Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What would make a good "introduce-anime-to-non-fans" anime? - Minitokyo

What would make a good "introduce-anime-to-non-fans" anime?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 55 total items

Narumaki

Sleepy...

I've been wanting to ask some of my friends to start liking anime, but they've all got that same mindset - that these are cartoons and that they're for kids. Really, if they've seen what kind of shows anime offers us, then they'd change their minds.

Anyway, let's say you have a non-anime-fan friend, and you want to introduce him/her to anime, what anime would you let him/her watch first?

<lol> I've introduced a few friends to anime through Love Hina, because we have the boxset. XD It's light-hearted, funny and romantic (...sort of :sweat:); these friends are girls, though I'd imagine guys would be much the same. *shrugs*

If your problem is that they think it's for kids, give them as series like Evangeliion, or stand-alone like Jin-Roh, or Ghost in the Shell. :) Especially if they're into the Matrix or something more 'grown up'.

Love Hina is a pretty good introductory series. I begin with 'His or Her Circumstances' or I lend 'Excel Saga.' But really I'm a shoujo fanatic and this rarely works with guys.... so yeah, might wanna stick with the Love Hina thing. Really just think abotu what kinds of things the person you're trying to introduce anime to likes, like comedy, drama, action, and so on, and then look for a suitable introductory anime. - Amy.

Hehe~ Excel Saga... XD Crap, that never fails to crack me up. Personally, I'd save that for more dedicated anime fans, simply because they'll be able to appreciate the puns and satires of other series better.

Terra-chan

Terra-chan

Crazy Lazy Workaholic

I've never tried to convert a complete non-anime fan to anime before, but friends of mine have... One friend converted his friends with Initial D. I think they really liked cars and seeing an anime, a mature one, about their interest really spoke to them ^_^ So if your friends have some interests, try to find an anime that appeals to that... like if they like Basketball get I'll/Crazy kouzo Basket Ball Club (I watched it rented a while ago) or if they like Tennis go Prince of Tennis or something...

Frankly, the best series I know of that has a lot of lighr-heartedness as well as serious-ness and perverted jokes is the Slayers. It's great! ^_^ And it's a good ground-breaker as it has a lot of the elements that make anime anime and prepares people for some of the things that may come with some of the series that mess with your head...

Another good series to get people interested (in my opinion) is Fruits Basket, though I suppose it's rather childish itself, but it's directed more at teens... But everyone should watch Fruits Basket! I have a friend who was wary about it because of all the pretty boys and the premise (thought it was completely gay) but he was staying over one day and was completely bored so he sat down, watched the DVDs and enjoyed it ^_^

Signature
~ Deviant Artist ~ Comic Spriter ~ | ~ Are you UNDERAPPRECIATED
~ Come see the wonders of the Host Club ~

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I have an 'Anime Starter Disc' that I give to new friends. It includes the latest version of WMP and all the latest codecs needed, along with the first 3 episodes of Love Hina, Chobits and Cowboy Bebop ^^ .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

I highly recommend Rurouni Kenshin for this. I've had great success getting my non-anime-inclined friends to watch and enjoy anime through this widely appealing series. May want to just stick to up through the Kyoto arc though :).

-benny

Noctum

Noctum

.:Dark Lord:.

My parents thought that all animes were only made for kids.
After I showed them Jin-Roh, they never said that again. :)

I think that the series Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop would have the same effect.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

i watched evangelion for my first introductory anime and it seemed successful enough, seeing what i'm doing lately...i'd recommend trigun, love hina, evangelion, and kenshin.

I think any of Miyazaki's movie is great to start, as an introduction. Then "Love Hina" of course like other guys said before me.
Then, it depends if it's a girl or a guy, but "Full Metal Alchemist" could be great and of course, "Cowboy Bebop".

They both have a good story, a good realisation.

Hope it'll help ;)

XDarkDestinyX

XDarkDestinyX

Forgotten Dreamer

I think it would depend on the person's interests, like cars, sports, or love. For sports I would show Prince of Tennis. Cars would be Inital D. Love...that's tough, most likely anything cute and stuff, like Fruits Basket. Action/Sci If would be... Eva, or Gundam Series. For pure action, Kenshin would be nice.

Story-Weaver

Story-Weaver

Another story begins...

I've tries introducing people via Full Metal Panic. I think it covers a fairly wide variety of styles and is neither too deep nor too "simply a cartoon." It covers war, mecha and some great action, but at the same time there are the lighthearted funny bits at the school. It seems to have worked so far :)

See my web page! Or my blog.

I started watching anime when a friend of mine showed me Evangelion, so I definetely recommend that one...I also have a friend who got people into anime showing them Naruto (extremely addictive series by the way)...

I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away...

A little background in anime is needed before you can watch Evangelion, but that's my opinion. My first recommendation is always Cowboy Bebop. It's a great anime that gets rid of the negative stigmas associated with anime, plus it has a great dub. The anime I've been recommending after that is FMA because it's very well-rounded series. It's also a good introduction to subs for people who've never before been accustomed to watching subbed media.

bakaonigiri2

bakaonigiri2

silly cat

I think that as Dark SDestiny said, it depends on people;s interests... I mean, I started anime with RahXephon, but now I don't like it that much anymore...
But what the hell, Fruits Basket is the ideal anime for anyone! ^^

I should have known...that a riceball does not belong in a fruits basket

Narumaki

Sleepy...

Woot! Thanks for the suggestions. :D Any more?

Trigun . its a great series to get people hooked on anime. i know because i've used it a few times to convert my friends into anime fans. lol

sinister-seraphim

sinister-seraphim

The Wandering Slacker

Blood: The Last Vampire; actually I think that movie was made just to attract Americans to anime. Also try Evangelion, Fruits basket(maybe), and I started with Robotech when I was little and didn't know what anime was (this was like, 1987-'89).

My katana smells lemony fresh. How about YOURS?

Zerowing

Zerowing

GraveZero

I don't know...but I started to like Anime after watching Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop. But now I'm watching Gungrave oiver and over...Maybe that'll work

Signature

lalatne

Meier Link

The best way to do is let them know all about information in anime and what it's all about. If you wanna talk anime for them and let them be addicted, you should talk like a professional business man. Tell them that Anime is a combination of love, passioin, comedy, hatred, and etc.. Tell them that Anime is not just for kids it about people's life and it's not boring to watch. Not like those soup opera, specially from my country "Philippines" the story is so overacting and the story is very long and the script is not straight to the point. if the evidence are getting near they'll make it more complicated to show the real evidence. Not like anime, it shows everything and the script are straight to the point.

Whakapunaka

Whakapunaka

blueberry pie...mmmmmm

i hear some people think anime's just hentai ya just gotta show them thats its hugely varied and you can't just judge it on 1 or 2 programmes

Signature
moderator of Naruto-Club
proud member of Nintendo-Love
best-doujinshi
proud member of Games
administrator of Bruce-Lee

He who has faith in the lord, from his heart will flow rivers of living water....

Purplefire

Purplefire

Evil Guinea Pig Scientist

I would try something with a bit more emotion to it, Inu Yasha, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, any of the basics that anime fans have watched. It really depends on what your friends are interested in most that counts also.

Signature

Whakapunaka

Whakapunaka

blueberry pie...mmmmmm

thats a good idea show them an anime that you think will appeal to their particular tastes like naruto if they like action and ninjas and stuff

Signature
moderator of Naruto-Club
proud member of Nintendo-Love
best-doujinshi
proud member of Games
administrator of Bruce-Lee

He who has faith in the lord, from his heart will flow rivers of living water....

Revelias

Revelias

ctlbanner

I think that a good starter anime would be Tenchi Muyo. It's not as far out as some series, it has a good story and some intersting characters, and finaly it's doesn't contain as much adult content as some series because this could be a turn off for someone who has never experinced anime before.

Signature

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 55 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.