Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Are You EMO? - Minitokyo

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

gel-chan

gel-chan

Pastaaaa <3

What's with the people these days? Everybody's going EMO (n.) (ee-mow) Emotional, punk rock genre. From hairstyles to clothing, to being just BLACK. The band My Chemical Romance is EMO. I think... I can't understand it. I first heard of EMO a year ago, and now everybody's making it a trend, even those who aren't at all EMO. I think EMO is for people that have been hurt badly. Why would they cut themselves if they didn't?! They are emotionally disturbed people. Duh, that's where they got the word EMO. But EMO drawings are adorable though...

Your thoughts on EMO people? :nya:

Signature
"My last sig quote was rather plain so I changed it to something cool like this."
Wings-Lovers Administrator, Doujinshi-Support-Club Contestant & The-Ultimate-Coordinator Moderator

So......... by emo, do you mean wearing goth and acting depressed?

Well I guess if that is what they truely want to be, I guess I don't mind but if they are just doing that to get attention or because others are doing it, it's rather pathetic

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

I don't see the point of being emo for fun. I mean, I don't see how making yourself depressed would make you happy.

That's just me, though.
I do like their style of dress., though, and the hair xD

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

kvlitz

kriegsage

Emo is a way of life!

..... well that sentence was kind of... ironic....

To kill or not to kill? That is not the question.

I think Emos are overrated. OMG EMO SO COOL AND HOT. NO. WRONG. It's just wrong. I think emo is being emotional - being sad and depressed, not a freaking style of hair or clothing.
I used to think that emos actually are hot but it's been a year and now the world is FILLED with emo kids who are actually hippies but THINK that they're oh so depressed and oh so cool now that they're emos.
Sorry, but that's just how I see them right now.
And on top of it, they change hair color every week.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

emo is just another escape for some people that can't handle society or deal with what they are going through so they become dark/depressed and the likes and now of all those years they came up with a name for it...emo...I think people should get help if they are going to label themselves something it's just another factor of people trying to be individuals and failing miserably...quite sad really

BuBbLeS!

Signature

EMOs are black leeching, pointless emotional, unneccesary life forms. I hate that some ppl thinks all black wearers are like them... I dont wanna die without killing an EMO in my life(dont they wanna die already?).
okay okay im a disturbed one too :D but its better than EMO

(*sry if u are unconfortable with my aggressive post *PSfor EMOs:ignore this bracket)

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

EMOs amuse me because it's a uniquely TEENAGED thing to do. Everything is much more tragic when you're 15.

The Emo culture allows people who are looking for an excuse to be MORE put-upon and more rejected and yet more unhappy because "no one understands" to be part of a group. Almost everyone wants to be part of a group. I do think that th Emo group is damaging, because there seems to be nothing positive they do for themselves. It's almost just wallowing in self pity, and it really looks like a downward spiral from the outside.

But then, I don't see the fun in sitting in a corner and slitting my wrists, so I could never do the emo thing.

OH! I was at Hot Topic and saw a book called the Encyclopedia of Emo. It cracked me up.

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

Emo is just another dumb phase created by stupid teenagers that have nothing else better to do with their life. It's pretty sad

and the music...wtf it's so awful...that's not punk music people..that's a bunch of stupid whiny dumb idiots with eyeliner.

to me it's just another phase, trend...atleast they aint chavs lol

melymay

melymay

Abomidable Snow-Woman

The question "Are you EMO?", personally, is the most stupid question possible. First of all, it stands for emotional. EVERYONE is f.cking emotional. Some may not show it, but people are emotional at atleast one point in their friggen lives.

I completely understand what you mean though.. A lot of people seem to be getting into what people seem to call an "emo" style. Heck, I am. I prefer to call it punk x) It's pretty sad how a music genre got so .. big >_> Heck has anyone heard of pop hair? Blues style? Geeze. The term "emo" is so overated T_T

And for all those hott - yes I said hott - "emo" dudes on the net. Those guys are probably going to be the hottest ones you'll ever set you're eyes on. Every other emo you run into (no offense) will probably never be close to looking so dang good.

I can't understand why everyone that dresses in black or have that dark look are considered "emo" .. I bet that half of them probably aren't those dark, suicidal people that people think they are. To me anyone could be suicidal. The happiest person in the world could probably be trying to kill himself/herself. Jeez, just let people be and dress how they want to.

Someone here already mentioned something about "teenage stupidity." As much as I'd love to give this member credit for saying such words, I'm just way to lazy to right now .. Hahah.. Anways. I completely agree with you, dude - regardless if you're a male or female; I call everyone dude. Although stupidity seems too strong of a word. I prefer to call it denial leading to angst. Wait.. That sounded a bit meaner than I intended.. Anyways, whoever made the term "emo" can go burn in the pits of a cannibal's stomach.

Nope.... >.>

i hate it when i see this questions, whats up with emo...?lol"? seriously and i Agree with MELYMAY above

i will call myself an emo, gangster, gino, metal head, stylish, casual, and w/e other stereotypes there are.
i am emotional, i like rap, i dress like a Gino, i listen to rock, metal, i dress casual and so on!

yo wtf!

im not emo, but I find them weird, no offense though

Seiba

Seiba

kwe!

iee/nope..

**may be OFF TOPIC**
Nnhh and that reminds to me that yesterday I dressed all black and went to the city center to meet some high school tomodachis ^.^, and when I was at the way,a punk guy asked me to buy him a dark rose n,nUU,meh and I would have bought the darky flower (FOR ME, heh) but it was too expensive..'-'; Later, when I almost reached the place where we were meeting, another man started to sing a love song and suddenly when I turned he was -OMG- walking beside me o.o' so I decided to walk as fast as I could....duh...

...etto...anyways as I have said I am not emo...lolz.., I may like my chemical romance and etc, and I may like SOME of their drawings/ilustrations/eetc..etc.., but I am not used to cut myself for example(...), ~_~, plus, I am actually not very agree with that, but well, their lifes, their thoughts ~~..

mehh! x3~

ATAndTruong

ATAndTruong

More To It Then Meets The Eye...

All right. I guess I'll just take the initiative here and clear up the definition of "emo" for you guys. First off, "emo" stands for "emotive charged hardcore", not "emotional". Also "emo" is not the fashion trend you're talking about. Rather, it applies only to the music. The fashion/overall trend trend you're referring to is known as "scene", with followers being known as "scene kids" or "scenesters". Contrary to popular belief, scenesters aren't "emo" in any aspect.

They like the "emo" style and music, but are sans the attitude and the belief that emo music is the only music they should listen to. Scenesters in no way, shape, or form endorse cutting wrists, crying all the time, or writing in LiveJournal about how life is always a black abyss. The band that is probably responsible for the dark, depressed, wrist-cutting emo kid stereotype is Hawthorne Heights (if you must know, look up the lyrics to their song "Ohio Is For Lovers", specifically the chorus) Oh, and they aren't color-restrictive to black only (I saw that somebody wrote something about that). On the contrary, they are for the most part (besides the clothing and all that), just like everyone else.

And yes, if any you guys are wondering, I'm scene (trust me, it runs in the family lol), but no, I don't wear eyeliner (I'm a guy), limit my wardrobe to band tees only (I only have one band tee anyways--and I usually shop at all the preppy stores lol), or kiss other guys, I'm straight (that's an "emo" stereotype too--emo boys kissing regardless of sexual orientation). I have never and will never cut my wrists, and as for the supposedly "emo" personality? All of my friends tell me I'm the nicest and most cheerful person they have ever known, going so far as to tell me I'm "too nice" for my own good. I don't stay at home after school and cry. I play tennis, piano, and I'm starting to get into free-running. And, like everyone else here, I watch anime. I also don't limit my iPod's hard drive to just emo music. I also enjoy anime OSTs, rock music (Linkin Park is and will always be my favorite band of all time--even though their latest album was not as great as Meteora), country (Rascal Flatts is awesome), rap (for some reason, I'm addicted to Chris Brown's "Wall To Wall" right now), techno/trance (Ian Van Dahl is a genius), and orchestral pieces (Clint Mansell's "Requiem For A Dream" always sounds good during a game of Halo). In fact, I have a really upbeat song currently on my profile.

I do have the hair (well, DID. I had to cut it, since I went back to Vietnam, and my parents didn't want my relatives to think I was girl or something lol) and I sport the skinny jeans from time to time. Looking past my strange sense of style, I'm just like everybody else. Oh, and yes, I have gotten questions stemming on my style (my friends' sisters thought I was gay at first). For the most part, I have received no trouble. People in Austin, Texas are really accepting. Don't believe me? On one road in downtown Austin (6th Street), there is a homeless guy by the name of Leslie who is infamous for always sporting women's lingerie. It also helps that the city's unofficial slogan is "Keep Austin Weird".

Oh, and to set the record straight, MCR isn't emo. The same can be said for Fall Out Boy, and Panic! At The Disco (but they're still awesome).

Getting to the topic, I think I already cleared up the fact that I wasn't "emo". If somebody is, in fact, depressed should seek therapy--or, at the very least, see me. I'm cheerful and nice, and I'm also majoring in Psychology. =]

Hi, melymay. The sig you made me is still awesome...By the way, you could basically consider that angry-looking redhead in the sig is (Kaede Fuyou) an "emo" kid. lol

Signature
Ideas...without actions, are worthless.
Thanks to the wonderful k1ru for making my masterpeice of a webpage!

fawna-chan

fawna-chan

butterfly ghost

Um...hello. EMO stands for emotional. Look the word up. Everyone gets emotional in a while and I hate it when I wear all black one day and someone asks, "Are you becoming emo?" And I'm always so pissed off when they ask that...even when I'm not wearing all black. >:(

But yeah...the way that a lot of young people (lol, I suddenly feel old! T_T) dress makes me think...are you just a poser? Something like that. Emo is sooo overated. Okay, I'm just repeating what everyone else said...so I'll stop.

ATAndTruong

ATAndTruong

I'm aware of the fact that I'm being a little too defensive on this topic, but like I stated before, I want to clear up the distinction between "emo" and "scene" There are significant differences. To start off, I'll address Fawna-chan's first line in the aforementioned post.

OK, at the very least, emo stands for "emotional hardcore", but it is more commonly known to people actually familiar with the trend as "emotive". I would know. As I stated in my previous post, I'm scene (think "emo" with all the trimmings--except the personality). I'm familiar with the fashion and the music, and I've even written a paper on the origins of emo music for my high school orchestra class, but that's another story. I'm in college now, but that's yet another story.

Emo is not a fashion trend. It is a form of music. Also, wearing all black does not categorize you as being "emo", by any means. Like I said before, scene kids (proper term for supposed "emo kids") do not limit their wardrobe to all-black clothing. The only recurring themes in scene style are: studded belts, scene hair, skinny-fit jeans (or the very least, girl's slim straight leg jeans--and this applies to both sexes), and for shoes, typically, but not limited to, slip-on Vans, or Converse Chuck Taylors (though these are now not "scene-only"--just like black-rimmed glasses).

It should also be noted that most, if not all the individuals that partake in this style (myself included) are not "emotional" in the sense that they are overly-depressed, cut themselves, or talk about how living is just a waste of death. They're all just like the rest of you guys--they just have a different sense of style. In fact, you know you have a poseur on your hands when they talk about how depressed they are all the time and how they always cut themselves (unless it actually is true and they have wrist scars or something--in which case you should help them get some professional therapy. The "depressed emo kid" stereotype is just like it sounds--a stereotype. It's not true.

Anyone who makes any sort of comment like that to you (fawna-chan) is obviously clueless, and has been overly influenced by MTV (who has also somehow convinced the general populace that Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco and My Chemical Romance are emo). Just ignore them, or correct them, your pick.

I don't want this to turn into a huge argument about what "emo" is or isn't (or what the style's main traits are), so if you want to debate it with other people (who also know what they're talking about) go here:
http://forums.livingwithstyle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=363

I hope I cleared up any confusion, in the hopes that people will not say that "emos wear all black" or that everyone who sports the style "cuts their wrists" and whatnot. Anyways, back to the topic at hand...

Signature

through the generations it recycles itself... it's like the 80's are back .......

ATAndTruong

ATAndTruong

Yeah, you're right. In any case, it's a plus for me because my dad used to be a hippie. He has no qualms about long hair, but absolutely HATES short hair, nor does he care that I wear skinny jeans. The same holds true for my mom--except she was born too late to be a hippie. lol You would think that it would be the opposite, but I'm not complaining. =]

Signature

First of all, stereotyping the band "My Chemical Romance" as EMO is just so common now...why? reason stated is just nonsense i mean, just cause a person wears black pants or whatever that doesn't make them EMO... there is a difference between being Gothic and emo, and people who cut themselves up are sadists, cause they love feeling pain and also love seeing people suffer, yes i do think it's scary, seeing a sadist, because how inhuman is it to love seeing others suffer or cut yourself up, just go jump of a building and save yourself and others the pains(no offences).

after i typed this out, i read ATAndTruong~san's posts and all the rest, i find that everything she basically mentioned is true and precise.

and actually, the fact that even in school hearing people talking about celebrities becoming emo is just pathetic, it's like "hey do u happen to know the definition of emo or what's it about, or you're just following the so called *fashion* and saying as others say?"

it's like, hey do you people judge a book by it's cover...awww i happen to be wearing blue and white today so i'm not emo, and tomorrow when i wear black i'd be stereotyped emo? this is just hilariously pathetic. :)

Ah, well, I've learned a lot about emo people reading this thread today. ^^
Thanks AT.

But where did people get the idea that emo people are depressed? Since that's generally the first image that comes to my head when I think emo.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

springheeljack

springheeljack

The Return

ugh..emo peolple..shudders oh and emo is no way in hell punk...punk is political anarchy type music that is against government and other established systems..emo is not that at all..

merged: 10-09-2007 ~ 08:05am
why did it get transformed into a style and trend is beyond me..i mean who would want to dress up like that..(oh wearing black dosnt mean your emo..)

merged: 10-09-2007 ~ 08:09am
its also a very ironic hypeicritical style too..they all want to be individuals and to be separated from groups and such.. but now there are so many other peolple dressing like them and thinking like them that now..its totally worthless..they are now just like everyone else that copies that "style"

You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
Bury my body in the fresh meat aisle
You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
And I will rise again like an exocet missile Signature Image

ATAndTruong

ATAndTruong

Ahh well, if you like a style, I say sport it. But at least sport it right. =p I agree with you when so-called "emo kids" claim to be non-conformist. I'm saying that as a scenester. How can you be non-conforming? You're basically CONFORMING with the NON-CONFORMISTS! Pwned.

Signature

i'm not emo but some of my freinds have been half emo>_< haha

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.