Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 anime english name changes......do they annoy you? - Minitokyo

anime english name changes......do they annoy you?

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 84 total items

I dunno, I was just wondering if people were annoyed by name changes of anime characters to supposedly americanize them. I remember getting pretty upset when they changed the names of the Initial D characters (leaving Bunta and Shingo......hrmm doesen't that defeat the purpose of name changing?). This is in other series as well (ahem...case closed, I mean meitantei (detective) conan). I don't really see a point in name changes when it really isn't necessary.....pls share ur thoughts...

yehp..name changes are maybe some of the reasons why lil kids who watch anime think its american...i am like no pokemon is japanese and the kids are like 'well why does the guy have a name like ash'
i wish they dont change the main characters names...thats hell annoying!!

\(^o^)/

rituel

rituel

kLepToMAniaX Designs

Hell yeah it annoys me... especially Pokemon... I'm embarassed to think i actually have thought it was american...

nolove

nolove

better forget me ...

of coz, I want ta know the real name of cha, how can they change it ????? For no reason, if ya like da cha and ya dunt know just da name, how can ya find it on net or sumewhere elz ><, I really hate it

-: BE-DEATH-MEMORIES :-

chadakoon

chadakoon

albularyong batungbakal

rarr.. i hate the changing names of anime characters. here in the philippines they do that! it's sooo annoying.. really! for example in yuyu hakusho, they changed the name of yusuke to eugene, kuwabara to alfred, kurama to dennis, etc. rar!! it's so freaky. i mean, they're americanizing things all of a sudden. it's so irritating. also in flame of recca, yanagi's name to anna, fuuko to aira, domon to max. and all the time i thought those were their real names so i was wondering back then if those anime were made in japan or not coz of their english names. >=0!! >=0!! >=0!!

Pepper-Mint

Pepper-Mint

Peppermint Gum

It's really annoying, americanizing names of Japanese animes. I think they think it would be easier for kids to remember names of American origin. Whatever! (._.)

Support original names!!! Woohoo!!

Send me to Tokyo!! ^^

NeoStryder

NeoStryder

Neo Stryder

Yes, after all, americans are who most complaint about shows on TV, the same show they love to see.

Nobody in this world in invincible, unless God's hand be with he/she

subjugator

subjugator

Scrubtyme!!!

Quote by NeoStryderYes, after all, americans are who most complaint about shows on TV, the same show they love to see.

amen to that

"Kyoufu wo oshiete yarou!"

keikasagawa

keikasagawa

p|-|33R |v|1 l33t 5|<1llZ

Quote by rituelHell yeah it annoys me... especially Pokemon... I'm embarassed to think i actually have thought it was american...

man i love pokemon, but when i first heard their jap names i was like they're so cool why did they change them...argh

hey our roomies are wasted so when we get back to your place,
i'll show you what l33t things i can do to your 5y573|v|Z,
i'll make them 5cr34|v|

Name changes are definitely annoying...I was unfortunate enough to have watched the dub for Cardcaptor Sakura and got incredibly confused when I managed to get my hands on subs...the original names for many characters were so different from the dub's...name changes like that are completely unnecessary, do the people who thought this would be a good idea have something against Japanese names?

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

Yeah, it's annoying especially when you watch dubbed anime and then sometime later, you learn it's totally different. It then makes more sense. But I usually just get over myself and use which ever name I like best- which is usually the Japanese name.

Signature Image

mitchell

mitchell

Dragonfly789

it doesnt really bug me.....its just dumb cartoons like pokemon names that annoy me....i mean come on....what kinda name is pikachu?

Signature

Anime Currently Watching:- Haruhi Suzumiya - Dragonball Z - Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Games Currently Playing:- Final Fantasy IX/XIII - Star Ocean The Last Hope - Oblivion GOTY

Iyako

Iyako

Apathetic Insolence

Yups, especially what happend to Tokyo Mew Mew =.-

"Memories can be forgotten, but cannot be erased"- Iyako

Kyoo69

me -> Kyo`

Yes it does, they should just leave them alone...

up up and away

YES!!!
they're sooooooooooo annoying!

Signature
WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>.<

thanks to my good friend sEsShIeLov3R
for the sig

Yes it annoys me....I prefer the Japanese ones......*sigh*.....but people like to think that anime is american....like people have stated ^-^

yes they do!!! it s absolutely horrid!
&honestly i d prefer to read subtitles.
there are very few d u b b e d animes
that i m ok with ...

trully makes me hate bout that!!!Original is better!!!!

"What's important is...to know fear...and yet take a step forward...!" - Rosette Christopher (Chrno Crusade)

Be a leader, not a follower. Strive for success!

johngimen

johngimen

E.Y.A.I.M.

yea its really annoying, its like when u expect something and it came out completely opposite, it sucks

follow ur heart, abandon ur brain
i aint that smart, but ill keep what i gain

generally i hate dubbed anime, i mean the voice not the anime itself

Its pretty annoying usually. When they do english name changes, it makes it all confusing =S When people say the english version of the name, but this other person reconizes it by the Japanese name. Then it gives everyone a headache xd

i prefer the Japanese ones, since it is the original.

Signature
	Image Join Free Wallers! Free--Wallers

I am a member of COLOFULL WALLIES!

i was also upset with the name changes with Initial D. i can watch both subtitles and dubbed anime no problem but once i heard they did some name changes to a dubbed anime that i am gonna watch, i get really annoyed. there's no point in changing names just keep it as it is and give me some great voice acting and keep the story original.

Sephiroth: Cloud, I need you to work on Saturday!
Cloud: BUT I HAVE LAKERS TICKETS!

AJS13

AJS13

Wondering Samurai

Wait so your all telling me that Anime isnt American, stupid cartoons.

LOL j/ks

Yea I dont like how they change names, its weird, but I guess its for them to appeal to the younger people. Most anime shown here in New Zealand is pokemon, and DBZ and stuff like that, and its all on after school, so that people under 13 get in to them. Tho we all know that most anime appeals to people over 13.
Tho I really hate when they take so much stuff and change it to suit western culture, like with ID, they change the music from eurobeats to some weird as crap that sounds like my cat dying, they also change the car sounds from what I heard to some dumb riced out fart cannon.
All these things just dont make sense, ID isnt for 8yearolds, its for people over 13 maybe older.

Maybe they think there is money in changing names, well I dont think, I know they do.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

adventchildvii

adventchildvii

Psychotic Soul

Localized names just don't sound right in the context of the anime, I never like it when Anime's change the names of chars, they should leave absolutely everything the way it is.

\"Is it surprising that prisons resemble factories and that schools, barracks and hospitals resemble prisons?.\"
God Didn\'t Create Man; Man Created God

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 84 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.