Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why can't science and god go together? - Minitokyo

Why can't science and god go together?

page 2 of 9 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next » 196 total items

Quote by LunarTwilight
About the Darwinistic evolution part, I think you'd need to re-check that. Although (in my opinion) Darwin's theory was a good idea, are you sure the most recent fossils tell us that Darwinism is correct? The fossils from the Cambrian Explosion should have gotten Darwin's theory wrong. (By the way, the Cambrian Explosion is a geological period that approximately began 540 million years ago. This period in time had a sudden appearance of many animal phyla that are still alive today, as opposed to Darwin's gradual divergence theory.) Anyway its not only the fossil evidence that goes against Darwinism (but I don't want to elaborate further, its getting out of point :/)

The Cambrian explosion doesn't disprove evolution. There are transition fossils within the cambrian explosion fossils. And 5 million to 40 million years isn't exactly "sudden" but there are many plausable explainations of why it happened so (relatively) quickly. Oh and the stuff from the cambrian was unlike almost everything alive today. The fossil evidence of the Cambrian explosion doesn't go against darwinism and it isn't the origin of complex life.

Because people don't want them to.

Signature Image

Quote by TSPhoenixThey can, some top scientist do believe in God amazingly enough, as rare as they are.

Who cares what these "top scientist" (scientists) believe? If they're "top scientists" then they're obviously smart enough to know that religion and Science don't "mix."

Quote by TSPhoenixSimply I think there is a lot of ignorance towards this sort of thing

Ya, on the part of people like you.

Quote by TSPhoenixpeople of one religion can't accept things from other religions

That's because if their relgion doesn't assert the valdity of the other religions, so why would they have any wanting to hold a belief in another religion?

Quote by TSPhoenixaethiests won't believe anything religious

First of all, there is no such thing as an "aetheist." You should also know that you've made a pathetic generalization, all you can assert, validly, about atheists is that they don't hold a belief in god(s). There are religious atheist and irreligious atheists will probably accept religions if you show them that a religion is valid. I know I would.

Quote by TSPhoenixreligious people criticise the scientifically inclined for their igonorance of a greater significance and so on

Wait, you're calling those who require proof to be ignorant? And after this post? That's just sad...

Normally I wouldn't respond to a post like this, but it's out of pity and because it's just really funny. Thanks for taking the time to make a post that shows just how ignorant religion has made people.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by CyberDragoon
Ah but you see the reason prayer is discouraged is due to the seperation of Church and State. US law requires that no religion can be endorsed in any way by the government. Allowing prayer would go agaisnt that. However, that only applies to public schools. In a private school you can pray all you want so long as you can convince the school officials to let you.

Darwinistic evolution simply has the most evidence in its favor and is the strongest scientific theory on life so that's why it is taught. While it is true that Darwin himself doubted his own work he did so because he could not find the many "intermediate species" that his theory predicted. He could not find the so-called missing links between species in the fossil record. However, since then many have been found. Also the fossil record does not hold all the dead life forms that have ever existed. Only a small fraction of life forms can be and have been preserved as fossils. I find it admirable that he could doubt his own work. It's the scientific method in action. Since his time much much more evidence has been found to support his ideas. A lot of this about evolution and creatoinism has already been discussed so look up the Evolution versus Creationism thread. It kinda died a while ago but it used to be really active.

Anyways this balanced approach is impossible. After all there are thousands of differing religious/mythical/historic ideas on life etc. If you teach the Christian view you'd have to teach the [insert random religion] views on it as well. There's simply not enough time in a school year (a year of biology that is) to learn all that. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you can't teach religion in school at all. I'm all for having religous studies as an elective in school. You just can't teach religion in a SCIENCE classroom. You can only teach SCIENCE. To teach religion as science would be something immensly foolish because the facts are very clear. Religion is NOT science. Creationism is NOT science. Even if you assume it is Evolution still has a greater body of evidence supporting it.

Again like I said all this about evolution and creationism has been discussed to death already and I don't really feel like having to repeat all the same stuff.

On another side note 111 Japanese yen = 1 US dollar. Meaning after I give you 1000 yen you'd only have $9. That would take around 500 posts. Well patience is a virtue you know?

And that's my two yen and an end to a very long-winded post. Sorry for the length I'm bored.

Freedom of religion and seperation of church ans state do not require the government to force people to not pray in public buildings. ...To the contrary, it prevents them from forcing people to pray, and in some ways forces them to allow it. ...So long as doing so doesn't impinge on other's religious beliefs...

But you prove my point. ...Those supporting secular philosophies have control over the public education system in the United States, and those promoting non-secular views are restrained and/or shunned.

Any yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose of having you send a quarter if the postage will be more than that. 1000 Yen seemed like a good number.

Quote by Archer79Freedom of religion and seperation of church ans state do not require the government to force people to not pray in public buildings. ...To the contrary, it prevents them from forcing people to pray, and in some ways forces them to allow it. ...So long as doing so doesn't impinge on other's religious beliefs...

As long as it doesn't disrupt the school's activities I'm pretty sure it's not against the law. Schools aren't allowed to give "praying time" though.

Quote by Archer79But you prove my point. ...Those supporting secular philosophies have control over the public education system in the United States, and those promoting non-secular views are restrained and/or shunned.

Uh...? Of course they do. If schools are going to not promote religions then they are going to be secular of course.

Tatsumi09

Tatsumi09

Seeker of Inner Peace

I'd simply say that 'god' has powers that defy science. But can't it be said that god put science in the world to keep it limited and in order, and that science doesn't apply to him?

Quote by Plunkies
The Cambrian explosion doesn't disprove evolution. There are transition fossils within the cambrian explosion fossils. And 5 million to 40 million years isn't exactly "sudden" but there are many plausable explainations of why it happened so (relatively) quickly. Oh and the stuff from the cambrian was unlike almost everything alive today. The fossil evidence of the Cambrian explosion doesn't go against darwinism and it isn't the origin of complex life.

Of course, common ancestery is true at some levels; hence, the transition fossils within the cambrian explosion fossils. It is to my understanding that the Explosion took place over about 50 million years, which is indeed pretty long, but extremely short as compared to the age of our earth, and evolution at the phyla level seems highly unlikely to take place in just 50 million years.

The fossils from the Cambrian Explosion are indeed unlike anything today, but they are representatives from the arthopods (insects, crabs etc), echinoderms (sea urchins, mordern starfish), chordates (include mordern vertebrates), etc. These animals, which are absolutely different in their body parts, appear fully developed during this period.

Common ancestry is certainly true at the species level, but its unlikely that its true at the phyla level (the major animal groups). A key point of Darwin's theory is that (in his own words) "slowly by accumulating slight, sucessive, favourable variations","no great or sudden modifications" were possible.

I understand that the cause of the Cambrian Explosion is still undergoing debate within the scientific community, so there will surely be differences at this point :S

Quote by CyberDragoonAsumming there is a God. Also you comment that many "scientific" people don't do the experiments themselves...(cut to save space)

This is my very point: you're taking something on faith rather than actual proof that you've seen or experienced for yourself. So this whole "I demand proof!" schtick is self-defeating (and quite laughable in certain respects), because you're still accepting things based on something you assume to be reliable, and you have no way of confirming this for yourself. You take things on faith, such as you have to take on faith that you're even reasoning the correct way, that your thoughts are unique and special to you and have a purpose, as they apparently just all happened that way by chance. How do you even know your logic is even correct at all or even remotely based in reality?

Moreover, science itself isn't nearly as self-checking and free from dogma as the more fanatical "science" worshippers want to believe it to be. And it isn't simply in regards to asking hard questions about particles-to-people conjecture, either -- the scientific community has always been that way: slow to accept certain changes. (Take a gander at the complaints of Charles Babbage sometime) The fact of the matter is that, as a human discipline, it is quite fallible. The fact that so many who fancy themselves as "scientifically-minded" or "logical" are reluctant to admit this means that they've simply made the discipline of science into a religion in and of itself.

And hey, the laws of the universe had to come from *somewhere*. They didn't just magically appear one day overnight...after all, that would contradict evolution. Darwin forbid.

Quote: As you can see Einstein clearly is not religious. Einstein's position on God is often mixed up because he mentions God many times. For instance, he refers to God when he talks about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the famous "God does not play with dice" quote that many people refer to when talking about Einstein's religious convictions. However, there is a great deal of evidence pointing to his agnostism.

Precisely! Einstein was agnostic - as in, not an atheist. I don't see why so many atheists want to claim him as not believing in any sort of God at all when it was blindingly obvious that he did. He simply didn't believe in a personal God. Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." And this is what I desire for myself: to know God, His thoughts, His plans for my life. Thus, I follow in Einstein's footsteps in this regard: pursuit of scientific knowledge as worship.

Finally, a reminder to those who substitute science for spirituality: "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Ouch!

Einstein wasn't religious...well, by that standard, neither am I. I have a personal relationship with God vice a set of rules to follow because I feel like I have to. I simply do the things he wants me to do the same way that you buy flowers or something else for your mum on her birthday. I enjoy making Him happy because then I feel happy for doing something out of my own free will.

Quote: Guess thats enough.. I have no intention of getting into debates.. x_x

I hear that...typically, internet "debates" end up being a waste of time for me because it's more an exercise in ego-stroking vice learning anything or sharing ideas. *laughs* As much as university kids want to "teach" me things, in truth they seem to be always "teaching" the same things I've heard countless times before ad nauseum and assume that because it's new for them, it must therefore be new for the entire planet. I keep hoping to find something new, but I'm probably too old to hope for that.

Quote by EntropicForce
This is my very point: you're taking something on faith rather than actual proof that you've seen or experienced for yourself. So this whole "I demand proof!" schtick is self-defeating (and quite laughable in certain respects), because you're still accepting things based on something you assume to be reliable, and you have no way of confirming this for yourself. You take things on faith, such as you have to take on faith that you're even reasoning the correct way, that your thoughts are unique and special to you and have a purpose, as they apparently just all happened that way by chance. How do you even know your logic is even correct at all or even remotely based in reality?

Wow dude. That's like....totally deep and stuff....Like....maybe we're in the matrix or something man!

Sorry but nihilism isn't an excuse for blind faith. There's a huge difference between you believing in an invisible man in the sky and me assuming the world will still be out there when I step outside. No I don't know that my house hasn't flown off into space somewhere but it's the most reasonable assumption I can make with the information I have. Plus, if EVERYTHING was based on faith than the whole argument is meaningless and I'd just have to resort to calling you stupid.

Quote by LunarTwilightIt is to my understanding that the Explosion took place over about 50 million years, which is indeed pretty long, but extremely short as compared to the age of our earth, and evolution at the phyla level seems highly unlikely to take place in just 50 million years.

Ugh. No. You just want it to be unlikely to support your already drawn conclusions. The only reason you've even brought it up is to try to disprove Darwinism. Yet the facts from the cambrian explosion are so vague and incomplete that you can hardly draw any major conslusions from it at all let alone disprove darwinism, it's grasping at straws at best. You were right when you said it was still undergoing debate so why are you talking out of your ass about what it proves and disproves anyway? There are plenty of explanations for why their evolution could have been accelerated. Oh and you might want to do more research on it anyway, most of the stuff you posted was incorrect (It's almost 5 in the morning, I can't be bothered :( ).

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

Quote by Archer79Those supporting secular philosophies have control over the public education system in the United States, and those promoting non-secular views are restrained and/or shunned.

Obviously the secular views are going to be more prominent in public schools. By law public schools have to be secular and endorse no one religion. The non-secular views have to be restrained for the very reason of seperation of church and state. That does not mean however you aren't allow to pray in school. Just don't bother anyone about it.

Quote by LunarTwilightOf course, common ancestery is true at some levels...

Taken from wikipedia.

"Before the explosion, the fossil record is dominated by single-celled organisms with only the rare soft-bodied Ediacaran fauna and certain microfossils showing that multi-cellular life forms had arisen roughly 30 million years earlier (Xiao et al. 1998).

With the Cambrian explosion came the evolution of shells and other hard body parts. As shells are more easily preserved in sediment than soft body parts, this makes life forms of this and subsequent periods much easier to study in the fossil record than their Precambrian counterparts. This also contributes to the perception of an abrupt change in the fossil record."

This pretty much sums it up for me. The Cambrian period begins 570 million years ago and spans 78 million years. Before this period the life forms were difficult to fossilize. THey were composed mainly of soft tissues. Bone is easier to fossilize so that could account for the "explosion." As for the length of time being too short I think that what's important is the number of generations born in that period of time. Each time there is a new generation the species evolves a tiny bit more. Take fruit flies for instance, they are used in genetic experiments cause they reproduce quickly (two weeks per generation). The faster the species reproduces the greater capacity for adaptation and evolution. Great environmental pressure could cause rapid evolution. Etc.

Personally I think that it's fairly reasonable. Humans are supposed to have evolved from lesser apes in a span of 1.5 million years. It's not completely unreasonable to suggest that so many new species evolved to live in previously unihabited niches in the environment.

Quote by EntropicForceMoreover, science itself isn't nearly as self-checking and free from dogma as the more fanatical "science" worshippers want to believe it to be.

Even assuming science is slow to change it's much faster than say Chrsitianty which has almost no change at all. Its primary tenets are the same now as they were hundreds of years ago. Science has at least some method of checking themselves. Religion has nothing like that in reality.

Quote: You take things on faith, such as you have to take on faith that you're even reasoning the correct way, that your thoughts are unique and special to you and have a purpose, as they apparently just all happened that way by chance. How do you even know your logic is even correct at all or even remotely based in reality?

Can't you say the same for you and religion in general?

Quote: And hey, the laws of the universe had to come from *somewhere*. They didn't just magically appear one day overnight...after all, that would contradict evolution.

I don't know what form of evolution you subscribe to but the one I know only applies to living things not laws that humans create that seem to describe reality. Also theorectically it is believed that the laws of the universe were created in the instant of the Big Bang.

"Still lower temperatures led to further symmetry breaking phase transitions that put the forces of physics and elementary particles into their present form."

Spinoza believed that God and Nature are the same thing. I never made any statement that Eintstein was atheist. I just pointed out that he was agonostic and held no belief in a personal God. Whatever his religious convictions were as a young physicist he ultimately concluded that there is no personal God.

And you can't exactly expect us regular folk to suddenly sprout completely new unthought-of ideas. After all we're not great philosophers or anything like that.

On a side note I start college next year (w00t!) so wish me luck. That or send me packets of sugar.

And that's my two yen.

People did try to mix science with religion...and ended up with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Quote by Plunkies

Quote by LunarTwilightIt is to my understanding that the Explosion took place over about 50 million years, which is indeed pretty long, but extremely short as compared to the age of our earth, and evolution at the phyla level seems highly unlikely to take place in just 50 million years.

Ugh. No. You just want it to be unlikely to support your already drawn conclusions. The only reason you've even brought it up is to try to disprove Darwinism. Yet the facts from the cambrian explosion are so vague and incomplete that you can hardly draw any major conslusions from it at all let alone disprove darwinism, it's grasping at straws at best. You were right when you said it was still undergoing debate so why are you talking out of your ass about what it proves and disproves anyway? There are plenty of explanations for why their evolution could have been accelerated. Oh and you might want to do more research on it anyway, most of the stuff you posted was incorrect

Let me clarify, my conclusions aren't drawn out. (How can I just jump to conclusions when its still undergoing scientific debate, lol). And no, Im not all out to disprove Darwinism. Like I said earlier, I am still keeping an open mind. Very well, if most of the stuff is "wrong anyway", although I somehow doubt its wrong, I will re-check it with other sources. (My information on the Cambrian Explosion came from scientific books. But since its still undergoing scientific debate, it may not be accurate like you said. No harm in checking.)

Quote by Plunkies(It's almost 5 in the morning, I can't be bothered :( ).

Lol I understand that; thats why Ive been trying to keep out of these forums lately, typing back and forth is rather a hassle to me.x_x Im typing this now after a long day, its rather late now.

Quote by CyberDragoon

Quote by LunarTwilightOf course, common ancestery is true at some levels...

Taken from wikipedia.

"Before the explosion, the fossil record is dominated by single-celled organisms with only the rare soft-bodied Ediacaran fauna and certain microfossils showing that multi-cellular life forms had arisen roughly 30 million years earlier (Xiao et al. 1998).

With the Cambrian explosion came the evolution of shells and other hard body parts. As shells are more easily preserved in sediment than soft body parts, this makes life forms of this and subsequent periods much easier to study in the fossil record than their Precambrian counterparts. This also contributes to the perception of an abrupt change in the fossil record."

This pretty much sums it up for me. The Cambrian period begins 570 million years ago and spans 78 million years. Before this period the life forms were difficult to fossilize. THey were composed mainly of soft tissues. Bone is easier to fossilize so that could account for the "explosion." As for the length of time being too short I think that what's important is the number of generations born in that period of time. Each time there is a new generation the species evolves a tiny bit more. Take fruit flies for instance, they are used in genetic experiments cause they reproduce quickly (two weeks per generation). The faster the species reproduces the greater capacity for adaptation and evolution. Great environmental pressure could cause rapid evolution. Etc.

Personally I think that it's fairly reasonable. Humans are supposed to have evolved from lesser apes in a span of 1.5 million years. It's not completely unreasonable to suggest that so many new species evolved to live in previously unihabited niches in the environment.

Yes, I did check what wikipedia said before I wrote my reply, among others. The thing is that the animals that appeared during this period had totally different structures (so how did they evolve.) Evolution within a species is definitely right (for example, flies can be traced to a common ancestery), but evolution at the phyla levels (the differences between major animal groups) seems incorrect. I understand that there are many "ifs" as to why the Cambrian Explosion could have occurred that if I were to argue against every one of them it would take an eternity, lol - anyway Im going to re-check my information like I mentioned to Plunkies earlier. (And I had no intention of debating here, only discussion.)

Quote by EntropicForce

Quote by LunarTwilightGuess thats enough.. I have no intention of getting into debates.. x_x

I hear that...typically, internet "debates" end up being a waste of time for me because it's more an exercise in ego-stroking vice learning anything or sharing ideas. *laughs* As much as university kids want to "teach" me things, in truth they seem to be always "teaching" the same things I've heard countless times before ad nauseum and assume that because it's new for them, it must therefore be new for the entire planet. I keep hoping to find something new, but I'm probably too old to hope for that.

Lol well, I don't really like debating online because invaribly it becomes somewhat of a back-and-forth thing.. and in the end, the person with the most stamina "wins", because the other guy can't be bothered to reply to a hazardrously long post. And I don't have much time to reply either. So its best for me to keep out of these, or if I enter into such a discussion, to keep an open mind (like above, since facts arent clear).

Ouch. You arent too old for it, Im sure.. :) Lol, thats the first time I heard the statement "exercise in ego-stroking vice learning anything or sharing ideas." What a chim sentence. Hehe. (In Singapore chim= mind-boggling)

Keamoto

Keamoto

Sensei Matt Do Minari Katana Ryu

I'm not sure if anybody else has anwser this question how I have but I still plan on saying it. God can't go with science cause both there theories where different. I am buddist by the way so don't think i am taking sides. But God said he created the world step by step within 7 days so therefor peice by peice and on the 6th day he created people... Or person to be more accurate. and "Adam" was in full form and was perfect. Anywho, Science beleives in the big bang where due to clouds of gasses and combustion and heat, our segiment of the universe was made. And we started as Primal fish where we evolved from there. Simply, u can't mix Evolutionist with God... It would be good though...

Quote by PlunkiesSorry but nihilism isn't an excuse for blind faith. There's a huge difference between you believing in an invisible man in the sky and me assuming the world will still be out there when I step outside. No I don't know that my house hasn't flown off into space somewhere but it's the most reasonable assumption I can make with the information I have. Plus, if EVERYTHING was based on faith than the whole argument is meaningless and I'd just have to resort to calling you stupid.

Please refrain from acting like a five-year-old throwing a temper tantrum if you want to be taken seriously. I'm a cranky old lady and I don't waste my time with bawling rugrats, so if you aren't one, act in a way more befitting your intelligence.

But no, there's not much difference. For one thing, I don't believe in an "invisible man in the sky". God is neither a man nor does He live in the sky. (He's pure spirit, and He exists outside the universe as we know it, which includes linear time) The only difference is simply past experience. In fact, just about everything you know of science is taken on faith, except perhaps for what practicals you've done in the classroom (and even those are in controlled environments). It isn't blind faith, but it's still faith. Moreover, you still didn't answer my question. How do you know?

Second, believing in God or Christ isn't blind faith, either. I know you think so, but you're mistaken: there are several key passages in the Bible which charge us with questioning and even doubting. But the person who truly seeks God is told that he/she will find God in the world around him/her (which is why so many people confuse God and nature). As someone said earlier, the data that exists in the world is neutral: it is our presuppositions that determine how we interpret that data. In fact, the more sceptical the better. C. S. Lewis and H. G. Wells are some good examples of these kinds of sceptics, actually. So by all means, question, poke, prod, think, doubt. It probably won't do much good asking me, though, because I'm a big enough girl to admit I don't have all the answers. Luckily, He and His creation do.

That said, there does come a point where there isn't tangible, blindingly obvious proof (and let's be honest here: when we demand proof, we want the billboard-size neon sign because humans are too dense for subtlety...and yes I count myself here) But that's reserved for things such as "Why am I going through these difficulties right now?" or "When will this pain end?" These are those things that even science or philosophy can't answer. The faith here is trusting that God has a plan for your life, that there is a point to all this that will become clear at a later time, and that there's more to everything than this.

Quote: Even assuming science is slow to change it's much faster than say Chrsitianty which has almost no change at all. Its primary tenets are the same now as they were hundreds of years ago. Science has at least some method of checking themselves. Religion has nothing like that in reality.

Again, you're making assumptions. Science at the core has remained unchanged since its inception; what changes are theories, laws, and means. So it changes the same way as, say, the Catholic Church has changed. Some services have folk bands instead of organs and choirs; on the science end, Aristotle's geocentric theory was replaced by the findings of Copernicus.

More to the point, many notable scientists have observed that the field itself is prone to dogma many times. Michio Kaku, for example, noted that "(t)here are many examples of old, incorrect theories that stubbornly persisted, sustained only by the prestige of foolish but well-connected scientists. ... Many of these theories have been killed off only when some decisive experiment exposed their incorrectness. .. Thus the yeoman work in any science, and especially physics, is done by the experimentalist, who must keep the theoreticians honest." It's amazing how very little things change over the years.

Quote: Can't you say the same for you and religion in general?

Exactly, which is why I place faith in God when something passes temporarily beyond my understanding. If my brain simply evolved by chance, I have no way of knowing that my brain evolved correctly, or that it's merely a random assortment of chemical reactions to certain stimuli. In which case, we're all probably wrong about everything we only think we know. However, if I place my faith in God, I can rest assured that there is a purpose behind how my brain works, that there really is a point to learning all I can about the universe rather than simply showing off what I learned.

Quote: I don't know what form of evolution you subscribe to but the one I know only applies to living things not laws that humans create that seem to describe reality. Also theorectically it is believed that the laws of the universe were created in the instant of the Big Bang.

That takes more faith than I have. There isn't any difference between an "invisible man in the sky" and a spontaneous magical poof of smoke that suddenly created everything out of nothing. That isn't scientific theory: it's conjecture.

You probably already know that theories such as the Big Bang and evolution are simply explanations of possible means by which the universe was created. They only explain so much: for example, the Big Bang doesn't explain how time itself came into being. Was time present before the Big Bang, and if so, when did time begin? And how would it be possible for all the physical laws of the universe to spontaneously appear out of this Big Bang? How do you explain it? It sounds suspiciously like a miracle, actually.

Quote: And you can't exactly expect us regular folk to suddenly sprout completely new unthought-of ideas. After all we're not great philosophers or anything like that.

But I can keep hoping. I've mined a few diamonds in the rough, at least. And even a broken clock strikes the correct time at least twice. Besides, reading responses here hasn't been one of those wastes of time...not like the last moronic "debate" I was in over on Deviant(f)Art, anyway. It was more of a generic complaint that I had to vent somewhere.

Quote by LunarTwilightLol well, I don't really like debating online because invaribly it becomes somewhat of a back-and-forth thing.. and in the end, the person with the most stamina "wins", because the other guy can't be bothered to reply to a hazardrously long post. And I don't have much time to reply either. So its best for me to keep out of these, or if I enter into such a discussion, to keep an open mind (like above, since facts arent clear).
Ouch. You arent too old for it, Im sure.. Lol, thats the first time I heard the statement "exercise in ego-stroking vice learning anything or sharing ideas." What a chim sentence. Hehe. (In Singapore chim= mind-boggling)

Unfortunately, I don't "win" very many debates because that's what I've run into most times and I get bored easily. :/ As Blaise Pascal said, "(c)uriosity is nothing more than vanity. More often than not we only seek knowledge to show it off." It's a question I keep asking myself so that I don't get too uppity.

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

Quote by EntropicForceSo it changes the same way as, say, the Catholic Church has changed. Some services have folk bands instead of organs and choirs; on the science end, Aristotle's geocentric theory was replaced by the findings of Copernicus.

Somehow I feel that the change from the sun circles the earth (Arisotle) to earth circles the sun (Copernicus) is on a higher magnitude of difference than say deciding to use folk bands instead of a choir. The first change seems to be more important I would say. After all it completely changes our understanding of the universe and where we fit in it. The change from a different style of music doesn't seem all that important.

Quote: Thus the yeoman work in any science, and especially physics, is done by the experimentalist, who must keep the theoreticians honest."

Doesn't this show that science changes with new data collected through experimentation? Even slowly is better than nothing I would think. I think Kaku is suggesting that the backbone of science is based on experiments and less on conjectures and hypotheses.

Quote: If my brain simply evolved by chance, I have no way of knowing that my brain evolved correctly, or that it's merely a random assortment of chemical reactions to certain stimuli. In which case, we're all probably wrong about everything we only think we know. However, if I place my faith in God...

Wouldn't it be the same thing to place your faith that your brain evolved correctly. You have no way of knowing that God made your brain correctly. Maybe he's perfect in every way but maybe that's what he made your brain to think. Who knows? I suppose it may go back to the whole "I think, therefore I am" bit.

Quote: There isn't any difference between an "invisible man in the sky" and a spontaneous magical poof of smoke that suddenly created everything out of nothing.

The Big Bang theory was not something out of nothing. That's a misconception. All the stuff in the universe used to be in this really small dot (singularity) and this singularity started to expand and with it space. There's a body of evidence pointing to the Big Bang such as universal expansion (universe is expanding), cosmic radiation, helium amount, Olbers' Paradox, etc.

Quote: ...for example, the Big Bang doesn't explain how time itself came into being. Was time present before the Big Bang, and if so, when did time begin? And how would it be possible for all the physical laws of the universe to spontaneously appear out of this Big Bang? How do you explain it?

To answer your questions:

All info from Hawking's website http://www.hawking.org.uk

go to http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/bot.html for exact lecture

Time did not exist before the Big Bang. Time began at the Big Bang. There is no such time before the Bang because Time did not exist.

"The idea is that, as you move backwards in time, the Universe becomes more and more compressed and the curvature or warping of space-time escalates without limit, until it becomes infinite at a singularity."

Now when did it begin? According to Hawking it began roughly 15 billion years ago. The first thing he points out is that the universe could not have been infinite in age. The Second Law of Thermodynamics says that disorder always increases with time. Meaning if the universe had existed forever then everything would be exactly the same tempurature. That suggests that there was a beginning to the universe.

"In an infinite and everlasting universe, every line of sight would end on the surface of a star. This would mean that the night sky would have been as bright as the surface of the Sun. The only way of avoiding this problem would be if, for some reason, the stars did not shine before a certain time."

Galaxies are moving from each other. This means that they were closer together in the past. If you were to trace the path all the way back everntually you reach a point where all the matter in the universe would be on top of itself. Density would be inifinite, a singularity.

"At a singularity, all the laws of physics would have broken down. This means that the state of the universe, after the Big Bang, will not depend on anything that may have happened before, because the deterministic laws that govern the universe will break down in the Big Bang. The universe will evolve from the Big Bang, completely independently of what it was like before. Even the amount of matter in the universe, can be different to what it was before the Big Bang, as the Law of Conservation of Matter, will break down at the Big Bang. "

Now how did the Big Bang get kablooeyed? Quantum mechanics. The Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, according to which sudden and unpredictable fluctuations occur in all observable quantities. Quantum fluctuations are not caused by anything-they are genuinely spontaneous and intrinsic to nature at its deepest level. Meaning anything can happen when things get really small like atomic and subatomic size.

An example of such an event would be radioactive decay. You can tell when a given mass of the element should be halved (half-life) but according to Heisenberg it is not possible to predict when a given nucleus will decay. If you ask why the atom decayed when it happened at that moment rather than some other time, there is no deeper reason. It just happens.

Now back to Hawking. Here's where I get lost.

"It seems that Quantum theory, on the other hand, can predict how the universe will begin. Quantum theory introduces a new idea, that of imaginary time. Imaginary time may sound like science fiction, and it has been brought into Doctor Who. But nevertheless, it is a genuine scientific concept. One can picture it in the following way. One can think of ordinary, real, time as a horizontal line. On the left, one has the past, and on the right, the future. But there's another kind of time in the vertical direction. This is called imaginary time, because it is not the kind of time we normally experience. But in a sense, it is just as real, as what we call real time.

The three directions in space, and the one direction of imaginary time, make up what is called a Euclidean space-time. I don't think anyone can picture a four dimensional curve space. But it is not too difficult to visualise a two dimensional surface, like a saddle, or the surface of a football. "

Now I scratch my head in confusion.

"The conclusion of this lecture is that the universe has not existed forever. Rather, the universe, and time itself, had a beginning in the Big Bang, about 15 billion years ago. The beginning of real time, would have been a singularity, at which the laws of physics would have broken down. Nevertheless, the way the universe began would have been determined by the laws of physics, if the universe satisfied the no boundary condition. This says that in the imaginary time direction, space-time is finite in extent, but doesn't have any boundary or edge. The predictions of the no boundary proposal seem to agree with observation. The no boundary hypothesis also predicts that the universe will eventually collapse again. However, the contracting phase, will not have the opposite arrow of time, to the expanding phase. So we will keep on getting older, and we won't return to our youth. Because time is not going to go backwards, I think I better stop now.
"

My head is reeling from the reading. Somehow I get the feeling I haven't answered your question. Please read his actual lecture because I am a bad paraphraser. Also you'll have to research the Big Bang. Brain frying now.

Quote by EntropicForce
Please refrain from acting like a five-year-old throwing a temper tantrum if you want to be taken seriously. I'm a cranky old lady and I don't waste my time with bawling rugrats, so if you aren't one, act in a way more befitting your intelligence.

You should pray to your god for a sense of humor.

Quote: For one thing, I don't believe in an "invisible man in the sky". God is neither a man nor does He live in the sky. (He's pure spirit, and He exists outside the universe as we know it, which includes linear time)

Speaking of humor, I find it hilarious that you can sit there rattling off attributes of god. It's actually difficult for me to imagine someone typing that with a straight face.

Quote: Second, believing in God or Christ isn't blind faith, either. I know you think so, but you're mistaken

Am I? So explain to me why your religion is more reasonable or true or plausible than any other?

Quote: Some services have folk bands instead of organs and choirs; on the science end, Aristotle's geocentric theory was replaced by the findings of Copernicus.

Hahahaha, now that's funny! Now you're getting the hang of this whole "humor" thing. Well done.

Quote: Exactly, which is why I place faith in God when something passes temporarily beyond my understanding. If my brain simply evolved by chance, I have no way of knowing that my brain evolved correctly, or that it's merely a random assortment of chemical reactions to certain stimuli. In which case, we're all probably wrong about everything we only think we know. However, if I place my faith in God, I can rest assured that there is a purpose behind how my brain works, that there really is a point to learning all I can about the universe rather than simply showing off what I learned.

Wow. You make this too easy. There are things you don't understand so you say goddidit rather than thinking or facing reality or any of that silly stuff. Instead of using reason or logic you just believe in whatever is most pleasant. Good for you! Kinda like when your parents told you your puppy went to go live on a farm even though deep down you knew he was dead, believing the farm story was just so much easier. At the very least you haven't deluded yourself into thinking you believe in god for anything other than purely selfish and convenient reasons.

But lack of a god doesn't necessarily mean everything you percieve is somehow wrong or something, not sure where that comes from. Oh and also no matter what you believe in, no matter how much faith you put in your god, reality will remain the same. You speak as though what you believe somehow physically changes things. The dog is still dead :(

Quote: That takes more faith than I have. There isn't any difference between an "invisible man in the sky" and a spontaneous magical poof of smoke that suddenly created everything out of nothing. That isn't scientific theory: it's conjecture.

Ah but actually it is scientific theory. Or rather it is if I assume that "poof of smoke" phrase is your ignorant discription of the big bang. The big bang isn't the theory of the origin of the universe, simply the developement of that universe over time. And there IS a good deal of evidence that supports the big bang theory, I'm sure you could look it up if you felt like it. I'd also like to point out that the big bang and your invisible man in the sky aren't mutually exclusive. Obviously the difference being your invisible man has no evidence supporting him though.

Quote: You probably already know that theories such as the Big Bang and evolution are simply explanations of possible means by which the universe was created. They only explain so much: for example, the Big Bang doesn't explain how time itself came into being. Was time present before the Big Bang, and if so, when did time begin? And how would it be possible for all the physical laws of the universe to spontaneously appear out of this Big Bang? How do you explain it? It sounds suspiciously like a miracle, actually.

And here we are back to miracles. Something gets too complicated or difficult for you to understand and you're immediately ready to assign it to god's doing. I've always believed that intellectual laziness was the main cause of religion...

OOooo and you point out that there are questions science has yet to answer! How perceptive! *gasp* The origin of the universe is uncertain? Oh noes! Perhaps science should just give up. Infact maybe you should just chuck your computer out of the nearest window and go back to hunting animals with sharp sticks. Science is always growing, always answering new questions. When people couldn't explain happenings hundreds of years ago they assigned them to god, but now they're explained by science. And science will keep answering more and more questions and we'll keep gaining more knowledge. That's just how it works. But oh well, you just keep ranting about miracles and science will keep doing its thing. Even back when people were certain that lightning was a miracle of god's wrath it was still just water and ice particles randomly building up electricity. Reality is harsh and has no sympathy for what we think the world SHOULD be or what we'd LIKE it to be. It just is what it is.

It has nothing to do with a sense of humour, Plunkies. Since you've decided to act like a spoiled little boy, I'm done wasting my time on you. Tell your parents to get you a proper babysitter or start paying me for babysitting you.

As you said, life is harsh, so you'd better start learning to cope with it rather than expecting everyone else to coddle you for your pretenses. In fact, I'll leave you with a quote that, if you are not intellectually lazy yourself, you'll think on:

"How much boundlessly stupid naivety is there in the scholar's belief in his superiority, in the good conscience of his tolerance, in the simple, unsuspecting certainty with which his instincts treat the religious man as inferior and a lower type which he has himself evolved above and beyond." - Friedrich Nietzsche

merged: 05-15-2006 ~ 11:38am

Quote by CyberDragoonSomehow I feel that the change from the sun circles the earth (Arisotle) to earth circles the sun (Copernicus) is on a higher magnitude of difference than say deciding to use folk bands instead of a choir. The first change seems to be more important I would say. After all it completely changes our understanding of the universe and where we fit in it. The change from a different style of music doesn't seem all that important.

Quote: Doesn't this show that science changes with new data collected through experimentation? Even slowly is better than nothing I would think. I think Kaku is suggesting that the backbone of science is based on experiments and less on conjectures and hypotheses.

What this means is that new discoveries change our understanding of the universe, but they don't change science itself. We're still using the same technique - experimentation - as Newton did when he discovered his Laws of Motion. In other words, scientific knowledge changes, but the discipline of science hasn't changed.

Science is a wonderful human tool, but it needs to be understood, not worshipped. It is fallible, changing, and is severely limited as to what it can and cannot determine. Moreover, in the world we live in, oftentimes it's ruled by internal dogma and money, which means that experimentation depends entirely on what funding individual researchers are able to obtain. Hell, it's hard even for rival evolutionary theories to get a hearing when challenging the ruling paradigm, a fact I'd noticed when I was an evolutionist myself who sought to challenge the outdated Darwin model. (There are a number of things we know today that Darwin didn't, such as knowledge of DNA and heredity) That was my wake-up call that something was rotten in the state of Denmark.

Quote: Wouldn't it be the same thing to place your faith that your brain evolved correctly. You have no way of knowing that God made your brain correctly. Maybe he's perfect in every way but maybe that's what he made your brain to think. Who knows? I suppose it may go back to the whole "I think, therefore I am" bit.

But I asked the question first: how do you know? I'm asking because I am genuinely curious. Every time I've asked it people tend to try and dodge the question rather than speaking honestly.

Quote: The Big Bang theory was not something out of nothing. That's a misconception. All the stuff in the universe used to be in this really small dot (singularity) and this singularity started to expand and with it space. There's a body of evidence pointing to the Big Bang such as universal expansion (universe is expanding), cosmic radiation, helium amount, Olbers' Paradox, etc.

I appreciate you trying to answer my question with technical explanations, and you've done so without being rude. I very much appreciate that.

In the case of my example, it's a simplification, and one I probably shouldn't have made because it's grossly inaccurate as much as the "invisible man in the sky" quip is. My initial point is that the underlying theory posits that instability supposedly developed in an original "kernel" of mass energy, and the universe ballooned outward. (Dark matter being the flavour of the month) However, without getting too technical (If you want, I can get into the technical problems such as the quasar with enormous redshift that was found embedded in nearby spiral galaxy (NGC 7319) with far lower redshift - only 8" from its centre - or that no dark matter has been found in the Milky Way galaxy) we have a few problems:

1. Missing Origin. The Big Bang theory assumes an original concentration of energy. But where did this energy come from? Astronomers sometimes speak of origin from a "quantum mechanical fluctuation within a vacuum." However, an energy source is still needed. Moreover, the theory still rests on the assumption that matter is pre-existing. But where did that matter come from?

2. Missing Fuse. What ignited the Big Bang? The mass concentration proposed in this theory would remain forever as a universal black hole. Gravity would prevent it from expanding outward.

3. Missing Star Formation. No natural way has been found to explain the formation of planets, stars, and galaxies. An explosion should produce, at best, an outward spray of gas and radiation. This gas should continue expanding, not form intricate planets, stars, and entire galaxies.

4. Missing Antimatter. Some versions of the Big Bang theory require an equal production of matter and antimatter. However, only small traces of antimatter (positrons, antiprotons) are found in space.

5. Missing Time. Some experiments indicate that the universe may be young, on the order of 10,000 years old. If true, then there is not sufficient time for the consequences of the Big Bang to unfold. A short time span would not allow for the gradual evolution of the earth, heavens, and mankind.

6. Missing Mass. Many scientists assume that the universe will eventually stop expanding and begin to collapse inward. Then it will again explode, and repeat its oscillating type of perpetual motion. But for oscillation to occur, the universe must have a certain density or distribution of mass. So far, measurements of the mass density are a hundred times smaller than expected. The universe does not appear to be oscillating. The necessary mass is "missing."

7. Missing Life. In an evolving universe, life should have developed everywhere. Space should be filled with radio signals from intelligent life forms. Where are the other life forms that should by all rights be present on other planets?

In fact, holes such as these, along with conflicting data, lead a number of scientists to publish "Open Letter to the Scientific Community" online (www.cosmologystatement.org) and in New Scientist. Admittedly, for me this is less of a spiritual question and more of a scientific/intellectual honesty one.

Thing is, once we have all the information gathered, there comes a point when people who place their faith in the Big Bang theory just start pulling things out of their bums rather than accepting that there are things we can't answer.

Plunkies:

I have checked more about the Cambrian Explosion. You said most of the stuff that I posted there was "wrong anyway". Well, some things are right, although Im not too sure about some of the others either.

The things that are right:
The fossils dating to the Cambrian Explosion are representatives of the "modern animals" that are here today.
Common ancestery is true at some levels (e.g. We can trace generations of fruit files to a common ancestor.)

In the light of the matter, there are quite a number of scientists who believe that evolution at the phyla level is just not possible. And by the way, it is the cause of the Cambrian Explosion that is undergoing debate, not the fossils themselves.

Anyway, I do not have much time to debate so much as my national examinations are just in 5 months (Im under a lot of stress). Therefore I cannot afford to waste too much time on arguments back and forth. I am fine with discussion, though. Please don't assume that I have already jumped to conclusions, or I am out to criticize whatever beliefs you may hold.

_______

About whether science and god can go together, and why some scientists believe in god, just some closing facts and thoughts:

-Biological Information
Every single of the one hundred trilliion cells in our body contains six feet of DNA that is coiled inside the cell. The DNA contains a four-letter chemical alphabet that spells out extensive and precise assembly instructions for every single one of the proteins from which our bodies are made. Not even one hypothesis has suceeeded or come close to explaining how information got into biological matter (e.g. by natural means, random chance, or sucessive, slight modifications.) It is very unlikely.

-Physics
Gravity in the universe is fine-tuned to one part in a hundred million billion billion billion billion billion. There are more than thirty physical or cosmological parameters that require extremely accurate calibration in order to ensure that a universe can sustain life. (Let alone intelligent life?)

These are just two (and extremely summarized) facts, let alone many others. If scientists have discovered such wonders of the universe, it is no wonder that many scientists believe that there is a God, and therefore that is explaining why more scientists believe that science and god can mix.

Some people criticize these scientists and people as having "blind faith". There actually seems to be a misunderstanding.

"The truth of claims of atheism simply cannot be proved - How do we know there is no God? The simple fact of the matter is that atheism is a faith, which draws conclusions that go beyond the available evidence." - Alister McGrath

The bottom line is - people should stop criticizing or being disrespectful to the scientists who have chosen to believe in the existence of a god (after all, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs) - and that we should not disrespect those that do not believe in one, either. (But its unlikely the arguments between the two will stop.) x_x

mountain

mountain

None

well, science and religion can get along together.... i.e. creationism= using science to support creation.

anyway, does anyone know much about scientology? Like I read about it, it doesn't seem to be scientifically related at all. In fact it came from some novel apparently

Quote by EntropicForceIt has nothing to do with a sense of humour, Plunkies. Since you've decided to act like a spoiled little boy, I'm done wasting my time on you. Tell your parents to get you a proper babysitter or start paying me for babysitting you.

Wow you sure do like trying to insult people. And insulting them for being insulting is even better. At least mine are funny and not to be taken seriously though. No, but being called a spoiled brat by some old lady over the internet is like acid to me. I'm in tears right now. I hope you're satisfied!

Quote: As you said, life is harsh, so you'd better start learning to cope with it rather than expecting everyone else to coddle you for your pretenses. In fact, I'll leave you with a quote that, if you are not intellectually lazy yourself, you'll think on:

"How much boundlessly stupid naivety is there in the scholar's belief in his superiority, in the good conscience of his tolerance, in the simple, unsuspecting certainty with which his instincts treat the religious man as inferior and a lower type which he has himself evolved above and beyond." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Great. You should quote atheists more often, it makes you seem more credible. Of course I was never religious so it really has nothing to do with me.

Quote: What this means is that new discoveries change our understanding of the universe, but they don't change science itself. We're still using the same technique - experimentation - as Newton did when he discovered his Laws of Motion. In other words, scientific knowledge changes, but the discipline of science hasn't changed.

Yeah? And? If you have an alternative to experimentation I'm sure every scientist on the planet would love to hear it. (Note: Faith is not an answer).

Quote: Science is a wonderful human tool, but it needs to be understood, not worshipped. It is fallible, changing, and is severely limited as to what it can and cannot determine. Moreover, in the world we live in, oftentimes it's ruled by internal dogma and money, which means that experimentation depends entirely on what funding individual researchers are able to obtain.

As opposed to religion? Which isn't fallible (hah!) and SHOULD be worshiped (evidently)? Which isn't limited at all (I guess when you're just making up stories you don't have to limit yourself)? Which is never ruled by internal dogma or money(Religion? NEVER!)?

Yeah I'm aware that humans are flawed. Are you aware that flawed humans created religion too?

Quote: But I asked the question first: how do you know? I'm asking because I am genuinely curious. Every time I've asked it people tend to try and dodge the question rather than speaking honestly.

People probably dodge it because it's a meaningless, irrelevent, hypothetical, unrealistic question.

Quote: However, without getting too technical (If you want, I can get into the technical problems such as the quasar with enormous redshift that was found embedded in nearby spiral galaxy (NGC 7319) with far lower redshift - only 8" from its centre - or that no dark matter has been found in the Milky Way galaxy) we have a few problems:

Yeah I suppose you COULD get too technical. But instead you'll just copy and paste the 7 following problems from a christian propaganda website. Ok. I'll play along too.

Quote: 1. Missing Origin. The Big Bang theory assumes an original concentration of energy. But where did this energy come from? Astronomers sometimes speak of origin from a "quantum mechanical fluctuation within a vacuum." However, an energy source is still needed. Moreover, the theory still rests on the assumption that matter is pre-existing. But where did that matter come from?

Obviously you do not know the meaning of a "Quantum mechanical fluctuation within a vacuum", which shows a clear lack of research on your part. A vacuum fluctuation has zero mean (average) energy. Therefore no original concentration of energy is needed for a vacuum fluctuation to exist. Vacuum fluctuations do exist, and their effect has been experimentally measured in a process known as the "Casmir Effect". This is a process by which differences in energies due to vacuum fluctuations cause two metal plates that are held very close together to be pushed together.

Quote: 2. Missing Fuse. What ignited the Big Bang? The mass concentration proposed in this theory would remain forever as a universal black hole. Gravity would prevent it from expanding outward.

The forces that existed at this time are greatly different from the forces that we experience today. This is because of the different energy density of the universe. The extremely high energies, and the different forces that go with them acted as an anti-gravity and caused the universe to balloon outwards.

Quote:
3. Missing Star Formation. No natural way has been found to explain the formation of planets, stars, and galaxies. An explosion should produce, at best, an outward spray of gas and radiation. This gas should continue expanding, not form intricate planets, stars, and entire galaxies.

Its interesting that in the previous point you assert that gravity overcomes all, and prevents the creation of the universe, yet here you say that gravity is too weak to pull gas together into stars and galaxies. Anyhow, it has been observed in images of the Cosmic Background Radiation from the big bang that inhomogenities were present in the energy distribution. This means that there was an uneven spread of mass and thus (after the matter had cooled and slowed from the initial expansion) the more dense parts of the universe would have attracted each other and eventually formed stars and galaxies.

Quote: 4. Missing Antimatter. Some versions of the Big Bang theory require an equal production of matter and antimatter. However, only small traces of antimatter (positrons, antiprotons) are found in space.

I find it quite amusing here that you have used the logic that "Some models are wrong therefore all models must be wrong".

Both these sentences are correct (almost), but what you are implying is not. The models that predict (not require) equal amounts of matter and antimatter have not taken into account the recent evidence of CP violation in the decay of matter and antimatter. Put simply, this means that matter and antimatter decay at different rates (it has been observed as an experimental fact in the K-meson system, and I am currently involved in the observation of this effect in the B-meson system), and this means that in a system that produced equal amounts of matter and antimatter, more matter will be left over in the end. To produce all the matter in the known universe only a very small difference (1 in a million or less) is required, and measurement of this difference is currently underway.

Quote:
5. Missing Time. Some experiments indicate that the universe may be young, on the order of 10,000 years old. If true, then there is not sufficient time for the consequences of the Big Bang to unfold. A short time span would not allow for the gradual evolution of the earth, heavens, and mankind.

I would very much like to see these experiments. Did you not mention them because you know they are false? I cannot say anything more until you reveal what these experiments were.

Quote:
6. Missing Mass. Many scientists assume that the universe will eventually stop expanding and begin to collapse inward. Then it will again explode, and repeat its oscillating type of perpetual motion. But for oscillation to occur, the universe must have a certain density or distribution of mass. So far, measurements of the mass density are a hundred times smaller than expected. The universe does not appear to be oscillating. The necessary mass is "missing."

This "missing" mass has no effect whatsoever on the big bang model. The suggestion that this idea was made up to avoid an origin and destiny to the universe (and hence a god) is absurd. Also you have stated that scientists "assume" this to be true. This is also false. We do not know if the universe is closed - ("oscillating") , open (will continue to expand forever) or flat (will expand forever, but that expansion will slow down to almost nothing). Recent evidence is pointing to somewhere between open and flat, but like all good science, this is open to debate.

Quote: 7. Missing Life. In an evolving universe, life should have developed everywhere. Space should be filled with radio signals from intelligent life forms. Where are the other life forms that should by all rights be present on other planets?

It is widely recognised that life requires special conditions in order to survive and evolve. It is also recognised that for a civilisation to evolve these conditions must be extra special ( eg easy to access copper and tin deposits for a bronze age to develop, stable climate for cities to grow, Oxygen to allow invention of fire, etc. ). Therefore it is not unreasonable to assume, based on the evidence of the other planets in our solar system, and the planets that we have detected so far orbiting other stars, that life supporting planets are not common. For us to be receiving radio signals from other civilisations they must have developed radio before us since radio travels at the speed of light, and have sent signals strong enough for us to hear. A signal that is sent in all directions looses strength proportional to the square of the distance travelled. This means that for a far away civilisation it would be quite difficult for us to detect their signals, above the background noise of the universe. Another complication is that we have to be listening at the same frequency that the aliens sent the signal at. Since this frequency could be almost anything, we can only guess at what frequency they might use. Putting these all together, it is no wonder we haven't heard anything. And the possibility always remains that we are the only intelligent life in the universe. If this is true, it does not affect the big bang model, since evolution of life and creation of the universe are separate issues.

Quote: In fact, holes such as these, along with conflicting data, lead a number of scientists to publish "Open Letter to the Scientific Community" online (www.cosmologystatement.org) and in New Scientist. Admittedly, for me this is less of a spiritual question and more of a scientific/intellectual honesty one.

Uh huh. Well good for you for being "intellectually honest". You're doing a super job there.

Quote: Thing is, once we have all the information gathered, there comes a point when people who place their faith in the Big Bang theory just start pulling things out of their bums rather than accepting that there are things we can't answer.

No one in science doubts there are things we have yet to answer. But religion is the very definition of "pulling things out of their bums".

------

Quote by LunarTwilightThe fossils dating to the Cambrian Explosion are representatives of the "modern animals" that are here today.

Eh? There were no mammals, birds, reptiles, insects, and none of the fish were similar to anything modern. What do you mean by a "representative"?

Quote: In the light of the matter, there are quite a number of scientists who believe that evolution at the phyla level is just not possible. And by the way, it is the cause of the Cambrian Explosion that is undergoing debate, not the fossils themselves.

Huh? So what? I know a a scientist with a degree in truthology from Christian Tech that says evolution is a bunch of hooey! Doesn't make the claim any more reasonable. And I never disputed the fossil records, just your interpretation of how they got there.

Quote: -Biological Information
Every single of the one hundred trilliion cells in our body contains six feet of DNA that is coiled inside the cell. The DNA contains a four-letter chemical alphabet that spells out extensive and precise assembly instructions for every single one of the proteins from which our bodies are made. Not even one hypothesis has suceeeded or come close to explaining how information got into biological matter (e.g. by natural means, random chance, or sucessive, slight modifications.) It is very unlikely.

Oh no. Not more god of the gaps. Just because you can't concieve of how something got there doesn't necessarily mean it was god or magic or something.

DNA likely evolved from a simpler replicator, RNA, which likely had a simpler one, nucleic acids or somesuch. I don't claim to be an expert on this type of thing but I know bs when I see it.

Quote: -Physics
Gravity in the universe is fine-tuned to one part in a hundred million billion billion billion billion billion. There are more than thirty physical or cosmological parameters that require extremely accurate calibration in order to ensure that a universe can sustain life. (Let alone intelligent life?)

But that's only life that WE know. Perhaps life fine-tunes itself to the cosmos and not vice versa (which makes sense with evolution yes?). It's also possible that some of those parameters rely on each other, . If the values are interconnected then the chances are reduced and there are fewer parameter than what appears. I mean physics may restrict them from taking any different values (so there may not really be thirty parameters).

Quote: "The truth of claims of atheism simply cannot be proved - How do we know there is no God? The simple fact of the matter is that atheism is a faith, which draws conclusions that go beyond the available evidence." - Alister McGrath

The truth claims of a-leprechaunism simply cannot be proved - How do we know there are no leprechauns? The simple fact of the matter is that a-leprechaunism is a faith, which draws conclusions that go beyond the available evidence.

Wow it's like magic. Take any silly idea you have and insert it into that quote and it suddenly looks reasonable!

Quote: The bottom line is - people should stop criticizing or being disrespectful to the scientists who have chosen to believe in the existence of a god (after all, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs) - and that we should not disrespect those that do not believe in one, either. (But its unlikely the arguments between the two will stop.)

No one really has a problem with what a scientist believes. If he chooses to believe in god or thor or whatever then that's fine, as long as his dogma doesn't affect his science.

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

I pretty much would say all the evidence Plunkies points out anyway so to avoid repetition and perhaps to add a new spin to this discussion I'd like to add that there's some things about God and religion that have unanswered(?) questions.

1. Why did God create the universe and life? If he was perfect then why would he create anything new? He would need nothing more to add to his perfection so why did he do it? Perfects beings can't be bored because that implies a flaw in their nature.

2. Why does God choose a book(s) full of errors to convey his message on life? Why does he choose to word it in metaphor and ambiguous langauge? Wouldn't a simple straightfoward "to-do" list be easier?

3. If God knows everything why does he seem to show surprise, anger, and various other emotions in the Christian Bible. (Sorry if I am assuming you are Christian Entropic but correct me if I'm wrong.) He would never feel these emotions at the time of the events because he already knew the events would happen. he knows all beforehand.

4. Why does a perfect God make imperfect humans that choose to do bad things? Some say free will is needed to be happy. Why do humans need free will to be happy? Couldn't a perfect God somehow make free will unneeded to be happy?

5. Why does God give an eternity of punishment for a single life of sin. I mean yeah murder is bad but I think that an eternity in hell is going too far. There's no way to repent and get out of hell.

Quote: "The truth of claims of atheism simply cannot be proved - How do we know there is no God? The simple fact of the matter is that atheism is a faith, which draws conclusions that go beyond the available evidence." - Alister McGrath

To prove the negative of something is impossible. You can never prove there are no gnomes or genies because you'd have to look thoughout the whole universe to check every possible area that there are no gnomes or genies there. It requires a level of omniscience that would be godlike (ironic?).

And to end this I'd like to ask if you think Jesus is God. I've come across some people who say he's God's son and others who say he IS God. What are your thoughts on it?

And that's my two yen.

midnightLOVERS

midnightLOVERS

.:THE QUEEN OF HEARTS:.

well probably because religion and science always tend to clash at different points about the same topic. this clashing doesnt help the two get along and separates the religious believers from the science community.

one such disagreement is on the creation of the earth. the bible tells us that god created all living things and mankind in 6 days, yes 6 days because on the 7th day he didnt do anything but rest; however, scientist believed that world was created out of the "big bang" theory and that god has nothing to do with the universe's creation. see the problem.

furthermore there is the controversy of darwinsim. religious groups dont want to have anything to do with the theory of darwinsim and at one point in history, at least american history anyways, the teaching of darwinism was banned from schools. the scopes trails by the united states supreme court even up held the decision to ban the teaching in local schools because religious mother didnt want their children listen to such trash. im not saying that the study of darwinism is trash.

it just seems that religion and science arent meant to be hand-in-hand. think of it in terms of romance. they just dont have that chemistry that is needed to make them one with each other. or to get along at that matter. the people of the world also as a role to play in this and they seem not to want to intermingle with each other.

so for now it looks like god-lovers will be on one side and the science-nerds will be on the other. this is not to say that it wont change in the future. but for now it doesnt seem like its going to happen and the chances of it happen it is very slim

midnightLOVERS

Avatar, signature, and userpage skin all thanks to k1ru
Signature Image
soon love soon

Quote by Plunkies

Quote by LunarTwilightThe fossils dating to the Cambrian Explosion are representatives of the "modern animals" that are here today.

Eh? There were no mammals, birds, reptiles, insects, and none of the fish were similar to anything modern. What do you mean by a "representative"?

Okay, let me clarify myself - from the fossils, the body structures of the animals during the Cambrian Explosion have the same structure as modern animals today. (i.e. representatives)

Quote by Plunkies

Quote by LunarTwilightIn the light of the matter, there are quite a number of scientists who believe that evolution at the phyla level is just not possible. And by the way, it is the cause of the Cambrian Explosion that is undergoing debate, not the fossils themselves.

Huh? So what? I know a a scientist with a degree in truthology from Christian Tech that says evolution is a bunch of hooey! Doesn't make the claim any more reasonable. And I never disputed the fossil records, just your interpretation of how they got there.

Nope, by writing this, Im just trying to say that different people have different opinions - thats all. And I understand that there are scientists who think otherwise - nor am I trying to criticize them.
I know that you didn't dispute the fossil records. I was clarifying what was actually undergoing debate. (By the way, what is "hooey"? I was just wondering, because I live in Sg and never heard the term before :S)

Quote by Plunkies

Quote by LunarTwilight-Biological Information

Oh no. Not more god of the gaps. Just because you can't concieve of how something got there doesn't necessarily mean it was god or magic or something.

DNA likely evolved from a simpler replicator, RNA, which likely had a simpler one, nucleic acids or somesuch. I don't claim to be an expert on this type of thing but I know bs when I see it.

Quote by LunarTwilight-Physics

But that's only life that WE know. Perhaps life fine-tunes itself to the cosmos and not vice versa (which makes sense with evolution yes?). It's also possible that some of those parameters rely on each other, . If the values are interconnected then the chances are reduced and there are fewer parameter than what appears. I mean physics may restrict them from taking any different values (so there may not really be thirty parameters).

What do you mean by bias? I am just stating a fact in what I wrote up there - what I wrote about DNA and physics was pure facts, no opinions at all. That includes the statement that "no hypothesis has ever come close to proving how DNA and that huge multitude of information got there in the first place." Yes, I do know about RNA. Unfortunately, the same thing applies. Our bodies are made up of proteins, and to build just one protein, you typically need 1200 to 2000 letters or bases - which is a lot of information.

I understand that we all are not experts on such subjects. However, I do read on DNA, and I check the facts whenever I post something. I have gone the extra mile to check if anything I have said was wrong, including when you first disagreed with me. Im just trying to suggest reasons for why some scientists believe in a god. I understand that there are scientists who think otherwise, too. Definitely. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Quote by Plunkies

Quote by LunarTwilight"The truth of claims of atheism simply cannot be proved - How do we know there is no God? The simple fact of the matter is that atheism is a faith, which draws conclusions that go beyond the available evidence." - Alister McGrath

The truth claims of a-leprechaunism simply cannot be proved - How do we know there are no leprechauns? The simple fact of the matter is that a-leprechaunism is a faith, which draws conclusions that go beyond the available evidence.

Wow it's like magic. Take any silly idea you have and insert it into that quote and it suddenly looks reasonable!

Judging by your choice of words; I am sorry if you felt I insulted you. I assure you I did not mean to. By quoting that quote, I am trying to say this:
Science can never prove there is a god, or disprove the existence of a god. So that is why some believe in a god, and some don't.

Quote by Plunkies

Quote by LunarTwilightThe bottom line is - people should stop criticizing or being disrespectful to the scientists who have chosen to believe in the existence of a god (after all, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs) - and that we should not disrespect those that do not believe in one, either. (But its unlikely the arguments between the two will stop.)

No one really has a problem with what a scientist believes. If he chooses to believe in god or thor or whatever then that's fine, as long as his dogma doesn't affect his science.

Finally - I totally agree with you on this. Thats what Ive been trying to say. What you said; scientists who believe in god shouldnt let it interfere in their science - I 100% agree. And both should be respected.

ACDCrocks711

RLH IV

hmmmmm because science exiss and god doesn't.......

(>')> <('<)
the dancing kirbys shall own you

page 2 of 9 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next » 196 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.