Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Guns...should they be in every household? - Minitokyo

Guns...should they be in every household?

page 6 of 6 « Previous 1... 2 3 4 5 6 138 total items

MichaelW

MichaelW

Kazuma Ryou

A gun in every household? Certainly. You've got to fight like with like, only an idiot brings a knife to a gun fight.

But what KIND of gun?

It's 2006 people, bullets have been obsolete for years. Let's educate the people, you don't have to kill to defend yourself.

*EDIT*

I'm talking about educating people about the weapons that are available in our glorious 21st century. -In much the same way that the alternatives to fossil fuels have been covered up and ignored by the large companies which profit from old fuels, so it is with guns. I mean they've been around since what, the 1400s? It's really time we moved on from sharp bits of metal that kill so indiscriminately. The problem isn't in educating youngster not to play around and discover things on their own, that's probably all but impossible. And "unnecessary violence" isn't what you'll prevent, there are plenty of ways to do, the problem with firearms is that a single mistake kills - We need weapons that won't kill in such an easy fashion. One mistake is all it takes with the majority; safety switches are great inventions, but not nearly enough. Fingerprinted guns are ideal, but far too expensive for most, and let's remember lethality is NOT a requirement of home defence. Let's go to tranquiliser's and stun guns and tasers and leave these nasty, brutal instruments behind, much like the guillotine and torture chambers that were so favoured in those times.

NightAngel

A dream box

I completly disagree with it. If everyone had a gun at home, what wold stop them from killing someone and then say they weere invading their property. And just like that. It's stupid! People can't live their lifes thinking maybe someone will break in and I'll be defensless. There are other ways to protect yourself, and that doesn't onvolve having a gun in the house and taking the risk of a kid picking it and shooting someone by accident, or worse.
For all that, I'm totally agains it.

Face your fears, Live your dreams
Hana-Kimi-Love

hei good point maybe in some places (big city and dangerous places) can be safe to keep a gun with you because you never know what can a happen but for other side alwayss is a risk to keep a gun in the house specially if you have children even if you put in the safety place the children are so curious and sombody can be hurt
:(

rslgto

rslgto

Der Wille zur Macht

Quote by EternalParadoxI support private ownership of fire arms. The example raised about accidental death when children play with the fire arms is not a problem of ownership, but a problem of lack of education and precaution. If the parents do not educate their children and do not keep the fire arms in a place that the children cannot access, accidental death is all their own fault, not the fault of the freedom to bear arms. When parents do educate their kids and do take all the necessary precautions, then the possession of fire arms in the home as a defensive measure should be allowed.

Couldn't have said it better

"Condemn me, it does not matter. History will absolve me!" - Fidel Castro

~Run Kasumi Run!~

And that's never been more obvious than right now.

Zelnick

Zelnick

Knight Of Immortal Fire

Gun control makes me wet myself with laughter yet I also feel slightly angered whenever i hear about it.

My general thoughts on gun control:

Gun control means restricting legal access to guns. (Less citizens have them)

Criminals usually obtain guns illegally. (Making a lot of gun laws useless)

Criminals prey on defenseless citizens who could have protected themselves if there were less useless gun control laws.

Mind you I do beleive in some gun control.
On the subject of "guns in every household":
I think that, if a good amount of citizens possess guns, it will disuade criminals from doing much in a region. I do not think every house HAS to have a gun.

Also, the issue of children and guns is so easy to solve that it amazes me how often people bring it up. Just educate the kids, lock and hide them from the teenagers, and (if they want to, and when they are older) train them in the proper handling and use of a firearm. Problem solved.

The only reason why we hear so much about this is that it is negative news (sells better for some sick and twisted reason) and there is an unhealthy abundance of idiots in the world.

Signature

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

I see a lot of idiots on these forums have completely gone for the media's lies on guns. Take these stats into consideration.

Physicians
a. The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
b. Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
c. Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health &Human Services)

Now think about this:

Guns:
a. The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. Get this Eighty Million and growing faster than doctors!
b. The number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) is 1,500.
c. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous
than gun owners.

So should we ban doctors? Obviously not because they can do good, ocassionally. And it seems that many of you have never even considered there are other reasons for owning gun other than self-defence. I know many will say you can get the same fun shooting in a video game, but from personal experince it's not the same thing. The responsible gun owners teach their kids the safe use of a gun, and they're not out looking for any one to gun down just because they're there.

Seems a lot of you are brainwashed into thinking gun owners are stupid rednecks that'll shoot anything that moves including each other. Sorry if this sounds offensive, but those aren't responsible gun owners it sounds more like inner city youth gangs to me. Which don't live in rural areas. I've seen a lot of you refer to gun owners as stupid, from where do you base this from? A gun is not complex, but it's more dangerous in the hands of an untaught handler than it is in the hands of some one that knows what a gun can do. There are no dangerous weapons only dangerous people.

The more I hear debates like this go on, the bigger the rift between people living in rural areas and the people living in urban areas seems to become. Look at the county by county map people, there's a lot of red fly over country out there. And where is the majority of crime? In your blue urban areas.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

I really can't see how guns in every household will achieve anything but paranoia and more danger. I mean, if an armed robber intent on killing everyone in the household broke in and pointed his gun at someone, is there reall going to be time to get your gun from wherever I would hope it is safely kept, load it, and then kill the robber in self-defence. And I certainly hope that nobody is going to keep a loaded gun under your pillow or some such.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, whoever invented long-ranged weapons like guns (even bows and arrows) should of pointed it to themselves and fired it at the edge of a cliff...

But that's not the question here. I think it may be a bad situation if everyone had a gun. Lets make a scenario to help explain:
The government gives a whole village guns. Now, we all know there's going to be some idiot causing trouble; theft, rape, whatever. Now since the village is armed with guns for "protective reasons" so will the criminal.
That criminal, say, has just stolen a bag of money. Obviously he doesn't want to be caught, but nearby pedestrians try to stop the thief. Since it's in the thiefs own defence, they would shoot the people. (Point 1)

Now, the thief escapes for a bit, but the town finds them. So, ok. The thief is meant to go to cour- Bang! A stray bullet from within the crowd has just shot the thief/murderer. And ironically, it was from one of the dead pedestrian's partners. So they get their reveng- Oh dear... it seems there's a family-on-family war. The familys start taking each other out and they ask friends to help out.

Now we have an epidemic of violence, where gunshots are regularly fired. This once peaceful village has practically wiped itself out. (Point 2) But there are survivers. And so the whole village is now run by a group with more firepower than everyone else. (Point 3)

Sorry about that long scene, but here's my conclusion:
At Point 1: If everyone had a gun, even criminals would be able to use it. It's their own version of a self defence mechanism, since humans have a weak mental resistance to using whatever they can.
At Point 2: When something goes wrong, it's going to effect everyone else. A person is shot and then families/friend/neighbours will get involved. I guess the fight in Lebanan/Israel is an example, since the terrorist group kidnapped 2 soldiers. after that, the Lebanese and Israel population are effected by this.
At Point 3: It's just a power-craze. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." We've seen it in animes, and not doubts it could happen in real life.

The Second Amendment is a personnel freedom. You have the choice to decided for yourself if you want to own a weapon (it covers all weapons, not just firearms). If you decide not to own one than its your choice also.
People shouldn't be forced into one or the other.
Its not about hunting for food, sport or American tradition. It so the people can defend themselves when the authorities can't (most often) or won't (which can and has happeaned).

I agree with the people who say that the issue of accidental death by firearms is due to a lack of education. Really, what is the difference between being shot to death and being stabbed to death? Well, for one, one is more painful and barbaric. But in the end, the victim is dead.

All firearms should be used in conjunction with an educational process as well as measures to keep the weapons out of the wrong hands. Child safety devices, locked and sealed containers, and, of course, a lengthy education of the entire household. There is a reason little children don't play with matches, knives, or anything sharp or flammable. The reason is that parents TEACH them not to do so. Also, firearms which are purchased with the idea of personal protection in mind, should also probably be used with an elaborate security, or alarm, system to help the owner prepare. After all, leaving a fully loaded weapon around is never a good idea.

However, I don't think that EVERY household needs to have a firearm. Most people who aren't trained to deal in dangerous situations would be in trouble, gun or not, if an armed thug (or two) burst into their home. Not to mention the fact that in CQB, being able to take on more than two armed hostiles is simply wishful thinking. Really, the self defense idea sometimes goes out the window, depending on the situation. As well as the fact that it has already been mentioned the unlikeliness of getting the firearm ready in time.

All in all, it may be the right of American citizens, but I certainly don't think EVERY househould should have weapons of such caliber. A taser or pepper spray might be better suited, though it should be mentioned that a tranquilizer needs time for the effects to show, as well as the fact that some doses may be fatal. Though, I am certainly not against owning a firearm.

As the old Latin saying goes. "Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt. -- When catapults are outlawed. Then only outlaws will have catapults."

I do not believe that guns of any type should be owned by regular civilians. The logic behind gun ownership is that one has a means of self-defence when someone breaks into his home. What are the chances of someone actually breaking into your home while you're in? That said, there is every possibility that ur not proffecient in the use of a gun, or that the assailant is himself armed and the sight of a gun provokes him into killing u first. Those with families have more to lose, especially if your kid finds it or if ur in a situation where the gun can be used in crimes of passion.

Siri

Siri

Suou

Allowing an ordinary citizen to have a gun is unneccesary in my opinion. People believe they need guns to protect themselves from OTHER people who have guns.

I have a friend in america, who told me that some guy 5 houses down his street one day got up and went on a killing spree and shot dead every one in a number of houses just down her street.

He may have seemed like a normal guy intially but he was not and the laws in the U.S allow people like him easier access to firearms. My friend believes she needs a gun to keep herself safe from sickos like these.

I agree with that however if firearms were banned completely then people like him would not be able to get a gun and she wouldn't need a gun to protect herself from him.

In my opinion allowing people to own a firearm for protective purposes is just a downward spiral.

I come from australia where firearms are banned, and every time I see on the news that in america some kid has come into his school with a gun, or shot his parents, shot his girlfriend, or husbands have shot their wives etc. I just shake my head.

I know that firearms aren't the ROOT of the problem, but if you got rid of all of them, you'd sure be getting rid of a lot more problems.

When everyone leaves you... I'll look for you then
Signature Image

Quote by SyngoThe reason guns are legal in the first place is so that every American could defend themselves from foreign invasion. Seeing how there is no significant threat to the U.S. anymore, I guess manufacturing and distubution laws should be changed to minimalize crime involving firearms.

Another reason for the Second Amendment is to arm the people to keep the Government in check. The theory is that if our Government knows the people possess the means to overthrow them, that body would think twice before taking measure to over assert its power. This is probably what the frameworkers of the US Constitution had in mind moreso than defense against invasion (which it charged Congress to provide for building and maintaining a military). Now I am not the kind of person who thinks its okay for everyone to get a 50 caliber rifle, but I do believe that this right set down by Constitution is still relivant today.

Signature
	Image[/img]

ephemeral-perpetuity

ephemeral-perpetuity

.:*:. e!ngheL .:*:.

well.. it depends on teh situation...
Guns cna be used f0r self defence.. but can cause risk as well.. especially f0r the children.. or th0se people with tendencies t0 go berserk.. might use it t0 harm himself or others..

well... from my point of view, gun shouldn\'t be in every household.. if my memory serves me right... BBguns are banned in where i live after a kid shot himself in the eye with it... and according to my friend from the air rifle club... it is also against my country law to carry air rifle pellets on the street without a license... well.. from my point of view... weapons should only be owned by people who knows the proper and right way to handle and use them... so guns shouldn\'t be in the possesion of someone that would use it for malicious purpose or would shoot themself with it...

page 6 of 6 « Previous 1... 2 3 4 5 6 138 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.