Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Will the Internet really disappear? - Minitokyo

Will the Internet really disappear?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

jasmint285

jasmint285

Merlin's Apprentice

http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality2

This is a vid about people who've gotten information about the Internet possibly closing down in 2012
But we can do something to stop it so I hope everyone will pitch in when the time comes!

Signature
Being emotionally hurt is like having internal injury where the agonising pain kills you slowly without anyone knowing...and you can put on a brave front and smile at everyone around you to hide the fact that you're suffering...
Oh why did you have to do this to me?

GearStalker05

GearStalker05

En Memoria

It'll never happen. It's an issue of escalation; the moment that something is conglomerated by business, the moment people will try to find ways of getting around it (various alternatives; piracy). Also, from a certain angle and p.o.v. this could also be considered attempted censorship due to its use of restricting access to the net, and that won't sit well with people when they learn that their civil rights are being abridged (at least here in the U.S).

...Then again, this is supposedly going down in 2012... ...odd coincidence? Is this what the Aztecs predicted?

Signature Image
You got what you wanted...but you got what you hate...

cygnostratus

cygnostratus

Raijin Gaeshi

hmm... I don't think so GS...

so far, I've seeing many things that would (theoretically) happen in 2012. One of which is the so called "End of the World", where this huge red planet, a bit larger than Jupiter, would fly-by and cause huge calamities in earth, in addition to global warming...

well, it's not really "End of the World"... it's just that 3/4 of the population of mankind will be lost. oh boy, so many people dying... ^^ JOKE!

anyways, in my opinion, if that'd happen, then the world will be back to stone age... or at least kinda similar to your RP way back then, the "Masters of the Skies" RP, minus the nuclear holocaust. and the loss of internet would be inevitable...

but if that'd REALLY happen... THEN I WON'T GET THE CHANCE TO TELL JASMINE HOW I REALLY FEEL FOR HER! UHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU! T_T

merged: 10-16-2008 ~ 03:54am
oh yeah, I haven't watched the vid yet, since the firewall in our library doesn't let me...

FinalFantasyFans|Ecchi-Club
Signature Image
You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness

GearStalker05

GearStalker05

En Memoria

Vid says pretty much the same thing as the article.

Loss of technology would technically signal the end of a potential world. It marks the end of the technological age. So much of the world is internet-reliant nowadays for reasons that I cannot decipher at the moment. Should the internet fail (and I expect that it will), the backlash against the world (mostly economy) would be almost impossible to describe.

...and yet as you point out people will survive.

Off topic: Why is it that in the event of a blackout, electronic stores are always the first places to be looted?

Signature Image

yothsothgoth

yothsothgoth

You came along and cut me loose

Well... we did survive before the internet. Unfortunately, we depend upon it and our technology so much that I think if it were destroyed many people would enevitably die because of the chaos that would follow. It sounds a little extreme, but I have not a whole lot of faith in humanity in certain parts of the world. People went nuts here when there was an ice storm... if there was a more severe disaster, God help us all.

My parents always taught me - prepare for the worst, hope for the best. They lived through the Cuban Missle Crisis. I grew up thinking that we'd die in a nuclear war or have to live through something like that. I grew up scared, but well informed on what to do if something might've happened. Its scary. I don't want fearful people fighting over things that they want and don't have... even now, it happens. I hope it never escalates to anything like that... or even an accident with the electronics/electricity and things going haywire with all of our technology going off or misfiring. That's scary enough by itself. u_u

Off Topic: It happens that way here too. Why? People will buy expired food, broken electronics, and used needles... people do stupid things for multiple reasons. People legitimize evil things... so I say again, I have little faith in most of humanity.

If I'm wrong and humanity sticks together... awesome.
If not, don't say I didn't warn you. <_<

I reeallly don't get all this stuff about 2012... its only 4 years away..?

mehh

wow....
end of technology = end of LOTS of people.
maybe those ppl in the poor countries are the only ppl who will survive cuz they've never seen/used technology

AkikoHiramatsu

Murder....

Tis an impossibility for that of our dear internet to disappear
Because the internet Holds great information such as the library of alexandreia
if such an event were to happen it would be cathotropic towards the delevmant of man kind

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

Quote by cygnostratus

but if that'd REALLY happen... THEN I WON'T GET THE CHANCE TO TELL JASMINE HOW I REALLY FEEL FOR HER! UHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU! T_T

lol......then what are you waiting? SAY IT NOW! X-P

well, if that happens, i hope my girlfriend and i are already together in same place, because we're still msn-dependent ^_^'

i do believe everything is mortal-like, its beginning has its ending. pondering about it, the total of net user has been increasing rapidly. i wonder if there's already a solution to cushion the massive internet traffic, and can the present machines handle tomorrow's numbers?

if this is true, then i'm quite.........happy to hear that. oops ^_^' because it'll reduce internet as well as computer dependency. now almost every single of my assignment needs internet/computer. i'm hoping for a day where i don't get imprisoned by cyber-required jobs (i'm taking product design course btw) ^__^""

see 1st, all the best~

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

jasmint285

jasmint285

Merlin's Apprentice

Quote by cygnostratus

Off topic: <_<...so what do you want to tell me?

Back to Topic: so some think that it won't happen...but just in case...isn't it better to prepare for it? Just IF it does happen...

Signature
Being emotionally hurt is like having internal injury where the agonising pain kills you slowly without anyone knowing...and you can put on a brave front and smile at everyone around you to hide the fact that you're suffering...

ShinLanceVulcano

ShinLanceVulcano

Uchuu no Kensei Cylanser

I agree with GS... kinda an "odd coincidence"... nowadays you just hear "2012 this, 2012 that...", I think it is simply a rumor... but a bit off topic, if the world is really going to end (I don't think it'll really end...), then we can't do anything for it, but who knows...

By the way GS... the Aztecs didn't predict that, the ones who did it were the Mayans... and well, they didn't exactly "predicted" it... supossedly, their calendars stop in the year 2012, and given the fact that the way they measured time was very thorough and accurate, people think it means something's gonna happen... that's the theory that surrounds the Mayan culture...

Back to the topic, Jas... don't worry that much, if internet dissapears sometime in the future, it'll be because something even better will be created... they say they're already working on "Internet 2"

My own body is my weapon, other weapons are just extensions of my body
Cosmo-Orichalcon is my body and Cosmic Force Sol Inferno my blood
I am the emissary of burning justice, the Uchuu no Kensei
I am Cylanser, the Battle God of the Cosmic Sun Inferno

GearStalker05

GearStalker05

En Memoria

O.T.: Eeeep, my mistake, Lance. Keep confusing the two for some reason, even though a relative of mine is always reminding me of that particular tidbit of information.

Signature Image

guessjeans

guessjeans

Craftuser from STNJ

It will not disappear nobody knows and nobody knows when the end of the world will happen.

Robin Sena

Inversion988

Inversion988

....Revived?

i highly doubt the internet would disappear. temporarily? maybe, but not forever. the internet is one of the main sources of information, social chat, and just about everything else. given the chance that it does, the world would be officially screwed worse than it already is, end of story.

Signature Image

redangel6112

redangel6112

DozoYorishiku (Nice to meet you)

I agree with inversion988. If it really happens, it should be temporarily. Internet helps a lot in education. Imagine students could not access to internet to get more information to do their assignments x_x.... I believe a lot of people will do something about it if it happens and get internet back the way it should be ^^...

HydeExile

HydeExile

Honor, Justice, Glory, forever!

Ha?Oh God,not another exaggerating rumors...Before this,they say 2004 will be the end,then it's proven wrong,then they say it's 2008,and somehow I'm still here all healthy,oh boy...Now they say it's 2012?The end of technology?Human must be the youngest and first sentient race in this Galaxy to constantly see things negatively*sigh*...Why can't people get bored with all this superstition things?

In Honor of my most trusted friend and irreplaceable mentor
Rest in Peace Orpheuz, your legacy lives on amongst us, your comrades, forever and ever... We'll Never forget you
Signature

GearStalker05

GearStalker05

En Memoria

Quote by HydeExileHa?Oh God,not another exaggerating rumors...Before this,they say 2004 will be the end,then it's proven wrong,then they say it's 2008,and somehow I'm still here all healthy,oh boy...Now they say it's 2012?The end of technology?Human must be the youngest and first sentient race in this Galaxy to constantly see things negatively*sigh*...Why can't people get bored with all this superstition things?

Because people are fearful in nature. Spread a rumor that something will happen, and the bulk of humanity will try to avert it. They continuously act and live on what they believe will be the best way to ensure their own survival. Otherwise, they wouldn't do half of the bass ackward things that they do on a regular basis.

Signature Image

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

wow how much more are they going to "say" is going to happen in 2012...this is just as bad as y2k, nothing happened then and nothing going to happen now...it's just a scare people develop...for some odd reason some people get off on scaring others and causing panic...if it happens it happens...I mean think about it maybe a book might be bought and read by one person instead of the whole net if it's shut down ^_^ and sales of music will probably go up...who knows life might begin again ^_^

BuBbLeS!

Signature

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

just to add up, it seems like 2012 is too special for internet only. there's already a thought that the calendar ends at 2012, as mentioned here: http://forum.minitokyo.net/t60007?page=1

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

I'm very sure it won't occur, but if it actually happens, I agree with everyone that it will have a significant impact on almost all humans. I would definitely hate it, because I use the Internet almost every day, and for long hours. Also, if it really happens as the article shows, I think people will switch to other ISPs (instead of tolerating that kind of crappy service described on the site), and new ones will form on the search for profit.

Mambo jambo.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

i'll eat my hat if it does.
oh wait i dont have a hat.
ok ill eat my head instead.
hows that?

jasmint285

jasmint285

Merlin's Apprentice

I think many of us here misunderstand what the vid was trying to say...
The Internet isn't going to disappear but they will...erm...charge for the use of it
that means you will have to pay for every website you click...
In other words the Internet won't be free anymore...
thats when free private servers and such will start to disappear...

I repeat...
the Internet will NOT disappear...it will merely be too expensive for everyone to use whenever they want to...understand?

Signature

HydeExile

HydeExile

Honor, Justice, Glory, forever!

Right,let us just see then.Pah,like a single organization can overrule the entire online database system.

Limiting I-net use with money aren't an improvement.Yes,it's a degrade.
I'll just see how long that thingamajik will last :nya: if it ever will happen,haha,Human sure are funnily interesting.

In Honor of my most trusted friend and irreplaceable mentor
Rest in Peace Orpheuz, your legacy lives on amongst us, your comrades, forever and ever... We'll Never forget you
Signature

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

2012 is exaggerated. nothing is going to happen. end of internet is as false as the red planet. the main thing is bringing internet under control is much more than any company can handle. anyway that internet scare was like 2 years ago.

go this link :http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-6462835-1.html

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.