Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Drawing Tips - Minitokyo

This thread is pinned.

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 55 total items

hey i just joined and i ve done a few of my own drawings and even tho they look nice i d like them to be better. i was never good at drawing till i just decided to actually try. and now its something i wanna make into a hobby. problem is im not very good and i have a very bad drawing style. i like to take pictures and draw them by starting in one spot and scaling it in my head so when i put it on paper it comes out totally out of scale of the picture. it doesn't turn out terrible. but its not right the picture is normally bigger than the actual one i drew from.

so i was wondering if u could get tips on how to draw. but plz nothing like from how to draw manga book tips i never did anything from those so it would just confused me like a body is 7-8 head high idk have a clue what that means. i m fine just drawing from other pictures makes me feel good. i d also like to be able to just draw something from mind or memory.

i no practice makes perfect but some help would be appreciated. being able to do something that looks nearly exact from the actual picture or from a show would be awsome to do.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Hiya there CorruptDevil! One of the first things I can recommend is to check out this page:

http://doujinshi-mt.wikispaces.com/Tips+for+Doujinshi+Artists+-+workpage

It contains tips from many of the artists here at MT on how to improve your skills.

I would also ask you to also consider joining the Doujinshi Support Club :)

Signature Image

umm .. i like a drawing fanart to.. thanks to tip so much ^^ b

Thanks fireflywishes the page you gave couldn't be more helpful :)

another tip to use that may help with the scaling problem:

A lot of people tend to do this while drawing (including myself) getting very close to the paper you are drawing on (or drawing at a strange angle), this may end up distorting the picture actually, while it looks ok from your view, when your done and you look at the finished product you'll realize the head is 5x's bigger then the body or the hands are too small or whatnot.

All you have to do to fix that problem is every now and then sit up, lean back, and take a look at your picture to make sure everything is still in proportion, you can even prop it up against something, take a few steps back and see if everything looks alright :3. Hope this helps a bit!

Kazenonatsu

Kazenonatsu

Day Dreamer

PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT! Practice makes better ^_^'

don't know if this was mentioned, but work from the general to the specific. Meaning start with basic shapes that can represent different parts of the drawing (like an oval shape for the head, etc.; heck even a stick figure can help, i use them all the time to start off :D ) This way you can get a feel for where things are and you can move things around a bit before you get too detailed. (so that you don't have to erase half your drawing because you didn't like how the arm was positioned, trust me very painful experience)

Simply start simply as possible and get detailed later.

Another thing you could try if your just going to draw from other pictures is to make a grid over the original image (like a checkerboard), then make a grid over the paper your drawing on. This way it breaks down the smaller details and proportioning to smaller bits making it easier to see where things are... hmmm don't know if this explanation is that gr8 for this suggestion, but is especially good if you haven't been drawing for long. maybe if i get the chance later on I can post an example or something. Hope this helps a bit ^_^'

A moment bound in eternity.

I suppose this might be a bit advanced, and a little um... "out there" sounding, but I've found doing fanrt a fun and fairly helpful exercise. Pick characters you like, with strong personalities that really show up in their character designs, and then draw them, turn the picture upside down and pick ONE thing (just one- don't be overly critical of your own work) do want to do a little better, repeat until satisfied.

Never start with details. Start with an overall sketch first, and move on to the details later, and you won't have to worry about running out of paper space since you've already mapped out where you want everything to be, minus unexpected changes and stuff.

Never forget that you're allowed to use the eraser for stray lines and such. haha.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

KazamiHayato

KazamiHayato

全て勇気強さ持つの男

Practicing about sketch of your drawing would be important. Inspiration is also giving momentum or motivation. No matter how your drawing would not be enough. Just keep foward. My advice to you, keep improve on drawing. Plus adding drawing equipments too.

Signature Image

Thanks for the tips. I suffer from the same scaling problem with CorruptDevil. I never able to fit the entire drawing into the paper because it was way too big. I usually only able to fit half of the body and the head is a little big ^^;

The main thing is to have fun, and not feel disappointed when you make mistakes, just take them as learning steps... Specially since it's your hobby. It's good to sketch your drawings... If you want, you can do quick sketches of volumes (like that circle with a "cross" for the head), of the whole body or the part you want to draw. Oh and don't complicate yourself with all those extremely detailed tutorials you find in the internet and in some manga magazines... just sketch softly what you feel like, and then pass your pencil over the lines. It's good practice, and with an HB for sketch and 2B for lines should be enough. 4b and above make the drawing dirty if you haven't used them before. Hope this helped you a bit ^^

Hey I had once a drawing teacher who I learn from how to control a little those kinds of problems. He told me: "The point is that you have to consider the draw as a whole" wiche means, you cannot start with a poin, but with all you want to create. Try to construct firs a whole image wich will be like the skeleton and then you draw on it. I am not goos as my teacher, but I sow him draw like this.

merged: 10-31-2009 ~ 07:10pm
There is another thing wich I think is real about whar I read from other persons here. You have to take a draw to the last consequences, so you can learn. You just draw, no matter how you do it first...

when you're copying something, you can always use the grid, and that should help with the proportion, I do it sometimes if i want to enlarge or minimise a picture - it helps alot. You can also get newspaper/magazine/paper cuttings and draw the basic shapes that you think would make them up to give you hand on the feel of your strokes or do a basic outline.

does anyone have some videos or sumthin? like on face features and things like that,but for me i believe the hardest part is the hair,any tips?

just a figment of your imagination

cool but wat would make this really helpful is if you had some pictures for demonstrations

merged: 12-03-2009 ~ 09:57am
and btw drawing from realism is always a safe bet

Wow! That link is helpful! Thanks! Good thread here

yeah... i like drawing with scales, but you need allot of practice.... i suggest you start drawing very easy things and find a center in the image. lets say you start with the head: from there on try imitate the body proportions of the image.
if you want to take a drawing from imagination i suggest to study by your own body proportions by paying real attention to anothers artist work... or you could buy anywhere one of those Wooden Manikin to help your drawings. but i will tell you: you just can get where you want with practice!
i hope this helps.

Hisaki

Hisaki

Boredom is Dangerous

Its always nice to draw from reference...
its not copying!
If you're drawing people, have someone pose or find a picture with that pose..
if you're drawing landscape... find something similar...
it really helps especially when you're starting out...
also,
always have a light source when you're drawing =)
So you know where the shadow is =D

Being Dead is easy
Being Alive, but bored is way crueler

well, let me share something to you.

1. draw image in your mind
2. fell the image and transfer them to ur hands
3. use your eyes to guide ur hands
4. draw slowly, take your time even people rushes you
5. be sure to draw your guideline before you draw
6. shade and/or draw more detail will he nice, can also draw accessory to make your picture more interesting
7. scan into your computer and edit
8. fin XD

Dc0

Dc0

Drink Strawberry Milk

Why do you want to become a good artist?

For a fun hobby? Good idea! Just keep doing what you love, and do it often. Eventually you'll be happy with what you can make. Just takes time. Don't worry if it sucks.

As a profession? Get off this website and get some learning. Do years and years worth of studying and drawing. Buy books, go to life drawing sessions every single week, go to school, whatever you can do and don't even think of stopping till you are better than your favorite artists or have a job. (Because those artists are no longer your heroes, but rather your competition)

Signature Image
"Hey big fella. It'll take more than a blow like that... to break my soul!" -Sakata Gintoki

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Dc0

when drawing always start off with circular shapes and then go back and redefine them

wow...thx 4 tha help~~ its so awsum
it even has cg xD ( im currently tryin to learn tat on omy own)

a lot of practice...and find your own drawing style!

to draw hands you have to examine from the tips of your fingers to the top half of your fore-arm.

fingers do not have points at the top
fingers have 2 joints
knuckles stand out more on male hands
hands have wrists! do not forget that
young childrens hands are slim like a woman's but dont draw the fingernails long lol

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 55 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.