He'd have at least needed to take the time to cross the room to get near the students, which offers more time for people to find ways out. Consider only 8-9 people in a particular class were able to open and jump out of a window before the rest were gunned down. Plus, people wouldn't be hiding under/behind desks to avoid a sword; they'd actually run, even if it is toward and out the window.

Norris Hall or UT, a bullet travels much faster than a swung sword, and it never needs close physical proximity.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Ochibi-san

Ochibi-san

v. ?? ?? ?

Quote by maverickmechanic Anyone can say violence isnt the answer when they have never been exposed to it. lets say there is a terrorist sleeper cell in the US (there is a good possibility that there is) they have you and your family cornered and there is a gun laying on the gun. are you just going to sit there and let them kill you and your family? i think not.

Self defense is a whole different issue. Defending others is with that too. I most likely have been exposed to more violence then any of you here, and yes, I can honesty say, violence is not the answer. Not only because it more than likely not solve anything, it'll cause greater damage.

v. ?? ?? ?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 42 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.